THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 02:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: iconic moments in gaming  (Read 33803 times)

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
iconic moments in gaming
« on: 19 Oct 2006, 17:45 »

This can be any moment - be it an FMV, a scripted sequence, or just some moment of gameplay that really stood out and has remained with you ever since. you're not even limited to one!

my first one comes from Half-Life 2, Episode 1. In the chapter "Lowlife", almost immediately after you first encounter a "Zombine", there's a section full of combat with these new foes in a pitch-black subterranean car park. the backdrop to this fight is a music file called  "VLVX Song11" (found by unwrapping some of the GCF files in the game folder). The track starts off with a kind of descending mechanical/electrical scream noise.

The reason this is so iconic for me is that the first time I played through that section, a Zombine charged me with grenade drawn RIGHT at the point that scream kicked in. the timing couldn't possibly have ben more perfect. The next second, I blew it away with a shotgun blast, charged into the room and spent the next two minutes kicking zombie ass, only able to see by the light of Freeman's torch. that whole section was exceedingly cool - dark, scary, claustrophobic and intense.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
Re: iconic moments in gaming
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2006, 18:03 »

USE SPAGHETTI ON MUMMY
USE FORK ON SPAGHETTI
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2006, 19:05 »

Not all I got, but I'll lead in with a few from FF:

Final Fantasy VI: At the end of the Floating Continent. Kefka kills the emperor, moves the three statues out of balance and forces you to flee for your lives. The party is scattered, and the world ruined ? he has won. The rest of the game is just picking up the pieces and trying to make things as right as you can.

FFVII: The entire intro sequence was a revelation. Looks dated now, but zooming out from Aeris' face into an overhead view of Midgar for the title splash, then into another section of the city to introduce Cloud and co., was inspired.

FFX: The whole ending.

Napoleon the Clown

• Emoticontraindication
  • Worriesome
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2006, 19:14 »

Soul Reaver: The Legacy of Kain.  The scene where Raziel encounters Kain for the first time since being chucked into the Abyss.  The conversation is well written and brilliantly acted.

Anytime I initiate a Zergling rush in Starcraft of course.  That's always humorous.

Knights of the Old Republic had a great moment when: the PC was revealed to have been Revan. (Tiny font for spoiler, in the off chance someone doesn't know.
Scaring the shit outta Hannelore since...  God knows when. (T-shirt reference FTW)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2006, 19:48 »

fuck you ruined it for me, no not really, though I pretty much guessed that after a few levels.

hm....I guess HK-47's definition of love after you talk to him for a while
"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

I use that any time any one asks me what love is.

Archangel_Lucifer

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2006, 22:59 »

Halo. Meeting the flood.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2006, 01:37 »

The intro movies for Fallout 1 and 2. I think they're just so damn awesomely done and set the mood really well.

The first time you waste a good 6 hours straight playing Morrowind.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2006, 01:49 »

The world's all-time greatest supervillain:

"You DARE to attack me here? Do you even realise what you face? You will SUFFER! YOU WILL ALL SUFFER!" (*annihilates an army of wizards*)
-Jon Irenicus, Baldur's Gate 2.

My most impressive online kill ever -

Battlefield 2. I sniped the pilot of a jet just before he bombed my team as they captured a flag point. His jet came crashing down and exploded right on top of an enemy APC a split-second after all the guys inside it got out, killing them all. (alas, I only got the kill on the jet pilot, but it was still funny).

I think the single highest accolade any online gamer can receive from another is "WTF?". I got seven for that one.

GileX

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2006, 07:47 »

Hmm, actually just today, i was playing pocket fighter 2 turbo against my co-worker and all the blocks that i had, just fell into place and i make 99 blocks fall onto his screen. If anyone plays that game they will know that 99 blocks it instant death. Sooooo good

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2006, 09:08 »

Man, I really should not read these threads while I'm working. They always make me want to leave work and go play videogames for the rest of the day...

One scene that sticks out in my mind is the Airship cutscene in Final Fantasy II for the SNES. I was probably 10 years old when the game was released, and the first game I was ever addicted to. I still hum that song every so often.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Archangel_Lucifer

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2006, 15:02 »

"You DARE to attack me here? Do you even realise what you face? You will SUFFER! YOU WILL ALL SUFFER!" (*annihilates an army of wizards*)
-Jon Irenicus, Baldur's Gate 2.

