THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is Your Favorite Justice League member?

Superman/Clark Kent
Wonder Woman/Diana
The Batman/Bruce Wayne
The Flash/Barry Allen
The Flash/Wally West
Green Lantern/Hal Jordan
Green Lantern/Kyle Rayner
Martian Manhunter/J'onn J'onzz
Aquaman/Arthur Curry
Hawkman/Katar Hol
The Green Arrow/Oliver Queen
Atom/Ray Palmer
Black Canary/Dinah Lance
Zantanna Zatara
Other (I'm lazy)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Justice League  (Read 8437 times)

alonelyargonaut

Favorite Justice League
« on: 27 Oct 2006, 17:45 »

alrighty, because I'm a comic nerd, and because the Justice League (or at least my (and Alex Ross's) idea of) rocks my socks off to no end, I'm gonna get this poll going to see who is really the favorite...

Personally for me it doesn't get better than Hal Jordan as the Green Lantern!

Phoenix

Re: Favorite Justice League
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2006, 19:57 »

I've always been a big fan of Batman.  No super powers, but really smart, really strong, and has the most awesome toys ever.

As a geek, I adore cool gadgets.

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2006, 22:23 »

i've got a lot of respect for the batman, but he is just too obsessive compulsive.

One thing that I've always gone round and round with people about is the idea of the batman.? I feel like much of what they've done has gotten away from the roots of the character.

for starters i love the idea of him being THE Batman, instead of just plain Batman.? This adds to his desires to be less human and more this sort of unstoppable force that stalks the alleys.

Just how open his character seems now too is a little contradictive to those same ideals of the quiet force of the night, the haunting of your dreams, etc.? Batman is supposed to be secretive (and his excess of gadgets also bugs me a bit too) the old school batman is the way to go, where he used raw power along with gadgets.

Basically look at it the Alex Ross way...

This is great, and that is what Superman is supposed to look like too.? I am a hardcore traditionalist with superman.? I hated the new movie.? He's got to be older, (mid to late 30s), he's got to be big (6'5" at the bare minimum)? he also has to be terribly out of touch with what is considered the right thing now a days.? He is representative of our 1950s golden era.? He is the moral (though not in the annoying homophobe right wing manner) compass, he is always out to do right, even if it is in conflict with the times, because he is timeless and ageless.? He's the boy scout.? that's my superman rant

There is just something about the Justice League (especially the Silver Age (Superman, Wonder Woman, The Batman, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), The Flash (Barry Allen), Aquaman, Martian Manhunter) that is just glorious.  They have this sort of mythical sense about them, like some forgotten Greek Pantheon.  This in turn makes me really opinionated as to their style, their ways of being, and makes me a steadfast traditionalist, especially on superman (they've fucked him up time and time again (the only Superman I've liked was Dean Caine (sp))).  Adherence to these traditions of character are essential to get the real feel of the justice league.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2006, 22:32 by alonelyargonaut »

BTWulf

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2006, 05:37 »

One of my favorite things about the league isn't so much the heroes themselves, but more the way they interact with each other; Identity Crisis was great for that (I know it's not technically a league book, but it was at heart.  I'm also the farthest thing from a traditionalist, I don't need Batman or Superman (Though I love the characters), I loved the Giffen era of the league, and Meltzer's new league.

What I like about Batman isn't the gadgets, it the brain.  The guy can't fly or see through walls or anything like that; he has to think his way through every problem.  He has no powers and he?s still one of the best heroes.  Even when all he seems to do is beat the shit out of a bunch of thugs, you know he thought his way though the battle before he threw the first punch.

Phoenix

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2006, 08:34 »

One of my favorite things about the league isn't so much the heroes themselves, but more the way they interact with each other

On that idea, I remember my friend showing me an episode of the Justice League cartoon that I absolutely loved.  It was the one where The Flash and Lex Luthor accidentally switched bodies.  Lex Luthor, in The Flash's body, was hiding from the rest of the Justice League in one of the space station's bathrooms.
Looking into the mirror, he says to himself, "Well, at least while I'm like this, I can find out The Flash's secret identity and exploit it."
He takes off The Flash's mask, stares into the mirror for a moment, and says in a mildly irritated voice, "I have no idea who this is."

I won't spoil the rest.  The Flash as Lex Luthor is absolutely hysterical, though.

BTWulf

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2006, 09:24 »

I love the JLA animated series. Something similar to the Lex in the bathroom thing was during the Season two finale when the team is being chased and the best way to escape is to get out of costume, but the Flash is a little hesitant to give up his identity, even if it is only to the league.  Batman;s reaction, points to Flash, "Wally West," Points to Superman, "Clark Kent," removes his cowl, "Bruce Wayne."

I had an unnatural love for that show.

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2006, 19:17 »

i enjoyed it, but i don't like the fact that they sacrificed Hal Jordan for John Stewart because they needed a black guy on the team.  I like Stewart's character, but in comparison to how awesome Jordan is, Stewart will forever be second fiddle.  That's his character type, he doesn't have the leadership qualities, and innovation to be the greatest lantern like Hal was.

