THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 14:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scott Kurtz letter  (Read 5073 times)

mammoth

Scott Kurtz letter
« on: 10 Jan 2007, 10:51 »

I am interested to hear about what people think about the open letter to bill amend scott kurtz recently wrote on his blog (http://www.pvponline.com/blog/3074/my-open-letter-to-bill-amend-and-his-equals) !  it makes about a million great points, is elouquent as all hell, and says a lot of thing that should have been said.  i know i am interested in some sort of webcomic/paper comic co-op. 

8ilbo

Re: Scott Kurtz letter
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2007, 14:48 »

Bill Amend recently quit his daily Foxtrot commitment to work on new things. How about working on something like this, Bill? Michael Jantze took his syndicated strip ?The Norm? out of papers and offered it online via subscriptions. Why not expand that business? Bill Holbrook draws an online comic strip alongside his newspaper strips. Why not help us create something new for papers, Bill?

The word subscriptions worries me...

I'm not quite sure what he's saying in this - get the webcomics in the papers? Get one supercomic together?

ekmesnz

• Emoticontraindication
  • Sprung out fully formed, knock-kneed and upright.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2007, 01:31 »

Scott Kurtz frustrates me because his rants about the state of comics typically do not address what HE could be doing to change things. Also, he is a fat artist that draws a pathetically bad webcomic.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2007, 11:29 »

Scott Kurtz frustrates me because his rants about the state of comics typically do not address what HE could be doing to change things. Also, he is a fat artist that draws a pathetically bad webcomic.

well-said. i've never really understood the appeal of pvp.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

TBW

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2007, 22:31 »

It has rather nice looking designs and if you look back in the archives there are some really fun story arcs like when Jade and Brent broke up. The characters are also pretty fun and while it's not always funny, Scott generally has a basic understanding of plot and joke structure (More than Jeph to tell the truth). I really wish he would just try to do more with his characters and get better animators for the cartoon.

halley

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2007, 05:38 »

I've nothing against Scott, but i don't agree with him on... well... a lot, and mostly on the topic of comics.

I really don't understand why he's so wrapped up in the idea of newspaper comics, I read them when I was a kid and even then I made fun of them. the comics page in newspapers is a graveyard of comics past, only instead of letting them rest in peace, the corpses have been dragged out of their grave and are being made to move through strings.
Though it's terrible, it's not going to change either, and it's not even all the newspaper?s  fault. Any time a paper drops an old "classic" comic a bunch of readers writing in and complain and cancel their subscriptions, I don't know why they'd do that, or why they hate comics so much, but it's true, that's what happens.

But that's not a big deal, we have a great webcomic world set up, and a great comic book industry at our disposal. Now if someone WANTS to get their webcomic into the syndicates then great, more power to ya! Hell, if I was offered a deal I might take it.'

But webcomics NEED newspaper like I need Windows Vista... and btw, I don't.

Also, Scott wrote an article a couple years ago predicting that the webcomic industry was going to crash, and it didn't, so I'm not exactly holding on to every word Mr. Kurtz says.

But that's just me.

ekmesnz

• Emoticontraindication
  • Sprung out fully formed, knock-kneed and upright.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2007, 09:15 »

It has rather nice looking designs and if you look back in the archives there are some really fun story arcs like when Jade and Brent broke up. The characters are also pretty fun and while it's not always funny, Scott generally has a basic understanding of plot and joke structure (More than Jeph to tell the truth). I really wish he would just try to do more with his characters and get better animators for the cartoon.

I wish he would learn to draw.

TBW

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2007, 17:39 »

I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. PvP can be boring visually, but the designs for the characters are wonderful and he's proven in the past that his drawing abilities are beyond what we see in the comic. The guy knows how to draw, honestly a tad better than Jeph when he's really trying.

Mnementh

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2007, 08:41 »

Kurtz isn't a great artist and his writing is terribly unoriginal, I consider him at best lazy and a hack.  I often find his ideas and rants to be poorly thought out.

That said, my understanding is that his weight problem is a medical condition, probably a thyroid issue.  I don't think that really has anything to do with his abilities (or lack thereof) as an artist.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2007, 08:43 by Daniel »
Pages: [1]   Go Up