THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 23:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "HOLY FUCK THERES ANOTHER HEAD-CRAB" or Playing Old Games Through Again  (Read 21078 times)

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic

So, I just started playing Half-Life 1 again, having found the CD in some random box in my closet. And I just wanted to say that I really hate those little bastard Head-Crabs and how they leap out at YOUR FUCKING FACE all the time. Jesus. Play your horror genre games all you want, Half-Life is some of the scariest shit in a game ever. Those things that hang from the ceiling? The first time I ran into those bastards I swore out loud.

Also, I have a tendency to replay games over and over again, even those that have no real replay value (see: all Final Fantasy games). Do you have a similar tendency? Are there any games that you just love to keep replaying, regardless of whether or not they are any more fun the second time around?

Thats all I got.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

lb969

I'm playing through NWNII ATM... Does that count?

Seriously, I'm still hooked on MechWarrior 4 Mercinaries. I can't stop replaying that game.

And FEAR is about the creepiest game our there. Quake4 is also kinda scary.

ackblom12

DOOM, Fallout 1&2 (cause you can never get enough of planting armed time bombs on those little bastard children in the Den) Half-Life and shit loads of console games all share my time. This is just as much because I love those games as it is I can't afford new games particuarly often.

But still, time bombs + children = fun for the family.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi

The single-player Starcraft and Warcraft 3 campaigns (and both expansions).

The stories are really well done and the gameplay is simple and elegant.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

ScrambledGregs

The only thing I think when playing old games again is "jesus, I was an idiot savant at NES games when I was a kid." I am fucking terrible at NES games nowadays.

Also, seconding the "Half-Life is one of the scariest games ever" comment in the first post. I remember being in a constant state of fear and anxiety playing that game. There are so many brilliant moments in it, from the first time you run into certain enemies to some of the 'feats' you're supposed to do. I remember some part where you have to jump on top of or into an elevator. Something like that. But it was tense and exciting to do.

I would say that Half-Life is probably my favorite PC FPS even though I only played it through once. It was a complete package in every way, a perfect mix of action, scariness, puzzles, and an intriguing plot. Watching the Man In Black periodically pop up was unnerving in the way that so many games try to be and fail.

fleetfoot

I'm actually doing a game deconstruction of the original Half-Life for my games tech course. I haven't played it in aaaaages, so it's really great to whack it back on the pc. Head-Crabs are amongst the most brilliantly designed enemies in any video game EVAR.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission, one day I decided to beat both of them in one day, collecting as many of the various items as I could on the way

KID

I'm always playing through old games, since I rarely get to spend money on new ones. I got a PSP for christmas, and no Memory Stick, so I snagged a Sega Genesis collection. Replaying my childhood is always fun, but I wish it had included a few choice titles, such as Sonic Spinball and Aladdin. And I'm always playing one Final Fantasy game or another.

Narr

Icewind Dale II for me, although to be honest, I didn't actually beat it the first time around.  The game was horribly buggy, ridden with slowdown issues, back when it first came out.  Then I went into a typical yearly state of mass depression and probably made it about as far in as I am this time around.

I do so miss the Infinity Engine.

Scytale

I replay Badurs Gate II a lot

Alpha Centauri I play a lot as well...

Entilzah

I've been playing the original FF a lot lately and FFT.

Those seem to be the two games that I am always going back and playing

Coming Home

Head Crabs remind me of turkies...

I hunger for bird flesh. Too bad it ain't Thanksgiving...mmm...turkey...

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout

Watching the Man In Black periodically pop up was unnerving in the way that so many games try to be and fail.

The G-Man!  He was kind of creepy.  Scared the hell out of me the first time i saw him.  Half Life is an intense game.  I play the sequel through every now and then.  I get sick of it now, but i've played both Halos through a few times each.  But yeah.

Narr

Half-Life 2 is still one of the most fun gameplay experiences I've ever had.

I should go replay single player on the hardest difficulty and try and use nothing but the crowbar and magnum.

Peter Harris

When I first played Half-Life 1, I had nice speakers, a big monitor, and I played with all the light down.

And I had to get up and go get a glass of milk and play with my cat every twenty minutes, because that game scared the bejeezus out of me.

Doom III is pretty scary, too.

