THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 22 Apr 2024, 23:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade  (Read 23733 times)

Alegis

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
« on: 15 Oct 2006, 13:36 »

Help! I'm addicted again!

They made my favorite RTS/langame even BETTER. Much better! I'm still like "omgwtf" from spending my week-end doing various kind of things (mostly crusade) instead of Java which I thought I would do.

Anyways any new followers of the Tau Empire or Necron race here? I just love the Tau. Lots of possibilities and nice to play with glass cannons. As well as their omfgcoolness.

For those who don't know, Dawn of War was a game of the year of 2004 methinks, with 2 expansion packs released. Dark Crusade being recently adding 2 races and changing a lot of gameplay stuff (for the greater good).

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Re: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2006, 15:03 »

Oh wow, awesome.  I am actually looking for a new RTS game & I loved the original, so I think I may have to pick this up. (or at the very least pick up just Winter Assault first)

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2006, 16:11 »

I'm probably going to buy Dark Crusade some time in the next couple of months. I'm currently playing through Company of Heroes (also by Relic, also awesome), so when I'm finished with it, I'll look into getting DC.
Coincidentally, due to circumstances entirely out of my control, I currently have three copies of the original Dawn of War in my possession. How awesome is that?

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2006, 17:48 »

I stole DoW & WA, played them for a while and got bored.

Pretty awsome RTS's though.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2006, 09:09 »

What's the apostrophe for?

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2006, 21:40 »

I keep getting ripped up as the Tau, but the Necrons are my style. Slow, plodding death machines whose base becomes a giant floating doom pyramid? Hells yes. Just wish they had more unit variety and vehicles.

Narr

« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2006, 21:55 »

I've been wanting it since I heard it came out.  Unfortunately, the nearest game store is a good 30 miles away from me, so I rarely have a day I can take the trek to go buy it.  Until the local Wal-Mart picks it up, I'm out of luck.

And there's no point in getting the original game if you don't have it.  Last I heard, Dark Crusade doesn't require the original game to play.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2006, 22:23 »

Not for the single-player campaigns, but if you want to play as anyone other than the Necron or Tau online, you'll need "Dawn of War" and "Winter Assault."

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2006, 00:44 »

Having seen a few vids of DoW on youtube I'm super keen to get hold of all three games.
The system requirements say my comp. can play it but I'm dubious... how graphics intensive is it?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2006, 01:48 »

It's pretty scalable; if you can handle WarCraft III with everything turned up you should be fine, I think. You might have to tweak some of the settings, though.

The sound can get a little weird in the expansions. Turning the quality and number of channels down in the game settings helps that a lot.

öde

« Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2006, 03:17 »

What's the apostrophe for?

GRAMMARS.

Alegis

« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2006, 11:19 »

Aye, for MP insert DoW and DoW WA key.

Unfortunately, the nearest game store is a good 30 miles away from me, so I rarely have a day I can take the trek to go buy it.  Until the local Wal-Mart picks it up, I'm out of luck.
Check for internet shops, not sure where you live but usually free shipping like cd-wow.com and play.com. Free shipping and GREAT prices. Always 10-20? cheaper on games and such :| on play.com DoW+WA+crusade for 37?, wtfzor?

Necron lord is imba.

Narr

« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2006, 16:32 »

Both those sites are in Euros.  I live in the US, dude.  I doubt shipping is free.

I don't think there is such a thing as free shipping in the United States.

öde

« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2006, 03:54 »

Narr (isohunt).

But don't tell anyone.

Alegis

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2006, 08:02 »

Both those sites are in Euros.  I live in the US, dude.  I doubt shipping is free.

I don't think there is such a thing as free shipping in the United States.

http://www.playusa.com/

that took less than half a minute of browsing to find on play.com. So it's only DVDs... but it exists!

Narr

« Reply #15 on: 18 Oct 2006, 12:44 »

I ordered it from buy.com, which has pretty cheap shipping, made even less so by the fact that it's got better prices than even Wal-Mart.

Cost me $33 bucks or so.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #16 on: 18 Oct 2006, 19:09 »

I kinda wished the DoW games were more like total war games, make it more like the board game.

They are fun and all, but the lan matches I have played have essentially been a massive resource grab from the start to the end. I mean you had to grab resources in stuff like Starcraft and such but nowhere near the extent you do in DoW.