Oh yes. That part is simply briliant.

My best WTF was playing Co-operative halo on ledgendary when I sniped 3 elites and my partner with one bullet. accidentally
I was aiming at a jackal. As to other moments on halo multiplayer there are just too many to count. The amount of stupid thing you can do with that game is just ridiculous. Another good one is "warthog catch." Your partner wacks you a few times and you spill a shitload of plasma grenades under a warthog. then send your partner far far away. You then have to toss another granade in so that it detonates the rest of the grenades and sends the warthog flying. You can often send it several hundred meters with this trick to come crashing down on unsuspecting suckers.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2006, 15:07 by Archangel_Lucifer »

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2006, 15:21 »

USE SPAGHETTI ON MUMMY
USE FORK ON SPAGHETTI

I love you for forever now. There is no way around it.

It was probably Day of the Tentacle for me too, but probably the whole thing altogether.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2006, 17:56 »

Simon the Sorceror, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle all defined my childhood.

FFVII

Slap fight.

On the end of the barrel of a gigantic cannon.

rasufelle

« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2006, 20:29 »

In Grandia 2, when Millenia then (can't remember his name at the moment, big Beastking guy) sacrificed themselves to save everyone else.  Crappy cinematics, but the entire time I was thinking that I was bawling my eyes out.  The ending of that game's pretty good too, but I probably just think so because it's the first (and so far only) RPG I've ever actually kept my attention on long enough to beat

Really, the spot in just about every Final Fantasy game where one of the main characters dies or sacrifices themselves to save the others.  That always gets to me... *sniff*

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2006, 22:44 »

Final Fantasy IX- The entire ending, including the final fight against Necron.

Final Fantasy VIII -The ending. Until the ending of the game, I was impressed with quite a few things about the game, but not very impressed with the story. The ending definitely made up for it.

Shadow Of The Colossus- I can't recall which colossus it was.. anyway, the first one that is very FUCKING ENORMOUS with the equally enormous sword.. that fight amazed me.

Chrono Trigger- The basic ending, the one achieved when the game is played completely and Lavos is challenged after Crono is revived.
Hate, rain on me

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2006, 22:52 »

The cutscene in starcraft with the team blowing up the infested science vessel. Hell, quite a few parts of starcraft.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2006, 22:53 »

Yeah, actually, Starcraft had a pretty incredible plot for a RTS.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2006, 23:33 »

Did you guys know you can launch a spaceship in Tetris?

Seriously.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

elcapitan

« Reply #18 on: 21 Oct 2006, 02:23 »

So many scenes in Half-Life come to mind... Tripping the resonance cascade. The scene where you first encounter the Marines, and especially the first fight with the Black Ops assassins.

The original Unreal stands out as a defining moment for gaming. Sure, Quake 2 came out earlier and was pretty, but Unreal just blew me away. The scene in the Vortex Rikers where you're standing behind a door, listening to a crewman scream and fire randomly at something while the muzzle flashes are visible through the crack beneath the door... Incredible.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2006, 17:47 »

More Final Fantasy ones for your consideration:

FFVII - The cutscene where Sephiroth kills Aeris. Also the one where he's walking through the flames. He's basically a pretty fucking iconic character, I have to say, and I don't even like this game all that much.

FFVI - Consider the final scene on the Floating Continent seconded.

FFIV - There are a few here. Cecil becoming a Paladin. The Big Whale rising out of the ocean. All the secondary characters combining their prayers to give you strength for the final fight against Zemus. These all seem ridiculously trite and/or overwrought now, but the fact that I could call them all to mind easily demonstrates their staying power.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2006, 20:25 »

In Grandia 2, when Millenia then (can't remember his name at the moment, big Beastking guy) sacrificed themselves to save everyone else.? Crappy cinematics, but the entire time I was thinking that I was bawling my eyes out.? The ending of that game's pretty good too, but I probably just think so because it's the first (and so far only) RPG I've ever actually kept my attention on long enough to beat

Really, the spot in just about every Final Fantasy game where one of the main characters dies or sacrifices themselves to save the others.? That always gets to me... *sniff*

that would be mareg.
lets see who i can remember from that game
ryudo, skye, millenia, elena, roan, tio, mareg, melfice, pope zera, aira (blind girl), hrmm

BEAST KING SMASH
TENSEIKEN SLASH
THE SOMETHING FAMILY SECRET.   TRUE DRAGON RISE
AH AH AH, LOOK BUT DONT TOUCH
LOTUS FLOWER, BLOOM
thats about it

Neuvost

« Reply #21 on: 22 Oct 2006, 21:14 »

Good topic. Note: I've got Final Fantasy VII spoilers in this first section, but unless you've been living under a rock (even if you haven't played the game) you probably already know the spoiler.

