THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 17:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jack Thompson disbarred  (Read 3812 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Jack Thompson disbarred
« on: 28 Sep 2008, 16:36 »

Although by no means do I believe this will be the last of his shenanigans, it gives me some comfort this morning to hear that Mr Thompson has been disbarred and ordered to pay about $45k in legal fees.

For a look into the mind of a madman/moron, here's his press release about it:

Immediate News Release – Sept. 25, 2008: Miami Attorney Jack Thompson Disbarred by Florida Supreme Court
Miami attorney Jack Thompson, nationally and internationally known by virtue of his effective and successful opposition over the last 20 years to the broadcast, marketing, and sale of adult-rated entertainment to children, has just been informed by the Florida Supreme Court that he has been disbarred from the practice of law today.

This disbarment is in retaliation, among other things, for Thompson’s Tyndale House book Out of Harm’s Way, published in 2005, which blew the whistle on the Florida Supreme Court’s earlier efforts in the 1990’s to literally pathologize his faith-based and successful activism against the American entertainment industry. The Florida Bar’s insurance carrier was forced to pay Thompson money damages for that earlier assault upon his First Amendment rights, which is the only known payment of damages by any state bar to any lawyer for improper disciplinary efforts. It appears that the State of Florida will be paying Thompson more damages this time around for its illegal, now repeated, use of “discipline” to punish a Christian lawyer for his activism in the public square.

The timing of this disbarment transparently reveals its motivation: This past Friday Thompson filed a federal civil rights action against The Bar, the Supreme Court, and all seven of its Justices. This rush to disbarment is in retribution for the filing of that federal suit. With enemies this foolish, Thompson needs only the loyal friends he has.

Thompson looks forward to successfully litigating his federal claims, now before US District Court Judge Marcia Cooke in the Southern District of Florida.

Thompson always wanted to own a Bar. Now, armed with multiple US Supreme Court rulings that no state bar can do what it has done to Thompson, he is set to own that Bar.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: Jack Thompson disbarred
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2008, 17:56 »

I'd drink in his bar.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2008, 17:56 »

I'd drink it up!
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2008, 17:58 »

Happy smile!

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2008, 17:59 »

That is to say, I enjoy this in a totally non-ironic fashion.

Or is it 'un-ironic'?

'Anti-ironic'?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2008, 19:45 »

Genuine?
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2008, 21:27 »

Cool news indeed!
Hate, rain on me

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2008, 07:14 »

I'd like it noted that I'm pretty sure Fred Phelps only got worse when he didn't have frivolous lawsuits to file anymore. I'll consider this a good thing when I'm certain the dude's not going to start picketing the funerals of directors and game creators.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2008, 19:49 »

Genuine?

I was under the impression that to be a hipster you weren't allowed to be genuine.  You have to be post-ironic or some such.  I'm hip to the jive, homes.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2008, 19:58 »

I was under the impression that YOU WEREN'T A HIPSTER, MANG.

I'm glad the ball dropped on Thompson. It seems somewhat surreal, as I was under the impression the Real World viewed him as a normal, if energetic, politician.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #10 on: 29 Sep 2008, 20:04 »

Nah.  I think he's always been fringe.  How many real news outlets have hosted him?  How many have hosted him a second time?  We're only really aware of him because he bumps up against our world.

Think about it like this.  You're driving down the highway and the corpse of a stockbroker lands on your car.  It's really big news for you, it's news for everyone around you, it's a damn pain in the ass for everyone stuck in the traffic jam Joe Stock just caused, for everyone else it's five seconds on the evening news and something under the fold in the business section of the next day's paper.

Jack Thompson's career is the last few seconds of a free-falling stockbroker.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2008, 10:49 »

I was under the impression that to be a hipster you weren't allowed to be genuine.  You have to be post-ironic or some such.  I'm hip to the jive, homes.

I must admit, this made my day.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty
Pages: [1]   Go Up