Narr

« Reply #17 on: 18 Oct 2006, 23:20 »

It is possible to start off with tons of resources, which if played right on both sides, means a rather cataclysmic battle once you do start mobilizing your armies.

There's also mods out that start off with large numbers of units as well as increasing the total number of units you can have out.  I was trying to find a link for one in particular I had my eye on, but now I'm unable to find it.

Alegis

« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2006, 10:45 »

They are fun and all, but the lan matches I have played have essentially been a massive resource grab from the start to the end. I mean you had to grab resources in stuff like Starcraft and such but nowhere near the extent you do in DoW.
What? No! It's fighting from the start! And with the changes in DC with tier 3 units capped (limited), you start cramming out T1 fights right away!
It's not 'farming requisiton', its battling over strategic points. It's not just 2 big armies that clash on one field. So many combat possibilities.

And I fell in love again with IG. The voice acting of Imperial Guard is just goddamn sweet - best ever.

öde

« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2006, 17:41 »

The strategic points part of the game is a pretty awesome way of implementing resources into the game.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #20 on: 20 Oct 2006, 18:08 »

And I fell in love again with IG. The voice acting of Imperial Guard is just goddamn sweet - best ever.
Yeah? I get real sick of "Let ME ... inSPIRE our MEN!" and so on. Like the Orks more.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2006, 20:06 by Sarcasmorator »

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #21 on: 20 Oct 2006, 23:51 »

WAAAAAGH!
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #22 on: 21 Oct 2006, 02:17 »

DoW is the best RTS I've played since Warcraft 3, and in my top five ever. Winter Assault just added the icing on the cake.

I played the demo of DC at my mate's place the other night, can't wait to get it. At first glance I thought the Tau looked mighty overpowering, until I saw them get absolutely wailed on by some well-handled Space Marines. Interested in the Necrons... My only beef is, WHERE ARE THE FREAKING TYRANIDS?

My best mates and I were all 40K fans when we were kids, kinda grew out of it, until DoW reminded us exactly why we liked it. So many late nights spent drinking rum, smoking it up and fighting cataclysmic battles in the distant future of mankind... So many good memories.

Narr

« Reply #23 on: 21 Oct 2006, 10:17 »

I'm still a fan of the space marines.  "I will destroy their minds and burn their bodies," from the Librarian, or maybe  "DIE!  DIE!  DIE!" as screamed by Dreadnaughts are probably my two favorite lines right now.

My friends tell me that Gray Knights are awesome, too.  They are so loud when the charge in, the other team hears it like it was one of their own units.

WAAAAAGH!
I agree.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #24 on: 21 Oct 2006, 11:58 »

Finally figured out how to use the Tau. They are super at range, but you have to specialize in the Kroot to be any good in melee, which cuts out the best Tau battlesuits and vehicle.

The amount of work they've put into tweaking the races and putting in new units is incredible. You could play this game forever. And is it me, or are the Necron by far the most straightforward race to play as?

Alegis

« Reply #25 on: 22 Oct 2006, 07:02 »

Ah just go tback from 2 great games with friends. Already ~28h played of DC. Absolutely love Tau

Kroot are great. Currently start off with carnivore squads (and cannibalism) then move on to more swarms of fire warriors and pathfinders (kiting/microing to get them out of danger while kroot soak up dmg). Lots of running around

Fun starts off when you can play around with ethereal and send off fake knarloc units to tank. Drone Harbringer squad is atm only vehicle I use (not counting krootoxes of course which I spam)

I do have a bit of problem with necron lord. He's ridiculous. As well as spawning in base each time and tough to kill he's quite an annoyance.

Narr

« Reply #26 on: 22 Oct 2006, 16:21 »

I'm interested to see how the Tau would even stand up to the Space Marines.  From what I understand of Tau vehicles, they'd go down from a single Melta bomb.  A dreadnaught or two deep-strike'd right in to the middle of their squads would have to just put the nail on the coffin.

I'm told that chaos raptor rushes also dominate the Tau.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #27 on: 22 Oct 2006, 19:59 »

Me and two Necron's smashed a IG-Ork-Necron trio earlier today. Like, hard. Good for morale; I lost to two rushes before that. Woo.

I'm kind of bad about playing games online very much, but anyone who wants to start up a game with me, my tag on GameSpy is the same as here.

nihilist

« Reply #28 on: 23 Oct 2006, 23:10 »

I don't much care for the new one.  It is hells of boring for me.

