THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 15:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: All Inclusive "Recommend Me For Music" Thread  (Read 171426 times)

Banana_Hammock

All Inclusive "Recommend Me For Music" Thread
« on: 23 May 2006, 08:29 »

I have been trying to get into Jazz lately but I don’t really know where to start…

I have a rather diverse music taste, stretching from Johnny Cash to Velvet Underground to the Clash to Neutral Milk Hotel and beyond, but Jazz is a mystery to me, mainly because my father whom has inspired my music taste a lot hates it…

I’ve bought a few Miles Davis albums (Birth of Cool, Kind of Blue and Porgy and Bess) which I love, but I don’t really know where to go from here. Any suggestions?

mrpaku

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2006, 08:33 »

I'd say most anything by John Coltrane.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2006, 08:43 »

The National Anthem by Radiohead is probably a decent starting point. It's kind of them saying 'what if we did jazz?'

It's not completely jazz, I guess. Proper jazz fans would probably shit on it, but it's got the kind of squeaky horn wankery on it that has become synonymous with jazz.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

timehat

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2006, 08:47 »

Keeping things diverse: Mahavishnu Orchestra, McCoy Tyner, Ornette Coleman, Antonio Carlos Jobim (not technically jazz, but very influenced by it and very influential to it).

Fipher

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2006, 08:52 »

If you're looking for big band type jazz, Frank Senatra is King while Glenn Miller is like his brother who didn't get the throne because of some minor detail in the law of the crown.

alyosha

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2006, 09:21 »

It depends on what kind of Jazz you want.  

For Hot/Big Band Jazz, I'd suggest George Gershwin, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Billie Holiday, Ella FItzgerald, Diana Krall, Keely Smith, Louis Armstrong, and, well, Squirrel nut Zippers.  

For Bebop, Check out Thelonius Monk and CHarlie Parker.  Honorable Mentions to Duke Ellington and Miles Davis.

For fusion, I'd recommend Herbie Hancock, Blood, Sweat and Tears, and any sort of 70's funk mix.

For more modern Jazz, I'll second Coltrane, and add Branford Marsalis, and Dave Brubeck.

If you want some experimental music, the classic example is John Cage, and I'd even suggest some early Bruce Springsteen, notably "The Wild, THe Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle" and his newest Album: "The Seeger Sessions"

Edit:  for some good neuveaux Brass:  Rebirth Brass Band, Vavavoom, Tijuana Brass, Elvis COstello and the Metropol Orkest, and, heck, get Sirius Sattellite and Listen to Channel 24...

Enter some of these names in the Music Genome Project at www.pandora.com for some more suggestions.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2006, 10:35 »

Miles Davis is a good start (Birth of the cool - Cool Jazz, and Kind of Blue - Modal Jazz, both styles are part of the Post Bop period of Jazz Miles was coming from). Go further with Charlie Parker and Coltrane (Start with his early recordings) both are Bebop and some Post Bop. For more good Bebop go with Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers.
If your into Avant Grade, go for Ornette Coleman, Erick Dolphi and John Zorn - fronting the Free Jazz Movement.
For good Hard Bop go for Tom Harrell. And try Medeski, Martin & Wood for a modern trio.
If your into Vocal Jazz, try Dianne Reeves and her amazing trio (they're fucking brilliant live)
For fusion check out Weather Report, Spyro Gyra, Dave Weckl group and of course Jaco Partorius solo works.

Jazz is a very interesting and allways innovative style of music, good luck with it. Plus, keep All Music by your side for future references.

Als0, Duke Ellington is Swing, a pre-Bebop movement in Jazz. Not Bebop. Swing was a Big Band orianted music, very different from Bebop (why? books have been written about it, I'm not going to get into it here).
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Luke

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2006, 13:07 »

"Lullaby" by Ben Folds, and I'll second The National Anthem by Radiohead. It's a fucking strange song, but it has that jazzy element to it.

