THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Indie Rock Records - Best Of The Last 7 Years....  (Read 15846 times)

soak

Re: Indie Rock Records - Best Of The Last 7 Years....
« Reply #50 on: 22 Oct 2006, 00:28 »

We are on to the second page without mentioning the shins!!! Have you people never seen Garden State!!!

Seriously though -

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree
Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah - S/T
Calexico / Iron + Wine - In The Reins

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #51 on: 22 Oct 2006, 01:21 »

Dont get me wrong, I like The Shins. but they didnt age well.  And no I havemt seen Garden State, also they arent very rock, mostly just indie.  At least to me, indie is a modifier used on existing genres, in this threads, case rock.  So dont challenge our collective indie cred, it is beyond reproach.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Felix_

« Reply #52 on: 22 Oct 2006, 03:47 »

Dont get me wrong, I like The Shins. but they didnt age well.  And no I havemt seen Garden State, also they arent very rock, mostly just indie.  At least to me, indie is a modifier used on existing genres, in this threads, case rock.  So dont challenge our collective indie cred, it is beyond reproach.

:-D haha

I've never once heard The Shins, I suppose I should remedy that. I also haven't seen Garden State, although I did think about renting it a few times. I'm such a n00b.

- 302 Indie Cred. ;(

chamberk

« Reply #53 on: 22 Oct 2006, 12:11 »

The Shins are very pleasant to listen to, but I'd hardly say they're required listening, and Garden State is certainly not required watching.

I like both, though.

kablaaamo

« Reply #54 on: 22 Oct 2006, 12:32 »

What chamberk said. Honestly. I have both Shins records and for a time, I listened to them a lot...but I rarely feel the need to listen to them now.

Not sure if it qualifies as rock, but check out anything by Destroyer, especially Streethawk: A Seduction and his latest, Rubies.
Malajube - Tromp-L'oeil is beyond excellent, as is their first album, Le Compte Complet. All the lyrics are in french, but that doesn't matter because they're just SO GOOD otherwise.
Of Montreal - Satanic Panic in the Attic; more indie pop than indie rock but this record is like crack.
Spooooooon. This thread has no Spoon love. Girls Can Tell, Kill the Moonlight and Gimme Fiction are all recent and all good. (Gimme Fiction is my favourite though.)
Wax Mannequin - The Price. DO NOT mix up Wax Mannequin and Jack's Mannequin. Not the same! Wax is one of my favourites and his albums can't really be found in stores; download....then see him when he tours! (This is constantly...if you're in Canada. I hope you're in Canada for this reason.) One of the best live acts I've ever seen.

I also second the mentions of:
the Wrens - the Meadowlands
the Weakerthans - Left and Leaving (I've been listening to this one all afternoon myself)
Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass (was listening to it all morning, hah)
Architecture In Helsinki - In Case We Die
and any of the Hold Steady and TV on the Radio (I don't have a favourite record of either.)

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #55 on: 23 Oct 2006, 16:07 »

Discounting the great records already mentioned, I'll recommend:

Dugong - Hat Danko (2003)

Oxes - s/t (2001)

Le Tigre - Feminist Sweepstakes (2001)

The Get Up Kids - Something To Write Home About (1999)

This Ain't Vegas - The Black Lung Captain (2003)

Polaris - s/t (2006)

The Paper Chase - Now You Are One Of Us (2006)
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Jenno

• Furry furrier
« Reply #56 on: 23 Oct 2006, 19:20 »

Aussie indie!
Any excuse to pimp my favorite Australian band.
[img width= height=]http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/8764/200pxgobetweens2000friendspw4.jpg[/img]
From wikipedia: "The Friends Of Rachel Worth is the seventh album by Brisbane indie band The Go-Betweens, released 12 years after their sixth, 16 Lovers Lane. For this album they were joined by all three members of American indie rock band Sleater-Kinney, who acted as their backing band."

This is one of my favorite albums ever. I was quite upset when Grant McLennan died last year, effectively ending this band forever. :(

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #57 on: 23 Oct 2006, 22:14 »

Quote from: wolves
Le Tigre - Feminist Sweepstakes (2001)

seriously? i love le tigre's debut but i can't stand this album.

Totally seriously. It was the last gasp of Kathleen hanna's greatness before the mediocrity and compromise of This Island, and I thought they put a political stance across a lot better with this album, particularly on Dyke March. And it's just so much fun to dance around my living room to. It's quite a departure from the first though so I can see how you'd like that but hate this, much less lo-fi and without the feeling of Julie Ruin songs with other people on them. Actually that might be my problem with it, the first is great but too close to Julie Ruin which I thought did it better.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up