THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 07:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A word for the remaining relatives of the late Cliff Burton  (Read 10066 times)

Iwan

I haven't posted in ages on this board. Sorry about that.
Anyways...

In september it was 20 years ago that Cliff Burton, the late Metallica bassist who pretty much put Metallica where they are right now,  passed away
A friend of mine has set up a tribute site about him.
A really nice thing is that he has set up a guest book. The purpose of it is that the visitor leaves a message there for Cliff's family. In september 2007, all the messages will be printed and handed over to Cliff's family, as a gesture of respect.

The whole site is in dutch, so many of you probably won't understand most of it. However, here is the link directly to the guestbook (page itself is in english and dutch and all the messages are in English). 
http://www.cliffburton.be/gastenboek/index.php

If you understand dutch, then here is a link to the site;
http://www.cliffburton.be

Please, understand the guestbook it is not a discussion thread. The people who put together the site won't be pleased with things like "Metallica sucks and Cliff was gay LOL!" or "Steve Harris rules, Cliff was a sperm bucket".
So if you want to leave a message;
keep it respectfull,
keep it nice,
keep it clean (the occasional f-word is allowed).

Thank you in advance

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com

RIP Cliff, the greatest that ever lived.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Felix_

RIP Cliff, the greatest that ever lived.

O_O

Scytale

he was the only good thing about metallica in more ways than one.

There would of been no Megadeth without Metallica.  Their first two albums and parts of MOP aren't bad at all...

That said Cliff was a hell of a basist RIP.

Felix_

Cliff Burton was a helluva bassist, and his contribute to music and especially heavy metal is without question, but the greatest bassist ever? Hmm..erm...yeah.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt

Quote from: Sunn O)))
I Dream of Lars Ulrich Being Thrown Through the Bus Window Instead of My Mystikal Master Kliff Burton
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation

Cliff Burton, the late Metallica bassist who pretty much put Metallica where they are right now

See, if I wanted to be mean, I could make a really derisive comment right there.

But Cliff was the only legitimate musician of the bunch, so I will refrain out of respect. It was a tragic accident and a tragic loss.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Felix_

Cliff Burton, the late Metallica bassist who pretty much put Metallica where they are right now

See, if I wanted to be mean, I could make a really derisive comment right there.

But Cliff was the only legitimate musician of the bunch, so I will refrain out of respect. It was a tragic accident and a tragic loss.

Legitimate musician? What factors bring you to the conclusion that Burton was the only "legitimate" musician in Metallica?

Felix_

he had the good decency to die.

thus contributing to the world of music.

:-D So the only "legitimate" musicians who truly contribute to the world of music are those who die early?

bff

• Larger than most fish

There would of been no Megadeth without Metallica.  Their first two albums and parts of MOP aren't bad at all...

I am going to have to ask for some clarification on this one, unless being kicked out of a band and then having them record an entire album of material you wrote somehow makes them responsible for your next band.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Metallica should have been forced to change their name to "Alternica" or "Grungica" after ...and Justice for All, the last great album they made (featuring mostly songs written by Cliff).  Don't even get me started on Garage Inc.

Narr

I agree that ...And Justice For All was the last good album they had.  Ironically, it's after the reason I like the band died, but their raw anger at his passing fueled their best album.

RIP, Cliff.

Felix_

that's an interesting theory you've hit on, sir.
you have to admit a lot of greats departed this mortal coil early rather than submitting to gradual stagnation. hendrix or coltrane for example.

i didn't hate burton, i thought he was doing some interesting stuff in an otherwise pedestrian band. 'pulling teeth' is probably the only thing i'd ever listen to by choice. the fact is that his death saved him from becoming as embarrassing as his band-mates have. for that he truly did contribute to the music world at large.

Just for clarification purposes I completely disagree that deceased musicians, especially those who checked out early contribute more or have contributed more than other musicians that are alive and well and still recording music. :P hehe

I agree that death probably saved him from becoming as "embarrassing" as his former band-mates have become, but who's to say what Metallica would've eventually turned into had Burton never died in that auto accident anyways? Not only that, but I wouldn't discount the efforts of James and Kirk who were good players once upon a time. Burton did contribute to music, namely heavy metal, if not in his style then in his legacy, but I still could never believe that he was the 'greatest ever' at bass or anything ridiculous like that.  :-P

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content

Am I the only person on the planet who thinks early Metallica is incredibly bland and crappy?

