THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Origami it up!  (Read 36619 times)

soft_repose

Origami it up!
« on: 13 Oct 2006, 18:23 »

I have been looking for a diagram for a paper tiger for what seems like an age.  The particular diagram that I want (for about the only tiger that looks worth anything, at least from what I have found) is sort of a one time deal by Komatsu Hideo.  It was made for the Tanteidem Orgami conference and one diagram was made, and it was put in Tanteiden magazine for that year.  Unfortunately they do not backorder to this issue.  So my question is this:  Does anybody have a copy of the Tanteiden Magazine Vol. 8 (issues 43-48)?  And if so would you be willing to scan and email me that freaking tiger diagram so that I can finally have my paper tiger?  :D  I figure this is pretty much a long shot, but let me know please!  And hey, if you have any good origami diagrams or cool things that you have made, go ahead and post pictures.  Because basically origami rules. 

Peace.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: Origami it up!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2006, 21:09 »

have you seen star wars origami?

Napoleon the Clown

• Emoticontraindication
  • Worriesome
« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2006, 21:25 »

Check for it on eBay.  They have damn near everything that's legal to sell on their.  And a few things that aren't...
Scaring the shit outta Hannelore since...  God knows when. (T-shirt reference FTW)

soft_repose

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2006, 21:35 »

have you seen star wars origami?

Yes!  That pretty much rocks, and makes me laugh.  Oh the fun times we could have if he would (a.) get that book published, or (b.) give up already and just post the freaking diagrams on the web page.   :-)

soft_repose

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2006, 21:41 »

Check for it on eBay.? They have damn near everything that's legal to sell on their.? And a few things that aren't...

That acutllay is a very good idea.  I don't know why I hadn't thought of it already...

...except for ebay apparently blows and doesn't have a listing for it.  *crosses fingers*  Maybe sometime in the near future.  Thanks for the suggestion!

rambunctiousky

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2006, 08:31 »

I enjoy origami as well! Yay!

Would you be okay with a tiger digram that isn't the specific one you are looking for? If you are I would suggest going to your local library and talking to a librarian. They will likely have origami books and if you're lucky one of them might have a tiger.

I'm currently at work, but I can look in my books at home for a tiger diagram. I know I've seen lion diagrams, but now you've made me curious about tigers...

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2006, 15:07 »

origami roses. i tried to learn these things for so damn long. i had to move to japan and take an afternoon long class to get it right.

p.s. i did not really move to japan just for the origami. really.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jan 2007, 07:35 »

Pretty! I made a lotus flower when I was on a school excursion to a Buddhist Temple. I have it stuck up on my wall:

Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

Ally

« Reply #8 on: 01 Jan 2007, 11:20 »

My friend is amazing at origami. She sits around and does it during math, claiming that it's the only productive time she has in school. Once she gave me this trampoline-thing... and once this box with wings... she makes up her own patterns! It's a cool hobby.

ameliaamy

« Reply #9 on: 03 Jan 2007, 00:22 »

OK, I had to go all psycho google-stalker on this, because it was bugging me.

I did find people who posted pictures of the folded tiger on their sites, and thought maybe you could e-mail them:

http://www.giladorigami.com/BO_Tanteidan_Mags_Vol_08.html

http://briancarper.net/gallery2/origami/mammals/img_1597.jpg.html

http://cap.anu.edu.au/~wpc/origami/20021219/

and some people who had problems with the directions: http://www.thekhans.me.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1273

and a gent who says he has the diagram and is willing to trade, but the page is old: http://www.flickr.com/groups/foldingfreaks/discuss/4544/

</end stalking>

-Amy

salada

• Curry sauce
« Reply #10 on: 06 Jan 2007, 21:54 »

modular origami = best.

here is a small one i made the other day. i think it has 36 pieces of paper in it? the photo isn't very good, but it's kind of a spikey ball.

and princy! your lotus is awesome.

fozmo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #11 on: 07 Jan 2007, 11:42 »

modular origami = best.

Yes, indeed. Which is why I've made this thing:

Yes, I'm horrible at picture-taking. Yes, I know it's way up close. Now shush.

Salada, I think that thing you've got is properly called a stellated math-name-for-24-sides-gon.

And I'd post picutures of the buckyball I made using the same kind of modules, except when I tried to put all of them together, I realized I'd done it wrong. :cry:

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #12 on: 07 Jan 2007, 12:26 »

Thanks! It is made up of lots of small rectangles of paper and you just need an elastic band to hold it all together!
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2007, 20:09 »

Heres a couple pics of origami things. A modular cube (folded out of textbook pages the University refused to buy back), a simple paphiopedilium orchid and vase (no tape or glue), and my attempt at a Murex seashell.

I've gained nothing from Zen.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jan 2007, 10:23 »

i've eaten one of these, it was yummy, but i did not know what it was called. [the thing inside, not the actual shell]

i have no pictures of my origami, we used to do it our art class run by chinese lady.
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2007, 12:06 »

My sister and I used to do Origami years ago. She was more into it than I was.

