THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Books for Learning How to Draw?  (Read 8565 times)

Napoleon the Clown

• Emoticontraindication
  • Worriesome
Good Books for Learning How to Draw?
« on: 05 Oct 2006, 23:37 »

Went to the library today and checked out a book on drawing.  Damn worthless.  Any suggestions for books that actually give usefull tips other than what a pencil is? :|
Scaring the shit outta Hannelore since...  God knows when. (T-shirt reference FTW)

Hoopah

Re: Good Books for Learning How to Draw?
« Reply #1 on: 06 Oct 2006, 12:23 »

Well there's Scott McClouds books on comics...  the Wizard library on How To, from their masterclass stuff that used to be in teh magazine.  Drawing for Dummies (or idiots, I can never remember).  There's alot more too depending on what aspect you're looking for.  I suggest looking in a comic Shop (NEW England Comics is my local and has some good stuff, and materials), or a Art/Craft supply store like Michaels, or Utrecht, etc.

Hell take a poke at Amazon.com or even E-bay... you may find something good.

Napoleon the Clown

• Emoticontraindication
  • Worriesome
« Reply #2 on: 06 Oct 2006, 13:06 »

Thanks dude.  This weekend I'll poke around at tht the hobby shop.
Scaring the shit outta Hannelore since...  God knows when. (T-shirt reference FTW)

IndieRawk

« Reply #3 on: 06 Oct 2006, 19:36 »

well, there is the book on how to stop reading retarded books that act as if they will teach you to draw

BTW all drawing is about is practice, took me four years of lots of drawing and now I'm quite good.

Mnementh

« Reply #4 on: 07 Oct 2006, 15:40 »

Indierawk, How is it that you've only been around for three days and I'm already pissed off at you for being a pretentious and annoying?
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2006, 15:53 by Mnementh »

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #5 on: 07 Oct 2006, 15:45 »

IndieRawk, let's not forget the book on how to be helpful and not annoy everyone and make them howl for your blood.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Napoleon the Clown

• Emoticontraindication
  • Worriesome
« Reply #6 on: 07 Oct 2006, 16:04 »

Just ignore him.  That's what I'm doing.

TrueNeutral

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2006, 06:26 »

Well, originally, THIS: http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/tutorial.html is what taught me how to draw but I have since moved away (mostly) from the manga style.

Napoleon the Clown

• Emoticontraindication
  • Worriesome
« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2006, 10:46 »

Oooohhh, nice site.  That should be quite helpful.  Thanks.

I have the sudden overwhelming urge to make a joke regarding your name...  Get the fuck off the fence! ;)

m0o0oeh

« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2006, 04:02 »

It all depends what you want to draw, AFAIK. I've been looking round for some good books on anatomy, and form etc... as I want to try my hand at sculpting, I wanted to find out some of the basic principles, seen as I can't draw for toffee.....

But yeah, if it's humanoid-based things, then I'd recommend a look at Edouard Lanteri's "Modelling and Sculpting The Human Figure". It's an old book - 190something it was first published, but it's been reprinted loads of times... but it's supposed to be one of the best books around for this sort of thing...

The other option is "Human Anatomy For Artists - The Elements Of Form" - another good book, more geared towards trad. artists poss, but I haven't had a good read of it yet TBH.

But yeah, that's all I got...

Joe

Charming Liar

« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2006, 05:26 »

I can't draw worth a bent nickel. I've made numerous attempts to learn. I even went so far as to pursue many on-line, and non-college related endeavors in order to master at least some measure of rudimentry skill. I still can't. I understand now that when an artist looks at a picture, they see the circles and lines which compose the picture as a whole. I don't see that. I try, oh how I try... to no avail. Aristic theory does nothing to help me, because I can SEE the image I want clearly in my minds eye... but my fingers and sense of perception won't cooperate.

I'm constantly entertaining the notion of trying again... perhaps I'll check out some of these books. So you have my thanks too, guys.

logosmonkey

« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2006, 08:09 »

I can highly suggest any of Berne Hogarths books. Dynamic Anatomy , Dynamic Figure Drawing...etc. He's done one on the human head, the hands, light and shadow and drapery as well. These are outstanding books.

Arasi

« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2006, 09:02 »

If you're mostly wanting to draw humans and the like, you may want to look up Bridgeman's works. Two very good over-all anatomy books he's put out are Bridgeman's Constructive Anatomy and Bridgeman's Life Drawings. He also has a ton of others that focus on certain subjects - one for hands, one for heads, feet, etc.

But if you're wanting to concentrate on other things, well...nothing comes off the top of my head. Hope this helps, mate.

Shishio

« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2006, 08:58 »

I can't draw, but I agree what books you want to look for depends on your style.  But regardless of your style, you still have to know the fundamentals, such as anatomy.  I think it would be worth your while to take figure drawing classes if you can.  In the way of books, I have heard good things about Andrew Loomis.

ekmesnz

• Emoticontraindication
  • Sprung out fully formed, knock-kneed and upright.
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2007, 01:34 »

To learn to draw, you need a pencil, a piece of paper, and eyes.

Walk around, and when you see something, draw it. Do it again and again. Don't stop.

HFrankenstein

• Emoticontraindication
  • El Bueno!!
    • Hindrances to Progress
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2007, 03:28 »

One of the nice things about drawing is that you oftentimes don't have to put forth that much extra effort to improve at it.  You just have to do it, whenever the fancy strikes you, and you'll just plain get better the more you do it, whether you're trying to or not.  Things like Math and Physics don't enjoy that luxury.

Of course, there is a lot of technical skill that you'll want to read up on.  Perspective, in particular, is something that I think all artists should get a handle on, because few things ruin an image like bad perspective.  And anatomy is important, too, but I do pretty much nothing but cartoons, so it's not as big a deal for me.

