THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 22:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me with startup password!  (Read 4628 times)

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
Help me with startup password!
« on: 19 Mar 2007, 09:47 »

Well, my sister got in trouble for being on the computer at 3 am last night, so my dad put a startup password on the computer.  However, I am still allowed to get on the comp whenever I want.  One problem, though: I don't know the startup password.  We run Windows XP, and I showed my dad how to put a password on her account (I know, it's amazing he knew how to make a startup password but not an account password), and he let me on, but he said he'd take care of the startup password "later," which means "a lot later when I'm in a good mood."  Well, I'd very much like to either know the password or get rid of it.  Can anyone help me with this?  I've found ways to get rid of it for Windows 95 through ME, but no XP help. 
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Scytale

Re: Help me with startup password!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2007, 01:13 »

I've never had any experience with this but apparently if you boot up with a linux live cd, you can edit the windows registry from within linux, I don't think it works if you've got windows installed on an NTFS system, I know at work one of the xp boxes got corrupted or something and the it guys fixed it by hacking the registry that way.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2007, 02:59 »

windows installed on an NTFS system

All versions of windows since NT use an NTFS filesystem.

Scytale

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2007, 03:25 »

I have mine set up on a Fat32 partition, theres an option when you install it.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2007, 07:30 »

Well, guys, I was on the computer in question when I typed that first post.  I was asking if anyone knew how to get rid of the password once already logged on.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2007, 10:56 »

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but please read the first post if you haven't already.  I know how to deal with account passwords.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2007, 17:03 »

...A startup password?  Do you mean a password set in the BIOS?  As far as I know (and I may be wrong on this), all Windows XP passwords can be changed in the Control Panel (if you have admin privileges), but you don't seem to be talking about account passwords.  If the password is set in the BIOS, then the only thing you might be able to do would be to clear the CMOS, but that's probably not a great idea unless you know what you're doing and you can easily recreate your current BIOS settings.

lb969

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2007, 20:28 »

Start and Run
"Control Userpasswords2"
Uncheck the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."
Click Apply and Ok.

IIRC thats one solution. May not be the right one for you.

Another way is:

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Settings/Minimum Password Length/Reduce it to 0 (No password required).

Control Panel/User Account/Your Account/Remove Password.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2007, 09:59 »

If it's a password set in BIOS, you can erase it just by opening your computer up and removing, then reinserting, the battery connected to the motherboard.

Leave it to me to post a hardware solution to a software problem..
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

BatouKyo

« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2007, 18:34 »

If it's a password set in BIOS, you can erase it just by opening your computer up and removing, then reinserting, the battery connected to the motherboard.

Yah I cant really tell what you mean startup password.... if its a password you have to type in before you even start loading windows then the above will work(2 things: make sure its unplugged and wait 20 seconds before reinsertting the battery*or hit the power button when there is no wall power*)

You have to be more specific otherwise none of us can really tell when you are even being asked for said password.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2007, 15:41 »

Actually I already tried that.  And yeah, guys, I found out it's the BIOS password.  My dad's probably gonna get rid of it if I keep bugging him.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2007, 19:58 »

Depending on the make and model of your motherboard, you might have to push a little CMOS reset button on the motherboard in addition to removing the battery.

And capacitors can take a long time to discharge. Leave the battery out for longer.

Just google the make and model of your board and look for CMOS reset instructions.

The Cosmic Fool

« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2007, 14:10 »

Usually leaving it out for 5 minutes does the trick. Setting a BIOS password is the stupidest thing you could ever do on a home computer.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #13 on: 04 Apr 2007, 02:15 »

More than likely it'll be a case of changing a jumper setting rather than popping out the battery - I think that I've heard some can take 24 hours to discharge... And yes, BIOS passwords are a pain in the hole.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur
Pages: [1]   Go Up