THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 10:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pulling punches  (Read 2384 times)

TheLanyard

Pulling punches
« on: 26 Oct 2006, 00:22 »

I'm on about four other forums besides this one and I try to divide my time evenly as to avoid the whole rapid refresh state I find myself in sometimes waiting for something new that I can relate/reply too.  However, lately I've found that there are a gazillion webcomics out there asking to be critiqued and what not.  People respond to these usually in one of two ways.  One way is to utterly bash the comic.  I don't really know why this happens to some and not others that seem to be just as bad but it does none the less.  The other is to basically say it kicks ass and is incredibly awesome. 

I don't know.  I check out the comic and see nothing special about it.  Nothing to draw me back.  Maybe my sense of humor is off or I don't really know art, but it seems like if the comic isn't very good and the creator asks for feedback, then maybe "Awesome Comic" isn't the best response.  Does anyone else out there notice this?  How often have you given kind words to a comic you didn't even like for the sole purpose of support?

Narr

Re: Pulling punches
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2006, 02:38 »

What specifically inspired this thought process, I'm wondering?

If someone asked me to give critique, I'd give it.  For example, if someone pointed me to QC back in the first 100 strips, I'd have mentioned the art isn't the most fantastic thing I'd ever seen but it gets the job done.  (I'm not trying to be a suck-up when I say that Mr. Jacques has seriously improved.  QC is one of the best drawn comics I personally read.)  If it seems like the plot isn't going anywhere, say it.  If you're just not interested but can't put your finger on exactly why, say you're just not interested and you don't know specifically why.

Seems like honesty is a lost art.

TheLanyard

Re: Pulling punches
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2006, 04:07 »

It's just something I've been thinking about lately as I browse various forums.  It seems like the same topics pop up on every single one.  The only thing that changes are the participants (sometimes not even that) and the atmosphere.  Anyway, whatever spawned it came from different threads I'm sure but notably the ones by self promoters and the one about webcomics that should die.  In the second one, people were tearing more established webcomics a new one, while the comics that have like 6 strips are handled with care.  In my opinion, most of the newer comics I've seen are actually pretty bad and not very funny, yet each one has like seven posts of "Great Comic!", "Hilarious!", or they'll quote something at random.  I was just wondering if anyone else thought about this really.  I started the thread because well...I didn't want to go offtopic in another one and I've never started a thread on here before so I thought I'd go crazy.  You never know what I'm going to do next. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up