Final Fantasy VII has one of the biggest twists in all of video game history at the end of it's first disk. A main character dies. Never before have we seen a person we generally cared about die so suddenly that could not be revived with a magic spell or by reverting to save. But this was simply a movie inside the game. The part that so many gamers forget about is the gameplay leading up to this climax, that I consiter to be one of the game's most brilliant moments.

When Cloud first approaches Aris, her back is turned. You are unable to turn Cloud in any direction other than directly towards her. Annoyed at what seems at first to be faulty game design, you try pressing as many buttons as you can to make the game respond. He approaches her. You can't move. Press the X button. This has Cloud draw his sword. Press it again. He raises it over his head. You just barley realize what he's doing, but you have no other choice. You can't do anything else, and before you know it, Cloud has sliced at Aris violently.

"What have I done?" was my first reaction. Games have always mirrored life in our control of them. If I want to walk away from my computer, then I do so. If I want to go into somebody's house in an RPG, then I walk in. But life doesn't always work that way. Addiction. Mental illness. Felling like there is no other choice. Cloud battled mental illness in Final Fantasy VII and his lack of control in his own actions was passed on to you: the player.

There is something inherently beautiful about a great multiplayer game. My first real experience with that is Mario Kart 64. There's not much better than being so close to the finish line when someone pulls a head of you on a boost and you line up that perfect green shell shot and just barely beat them out for the win. And when you lose you hate it but you love it and you want to play again to show 'em you can beat 'em.

Much of my high school social life was based entirely on Halo. Every weekend we hauled our Xboxes and our controllers over to somebody's house and played all night. And every once in a great while you'd hear that Killtacular as all your friends cry out and you take the lead. I lived in Blood Gulch for a while, and I still feel at home there.

I'm sure I'll think of a quite a few more examples of this and post them soon.

Narr

« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2006, 10:33 »

Most the things that stick out in my mind are random moments from actually playing the game, although I agree that the whole Irenicus thing was great.  Seriously, Baldur's Gate 2 is quite possibly the best RPG ever made.

This is for Street Fighter fans.  Have you ever 360 Piledriver'd Akuma out of Raging Demon?  It's the biggest exhilirating rush ever.

Most my disgusting "did that just happen?" type moments happened back in the hay-day in Call of Duty.  I recall running in Pavlov and firing my pistol at a building randomly.  I didn't even know there was anyone inside.  I got a headshot on some guy, and immediately got accused of hacking.  I typed in "Honest to god, I wish I could replicate that because I have no idea what the fuck just happened." Another time, it was just me and my brother skirmishing against each other (we used each other as practice, which worked out because we were both pretty damn good) and I jumped out of a window, firing blindly at him.  Somehow got a headshot.  It was brilliant.

Still, the ultimate "Do I have cheats installed? I didn't think I did" moment happened for me in Railyard.  I popped out from behind a train and aimed at some guy crouched in a corner.  Fired, and got TWO headshots because one of the other krauts on their team had popped his head out to look in the corridor.  Two birds with one stone, completely unscripted.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2006, 11:31 »

Oh man, the lucky shots remind me of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. I was a merc on the hospital map, and was searching one of the rooms. I had "heard" the spy sneaking around with the HUD arrows, but he was gone when I got there. On a hunch I popped a grenade into one of the ventilation shafts. And I got 'im.

Also this one time in WarCraft III I had a zeppelin full of most of my Undead army, with the rest at my base. I was flying my zep over to attack the other guy's base, and noticed his army on the way to mine. So I dropped my troops a ways behind him, then doubled back to grind his forces between my ziggurats and home army and my main force. It worked real well.

And another time I Windwalked my Orc Blade Master into the middle of a massing army and turned on his ultimate. It was like a Cuisinart!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2006, 12:28 »

a couple of nights ago, I hit a UT2004 deathmatch server for kicks.

