THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 11:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: knitters???  (Read 21453 times)

quietnow

• Furry furrier
knitters???
« on: 04 Nov 2006, 05:32 »

who knits??

i demand a harry potter scarf.
Quote from: Sam
Anyone who doesn't have a crush on Kari is doing it wrong.

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: knitters???
« Reply #1 on: 04 Nov 2006, 07:02 »

You mean like a nice, long, bar scarf? My mom made me one last winter, it's red and black. I'll have to take a picture of it.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2 on: 06 Nov 2006, 04:49 »

http://knit.atypically.net/scarves/

there's the pattern. they are very very close to the ones in the movies. like...dead on, basically. i started a ravenclaw scarf for a friend last year, but i never finished it. at this rate, she might just get the yarn and whatnot and have to finish it herself.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2006, 02:27 »

I knit, but sorry Kari, there is no way in HELL I am knitting a scarf! They take forever and are very boring to knit, I despise them >.<
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

AcrophobicPixie

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2006, 21:10 »

Working on a scarf for a friend (plain jane blue, not harry potter) and trying to do a pair of socks... Socks are EVIL!!! I've got a pattern for two circular needles (vs 5 double pointed) which is supposed to be easier, but before I can finish the first round, some of my stitches fall off the needle and unravel. *grrs*

bigevilgrape

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2006, 11:05 »

You can try using one cir instead it might be easier for you (its easier for me)  its the same concept more or less and I think that knitpicks.com even has a free patern for socks on 1 circ.  Once you get a few rounds in it will be easier; the needles will be more stable and  you will get into the rythm.

And Kari you should knit your own harry potter scarf.  Its a symple pattern and there are lots of learn to knit sites on the web.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2006, 21:56 »

I have decided that I want to try to learn to knit.  I had my mom show me on Thanksgiving, but so far I fail pretty hard at it.  No scarves coming from me any time soon...sorry!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

heather

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2006, 01:33 »

I'm getting more and more into sweaters now. Sad, because I can't really knit bulky things anymore cause of the Sydney climate, so I have to be inventive. :) I'm also going to make a lacey shawl at some point. I will, for serious.

I'm currently making a wrap style sweater, but I'm only about an inch in from the neck. It is knit in top-down style so as to minimize finishing. I'll post pictures when I am at the point of sleeve separation.

(Disclaimer: I am a HUGE knitting nerd, been knitting for a few years now, and it is easy to get me going.) :)

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2006, 07:51 »

screw Harry Potter, I wants me a Dr. Who scarf. Now thats a man's scarf.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2006, 21:37 »

I as well have wanted a Harry Potter scarf, of which I would be more then willing to knit myself --but alas, that would take talent, and spending time with my mother so she can teach me how... Maybe over Winter Break.
A Dr. Who scarf -would- be friggin' awesome!

spectrumsa-z

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2006, 01:36 »

http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/ !!

Knitting a scarf currently.  It's not a cool Doctor Who scarf, but it is a really pretty olive green yarn with other jewel tones wrapped in.  Very pretty; I love yarn.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2006, 05:35 »

My girlfriend just randomly started knitting within the past year.  She began working on a scarf for herself late last winter, and I told her winter would be over before she could finish it.  I was right, but she would still happily break out those needles every chance she got.  She also recently crafted some fingerless gloves.  Now, she's nearing finals in her first semester as a grad student, and still plans on somehow knitting multiple scarves for Christmas presents, as well as a blanket for her parents.  Guess I won't be getting my scarf any time soon.  Hrmph. 

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2006, 19:57 »

so......how hard is it to knit?
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2006, 20:00 »

Um...well, I've never done, but I guess it can't be any harder then say...Crochet, or needlepoint. I've watched my Mom and my Grandma do it for a long time, I've just never gotten the motivation to actually learn how to do it myself.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2006, 21:41 »

I have found it to be easy in theory, and a motherfucker to put in practice.  As I said earlier, I pretty much fail at parts of life involving knitting fun things.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #15 on: 01 Dec 2006, 08:22 »

i find knitting to be a very rewarding endeavour, and rather easy once you get the hang of it.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Mr.Joshua

« Reply #16 on: 03 Dec 2006, 06:18 »

http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/ !!

