THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 14:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Corporation (documentary)  (Read 4059 times)

Felix_

The Corporation (documentary)
« on: 18 Oct 2006, 23:48 »

I was wondering if any of you have seen this film and what your opinions were of it? I thought it was absolutely fantastic, and if you haven't seen it and are interested in how corporations affect our lives in just about every single way I highly recommend it.

bff

• Larger than most fish
Re: The Corporation (documentary)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2006, 06:09 »

I thought they tended to be very heavy handed at times.  Then again I no longer buy any diary products that might have rGBH in them.

practicality

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2006, 22:32 »

While some of it is dramaticized, I'm glad that it is- hopefully it makes people think about what's in their products and who's making them.

bff

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2006, 09:31 »

I disagree.  If you over-dramatize what you are trying to say, you open yourself up for attack.  For example, Michael Moore has some excellent points, but because he takes liscence and goes over the top there are many people who will not listen to anything he has to say.  If the facts clearly support your position it is better to let them speak for themselves.

Felix_

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2006, 15:44 »

I don't really see how anything in the film was dramaticized.

bff

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2006, 18:33 »

they spent the first hour "proving" that corporations are psychotic, the only way they could have gotten more dramatic was if they invited some of those Laguna Beach kids over.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2006, 20:10 »

Any person who acted in the manner all corporations do would be either sociopathic or psychopathic, so it is a fair point to make.
Michael Moore doesn't take licence, he merely emphasises certain things to make a certain case. Exactly the same as EVERY other media outlet, hell, every other person.
Haven't seen this film yet, so I will reserve comment.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Felix_

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2006, 14:34 »

Any person who acted in the manner all corporations do would be either sociopathic or psychopathic, so it is a fair point to make.
Michael Moore doesn't take licence, he merely emphasises certain things to make a certain case. Exactly the same as EVERY other media outlet, hell, every other person.

I agree.

And I have no fucking idea who the Laguna Beach kids are.

TheGrinder

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2006, 16:31 »

I agree.

And I have no fucking idea who the Laguna Beach kids are.

I will probably be renting this pretty soon, looks pretty interesting. I like how he threw in Laguna Beach, wtf?

Grawsith

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2006, 17:00 »

I watch stuff like this, and Super-Size Me, and Bowling For Columbine. And i notice how the world is slowly turning to shit. Which is why I've realised that suppressing my opinions makes me so much happier. Life is great when you ignore it.

Felix_

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2006, 15:27 »

I watch stuff like this, and Super-Size Me, and Bowling For Columbine. And i notice how the world is slowly turning to shit. Which is why I've realised that suppressing my opinions makes me so much happier. Life is great when you ignore it.

I couldn't ever subscribe to the "ignornace is bliss" theory. I enjoy watching these types of films, not necessarily because they are only informative, usually I have a pretty good idea of what's going on in the world regardless, but because I'm a news junkie, a documentary junkie, and a politics junkie I usually end up enjoying them. I like to feel disgusted and angry because for me it's a motivating factor I suppose, and I like to have something to bitch about.  :-D

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2006, 17:53 »

Also, if you like this film I think you would like "The Take". It is by Naomi Klein, so it is a little more serious-like. It is about the factory occupations in Argentina - after factories were closed down for being unprofitable, the workers occupied them and they are now making more money than they did before (I believe the factory is actually MORE profitable, it is not just them being better paid).
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur
Pages: [1]   Go Up