I hear all of their pre-Black-Album records discussed in such reverent tones, yet every time I've listened to them I've found myself horribly bored after the first five minutes of repetitive look-how-many-different-ways-we-can-resolve-on-E guitar riffing.

Also Lars is a fucking terrible metal drummer.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation

I agree with essentially everything you said, actually. I mean, their first four albums are listenable at least, but there are about a dozen other thrash bands that are far better if you can get past the occasional terrible sound quality from the albums where the band blew the production budget on heroin.

But at the same time, it's a pretty jarring difference. It's like listening to In Flames' last three albums after listening to say, Lunar Strain.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2006, 09:57 by Storm Rider »
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Felix_

artists can become so terrible that it tarnishes whatever previous heights they rose to.
a handful of us on this forum have a running joke where we pretend dylan, bowie and the stones all died in the 70s because they have become so woeful that the general consensus is that it would be better if they had died. think of someone like rod stewart. at one point he was spoken of in terms of reverence, indeed his first four solo albums were considered masterpieces by many. but what's the first image that comes to mind when you think of rod stewart? those fucking leopard skin trousers and the anaemic thumping of 'do you think i'm sexy'.

I agree that artists can become "terrible so that it tarnishes whatever previous heights they rose to". And many would argue that "Do You Think I'm Sexy" was the smartest career move he ever made, although I find it less than desirable. I've never been a fan, nor a fan of Bowie or the Stones, although I do enjoy Dylan.....even some of his most recent material. I only wish that he'd don leopard skin trousers for his next live tour. ;)

Felix_

Am I the only person on the planet who thinks early Metallica is incredibly bland and crappy?

I hear all of their pre-Black-Album records discussed in such reverent tones, yet every time I've listened to them I've found myself horribly bored after the first five minutes of repetitive look-how-many-different-ways-we-can-resolve-on-E guitar riffing.

Also Lars is a fucking terrible metal drummer.

I don't think that the first three Metallica albums are peak moments in thrash/speed metal history, but "Kill 'Em All", "Ride the Lightning", and "Master Of Puppets" have their moments I suppose. Then again, I might just be bias due to nostalgic reasons, but I will admit that they are far from being the best that 80's thrash/speed had to offer and are vastly overrated and even, at times - bland.

Lars is one of the worst metal drummers I've ever heard though, hands down. He should've stuck with tennis.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

artists can become so terrible that it tarnishes whatever previous heights they rose to.

I don't know how much I agree with this statement. However, I do know that shortly after the final single was released from Born In The U.S.A., Bruce Springsteen was driving past the site of the bus accident that killed Bowie, The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan, only to pop a tire and, ironically, careen off of a cliff to his death. It's a fact.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Felix_

I don't know how much I agree with this statement. However, I do know that shortly after the final single was released from Born In The U.S.A., Bruce Springsteen was driving past the site of the bus accident that killed Bowie, The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan, only to pop a tire and, ironically, careen off of a cliff to his death. It's a fact.

Thankfully Max Weinberg wasn't with him during the cliff accident. :D

Scytale

I am going to have to ask for some clarification on this one, unless being kicked out of a band and then having them record an entire album of material you wrote somehow makes them responsible for your next band.

The whole reason Mustaine formed Megadeth was because he was pissed at getting booted from Metallica. So in a way Metallica were responsible for the formation of a better band. Megadeth put out a a shitload of awesome albums during the 80's, right up to "Countdown to Extinction".

Then Dave kicked he's herroin habits and started envy Metallicas commercial success. Still I'd take "Youthanasia" and "Cryptic Writings" over "Load" and "Reload". Risk, I pretend that didn't happen.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt

I cant believe I spent so much time in my early teens liking Metalica. Cliff was the only decent band member in a band full of retards.