I played Diablo II and Halo 1 through again the other weekend.  Good games are like movies - you know what's going to happen, but you want to do it again.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I have played the monkey island games through many many times.

It has occured to me several times that playing a point and click adventure game twice is completely pointless.

Other than that I might install a game, play it for a while, then give up.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master

Soon you'll be wearing my sword like a shish-kabob!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

I recently replayed both campaigns of Warcraft 2. I gotta say that only a very small handful of RTS games have ever been as good as that game is. Warcraft 3 didn't even come close.
I also jump back into Diablo 2 once every few months or so when I want to kill uncountable hours in what seems like minutes. That game is far too addictive for its own good.
Finally, No One Lives Forever remains my all time favorite FPS to this day, and I got it the day it came out 7 years ago. I still play that on a regular basis too b/c so many of the levels are so darn well designed.
While I'm sure plenty of older games were great at the time but now don't seem so wonderful, those three will always be great.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi

Dude you just said that Warcraft 2's single-player campaign is better than 3's.  Are you insane?  What didn't you like about 3?  Especially the expansion.  Man, the expansion is fun.

Maybe I'll play WC2 again tonight just to see if you're not smoking crack, but I don't remember it being THAT much more fun than WC1.

ackblom12

I have to agree, WC2 beat out WC3 in the fun department. WC3 had the advantage of actually have armies that were different, but WC2 was a hell of a lot more fun.

I'm constantly going back through Arcanum. I always end up playing it for a long while, uninstaling it, and then reinstalling it a couple weeks later because I get the itch again.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi

Man, you guys are weird.  OK, WC3's Orc campaign was a little boring, but the Human, Night Elf and especially Undead campaigns were twenty kinds of kickass.  And Frozen Throne's were even better, with the major emphasis on variety rather than "Build base, go smash other base, repeat" which is the only real flaw in the StarCraft campaigns.  The Alliance (or, I should say, Blood Elf) campaign was so rockin'.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Soon you'll be wearing my sword like a shish-kabob!

You know, these games are timeless. I think I'll dig out my copy of CoMI and play it again - Mega Monkey ftw.

I'm currently playing through Planescape: Torment for the first time. It's incredible.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi

Planescape was pretty good and all, but I really wanted a lot more variety of locations.  Pretty much the entire game takes place in a town.  Why bother using such a wacky and unique setting and then just having it be... a big town.  It was like Baldur's Gate: Halloween Edition.  I was all expecting to go to The Plane Of Talking Geometric Shapes and shit, not run around hanging out with Steve Buscemi's head.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn

You know, these games are timeless. I think I'll dig out my copy of CoMI and play it again - Mega Monkey ftw.

Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge is the best one in my opinion. Although Curse was pretty fun.

nikefido

The single-player Starcraft and Warcraft 3 campaigns (and both expansions).

The stories are really well done and the gameplay is simple and elegant.

FTW

I just quit WoW also, maybe i'll play them again. I even still have them installed. Yes...excellent..

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

I'm constantly going back through Arcanum.

Arcanum.

Arcanum.

Yay!
Arcanum=One of the best games of all time. No joke.

I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

dps

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

I guess that the oldest game I still play is the original Master of Orion.  Once I finally started using Windows XP last year, I was able to get it to run again.  I've installed Master of Magic and Daggerfall as well, but I haven't actually been able to get them to run yet.

ackblom12

I'm constantly going back through Arcanum.

Arcanum.

Arcanum.

Yay!
Arcanum=One of the best games of all time. No joke.

I couldn't agree more. If I'm lucky, Silverfall will capture a bit of the Arcanum steampunk feel. I ended up preordering it after I played the demo, so I'm looking forward to it.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

Carmageddon.

Hitting shit and watching it explode NEVER gets old.

Thnikkaman

• Emoticontraindication
  • Owner of the Terrible Pun Racket

Total Annihilation. 10ish years old and it remains the best strategy game I've seen*, and the only one that I still play.

*My computer absolutely, definitely, does not have a hope of running Supreme Commander
Quote from: Eris (gabbly)
maybe I shouldn't have hit it

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Carmageddon.

Hitting shit and watching it explode NEVER gets old.

FUCKING YES!

Carmageddon was great!!!

I installed dungeon keeper 1 the other day. The dungeon keeper games are great.

