THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 09:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music that makes you dance like Carlton on a bourbon bender  (Read 7042 times)

OHsmeat

I have a deep dark part in myhead that yearns for sugary pop music and a friend recently showed me the Pipettes
check them out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsvKJ65-TlM

Does anyone have recommendations for similar tunes?

*Sights*

• Larger than most fish
  • " "" "

Sugary Pop? I'm sure you've heard about Architecture in Helsinki.

Not really sugary pop, in fact, not at all, but the Unicorns and Enon make me want dance. I'll admit, it's more of a pregnant-madman rain dance, but they certainly give my feet that fuzzy feeling.
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2006, 22:41 by *Sights* »

OHsmeat

i used to watch this band rehearse in brighton a couple of years back. actually a guy who ran the door at a few venues put this band together but that seems to have been forgotten. i don't object to their music but after i saw them live about ten times the novelty wore off. i notice that one of them has changed now, hadn't seen that til you posted.

anyhow, i guess the phil spector vibe is the biggest influence so i recommend the ronettes, the crystals, the shangri-las, the shirelles, the chantels, irma thomas, gloria jones - you get the idea.

Awesome possum I haven't heard of any of those peeps though I have heard Architecture they aren't "quite" my style though still good.
Thanks a lot!

chamberk

that song has been stuck in my head for weeks and i can't get rid of it and i love it.

hooray!

The Eyeball Kid

AiH make me dance like a maniac every time i hear them or see them or think about them

OHsmeat

Yeah the first time I heard them my booty went into maximum overdrive and wouldn't stop shaking for a week. I developed a tolerance after a while but not without chronic bruising. I'm better now.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TrueNeutral

nuisance

AiH make me dance like a maniac every time i hear them or see them or think about them
Weird, the only time I've seen them live was in a museum, and it was very quiet and tranquil, so I can't really imagine anything dancey about them.

Tommy's recommendations are the relevant ones, but if you feel wrong about going to the source and want some contemporary indie band, maybe try The Brunettes?  They've signed to Sub Pop recently, and their name is only one syllable different from The Pipettes. ;)

soak

I saw the Brunettes open for the Shins and dancing is definately what they are about. At one point the whole touring band were wearinf Mary-Kate and Ashley masks. Awesomely fun, Great reccomendation.

robert g

Major Organ And the Adding Machine on Orange Twin. It's an insane Elephant Six project that's completely absurd but it makes me want to jump up and down and hoot and holler like a mad man.

Also, Rage Against The Machines' covers of Kick Out The Jams and Renegades.

OHsmeat

Man you guys are aweosme, we have classics, elephant 6 AND rage against the machines. My girly pop gland goes yum. I think after I check out all these bands I'm going to have to listen to metal for a bit to feel like a man again. Or just mosh in a library or something.

thepugs

Electric Six.
"Dance Commander", "Improper Dancing", "Nuclear War (On The Dance Floor)", "Dance Epidemic", "Dance-a-thon 2005".  And those are the songs with 'dance' in the title; many more will make you dance.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit

I was at a friends house tonight, and the popular surgury-drama Grey's Anatomy was on.  The song Dirty Mind was on in one scene.  I was pleased, because I wouldn't have known what that was if this thread had not been created a couple days ago.

OHsmeat

Thats why I like these forums love is spread like hot butter on a greasy sidewalk.

AlexAttack

The Pogues. Especially when you're drinking.
Even if you don't dance you'll still tap your foot or bang the table with your fist or possibly start a fight...but it'll all be in good fun.

OHsmeat

Yeah I've heard tons of stuff about the pogues but I was leery cause I assumed they were like the dropkick murphys is this true?

soak

Pogues >>>>>> ... >>>>>> Dropkick Murphys

Drop Kick Murphys are like druken frat boys who think their red hair makes them Irish.

The Pogues are whiskey soaked genius.

OHsmeat

ohh yummy, I like when my speakers pour forth liquids...Especially whiskey. I will procure Pogues now.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/

The top ten ultimate dancin' tunes of all times are as follows:

1. Ewigkeit - Strange Volk
2. Laibach - Tanz Mit Laibach
3. Coil - Disco Hospital
4. Finntroll - Forsvinn Du Som Lyser
5. Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)
6. Alien Vampires - I'm Dead Fuck You
7. Angelspit - Fuck Fashion
8. Mortiis - Parasite God
9. Neuroticfish - The Bomb
10. The Sisters of Mercy - This Corrosion

This list is completely final and non-negotiable. You may now all return to your homes.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

The Eyeball Kid

Pogues >>>>>> ... >>>>>> Dropkick Murphys

Drop Kick Murphys are like druken frat boys who think their red hair makes them Irish.

The Pogues are whiskey soaked genius.

and Flogging Molly (who make me dance) fall somewhere in the middle

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt

Coil - Red Birds Will Fly Out of the East and Destroy Paris in a Night

Get me drunk and play this song and I'll dance like a motherfucker.

Also works with the Sisters of Mercy's First and Last and Allways album.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2006, 02:26 by Misereatur »
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

salada

• Curry sauce

Electric Six.
"Dance Commander", "Improper Dancing", "Nuclear War (On The Dance Floor)", "Dance Epidemic", "Dance-a-thon 2005".  And those are the songs with 'dance' in the title; many more will make you dance.

hey you know that every song off their album "fire" contained a reference to at least one of the following: nuclear war, fire, or electricity. there's something worth dancing too.

anyway, venetian snares makes me dance like an epileptic on speed binge.

OHsmeat

Yeah Doormouse makes me get up and jump too, the Skelechairs single w V. Snares was a match made in heaven. Whenever I wanna dance around my house and air microphone to bass I put in Freaked Out Mess  I <3 gabber  :mrgreen:

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch

Hearing people speak of The Pipettes (fondly) fills me warm sugary joyous love...

Along similar lines... Tilly and The Wall (yay for tapdancing), and also
Johnny Boy -
I'm saying this on the basis of one song, the awesomely titled 'You Are The Generation That Bought More Shoes And You Get What You Deserve'

And The Long Blondes, The Go! Team and Metric....

As for the one song that causes my feet to start doing impromptu spaz feet shuffling (apart from Pipettes, which is more of an arm flailing song),
Hot Chip - Over and Over.
It's the one that, at 3 in the morning in the club, when I think I have no energy, brings me back to life to make more of a tit of myself.

The best kind of music!

TheGrinder

I have a deep dark part in myhead that yearns for sugary pop music and a friend recently showed me the Pipettes
check them out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsvKJ65-TlM

Does anyone have recommendations for similar tunes?

I had never heard that song before, and I actually really like it. Thanks!

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.

Les Savy Fav
The Pixies
Of Montreal
Beulah
Blood Brothers (but in that really thrashy kinda way)
Franz Ferdinand (but in that twitchy, jerky kinda way)
LCD Soundsystem
MSTRKRFT
Ladytron
I like the way you work it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up