Knitting a scarf currently.  It's not a cool Doctor Who scarf, but it is a really pretty olive green yarn with other jewel tones wrapped in.  Very pretty; I love yarn.

Anyone have an opinion on how hard one these would be to make for someone who has never even seen somone knit?  Or good websites with instructions for beginners?

Ally

« Reply #17 on: 03 Dec 2006, 06:28 »

Heather linked me to an absolutely amazing website. It has videos and good instructions, it helped me learn how to do cables and it could teach you how to knit: www.knittinghelp.com

That site says that the scarf can be knit in garter stitch, which is all knitting (no purling) so it should be easy. Except almost everyone's first scarf doesn't look great, so maybe try a practice one first? It can also be knit in stockinette, which I like better, but that involves purling which is slightly more difficult for the first time knitter.

But you can do it, good luck!

(I need to finish my Hufflepuff scarf soon.)

evilclosetmonkey

« Reply #18 on: 04 Dec 2006, 10:13 »

To respond to a few things....

For starters, I'm not evilclosetmonkey.  I am evilclosetmonkey's knit-obsessed girlfriend, who didn't feel like signing up but wanted to comment anyways.

Knitting in general is pretty easy.  It becomes almost mindless once you've gotten the hang of it.  Knittinghelp.com is the best site I've ever seen, and though I learned to knit from my grandmother I've relied very heavily on it to coach me through the advanced techniques.  Just watch the videos over and over and try to follow along with your own needles and you'll get it pretty fast.

I agree with redglasscurls.  Harry Potter scarves, while cute and all, are boring as hell to knit.  Knit, knit, knit knit..... repeat until crosseyed.... WHOA CHANGE COLORS..... knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit........ boring!  However, if you're looking for something easy to start on, Harry Potter scarves are the way to go.  Knit in the round on circular needles, and just change colors every so often.  Easy peasy.  I say go for it quietnow and make your own scarf.

Acrophobicpixie: Socks can be frustrating, but if you stick to four needles (I've always found the fifth needle to be unnecessary) and start simple you can get the hang of them pretty easily.  If you keep having trouble with stitches falling off the needles you're probably a loose knitter, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Try using wood needles.  They give you more friction and keep your stitches on.

Mr.Joshua, you could not have picked an easier project to start with.  The true Dr. Who scarf is just garter stitch.  No purling, no knitting in the round.  They take FOREVER to knit, but aside from that it's the perfect starting project.  And I say screw a starter scarf.  Just start it, and if it looks bad, keep pulling it out and starting over until you've got the hang of it.  I figure you'd be fine after you've knit a couple inches of it.  12 feet of scarf affords plenty of room to figure out what you're doing.

I like talking about knitting way too much.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #19 on: 04 Dec 2006, 21:05 »

that's because knitting is COOL.

once you figure out how to do the stitches, knitting isn't too hard until you start doing more complicated things. scarves like the two mentioned above are not that complicated. (scarves aren't hard unless they are all lacy and stuff, but they're probably the easiest of the lacy things.) my first project was a scarf. except i made the mistake of using really fuzzy yarn and one end was a lot fatter than the other, because somehow i added stitches. but i learned from it, so that was good. but i learned mostly from books, so the only websites i know are pattern sites.

mts

« Reply #20 on: 08 Dec 2006, 04:26 »

knitting is fun since it gives me hands somethign to do while i watch tv.

was working on a pair of socks but got through with one and got bored and put it down and havn't picked it up since. 

i usually just do scarves on regular needles. Are those of you using circular ones doing it long ways or working short ways?

i personally can't stand circular needles , if doing round stuff i just use double pointed

SpinKitty

« Reply #21 on: 08 Dec 2006, 22:31 »

I knit!  I'm thinking about taking commissions, but I'm still sorta unsure about it and how much I'll charge.  If you're looking for someone to knit you a Harry Potter scarf, quietnow, drop me a pm and we'll discuss it. 