I have no pictures either.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

SonofZ3

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2007, 17:06 »

i've eaten one of these, it was yummy, but i did not know what it was called. [the thing inside, not the actual shell]

i have no pictures of my origami, we used to do it our art class run by chinese lady.

I've never eaten one, but I do like seafood and I've always thought conch salad sounded like it would be really good. Unfortunately we have a severe lack of Mollusk in the every day PA cuisine.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2007, 12:46 »

I do origami during my classes at school. I actually made 100 paper cranes in japanese class, they are all only a couple centimeters tall. I have a picture on my flickr. www.flickr.com/hartleyk (link may not work). I'll search for the picture later. I also got an origami a day calendar! Pretty damn awsome!
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

SonofZ3

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2007, 17:59 »

I had the address somewhere for a place in Yokohama to send cranes to for the Sadako foundation, now if I can only find it...
Those Origami-a-Day calendars are the shit. Even if you don't feel like folding the model it shows, the paper is still nice. I really like some of the colors and patterns it has.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2007, 11:34 »

What is the Sadako foundation? I ned to get rid of some cranes...

The paper is awsome in my calendar! I <3 it. Best christmas pressent ever.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jan 2007, 09:52 »

This is actually more like kirigami (papercutting) than origami, but I made these stars in all sorts of sizes to decorate my dorm room this winter:)
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
« Reply #21 on: 19 Jan 2007, 13:51 »

OMG, that is absolutely beautiful. I love that star!

Toeofdoom

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2007, 15:55 »

I kinda lost intrest in origami at about 14 i guess :(

Still got some cool looking cubes and stuff... :D

majben

« Reply #23 on: 05 Feb 2007, 00:39 »

Modular origami is the best. That's why I have a drawer full of the units from salada's model. The largest model i've made from them that didn't colaspe (without glue) is a semi stellated soccer ball from 180 pieces. There are some pretty neat nonmodular stuff though. The rose that yelley made is hard, I know. It takes forever to learn how to do the twist folding required. Oh and sonofZ3's shell scares me it's so good.
Murex seashell.

Enie

« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2007, 05:21 »

Ooh, I love origami! However all I can make are cranes and stars, which I thought was rather impressive until I looked at this thread.
With all the japanese students I've have we have tons of origami paper, and LOADS of cranes, something about when someone's ill they make loads of them and string them up, it's good luck I think. I have loads of them hanging about.

I love that star though, good stuff :)

lithiacat

« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2007, 16:30 »

i wish i could do something that looked good. the only thing i can make is a box and a paper balloon.

SonofZ3

« Reply #26 on: 14 Feb 2007, 12:09 »

Something easy that still ends up looking pretty good is the modular japanese brochade. They're simple to make, but look impressive. This one was made from 4in squares, but you can make them half that size without too much difficulty. There should be directions online somewhere. I learned it from a book called "Practical Origami" by Rick Beech.

nigglesworth

« Reply #27 on: 15 Feb 2007, 23:45 »

Speaking of Sadako and cranes..
I've managed to make up for my lack origami skill by making the same thing many, many times over. I've made thousands of those little stars from the long strips of paper, and 100 paper cranes to stick on the Sadako statue at Peace Park in Seattle.

Here's the birds!

Here's my pseudo-meaningful pose.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2007, 15:50 by nigglesworth »

WelshPete

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #28 on: 19 Feb 2007, 08:46 »

Hey nigglesworth dont think ur links r working,

What you interest me would be seeing some kind of giant piece of Origami!

Wonder if there is a record or somethin for it....gonna go check that out  :?

SonofZ3

« Reply #29 on: 19 Feb 2007, 09:40 »

check out the record for the world's largest origami crane. It was folded inside of a football stadium. It had a wingspan of a little over 215 feet. It was 120 feet tall and weighed almost a ton. On the other side, a professor in a Japanese university folded a paper crane using a needle and a microscope from a 1mm square of paper.

WelshPete

« Reply #30 on: 19 Feb 2007, 11:33 »

Yeah i saw a picture of the huge crane! Its mad the size on it!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #31 on: 19 Feb 2007, 17:48 »

i used to have an oragami aquarium in my kitchen when i was little. this thread has inspired me to make another one. let's see if i'm as good as i used to be. (probably not.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

nigglesworth

« Reply #32 on: 20 Feb 2007, 15:50 »

Hey nigglesworth dont think ur links r working,

Agh, thanks! They should be fixed now.

anjelliclecat

« Reply #33 on: 04 Apr 2007, 12:54 »

O_O This thread is pretty awesome!  Origami is all kinds of fun, I wish the Origami club at my college were more active, but oh well.  Here are some things that I have made recently ...
(still figuring out how to post pictures, sorry!)

http://photos-957.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v67/32/14/2104379/n2104379_30557957_6698.jpg is a miniature Kawasaki rose sitting on top of a star bowl that a friend taught me ... next to a quarter for size comparison. 

http://photos-900.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v66/32/14/2104379/n2104379_30597900_9983.jpg was my first commission ... a Japanese professor wanted 20 individual place settings/party favors for a retirement party that she was hosting. 