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

Grand Theft Auto 2. 

Yeah, I said it.  Screw GTA3, screw Vice City!  They got it right the second time out and after that they screwed the pooch. 

1) Overhead view:  gotta love overhead view.

2) Sense of humor:  GTA was not nearly as much fun when it got all serious. 

3) Atmosphere:  trying to re-capture the "Miami Vice" vibe was a mistake - just let it be its own thing.

4) Randomness:  the new ones are just a little too plot-drven - even the side quests (taxi, ambulance, etc.) are too structured.  GTA2 = do whatcha feel whenever ya feel it.

5) Blowing s*** up.  Yes, I know, you can blow s*** up iin the other games too - but it's more fun in GTA 2!  You can find these huge intersections that you can fill up with stolen cars and blowing up one car sets off the entire chain reaction!!  Awesome... and something you just can't do with the "modern" GTA games.

so... yeah!  Love it baby!
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2007, 06:38 by no one special »
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

The Cosmic Fool

Played Super Mario World again for the first time in about 4 years. That game is hella easy now.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Icewind Dale II for me, although to be honest, I didn't actually beat it the first time around.

Grinding my way through the first few chapters of Icewind Dale II was a vile experience the first time around. I can't imagine inflicting it upon myself a second time - in fact, I've deleted it from my computer because it was just taking up space.

It's been a few years now, but I can't remember how many times I've played Dune II. I've played various Command & Conquers since then, and Dune 2000, but none of them quite has the same simple charm. About the only games I play through regularly these days are the games in the Half-Life series. Back in the day I also played through System Shock (the first one) several times, but it's been many a year since I've had a computer that had that game on it, and it seems like it's pretty much impossible to get anywhere - and I've heard that even if you could get your hands on a copy, making it work on modern machines is nigh impossible.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2007, 06:06 by Inlander »

ackblom12

I've had System Shock II working on my machine as recently as a couple of months ago with XP. Worked perfectly fine for me. Here's a couple of links for it.

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=3924

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=1114

Yes, they are both available for download as well on that site

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Thanks, but I was referring to the first System Shock game.

Neadric

i'm currently playing through Half Life 2 on hard for the *counts* 24th time, 20th on hard more, and i will be playing through Episode 1 for the 15th time 14th on hard after i'm finished with HL2. yea its the only game that i will ever be able to do that with.

Sefirah

Sadly, i've played Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale II, and Heart of Winter at LEAST 20 times each and have STILL not reached the end of any.... ::twitch, twitch:: my retarded FrankenPuter INSISTS on breaking down and deleting all my data whenever I reach the last chapter. I tried Godmoding to reach the end before the computer died on me again,... but it didn't work... (cries) HOW DOES IT END??????

the_tard

Ill be attempting to replay STALKER on master difficulty after I beat it.

SomeOtherGuy

• Plantmonster
  • Internet Prey

ive recently gotten into starcraft brood wars online in a bad way.  i forgot how addicting that game is.
You Know I Am Your Hero

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I have a copy.

Regrettably, your contacts are right. Getting it to work on Windows is a challenge.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt

I'm thinking about installing Operation Flashpoint again.

And Worms.

Oh! And the first Metal Gear Solid for PC.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist

System Shock 1 works very well on XP with the DosBox emulator. I played through the entire thing recently.

As far as old games being replayed, I love Alien versus Predator 2. Headcrabs are pansies compared to those 1-hit-kill facehuggers, and getting to BE one? that's fun times, even if it is frustrating at first. So much win in that game, it's crazy; even if it is short as all get out.

Johnny Evilguy

Oregon Trails on a vintage pre-xp machine :-D ( currently frankensteining a computer)

It didn't take me long to "die of dysentry"

ackblom12

I just started playing through Half-Life 2 again, partially cause i just got my widescreen monitor. Dear lord not only is this game amazing, but I want to know why i didn't go widescreen YEARS ago.

It makes me sad my TV isn't widescreen.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist

Oregon Trails on a vintage pre-xp machine :-D ( currently frankensteining a computer)

It didn't take me long to "die of dysentry"
The webcomic Achewood has ruined my memories of Oregon Trail for me. Now I hear about that game, I think of homoerotic cuddling with the blacksmith.
Pages: [1]   Go Up