THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 14:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: music nerdiness  (Read 8102 times)

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
music nerdiness
« on: 02 Nov 2006, 14:17 »

what's the nerdiest thing you can think of in correlation with music

i just started considering creating a dnd adventure set in the bal saggoth multiverse

i think that may even top people who listen to 8-bit soundtracks
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Scytale

Re: music nerdiness
« Reply #1 on: 02 Nov 2006, 14:27 »

I went through my sisters Tolkien collection reading all the backstory of Middle Earth so I could understand all the lyrics from Summoning's Dol Guldur...

AlexAttack

« Reply #2 on: 02 Nov 2006, 16:52 »

i did a complete harmonic analysis of a chopin nocturne. it made my head hurt so bad.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #3 on: 02 Nov 2006, 17:59 »

what's the nerdiest thing you can think of in correlation with music

i just started considering creating a dnd adventure set in the bal saggoth multiverse

i think that may even top people who listen to 8-bit soundtracks

I have notes for an Unknown Armies (modern post-modern horror, kinda) adventure based on The Hold Steady's 'Seperation Sunday'. Its right there with the film treatment i'm working on based on the same album
I PLAYED an indie nerd in an Unknown Armies game... ended up killing Ben Lee

nothing beats Owen Pallet, who as 'Final Fantasy' recorded an album based on the 8 (or 9?) schools of magic in D&D. an indie album, not metal

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #4 on: 02 Nov 2006, 18:30 »

I think it would have to be my Everything2 writeups on Illinois, The Mouse and the Mask, The Fiery Furnaces, Blueberry Boat, and... hell, a shitload of other music-related things. I've probably written about 20,000 words about music for that site.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #5 on: 02 Nov 2006, 22:15 »

Last night my dad mentioned a song by the band Badfinger. I proceeded to reel off this: 'Badfinger, who were previously signed to Apple and unhappy with their treatment on the label, and so Paul wrote them a single and it sold well, and they were named after Badfinger Boogie, which was the working title of With A Little Help From My Friends because John Lennon had a broken finger at the time.' Or something.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Der Turm, der Leute frass

• Furry furrier
  • kwargbrzzz...brhhgfschrrg???
« Reply #6 on: 02 Nov 2006, 22:20 »

I went through my sisters Tolkien collection reading all the backstory of Middle Earth so I could understand all the lyrics from Summoning's Dol Guldur...

:lol: :-D :-D

i think it's just impossible to understand summoning lyrics, they're too orcish  for human ears  :-)
I'm SWISS, so don't expect any "creative" english phrases.......

-i'm responsible for de existence of the universe....even if i forgot why

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #7 on: 02 Nov 2006, 22:38 »

I lose in comparison to you guys, but my cousin's fiancee(now husband) is named Geddy, so when I first met him I said "Oh, like Geddy Lee of the Canadian supergroup Rush?!" I didn't even realize how stupid that sounded until he gave me a weird look.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #8 on: 03 Nov 2006, 01:29 »

What about the voice of Geddy Lee? How did it get so high? I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy.

takemeaway

« Reply #9 on: 03 Nov 2006, 01:48 »

« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2006, 01:50 by takemeaway »

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #10 on: 03 Nov 2006, 02:42 »

What about the voice of Geddy Lee? How did it get so high? I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy.

Hurrr Pavement.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #11 on: 03 Nov 2006, 03:51 »

http://nerdyshirts.com/product_info.php?gender=1&products_id=469

WIN

p.s. first post. howdy do?

it was okay...but a WIN in comparisson to what'd just been said

no

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #12 on: 03 Nov 2006, 04:01 »

Will nobody be my fact checking cuz?  :cry:

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #13 on: 03 Nov 2006, 04:53 »

i dunno it seems normal on the earlier albums...and then something happened

maybe some castrarted him cause they couldn't stand him being so experimental

timehat

« Reply #14 on: 03 Nov 2006, 13:37 »

i did a complete harmonic analysis of a chopin nocturne. it made my head hurt so bad.
This sounds like standard music major fare.

timehat

« Reply #15 on: 03 Nov 2006, 13:41 »

this reminded me of this unusually superb piece of heckling as remembered by steve albini.

Quote from: steve
The Butchershop Quartet had just finished their performance of Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring." Dylan and the others performed in heroic style. There was a murmur of confusion amid enthusiastic applause.

"Firebird!"
That indeed is nerdy. In all seriousness, though, Stravinski is totally awesome.