Bookwise, I've never read a book in my life, because I'm illiterate and I'm dictating right now, but I'm sure you can find almost anything you need with some careful Googling.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2007, 03:31 by HFrankenstein »
Hindrances to Progress Games to get in the way of your dreams!

Splintered1

« Reply #16 on: 26 Feb 2007, 07:42 »

Hogarth and Bridgeman are great books--as already mentioned.  I think it also depends on what and how you want to draw.  Are you going for a more realistic style or something more manga?  Hogarth is great because his techniques will help you draw better without reference, which is valuable when you're working on a comic and don't have reference for every single frame.  Bridgeman relies more on having a model or reference available.  However, no matter what your style is, I recommend finding a figure drawing session somewhere and attending often.  I've learned more about drawing from (1) just doing it (which has also been suggested repeatedly) and (2) hanging out and talking with other artists about what works for them.
-KW

Narshada

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2007, 03:45 »

As previously mentioned - bridgeman and hogarth for anatomy.
Other than that, drawing on the right side of the brain was interesting, but I only read about a chapter before I loaned it out and never got it back.
Perspective for comic book artists is a great book on.. you guessed it, perspective.
making comics by scott McCloud has some interesting ideas, but not really a 'how-to' book. Drawing comics thw marvel way - useful but very dated.

I'm going to put a further reading section on my website in the next couple of weeks which should cover some more stuff.

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2007, 23:13 »

Not shure if this would help or not but recently got a copy of "The Computer Cartoon Kit" by Steve Marchant. Its not much help in learning to draw but thought i'd mention because it helped me figure out some aspects of photoshop that Jeph didn't cover in his tutorial.
*was getting tired of that slug*

Kana

• Plantmonster
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2007, 12:06 »

I can't believe no one has mentioned Edwards' book, Drawing on the Right Side of your Brain.  Manga and cartoons are great and fun things to draw but you need to learn the basics before you cartoonize them.  She has a new book out called The New Drawing on the Right Side of Your Brain - which has a number of good exercies and principles in it for anybody to read and start to pick up drawing.  Its one of the most famous drawing tutorial books in the US as its become doctrine for most starter college level drawing classes.  Also, find a good book on anatomy.  Not even one regarding drawing, just a book that details finely multiple poses and structure of both females and males.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #21 on: 18 Aug 2007, 23:15 »

Indierawk, did have a point though. Even if he did attempt to point it out while being an ass.

Practice. Practice. Practice. It's the only way to get better. That being said, go to the store and buy a shitload of notebooks, and pens. Fuck pencils. Seriously. My art didn't start improving until I started using strictly pen. Knowing you can't erase makes you more aware of your lines.

Draw all the time. Every chance you have draw.

If you can't figure out what to draw, draw whatever is around you. If you're completely out of ideas and bored with drawing whats around you, try to change it up. Draw only the negative space in a still life, alternatively draw only the positive space. Do a continuous line drawing. Look up a random genre of art and draw something for it. Draw something with your eyes closed. Draw an objects while looking only at it and never at your paper. Do timed drawings. draw for 5 minutes and see where it gets you. Draw basic shapes on your paper, and then make something else from them. Try copying famous works. Go to your museum, and draw some of the art there, or even some of the other visitors. Draw using graphs, and slowly work away from them.

I went to art school from preschool to 11th grade. Off the top of my head those were some pretty basic learning techniques. I took maybe one drawing class, but we had to draw a lot in my printmaking class, too. Basically, if you practice every single day, your get better.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

malfeasance

« Reply #22 on: 14 Oct 2007, 04:19 »

I've been getting pretty good at drawing faces in my own slightly cartoony way, but I like to draw little comics, which entails action. This in turn means a variety of poses that I just can't freakin pull off. I've always wondered if there are tricks about perspective and human anatomy that I just don't know. Any good books for that sort of thing?

BoutASouffle

« Reply #23 on: 14 Oct 2007, 19:05 »

While I also agree with what above posters said about the best way to get better at drawing is to just draw as often as possible, I do think there are several books that help discipline your drawing skills. I would just read as many drawing books as possible. You almost always pick up something from them. I've been reading more "formal" books on life drawing and folds and perspective, but I also learned a lot from "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" --- a 1970's Stan Lee/John Buscema book my friends got me on a whim for my birthday.

I also think the Scott McCloud books are essential. I don't know how much they'll improve your drawing, but they really flesh out the theory behind the way in which comics tell stories. I actually read "Understanding Comics" for a film class here at NYU, and it's probably taught me a lot more than some traditional textbooks.

muteKi

« Reply #24 on: 14 Oct 2007, 19:25 »

You just have to do it, whenever the fancy strikes you, and you'll just plain get better the more you do it, whether you're trying to or not.  Things like Math and Physics don't enjoy that luxury.

I disagree on this point.

Also, I am curious as to what the content of a book like IndieRawk suggested would actually have in it... I get a vibe of "How to find and make use of a drawing help book for dummies" in such a thing, which is what the whole topic is about anyway. But what can I say, I've been blatantly ignoring internet sarcasm for several years now.

But whatever, I've kinda given up on trying to draw for a while now. I'm far too analytical for it.

Jeanine

« Reply #25 on: 14 Oct 2007, 19:37 »

I've been enjoying a romp through Barbara Bradley's "Drawing People - How to portray the clothed figure" lately - it's been very helpful in my quest to create a less cartoonish style for an upcoming print comic series.

As far as practice - I whole heartedly recommend 30 second sketches.  Just park your butt in a busy place and start drawing very simple sketches, only spending 30 seconds on each one  It really helps you to isolate the important aspects of each subject, and once you have that down everything else is much easier.

t
Pages: [1]   Go Up