Also, Megadeth are probably the worst metal band ever. I fucking hate Dave Mustaine.

I'm sorry, it had to be said.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2006, 18:16 by Misereatur »
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

TrueNeutral

Come on man.

Dave Mustaine even hates Dave Mustaine.

That being said, I love me some Master of Puppets.

Disposable Heroes is an awesome song.

Scytale

I cant believe I spent so much time in my early teens liking Metalica. Cliff was the only decent band member in a band full of retards.

Also, Megadeth are probably the worst metal band ever. I fucking hate Dave Mustaine.

Yeah Mustaine is a tool no denying that but I like Megadeth's music. I'd hardly call them the worst band ever.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

In september it was 20 years ago that Cliff Burton, the late Metallica bassist who pretty much put Metallica where they are right now,
Based on what?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TrueNeutral

Based on "I don't want to believe that so many people are complete morons and like Metallica for any other reason because he was the only good thing there".

At least, I assume that's what it's based on. You know, hope and stuff. Faith in humanity. Useless crap like that.

Felix_

Wow, what a retarded statement for a metal fan(?) to make. Worst metal band ever? lolll

The first four Megadeth albums are some of the finest the genre has to offer, and "Rust In Peace" is easily among the top 10 heavy metal records ever recorded. Anything after that record though is fairly disposable.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Based on "I don't want to believe that so many people are complete morons and like Metallica for any other reason because he was the only good thing there".

At least, I assume that's what it's based on. You know, hope and stuff. Faith in humanity. Useless crap like that.

It is pretty stupid. I can just picture someone walking into a record store in 1984. 'Wow, Metallica, they're pretty bad...but those basslines, man. I'll take it.'

Manta Ray

so, why does everyone love cliff burton? Is this just in comparison to Jason Newstead? Did he actually do anything incrediably spectacular or do we* just love him because we're supposed to, seeing as he's dead?

*yes, i used to be a metallica fan too, and loving cliff burton was just taken for granted for metallica fans...

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Honestly, I've always preferred Newstead, for his vocal harmonies just as much as for his bass playing.

Manta Ray

but why is he so revered?

I'm asking for curiosity only.

TrueNeutral

"Because for a metal bassist (at that time) his playing was unusually varied and technically good."

That's what wikipedia says anyway.

I just think his basslines are ace. I don't need much more than that.

Plus, (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2006, 00:21 by TrueNeutral »

Johnny C

• Mentat

2) every pathetic drop of 'metallica: behind the monster'.

Surely you mean "Some Kind Of Monster," the best scene in which is when the hilariously incompetent group therapist tells everyone to relax and Lars Ulrich waits three seconds before spitting obscenities into James Hetfield's face. Kirk Hammet slaps his forehead, which creates a loud, cartoonish SMACK!

Oh, and the scene where Ulrich sells an awful painting for huge bucks is depressing.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!

I appreciate Cliff and all, but I always thought "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth" was pretty wanky. Cliff supposedly brought some conception of music theory to Metallica--ideas of harmony, counterpoint, etc. Stuff that made Metallica's music interesting. I won't say that Metallica-with-Cliff was OMG TEH BEST BAND EVAR, but their Cliff stuff is much, much better than their post-Cliff stuff.

I'll give Metallica high props for introducing me to H. P. Lovecraft, who became my favorite author. Notably, the Lovecraft references stopped after Cliff died. Hmm....

The only band that's come close to that was Current 93 making me aware of the writings of Thomas Ligotti.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2006, 06:59 by rynne »
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

TrueNeutral

Notably, the Lovecraft references stopped after Cliff died. Hmm....

Yeah, what did they make songs about after that? Of Wolf And Man is about what...? Werewolves? Geeze. I could have written that song, and I'm awful.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/

To be fair, the lyrics and concept of 'Of Wolf and Man' are waaaay better than, say, 'Bark at the Moon'.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat

To be fair, the lyrics and concept of 'Of Wolf and Man' are waaaay better than, say, 'Bark at the Moon'.

Neither one of those is "Werewolves Of London" by Warren Zevon or John Spencer's "She Said."
Pages: [1]   Go Up