Alegis

« Reply #29 on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:35 »

I'm interested to see how the Tau would even stand up to the Space Marines.  From what I understand of Tau vehicles, they'd go down from a single Melta bomb.  A dreadnaught or two deep-strike'd right in to the middle of their squads would have to just put the nail on the coffin.

I'm told that chaos raptor rushes also dominate the Tau.
Way of Kauyon (Patient hunter) is better then. Start off with Carnivore squads and they can handle the assault squads. Assault squads are damn annoying with their jump ability to gangbang ranged units.

Krootoxes are incredibly resilient. Hammerheads and sky rays are rather weak, only vehicle I use is the drone harbringer which I keep out of harm's way while I spam drones (30 power each, awesome ranged dmg, great to send in first)

Narr

« Reply #30 on: 25 Oct 2006, 07:03 »

So I finally picked up the game.

The Tau are quite possibly the MOST ANNOYING RACE TO COMBAT EVER.  The map where you have to take over their capital gave me all sorts of problems whereas the rest of them, I breezed through.  (The IG one was kind of difficult, actually, but once I killed their thing that makes them randomly bomb you, it was GG from there on it.)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #31 on: 04 Nov 2006, 09:06 »

The battle to find 6 of those engineer dudes before the Tau do pisses me off.  It's like: fuck that, just let me smash you like I do everyone else.

Narr

« Reply #32 on: 07 Nov 2006, 06:24 »

For the teleporter location?

I think that map is pretty cake.  I'm usually spreading out to cap as many points as possible anyway, regardless of the map, so I tend to find at least 4 of them before the enemy has 1.  Then I smash their first little outpost (they always have one in the middle of the map, i swear) which will net another dude.

Depending on which race you are, the map where you only have stock units to beat the map can be rather difficult.  I was the Chaos Marines going against the Tau and only won with my heroes and the 4 chaos predators left.  Seriously, if you don't have raptors, you don't beat the Tau as Chaos.

Scytale

« Reply #33 on: 07 Nov 2006, 12:46 »

I did that map as Eldar against Necrons, just smashed up their bases at the start of the game with Dark Repaers (they had three bases) spent forever trying to find the servitors afterwards.

Tau seem pretty weak against Eldar in the game, howling Banshees cut through them.  They were the first race to get wiped off the map.

They need to introduce the other two major 40k races, Tyranids and Dark Eldar (I play Dark Eldar in regular 40k).

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #34 on: 07 Nov 2006, 16:42 »

It would be awesome if they got some Tyranid/Genestealer action going.

Narr

« Reply #35 on: 07 Nov 2006, 19:46 »

I did that map as Eldar against Necrons, just smashed up their bases at the start of the game with Dark Repaers (they had three bases) spent forever trying to find the servitors afterwards.

Tau seem pretty weak against Eldar in the game, howling Banshees cut through them.  They were the first race to get wiped off the map.

They need to introduce the other two major 40k races, Tyranids and Dark Eldar (I play Dark Eldar in regular 40k).
Howling banshees (or really, just anything period) will dominate Tau in melee, until they get Kroot Hounds out and running to tie your melee up.  They can out-range ANYTHING and it's pretty frustrating.

nihilist

« Reply #36 on: 07 Nov 2006, 21:10 »

I dunno.  Was just more of the same but with new races.  I dunno.  I was hoping for more.  I guess I need a good RPG, not an RTS.

Alegis

« Reply #37 on: 12 Nov 2006, 07:02 »

When playing Lan (hamachi) I go for kroot first. Kroots are nice, and my kroot build is incredibly effective vs eldar (tear guardians apart).

Played servitor mission tau vs IG with ease. It was 3/3, went via their infantry posts and collected his 3.

WTH is up with that orc building campaign (destroy all buildings, you only get an army - no buildings), jesus tough to do as Tau.
Havent played over a month orso, but getting back into it soon!