AlexAttack

« Reply #16 on: 03 Nov 2006, 20:39 »

This sounds like standard music major fare.

pretty much man. unfortunately my major is more jazz orientated so this type of thing leaves me fucked.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #17 on: 04 Nov 2006, 01:42 »

Could you educate the masses (me) and explain exactly what a harmonic analysis is and/or does?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #18 on: 04 Nov 2006, 09:01 »

the Canadian supergroup Rush

I have never heard of them referred to as a "supergroup." Oddly enough I've never heard of them being referred to as a power trio either. I'm going to start a new trend, i.e. the popularity of Canadian power trio Rush among de-pop kids.

NOMENCLATURE FTW
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #19 on: 04 Nov 2006, 09:09 »

My housemate insists on calling Rush a supergroup, because, by his justification: "They took my favorite drummer, my favorite bassist, and my favorite guitarist of all time and put them all in the one band, and they rocked my fucking eyeballs"

To be fair, I can't exactly fault that reasoning. They are all his favorite musicians.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #20 on: 04 Nov 2006, 11:13 »

I tell ya, if I had to do that now I'd be quite fucked, but in the glory days of 3 year theory senior year we did stuff like this, for some orchestrated piece.  Those fucking violas with their alto clef making shit difficult.

I think the most annoying/nerdy thing I've ever experienced is in one of my music classes the teacher got "angry" with us, so he played a I-V7 chord, then didn't resolve it.  People actually gave a shit.  And it was fucking annoying, and overtly nerdy.

Could you educate the masses (me) and explain exactly what a harmonic analysis is and/or does?

Basically, if I remember correctly, you take a piece of music bar by bar and figure out each detail of it's chord structure.  You use a bunch of fun notation devices like figured bass, and it "does" absolutly nothing.  Seriously.  Nothing.

« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2006, 11:15 by ALoveSupreme »

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #21 on: 04 Nov 2006, 12:54 »

I think the most annoying/nerdy thing I've ever experienced is in one of my music classes the teacher got "angry" with us, so he played a I-V7 chord, then didn't resolve it.  People actually gave a shit.  And it was fucking annoying, and overtly nerdy.

I could actually see that being really annoying

AlexAttack

« Reply #22 on: 04 Nov 2006, 17:13 »

Basically, if I remember correctly, you take a piece of music bar by bar and figure out each detail of it's chord structure.? You use a bunch of fun notation devices like figured bass, and it "does" absolutly nothing.? Seriously.? Nothing.

thats the one dude. i had to write what each chord of every bar was using roman numerals(to denote what degree of the scale the chord was on),
i had to identify these horrible things called secondary dominants ( which is a chord based on the dominant(5th) degree of any chord in your key signature),
 look for enharmonic modulations (which is where the music changes key on you without going through the proper channels of regular modulation-it just takes the diminished 7th of the key then re-writes it so it fits into another key and then goes to that key, regular modulation has like a billion rules and is a real headache to look for)
and i had to identify all the non-harmonic tones. there a bunch of categories of non-harmonic tones to choose from. they are notes that are not in the key you are in but it sounds pretty if you chuck a couple in every now and again.

from what i gather, the point of all of this is to see how fucking clever the composer was and how he put all this thought into the composition. also so we can prove that we've learnt something. sometimes i wonder whether the composer had no clue what they were doing and just wrote a bunch of sounds that they thought worked well together rather than thinking about what chord voicing resolves best from a half diminished 7th in 3rd inversion.

so yeah. welcome to my incredibly fucked up uni course haha

« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2006, 17:16 by AlexAttack »

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #23 on: 16 Nov 2006, 10:13 »

Wondering why Spawn of Possession lists Dmitri Shostakovich as their foremost influence.? Noctambulant was VERY Baroque.? Shostakovich wrote a few operas and a bunch of semi-modern classical that didn't approach that level of technicality.? And I'm still looking for the composer that they sound most like.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #24 on: 16 Nov 2006, 13:28 »

Getting angry when Jeph compared The Fiery Furnaces to Meatloaf, then looking for Meatloaf tendancies at the Fiery Furnaces show... i settled on The Great Goddess Eleanor's sash and serious expression

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #25 on: 16 Nov 2006, 14:10 »

well some of their lyrics make as much sense as "hot patootie bless my soul"

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #26 on: 16 Nov 2006, 14:42 »

There's a bit difference between a theatrical songwriter writing theatrical songs (Jim Steinmen) and a guy who has taken pages out of nautical journals and financial papers 'cause he likes being weird (Matt Friedberger, who i actually interviewed)
i will admit that "My Dog Was Lost (But Now Its Found)" (off Blueberry Boat) is as silly as "Objects In The Rearview Mirror (May Be Closer Than They Appear)" (off Bat Out Of Hell 2)

man i listen to too much Meat Loaf
how tasty would a Blueberry Bat Out of Hell be?
Pages: [1]   Go Up