Btw, socks are not evil!  I love knitting in the round!  I haven't tried using the two circular needles method, however.  I taught myself to knit from a booklet twenty years ago, so it can be done, especially with all the videos available on the web nowadays.  I found a useful vid about Kitchener stitch on YouTube, so look around.

AcrophobicPixie

« Reply #22 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:52 »

I figured it out on the two circulars finally. Gazillionth time is a charm, they say.
Kicks photobucket since it doesn't like to save size changes....
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/AcrophobicPixie/DCFC0008.jpg

See? two circular needles!! The stitches are split in half, so you don't have to do a sock as long diameter wise as your circ. needles are long. And these were both the shortest and smallest size needles the local craftstore sells. (size three's by clover) Don't know if I really like the wood needles. They tend to hurt my finger more when I accidentally stab myself. *shrug*
The pattern for the sock I'm doing is in the front of the Debbie Macomber novel, A Good Yarn. The one in the series before it, The Shop on Blossom Street had a baby blanket pattern in the front that is very useful for such things as babies (duh) and the Linus Project. If I find a nice yarn, I think I'm going to do that after I finish all of my other WIPs. Silly yarn addiction...
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2006, 09:55 by AcrophobicPixie »

bigevilgrape

« Reply #23 on: 14 Dec 2006, 12:34 »

I find that no particlar part of knitting is hard to do.  The hard thing to do is string together a whole bunch of techniques to form a complex pattern (and not having it look like something your cat coughed up)

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2006, 02:38 »

For me, the hardest part in knitting is fixing mistakes. And I learned the hard way why it's so important to use lifelines during lace knitting (see the instructional video- just an extra minute to insert the lifeline could've saved me from ripping 6 inches out of my scarf :( http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php)

Anyway, I encourage everyone who hasn't tried to start knitting <3, it's incredibly stress-relieving for me and it's nice to be able to knit unique presents for friends/relatives/etc, other than copping-out and going to the mall to shop ;).

The scarf I just finished for a friend is located here (pattern, and all)- http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=15222.0

Happy knitting adventures!

rambunctiousky

« Reply #25 on: 29 Dec 2006, 08:22 »

OMG I found the knitting forum. I'm going to jump for joy now! yay!

I love knitting! I've been knitting since I was eight when my great-aunt taught me how. I've been addicted ever since.

I maintain that knitting is not hard. It is, however, awkward. It's just like learning how to write or how to drive. It's really weird at first and your hands don't know quite what they're doing. After a while though, it becomes really habitual and, therefore, easy. As long as you can get over the learninig curve you're set!

I still think the best way to learn how to knit is with a book, a pair of needles, and someone who already knows how to knit. If you are interested in learning how to knit I would suggest looking around for a yarn shop in your area or a craft store like Michaels that has classes. Just watching someone can help you learn if you're a visual learner like I am. I also vouch for knittinghelp.com. Fabulous site.

Another fabulous first project besides the garter stitch scarf is a washcloth. Buy all cotten yarn, cast on until you have about 7", knit till you have a square, and cast off. Ta Da! Now you can scrub yourself clean like you never have before!

If anyone has questions about knitting I'd be glad to help. I've knit an aweful lot of stuff and I love talking about knitting!

I also agree with the other knitters though, knitting a harry potter scarf is not particularly enjoyable. I made one in a rib stitch for my friend and it took forever. He loves it though, so its all good. Also, it's kind of difficult to find just the right colors.

Anyway, I'm going to stop being all geeky now.