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2006, 20:36 »

I would say J'onn, just because he pretty much is the JLA, the heart and soul and brains of it all in one. It's as constant a thing as you get, pretty much anywhere in comics. In general I like to see the team as the Big 7, MM along with Supes, Bats, Wondie, AQ, GL, and the Flash, and then Plastic Man's always there because any chance you have to put Plastic Man in a comic book, you should take. I did like the Morrison/Kelly-era portrayals of the team, with that group as sort of the core members of a continually rotating and updating roster of members changing as circumstances dictated. At any given moment you'd have Orion, Barda, Steel, Huntress, Green Arrow, Hawkgirl, Firestorm, Zatanna, any of an entire list of great characters involved.

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #8 on: 01 Nov 2006, 00:56 »

have any of you had the chance to read Darwyn Cooke's "DC: The New Frontier" Volumes 1 and 2?

It's a great retelling of the passing of the torch from the Justice Society and the Golden Age heroes to the Justice League of America, all taken place within the tumultuous era of the post war decade.  I highly reccomend it to anyone who is old school like me, or is really interested in a good place to jump off into the DC world.  And definitely for you fifthfiend because you said you like J'onn J'onzz.  They do a really good job with making his story fresh and giving him more detail.

Ragman

« Reply #9 on: 01 Nov 2006, 11:23 »

Gotta go with Hal. He's awesome. All of the Hard Travelin' Heroes are. If I didn't go with him, I'd go with Dinah, then Roy, then Ollie. I love that Meltzer put Hal, Dinah and Roy into the new Justice League. Nice to see them spend time together sans Ollie.

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #10 on: 02 Nov 2006, 17:23 »

HAL YEAH!!!! :laugh:

hohoho i'm  a funny one!

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #11 on: 04 Nov 2006, 01:21 »

never been such a big fan of HAL

a lot of the major DC heroes i don't like, and for me, GL only fits in a cosmic setting (i am loving the new GL corps)

and hal has the ability to overcome fear, but kyle was always more imaginitive

i put Canary :)
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

donovangelonardo

« Reply #12 on: 05 Nov 2006, 23:37 »

Aquaman now has a single vote, hooray!

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #13 on: 06 Nov 2006, 23:07 »

He is representative of our 1950s golden era.? He is the moral (though not in the annoying homophobe right wing manner) compass, he is always out to do right, even if it is in conflict with the times, because he is timeless and ageless.? He's the boy scout.? that's my superman rant

Actually, I think it's pretty well-documented that Superman is a dick.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #14 on: 07 Nov 2006, 02:36 »

superman isnt a dick, he's just out of touch.  he's the honest boyscout trapped in a world drifting towards batman style justice.  he's the conscience of america, the good angel on our shoulder saying "hey, stop."  He is challenging because unlike batman who stands in this gray area of justice but sees only in black and white superman is black and white willing to see gray.

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #15 on: 07 Nov 2006, 08:29 »

He's a dick.

Ragman

« Reply #16 on: 07 Nov 2006, 10:06 »

The whole thing of Superdickery.com is to find silver age covers, out of their context. Without showing the entire issue, you don't know the context of the cover, not to mention the fact that covers have always been somewhat misleading. They show something that maybe from the comic, may be allude to something within it, or may not at all.

For example, the Jim Lee variant cover to Infinite Crisis number one predominately featured Dr. Light in the top of it, under the title, yet he has a bit part among a group of other villains attacking the, arguably in context, more important Freedom Fighters.

Covers have one purpose: To attract readers. They're like a movie poster, for something that's only 23 pages long. One way that's done is through the simple act of shock. To show Superman's parenting skills in such a way, the artist defamed him, which made some people upset enough that they had to grab the issue, only to realize it was probably stolen or something and Superman actually only returns it (don't own the issue, just assuming).

So please, don't be a dick yourself. Don't post anything off of Superdickery.com. Read something like the OYL Superman/Action Comics to see the real Superman.

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #17 on: 07 Nov 2006, 11:00 »

Dude.  I was kidding.  How obvious do I have to make it?

Phoenix

« Reply #18 on: 07 Nov 2006, 17:33 »

Those covers aren't real, are they?

Even out of context, he's being a complete wang.  I just assumed they'd been photoshopped or something.

ImRonBurgundy?

« Reply #19 on: 07 Nov 2006, 21:43 »

The guy who runs the site swears up and down that they're real.  They wouldn't be funny if they weren't, honestly.

megarobohobo

« Reply #20 on: 08 Nov 2006, 08:21 »

Green arrow is from Seattle.
I am from Seattle.
If I am mistaken, then my vote is misplaced.
He doesn't have powers either, I think that's what's cool about some heroes, they don't fight crime because they think they're meant to, they do it because it's what they want to do.

Ragman

« Reply #21 on: 09 Nov 2006, 11:38 »

First, superdickery covers are mostly real. Books like Superman's Pal Jimmy Olson (pre-Kirby, mind you) were THAT stupid, yet they were seldom really in continuity, and were often COMPLETELY out of context of the story.

Second, though GA spent his first solo comic in Seatle, he is a native of the fictional Star City, where he is now Mayor. He spent the years leading up to his death in an attempt to stop a terrorist attack in Seatle until Conor Hawke, his son, took up the mantle. Green Arrow is now back in Star City after Hal, as the Spectre/Paralax, bought him back.

MatticusPrime

« Reply #22 on: 10 Nov 2006, 02:21 »

The Question.  :-D
Pages: [1]   Go Up