I get the impression that Ben Folds would make an excellent jazz pianist, but he leans more towards rock in most of his music. Lullaby is a good jazz track though.

thedevilissix

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2006, 13:38 »

Art fookin' Blakey an' his fookin' Jazz Messengers, like.
Top drumming, top grooving, top times.

Also The Bad Plus for lovely jazz takes upon your favourite rock and techno standards (e.g. Aphex's "Flim" and a "Smells Like Teen Spirit" cover that is actually *gosh* good.

TheMike

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2006, 13:57 »

Count Basie, Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus

Thelonious Monk and Count Basie are my absolute two favorite jazz artists ever, ever. You can't go wrong with any of their albums.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2006, 14:40 »

Does anyone know any jazz (or anything really) that sounds like this:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D0A71F6B22E9AADA
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Banana_Hammock

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2006, 15:37 »

Thanks for all the suggestions.... I've got some listening to do now.

darkhorizons

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2006, 17:18 »

OH!  Good thing this was here!

Guys, I have to do a Jazz solo sometime next month.  And yes.  I listen to a bit of jazz, but not enough to pick out a quality solo out of the mess.

I need some sort of jazz ballad I can sing without much difficulty.  I'm a Contralto with a relatively limited range.  Any help would be appreciated greatly!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2006, 17:30 »

I think everyone in here should go out and buy Archie Shepp's St. Louis Blues. that is a beautiful jazz album.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2006, 17:32 »

Quote from: Fipher
If you're looking for big band type jazz, Frank Senatra is King while Glenn Miller is like his brother who didn't get the throne because of some minor detail in the law of the crown.

You have got to be kidding me.  Frank Sinatra's great, but he is far from being the be-all and end-all of big band.

BIG BAND:

- Duke Ellington: anything from the early 1940s (the "Blanton-Webster" band), especially from 1940.  Tracks to keep an eye out for: "Jack the Bear", "Ko-Ko", "Morning Glory", "Concerto for Cootie", "Cottontail", "Never No Lament", "Bojangles", etc.

- Count Basie: most recordings from the late 1930s through to the mid-to-late 1950s.  Lots of great albums in the '50s especially: Chairman of the Board, the Complete Atomic Basie, Count Basie Swings, Joe Williams Sings.  Also look for compilations of the Decca recordings of his "first testament" band from 1937-39.

- Benny Goodman: the Carnegie Hall concert from 1938 is a classic.  The sound-quality's band, but the music's great, especially in the second half.

- Gerry Mulligan: very different from the above-mentioned names (all of whom are swing - Mulligan is modern jazz), but his Concert Jazz Band from the 1960s was terrific.  There are a few live recordings out - get any of them.

I don't have time right now to write out an exhaustive list of jazz essentials, but I'll try to get back to this thread soon.  In the meantime, I'll suggest the following proven technique of getting into new music: if you hear an album you like, find out who's playing on it.  Then find out who else they played with.  Buy albums by those people.  And so on - pretty soon you'll have a chain of cool albums you like, and you'll be learning more all the time.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2006, 17:33 »

That method (usually) works out great for jazz. Like, more so than pretty much anything else ever.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Inlander

• coprophage
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2006, 17:53 »

That's because in jazz, everyone plays with everyone else.

nuisance

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2006, 22:21 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

Hmm.. vocally, it's a lot like a bunch of really bad acid jazz, which I don't think you'd like.  The context makes it more twisted and ... problematic. :)  I think you'd be hard pressed to find other things like that.  

Since I'm here and you seem to write about this kind of neo-folk and also metal a lot, have you heard Linda Perhacs' 'Parallelograms'?  From mid-70s, psych-folk, the singer for Opeth rabbits on about how good she is, from memory.  Are Opeth cool with metallers?  *shrug*  I don't know my metal from my ass (although I do know that's almost a Metallica reference ;)).

As for jazz, dunno.  FMP seem to be the label to check if you want free, but the original poster sounds like they're looking for something way more mellow.  Peter Brötzmann's 'Machine Gun' (on FMP, 1968) is just brutal... distorted squalling wall of saxophone and drum fury.  No form of rock from the time approaches its onslaught.  Of course, I think it's unlistenable. :)

bitches

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2006, 00:46 »

Radiohead?  John Cage?  Ben Folds?