Spent a few minutes struggling on in my usual idiom - about halfway up the server ranking ladder, with a respectable number of frags, but not enough to put me up top.

Then I hit my limit break or something. randomly, after getting fragged one time, I spawned, grabbed a lightning rifle, and proceeded to score a quadruple "HOLY SHIT!!!" with a seemingly unstoppable series of headshots.

Then I got taken down from behind by a flak cannon blast, and when I respawned, whatever magic was driving me had apparently ended, because my performance returned to it's usual level. I finished third on the server for that round. It was freaky, but gratifying.

elcapitan

« Reply #25 on: 23 Oct 2006, 16:10 »

... OMGHAX

Grawsith

« Reply #26 on: 23 Oct 2006, 16:17 »

Half Life 2, stepping out of the train station and seeing the citadel...

Advent Rising, every cutscene...

Resident Evil 4, EVERY GODDAMN SECOND (major droolage hurr...)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #27 on: 23 Oct 2006, 21:24 »

You people have failed me:

The end of Super Metroid! So incredible! Mother Brain charges up a beam that sends you down to one life and leaves you crippled on the ground, then starts charging again when the Metroid, protecting the only mother its ever known, swoops in and starts chewing on MB's head and sacrificing itself to revive Samus, giving her the ULTIMATE BEAM OF AWESOME POWER.

I love that game so much. You think you're completely and utterly fucked, then you turn into a GOD.

And, on the Metroid train, I also have to submit the second battle with Dark Samus in Metroid Prime 2 as one of the best toe-to-toe, one on one battles between equal opponents in the history of gaming and all of the times you see SA-X in Metroid Fusion and nearly crap your pants.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

nihilist

« Reply #28 on: 23 Oct 2006, 23:08 »

Killing the entire opposing team in SoF2 with one well-thrown nade at the beginning of the round, caught them all rushing the same way.  I may have shat myself laughing.

Or, pulling off those many 7-on-1s or 10-on-1s on the old Quakeshit server.  Ah, those were the days.

Alegis

« Reply #29 on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:41 »

oblivion, while doing the dark brotherhood quests. SPOILERIn the end with the traitor in brotherhood, teaming up with lachance to fix it and discover he's been murdered.

World of warcraft, our first ragnaros kill. Was quite soon for a guild back then. Great times marching around in IF as well.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #30 on: 25 Oct 2006, 04:42 »

all of the times you see SA-X in Metroid Fusion and nearly crap your pants.

Oh my god YES. That shit was scary as HELL. I felt really lame for being scared by a GBA game, but man did they absolutely nail the atmosphere with that game.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #31 on: 25 Oct 2006, 05:44 »

Oh man, I agree with everything anyone said about any Metroid game in this thread. The ending of Super Metroid is classic, and SA-X instantly doubled my heart rate every. damn. time. it showed up.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #32 on: 25 Oct 2006, 06:21 »

I think it worked so well because of the turnabout. Samus is always way stronger than most enemies, and even the bosses just take a pattern. But SA-X was AFTER YOU, and she was going to KILL YOU if she found you. I can't think of a more effective game where you simply have to hide and wait till the bad thing goes away so you can survive.

ackblom12

« Reply #33 on: 25 Oct 2006, 07:16 »

Final Fantasy VI: At the end of the Floating Continent. Kefka kills the emperor, moves the three statues out of balance and forces you to flee for your lives. The party is scattered, and the world ruined ? he has won. The rest of the game is just picking up the pieces and trying to make things as right as you can.

Thirded. I couldn't agree more.

Lufia II - The entire ending was probably the most emotional experience a video game has ever given me. It was fucking amazing.

I know there are more, but these are the 2 that come to mind at the moment.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #34 on: 26 Oct 2006, 00:41 »

I'm seconding everything said about Aeris' death. You spent the next half of the game wondering if she could be revived. Wow.

Lots of Square-Enix game spoilers. Because I am their bitch.

FFVII - Tifa/Cloud in Mideel

FFVIII - This is kind of cheesy, but Squall carrying Rinoa to Esthar on his freaking back. C'mon.

FFIX - The rest of the party trying to bring Zidane to his senses in Pandemonium

FFX - Such a well put together game, in my opinion. For a decidedly iconic moment, I'm going to go with the final scene with Jecht.