Narr

« Reply #38 on: 13 Nov 2006, 00:46 »

Yeah, man, that mission is a pain depending on the race that you are.  It's easy peasy with the space marines and Orks (SERIOUSLY easy for the orks seeing as their squad caps are so ridiculously high) but it's kind of difficult for the races that rely on ranged units and/or meatshields.  I had a hard time doing it with Chaos because you basically have meatshields to protect your chaos predators from the green ork tide.  I ran out of energy resource reinforcing my possessed marine squads, and all the cultists died.  After they all died, the defiler or two you have went down, or maybe you don't have any at all anyway.  And then after that, all my heroes started dying because they were seriously focus fired.  It was a sad time, but I did barely beat it.

rehseboy

« Reply #39 on: 15 Nov 2006, 09:46 »

I'm a little upset they brought out the Tau before the Tyranids. Genestealers were in the original Rogue Trader game, dammit!

I intend to buy the game once they bring in my beloved bugs, and not before.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #40 on: 15 Nov 2006, 15:03 »

Still playing this.  Still pretty cool.

edit: oh, and I smashed that starport level.  The reason I found it hard was because I was trying to play it like a normal level.  Build a base, then go searching.  I just sent all my honour guard units out to grab shit. 

also: i used the elite assault marine as a goddamn scouting machine until I got the landspeeder.  Now I find him early and basically just smash him into oblivion except for the HQ so that I can build up a level 5 base to aid in defense.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2006, 15:07 by est »

Alegis

« Reply #41 on: 15 Nov 2006, 16:22 »

I'm a little upset they brought out the Tau before the Tyranids. Genestealers were in the original Rogue Trader game, dammit!

I intend to buy the game once they bring in my beloved bugs, and not before.
At the credits of ending the SP campaign it showed a world and said "2007".
DoW stuff!

On the official fora I read that with the current engine they couldn't do tyranids justice (I take it they pod everything or something?) and was out of the question for original DoW. However with company of heroes a new engine was made etc. They'll do 'em eventually ;)

And Tau rocks. FOR THE GREATER GOOD.

Narr

« Reply #42 on: 15 Nov 2006, 21:05 »

After you get a sizable honor guard, regular stages are simply easy, even when they attack with, like, a size 14 army where you have to take out two bases.  As the Space Marines, I got the terminator unit rather early and he alone could take out enemy bases, I swear.  As Chaos, I got myself the Possessed Marine and Khorne Berserker champions and they just ate things for breakfast.  Ork honor guard wasn't that impressive, I admit, but then again, they were actual squads so if you lost any units, you could reinforce them, increasing their longevity at the very least.

I want to do Imperial Guard next because I absolutely blow ass with them as a race.  Their honor guard is terrible, though.  It's literally just a regular squad of guys.  :(  At least they can get a Vindicare Assassin in their HG; that should help greatly.

Scytale

« Reply #43 on: 16 Nov 2006, 11:12 »

And Tau rocks. FOR THE GREATER GOOD.

Arrgggh one of my good mates is a Tau fanboy, I have to put up with this all the time, if I had to vote for a most annoying race in 40k it would definately be Tau, at least you can always count on being able to rip them apart in close combat.

If Tyrannids come out they need to bring out Dark Eldar (the real Eldar  :-P) too. I can just imagine how cool stuff like the Talos and Scourges will be in the game

IRBABOON

« Reply #44 on: 17 Nov 2006, 12:08 »

damn you all and being able to play the expansions, have only played the original, but heard that the ending for WA is basicly the same for all the races, this true??

and does anyone play the actual proper game? the one with the figures and stuff

Scytale

« Reply #45 on: 17 Nov 2006, 14:36 »

Yeah I play regular 40k, I have an Eldar, Dark Eldar and a Imperial Gaurd army, Dark Eldar are my preferred race. Pretty nerdy (and expensive :( ) hobby.

IRBABOON

« Reply #46 on: 18 Nov 2006, 00:45 »

aaahhh, REALLY expensive hobbly.... urg you and your evilness of liking the ppl that are basicly just dominatrixes!!! lol...

i just do SM at the moment, but have had a full army of basicly every race except daemon hunters, SOB, witch hunters

Scytale

« Reply #47 on: 18 Nov 2006, 09:55 »

Haha that sounds like my friend he plays Tau and he is always puzzlaed about how a unit wearing nothing but electrical tape (My Wyches) can chew through so much of he's army

Scrambled Egg Machine

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Of course you realize this means war.
« Reply #48 on: 18 Nov 2006, 21:04 »

Tau: for the greater good!
Not so sure about these things anymore.

IRBABOON

« Reply #49 on: 23 Nov 2006, 08:35 »

urg, tau!! never did quite like 'em... nice to paint but annoying to play.. not to keen on defensivness
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up