"LISTEN TO BOB DYLAN FOR SOME GOOD RAP HURR DURR"

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2006, 08:32 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

Try Chick Corea's Spain and Return to Forever albums. Might not be what your looking for (mainly Latin Jazz). I cant think of any albums that are as awsome as Sol Invictus' Hill Of Crosses though.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

thedevilissix

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2006, 09:28 »

Banana_Hammock, if you're looking to listen to any more Miles Davis, then seriously, you cannot go wrong with "Bitches Brew".  It is otherworldly.  It consists of two 10-20 min tracks, but this is 10-20 minutes where you're consistently kept interested.  This is coming from someone who, aside from Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Lift Yr. Skinny Fists, Sonna and some classical pieces, hates long songs that outstay their welcome. :)

Along the vocal side of things, joint number one choice for me would be Nina Simone (vocal, lyrical and pianistic genius) and Ella Fitzgerald (the reason why the word 'scat' should never have been blackened with foul connotations of strange lifestyle choice).   I never really got into Billie Holliday's music, but it's still worth a try.

Aneurhythmia

• Obscure cultural reference
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2006, 13:56 »

Quote from: thedevilissix
Banana_Hammock, if you're looking to listen to any more Miles Davis, then seriously, you cannot go wrong with "Bitches Brew".  It is otherworldly.  It consists of two 10-20 min tracks, but this is 10-20 minutes where you're consistently kept interested.  This is coming from someone who, aside from Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Lift Yr. Skinny Fists, Sonna and some classical pieces, hates long songs that outstay their welcome. :)

Two tracks?  Pharaoh's Dance and Bitches Brew are just the first disc.  The second disc has 4 or 5 more songs.  There's also some equally awesome pieces on Live Evil, especially on the live session half.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2006, 14:55 »

You have to understand the Bitch's Brew was Miles expirimenting with Jazz Rock. Back then nobody did it, and Miles was really the first to realise that he could use Rock's rythem section and electric instruments in his Jazz. When the album first came out many Jazz artists called Miles a sellout and said the album was'nt Jazz. They were'nt so far off, it is'nt pure Jazz.
Its a great album, yeah, but it's not what that guy is looking for.
Plus, if he does, I'd highly recommend going over Miles' albums before that one, just to see where he came from.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

jose

Re: Jazz - Help?
« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2006, 15:39 »

Quote from: Banana_Hammock

I have a rather diverse music taste, stretching from Johnny Cash to Velvet Underground to the Clash to Neutral Milk Hotel and beyond

can you really say this with a straight face?

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is probably my favorite jazz album.

You should probably start with Miles Davis' - Kind of Blue like the other people were saying though

mechaThor

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2006, 17:07 »

When It comes to big-bands I always put my money on Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band (very very tight and talented band) and Mingus Big Band. Glenn Miller is more of the classical big-band tone however. Cannonball Adderly is also a very good saxophone soloist, probably one of my favorites. Very good tone and such, one of my favorites is 'Work Song- Live in Belgium on Aug. 5th, 1962.' Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is also very good, in addition to Buddy Rich Big Band (Channel One Suite: very good song), Tom Scott & L.A. Express. Jaco Pastorius is also very classic as well, in addition to Weather Report and that whole deal. Thats just my two cents :p

Shaft

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Bass Cleft
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2006, 17:34 »

Yes. Don't listen to Radiohead if you want jazz.

Modern jazz can be good too - Skalpel are okay, cinematic orchestra's first album is okay, I agree with Chick corea and the bad plus. Oh and Ella Fitzgerald!
Quote from: tommydski
i realise that i am slightly buzzed on coffee in the toliets of a boeing 737 rubbing a wet rock on myself. if you've ever had a similar moment of clarity i think you may be able to relate to the feeling.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2006, 17:42 »

"The National Anthem" struck me more as a funky sort of song, rather than jazzy.