Kingdom Hearts - Sora making a Heartless of himself. Nuff said.

Kingdom Hearts II - The entire opening of the game with Roxas. I know I might be alone on this one, but so much happens during this part I was practically foaming at the mouth by the time I got to play as Sora.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
« Reply #35 on: 26 Oct 2006, 04:10 »

She looked me over and I guess she thought I was all right...
All right in a sort of a limited way for an off night.

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #36 on: 26 Oct 2006, 08:41 »

Lufia II - The entire ending was probably the most emotional experience a video game has ever given me. It was fucking amazing.

Also it just had a nice "badass" atmosphere to it. The crazy escher-esque towers, the flying island, etc... That's probably the game I've beaten the most times.

rasufelle

« Reply #37 on: 26 Oct 2006, 08:47 »

To me, an iconic moment in gaming is that moment when you're playing Jet Set Radio (or any game, really), and you pull that, like, really cool wallride to jump to grind to tricky-thingy to wallride again and just get that rush, you know?  Like, your entire body gets all tingly and you're just, like, totally absorbed in the moment.  Like pulling a really, really good drift in NFSU, or reaching the 2 million point mark for one trick combination in THPS2 without cheats.  Or in Resident Evil (the original), the first time you ever played it, and you never knew exactly what was waiting around the corner, but you knew from the sounds that you weren't gonna like it.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #38 on: 26 Oct 2006, 09:25 »

Oh, man, I am like, totally there, you know?

I think every time the music started up in Half-Life 2 was a good moment. While music was used pretty sparingly throughout the game, the times that the techno started thumping, you knew you were going to be pulled through an action-fest.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Archangel_Lucifer

« Reply #39 on: 26 Oct 2006, 12:01 »

One I vaguely remember from Wingcommander II. There was one mission where you had to fly combat support for the concordia while it engaged 3 Kilrathi Heavy cruisers. I remember desperately fighting off wave after wave of fighters while the humongous capital ships exchange fire through the combat zone.

Or at the end of WC III where you are just like OMG the war's finally over... and we won!

MatticusPrime

« Reply #40 on: 28 Oct 2006, 07:10 »

I'll only give a few. Some of these have been mentioned.

FFIV: When Cecil becomes a Paladin. The rising of that spaceship from the ocean floor. And yeah, the sequence during the last battle where all your old companions send their prayers to strengthen the party.

FFVI: Floating continent, Kefka.

Chrono Trigger: The death of Crono. Totally didn't see it coming. Everyone was down and he was the only one who got back up and I thought that surely, surely there was some miracle waiting to happen. Someone else jumps in to save the day or something, I mean the main character can't just die, that's not how these games work!

Ultima VII: There was a part where you talk to this sage, Alagner, because he supposedly has the dirt on a questionable cult-like organization called The Fellowship and its relationship to the Guardian, a rather malevolent otherwordly being who will sometimes talk to you. After completing a quest for Alagner he lends you his notebook on the condition that you return it when you have finished using it. So you do the quest with the notebook and, being the Avatar and all, you go back to Alagner's home to return the notebook. When you get there you find that Alagner has been brutally murdered. There is blood all over the floor. At this point the Guardian thanks you for the very useful information in the notebook and just laughs and laughs. The Fellowship strikes again!

System Shock 2: When you find Dr. Polito...

Thnikkaman

• Emoticontraindication
  • Owner of the Terrible Pun Racket
« Reply #41 on: 28 Oct 2006, 08:06 »

But SA-X was AFTER YOU, and she was going to KILL YOU if she found you. I can't think of a more effective game where you simply have to hide and wait till the bad thing goes away so you can survive.

That reminds me of an old game I used to have called Iron Helix (way back when CDs were new). Basically you send a probe into a spacecraft to try and self-destruct it before time runs out and it destroys a planet. It had the scariest atmosphere I've ever seen in a game. For one thing, the graphics were fairly realistic (as you moved through pre-rendered screens), but more importantly: the spacecraft's crew had been slaughtered by a security droid on board; and this droid HUNTED YOU DOWN throughout the entire game. You had no weapons so you had to stay on the run throughout most of the game, and you had to take care not to get trapped in a dead-end.