I hope you eventually found the tiger model that you were looking for, soft_repose! 
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2007, 13:08 by anjelliclecat »

w00tang

« Reply #34 on: 15 Jan 2009, 18:53 »

yeah i saw the biggest origami mosaic. fuckin nuts its like as big as a basketball court

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #35 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:30 »

Seeing this thread inspired me to do some Origami!

I spent about 1.5 hours last night making and writing about 15 Valentine's Day Cards for friends and family. They're not especially fancy, but they look kinda neat I think:

I with I had taken a photo of all of them together, I used several different Origami papers and cardstock, but now they're already in sealed envelopes, waiting to be brought to the post office in a few weeks.

zerobar

« Reply #36 on: 09 Feb 2009, 14:41 »

Hey, I used to do a whole lot of origami. Thought I'd post one of my past designs.

Wild Boar

Here's a like to the diagrams
http://www.thekhans.me.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2453&highlight=wild+boar

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #37 on: 10 Feb 2009, 09:33 »

Wow, you design your own?  That's pretty damned cool.

Mega bonus points because they actually look good!  (I mean, I could design my own too, but they would look like shit.)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

zerobar

« Reply #38 on: 10 Feb 2009, 15:26 »

Yeah, I'd came up with a few things a little while back. Most of them were made from $1 bills. Designing isn't too bad, if you can do it from a crease pattern. There are a few web sites that show how to do it. Eileen Tan has some really good tips on how to create from box pleats and circle packing and Robert J. Lang has a program on his website, that's free for download, that'll create CP's for you, using the most efficient use of paper.

I never could get that to work very well, though. I usually just start folding, get to a point, look at my paper, and find something that I can make out of it. I bought some paper making supplies, and I'm going to try and make another model I did a while back. I'll post pictures if it turns out any good.

zerobar

« Reply #39 on: 10 Feb 2009, 23:29 »

So here's a dragon I designed a while back, but hadn't made a new one in a while, so I bought some paper making supplies and made one. It turned out a little sloppier than I would have liked, but I'll chalk that up to just being rusty.

It's pretty close to the boar's design, just with a river of pleats run through the middle and the center arranged to create the points on the head.

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #40 on: 11 Feb 2009, 06:55 »

That's pretty impressive! How do you even make your own designs?

I made origami earrings the other day, but I can't post a picture unless I find that thing that connects my camera with the computer.

zerobar

« Reply #41 on: 11 Feb 2009, 10:03 »

^mostly just through trial and error. I'll just fold til I get an interesting base, and then look at what I think I can do with it, then see how it comes out. The points on the dragon head come from the way the pleats line up where the intersect. If you look at the model, it really is the same base as the boar. The wings are the tusks, the plates on the neck are the mane on the boar, the nose is the head, and the tail is the ... the tail. It's big difference is that it's just thinned down.

PapaFrita

« Reply #42 on: 26 Feb 2009, 13:27 »

The origami Star Wars is neat. There's a big set of Starcraft ones that are pretty sweet as well.

I've been doing Origami for years but only recently got into designing. Most of what I've been doing has been prett simple (cranes with extra heads, paper airplanes with arms and things that still fly, etc), but I've also been successfully selling earrings with tiny cranes, dragons, and some of the brochades that SonofZ3 mentioned. Generally, I just like making tiny things.

An example:
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2009, 13:16 by PapaFrita »

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #43 on: 09 Mar 2009, 16:06 »

Here is another pair of Origami earrings:

3 of my friends asked me to make them some but I'm laazzzyy.

Victorinia

• Plantmonster
« Reply #44 on: 09 Apr 2009, 15:18 »

Are those lacquered in any way? I would be afraid of getting caught in the rain wearing them!

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #45 on: 12 Apr 2009, 14:37 »

Was that directed at me?

I haven't lacquered them (yet). Mostly because I'm not really sure what to use. I wouldn't want the paper to go wavy. I was going to experiment with a few different things, but then I started another project instead. I want to make more of those in the future though, so I guess I'll have to figure something out in the future.

So for now, they're just earrings to be worn indoors or on a sunny day. :)

Victorinia

• Plantmonster
« Reply #46 on: 12 Apr 2009, 21:28 »

When I tried (and failed) to make quilled paper jewelry years and years ago, the instructions said to use a spray varnish, which a quick Google search confirms. A varnish would also strengthen the cranes, although in my experience, origami paper folded that small is generally pretty sturdy. But still, it would be a shame to accidentally crush one, for they are very pretty.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #47 on: 13 Apr 2009, 06:48 »

Yeah, if you use a spray or lightly brush it on you'll be ok. Considering they are so small though, if you hold them with tweezers and lightly brush on something like Mod Podge you might not crush them. I'm not sure if the force of the spray coming out of a can would blow them away or not.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

kitchenraider

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #48 on: 25 Jun 2009, 18:54 »

I <3 origami. I've been doing it ever since my mom showed me how to fold a crane out of a napkin at a restauraunt when I was 10.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #49 on: 26 Jun 2009, 08:03 »

So it's all her fault!

Seriously though, very cool.  When I see stuff like this, I feel simultaneously impressed and woefully inadequate.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up