Yay knitting!

heather

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #26 on: 01 Jan 2007, 09:51 »

I haven't been knitting recently because I've been having wrist problems, but I am going to try to get back into it soon. :)

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #27 on: 03 Jan 2007, 21:05 »

Ooh! Ooh! There's a knitting forum! :-D :mrgreen: :laugh: :mrgreen: :-D

I knit all the time, and I am so done with scarves. I hope to never knit another, unless it is on a circular sock machine.  Sorry, quietnow!

I tried the 2 circular method for socks, and while I appreciate the fact that once you get going your stitches are more secure, I couldn't stand all that jangling around of the needle not in use. 5 dpns all the way! (I use 5 instead of 4 because the math is easier)

Right now I'm making 2 sweaters, a baby blanket, and a pair of baby leggings. One sweater is for me - a 2X2 ribbed sleeveless v-neck made from superwash merino sock wool. It's awesome to knit with.  One sweater is actually a tandem project - I'm knitting the body while my friend knits the sleeves for our other friend whose ex-boyfriend went crazy the week before Christmas because she was seeing someone else, and he cut up all her clothes with scissors and poured bleach on them. So we're making her a new sweater, and she got lots of gift certificates for Christmas. Crazy ex moved to Tennessee, so that's good.  The baby stuff is for my nephew-to-be, who is supposed to be born in late March. The leggings are adorable, but I've run out of yarn and the company doesn't sell it anymore. So I'm trolling Ebay with my fingers crossed.

I agree with rambunctiousky about washcloths. They are fun, quick, and useful.  And mistakes don't matter.
Ho, ho, ho!

meghaneyr

« Reply #28 on: 11 Jan 2007, 14:14 »

OH MY GOSH, I AM IN NEWBIE HEAVEN.

Knitting + QC.

All of you need to check out www.knitty.com and browse through every single one of their issues.

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2007, 00:56 »

I second the Knitty recommendation.

heather

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #30 on: 13 Jan 2007, 05:38 »

I've been following Knitty for a few years now. It is wonderful, the patterns are simple and oh so good looking. I am not pleased with all of them, but it is a wonderful reference for both beginners and experts.

meghaneyr

« Reply #31 on: 13 Jan 2007, 07:04 »

I don't quite understand the point of this "book of knitty" pattern that got thrown into this season's edition.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #32 on: 13 Jan 2007, 07:28 »

it'd make more sense if it was just full of texture or color or something that would interest a kid that young. then i think it would actually be kind of cute.

i hearts knitty otherwise. they have really awesome patterns.

meghaneyr

« Reply #33 on: 13 Jan 2007, 11:00 »

Right now I'm making this in red.

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/brea/brea.html

I did about 1/3 of it today, only took about 2 hours!

Oh, and Berroco is my favorite yarn company.  They have awesome free patterns as well!  Everyone check them out!  So my question to you all is, what's your favorite company?

heather

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jan 2007, 16:19 »

I'm not actually too fond of Berroco's stuff.

I like Debbie Bliss (cashmerino, mmm), Noro, Blue Sky, and many many others.

meghaneyr

« Reply #35 on: 14 Jan 2007, 09:47 »

Oh Blue Sky... I am absolutely in love with their organic cotton.  I made the best turtleneck with it!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #36 on: 14 Jan 2007, 10:02 »

i'm contemplating learning how to knit, mainly to impress a lady friend who has the potential to be more than that with some effort. and b/c it's apparantly damn relaxing. besides, knit scarves make wonderous gifts.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #37 on: 14 Jan 2007, 10:06 »

Mmm... I like Koigu, Debbie Bliss, and some KnitPicks yarns, esp. Andean Silk.  Ooh, and Regia Silk for socks.
Ho, ho, ho!

Ally

« Reply #38 on: 17 Jan 2007, 02:23 »

KNITTING EXTRAVAGANZA LAST WEEKEND! I took two of my friends to my favorite yarn store in Vermont. They bought some Debbie Bliss and are knitting mittens from the latest knitty, called Corazon, and I've been craving this hat for aaages so I knit it up quick as a first fair isle project. I never really learned how to fair isle, which is probably why my stars look sort of crappy, but I have left-over yarn (thank God - it was so expensive) so I might try again and give this one away as a gift. One of my friends asked for it, so if I can block it properly I think it'd be nice to give her.