Iconic moment in this game: One part of the game near the end involves luring the droid into the airlock to eject it out into space (which bought you about 5 minutes before another droid was activated). The airlock is situated at the end of a long dead-end corridor, and you need to pass through the airlock to get to the room with the controls (that's the only way in or out of the control room). One time I got to the control room, plugged into the console controlloing the airlock doors, then waited for the droid to show up. Eventually it does. Alarms begin to sound as the probe detects the droid closing in. I wait for the droid to enter the airlock (the alarms start going crazy, it's in the next room!), wait a little longer until it moves into the centre of the airlock, then quickly punch in the "open airlock door" code. Except I type the code in wrong and the connection to the console gets shut down and I panic and the droid moves towards the door and I reconnect the probe and begin to type in the code and the door the control room opens and SHIT THERE IT IS *static*.

Scariest moment in any game ever, period. And I've finished System Shock 2 and Aliens vs Predator 2.
Quote from: Eris (gabbly)
maybe I shouldn't have hit it

Grawsith

« Reply #42 on: 28 Oct 2006, 08:15 »

Oh god, SS2. You find Polito, and she's dead, sitting there, and every hope in the world dies with her.

Also, the ghost sequences were pretty cool.

Merkava

« Reply #43 on: 28 Oct 2006, 23:58 »

Kingdom Hearts II - The entire opening of the game with Roxas. I know I might be alone on this one, but so much happens during this part I was practically foaming at the mouth by the time I got to play as Sora.

I thought that whole beginning was brilliant. Although I just wanted to start the game, the way everything gradually built and spiralled out of control was an example of great, meticulous storytelling. It was also quite dark and adult for the series, which never went as far as it did in that beginning. Sure, some things could have been sped up and doing those fetch quests was quite dull, but when I look back on the whole picture, I have to marvel.

I gotta second/third/thirteenth the Chrono and FF references. I also have to mention the section in Chrono Cross where you go through the Dead Sea/Sea of Eden. Beautiful imagry, beautiful and barren landscape, and some devastating plot twists. It was truly awe-inspiring.

Sarcasmorator

« Reply #44 on: 29 Oct 2006, 00:45 »

MC Chris has a little something to say about that: http://www.destructoid.com/mc-pee-pants-mc-chris-a-tribute

A few more moments:

In Command & Conquer after you win as NOD, you take over the GDI satellite and get to blow up the White House, the Eiffel Tower, the Vatican or ... uh, there was one more. Anyway, it was ID4's big money shot years before the movie was ever conceived. Awesome.

WarCraft III: When corrupted Arthas returns to take his father's throne.

In Resident Evil 4, the first time I got my head chainsawed off. I was not prepared. I just kind of turned off the game at that point and edged away.

The big explosion at the end of F.E.A.R.

And I second Shadow of the Colossus.

Narr

« Reply #45 on: 29 Oct 2006, 01:58 »

WarCraft III: When corrupted Arthas returns to take his father's throne.
I agree.  Probably the coolest cutscene, for whatever reason, I can think of in any video game.

I also agree with Shadow of the Colossus.  The entire game just has "epic" written on it.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 29 Oct 2006, 03:13 »

I agree.  Probably the coolest cutscene, for whatever reason, I can think of in any video game.

Incorrect. That cutscene would be the end of Brood War, when Admiral DuGalle kills himself.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Thnikkaman

• Emoticontraindication
  • Owner of the Terrible Pun Racket
« Reply #47 on: 29 Oct 2006, 04:12 »

Nonono, that cutscene would be the start of Brood War, when DuGalle's battlecruiser abandons the overrun colony.

EDIT: this cutscene can be viewed here
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2006, 04:15 by Thnikkaman! »
Quote from: Eris (gabbly)
maybe I shouldn't have hit it

darkdreamr

« Reply #48 on: 31 Oct 2006, 22:06 »

Some of the most memorable moments I have come from multiplayer Myth: TFL.  If you played it you'll know what I mean...

That perfect lift in 3 dorf arena that just makes the other person start screaming at you for cheating
Winning a soulless fight when you started off outnumbered
Anything and everything having to do with stray satchel charges :evil:

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #49 on: 31 Oct 2006, 22:59 »

How about Half Life 1 near the beginning when you first go into the portal and you're in the completely dark space and all you can hear is your breathing and heart beat and all of a sudden you're surrounded by weird creatures that you were not expecting at all. That part freaked me out to hell.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up