THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 03:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Foolish Question From A Foolish Man  (Read 2833 times)

FoolOnTheHill

• Plantmonster
  • Oh shit, she really WOULD kill me.
    • Occult Anonymous
Foolish Question From A Foolish Man
« on: 25 Oct 2006, 06:34 »

Well, I've kinda been making my own comic, but I can't figure out how to publish it. Should I look for sponsers or go to something like ComicGenesis or what? I really don't know where to go to submit...

Any ideas?
"At least I still have the warantee, right?"
"HAHAHAHA! Oh man, you are so fucked."

falconire

• Plantmonster
    • Supernaturals Presents
Re: Foolish Question From A Foolish Man
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2006, 11:52 »

There are a couple of things you can do depending on if it's a webcomic or an actual print comic.

If it's print you can either submit to a publisher or self publish/market it. Submitting sounds the easiest but understand that marvel and DC to not except submissions unless you're already somebody famous. Image and dark horse do as well as a few other smaller but well known publishers but they usually want to see 5 finished pages of art, a synopsis and a solid creative team, if not a finished book. Also keep in mind that they get a lot of submissions a year and (from experiance) it's best to pay your artist or it will never get done and I'd say at least 15-20 dollars a page plus more for inking.

If you try self publishing expect 2000 bucks to print 1000 copies if it's black and white or somewhere between 3000 and 4000 if the book is colored. Most people with a steady job can get a comic self published but you'll have to do the marketing, which means getting into shops, if they like it, or comic magazines.

If it's just a webcomic then build a good website, get yourself some links and don't expect to make any money unless you get a lot of repeat hits or if people like the stuff you make to sell, which if you're talking shirts and hats will usually cost between 10-20 per item to make and ship.

It sounds like a lot whichever way but all are doable. Good luck.

FoolOnTheHill

• Plantmonster
    • Occult Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2006, 01:17 »

Thanks, I'm going with the webcomic thing, just gotta find a place to start now  :-D

Thanks again

TheLanyard

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2006, 01:30 »

Do you know anything about creating a website?  You can find a pretty good host for like $6/month that gives tons of space and bandwidth so you don't really need a sponser...unless you have a hard time coming up with $6/month I guess...

FoolOnTheHill

• Plantmonster
    • Occult Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2006, 02:03 »

Ya know, when it comes to buying a site like that and all, I think the biggest issue with people is the payment method. Unless you can use PayPal or somthing like that, not many people are really sure about shilling out a credit card number online...

TheLanyard

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2006, 03:25 »

I suppose.  I've never had any problems with it thus far, but I try to stick with sites I've heard of and what not.

Redmage913

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2006, 07:03 »

I've used TopCities so far for the webcomic I manage for a friend of mine, and they recently got rid of their bandwidth cap (they also said don't abuse it).  The comic is not big yet, so that isn't an issue, but one hopeful day I'll have the site shut down b/c of bandwidth issues and I have to actually figure out someplace to host for me.  Good luck with your webcomic; there's a lot out there and it's hard to get started out.

logosmonkey

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2006, 02:05 »

Ok, when I started I looked around at stuff like comicgenesis, smackjeeves, drunkduck etc. and I felt like it insulates a comic a little much... I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with communities like that but it just felt like to me after browsing them for a few days that the majority of readers you'll get on a site hosted there are going to be other members. This isn't bad at all I suppose but for me I just felt like I would rather stick it out on my own.
I went the buy hosting route. I paid up a year through simplehost.com and initially used joomla! cms as my frontend but eventually swapped to wordpress with the comicpress theme. I'm quite happy with it now. Going this route you have the upshot of being able to design your site any way you want.. this may also be a bane for some  :laugh:
It's all personal preference I guess and how serious you think you'll take your strip. If it's just a whim thing that you'll update whenever you might go with the free services. If it's going to be something you'll keep up and plan to devote a lot of time to then it becomes worth it to buy your own domain and hosting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up