Now, can you guys give me some blocking advice? I suck at blocking. I don't even remember how to do it properly, I haven't finished a project in ages.

It is too wide and too short and looks silly on my head. I can fix this, right?

« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2007, 02:39 by Ally »

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #39 on: 19 Feb 2007, 20:06 »

I finished this coin purse over the weekend:

Open so you can see the pretty seed-stitch border:
Ho, ho, ho!

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #40 on: 20 Feb 2007, 02:30 »

Ooooh.
Want.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #41 on: 20 Feb 2007, 07:14 »

it's so cute! and i like your hat ally.

question - where do you guys get your yarn from? there are no stores around here that sell nice wool, which is really kind of sad. do any of you know of any good websites or catalogues? (i live in the US)
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2007, 09:39 by Linds »

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #42 on: 20 Feb 2007, 09:11 »

I don't know where you are, but I am happy with the selection, quality and price from both www.knitpicks.com and yarn.com.  KnitPicks in particular is good for me, because their warehouse is one state over and delivery is very fast. WEBS (yarn.com) carries name-brand luxury yarns as well as their own line, so there is more variety. Also, WEBS has terrific sales about twice a year, and the more you order the cheaper it is.
Ho, ho, ho!

lb969

« Reply #43 on: 20 Feb 2007, 11:33 »

I kinda knit, but its with steel instead of yarn...

And a scarf I make would weight about 7 pounds...

Chainmail FTW!

nigglesworth

« Reply #44 on: 20 Feb 2007, 15:46 »

I finished this coin purse over the weekend:

That is super cute!

I made one of those Harry Potter scarves with the directions from that site.. Took FOREVER, and it was super tedious.. but it sure looks nice now that it's finished. I even went all out and bought nice yarn from the store, the $7 per skein kind.. OUCH.

Do you guys usually use the nice stuff, or the cheap Michael's brands?

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #45 on: 20 Feb 2007, 16:25 »

I only knit with natural fibers. I would like to knit with cashmere, but unfortunately it is still out of my price range. Every time I go to the yarn store, I think, "Can I afford to pay $36/skein for this?" and unfortunately, the answer has always been, "Not yet."

I can afford to pay up to $18/skein, though, depending on the size of the project, so I do. The smaller the project, the more expensive the yarn.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2007, 18:37 by pinkgrrlygeek »
Ho, ho, ho!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #46 on: 20 Feb 2007, 18:35 »

i buy the cheap stuff, but that's because i don't know of any stores around here where i can go and actually look at and feel yarn. (i'm picky.) that and i stockpiled when i was a beginner and now that i can do more complicated things, i think it's time i get the good stuff.

tyrannic

« Reply #47 on: 10 Mar 2007, 01:29 »

Wooo Knitters!

I have been knitting since I was sixteen.  I totally agree with Unosuke - Doctor Who scarves are the shit.  I have been knitting one on and off for about nine months now and have almost finished.  FINALLY.  God the thing is long!  I only have about five or six more stripes to go....  *pant*

Also if you're new to knitting and don't know how it's supposed to look, go to www.anniesattick.com.  It has a library of stitches and little .mov videos of all of them, so you can tell if you're doing it right or not!  Very helpful for those of us who are into self-teaching.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #48 on: 12 Mar 2007, 14:43 »

I used the directions from that website to make kari's scarf a while ago.

I think it took me like three or four days and a lot of The L Word's first season
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

kafftanamaroo

« Reply #49 on: 13 Mar 2007, 02:06 »

I like to knit with big needles and watch movies if I'm doing a scarf.
But my needles and wool are on the opposite side of the globe, so no knitting for me this year.

Nice Harry Potter scarf you've got there!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up