Anyways. Ella Fitzgerald. Billie Holliday. Louis Armstrong. I second or third or whatever all of those.

Oscar Peterson is pretty good too.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Der Golem

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.ihavenowebsite.com
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2006, 18:10 »

The Bad Plus is pretty much my favorate jazz group these days, you shpuld all go listen to their album These Are The Vistas. Amazing stuff.

Inlander

• coprophage
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #28 on: 24 May 2006, 19:26 »

Okay, I'm sufficiently bored to have another crack at this.

Early Jazz:

- Louis Armstrong (should go without saying): get a collection of the Hot Fives/Hot Sevens recordings.  Columbia has done some amazing reissues of them - if you don't want to shell out for the whole lot, just buy volume 3.  Also, Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy is one of the essential jazz albums.

- Bix Beiderbecke: get the (old) Columbia compilation Singin' the Blues.  That'll do you good.

- Sidney Bechet: Runnin' Wild is a great album.  Get it.

Swing:

I've already done Big Band, so here's some small group stuff well worth getting:

- Lester Young: the "Kansas City" Sessions.  If you can find a C.D. of this that just has the master takes, that's the one you should probably get.  If you like somewhat mellow, but still hard swinging music this will be right down your alley.  Also, try to find (under Count Basie's name) a compilation with the following four tracks on it: "Shoe Shine Boy", "Evenin'", "Boogie Woogie (I May Be Wrong)" and "Lady Be Good".  Lester Young is incredible on these recordings.  Other great albums featuring Young: Lester Young With The Oscar Peterson Trio, Pres and Teddy (featuring some gorgeous piano playing from Teddy Wilson).

- Ben Webster: most of his best stuff was done in the '50s.  Get Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson, it's one of the best jazz albums ever.  Also consider Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster.  Which brings me to . . .

- Coleman Hawkins: the first great tenor saxophone player in jazz.  There are masses of compilations called Body and Soul - the one put out by R.C.A. Victor is great, and features the title tune which is one of the greatest single recordings in jazz history.  Also worth getting is the Hawk Flies High.

- Benny Goodman: if you can find a good-priced compilation of his trio/quartet recordings with Teddy Wilson, Gene Krupa, and Lionel Hampton, buy it.

- Ella Fitzgerald: both the Cole Porter Songbook and the huge George and Ira Gershwin Songbook are well worth your time and money.  For something a little less formal, try the Duke Ellington Songbook.

- Billie Holiday: get any decent-sized compilation of her early (1930s-1940s) Columbia recordings you can get.  Columbia itself did an absolutely stunning job of remastering these a few years ago.  These are some of the greatest and most enjoyable recordings in jazz history.

Be-Bop:

- Charlie Parker: should go without saying.  Get a compilation of the Dial master takes.  Should be pretty easy to find a cheap version.  Parker's quintet at this time featured a very young Miles Davis.  Also, a couple of live recordings well worth picking up: the Quintet: Jazz at Massey Hall and Town Hall, New York City, June 22 1945, both with Dizzy Gillespie.  Speaking of whom . . .

- Dizzy Gillespie: get a compilation of the R.C.A. Victor big band recordings.  These are incredible, especially "Manteca"

- Charles Mingus: I'm putting him here to make things easier, because Mingus is pretty much uncategorisable.  If you buy no other jazz album, then buy Mingus Ah Um.  It's that good.  Also brilliant is Let My Children Hear Music.  There are so many good albums by Mingus that it's almost impossible to write a shortlist - try also Blues & Roots, Mingus At Antibes, the Clown, Pithecantrhopus Erectus, and the aforementioned the Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.

- Sarah Vaughan: her self-titled album (also sometimes known as Sarah Vaughan With Clifford Brown is terrific.

- Betty Carter: try to find [the Audience With Betty Carter[/i].

- Thelonius Monk: get a live recording by his famous quartet featuring Charlie Rouse.  Live at the It Club - Complete is a good one.  Also, as far as studio albums go, buy Monk's Music.

Cool:

One of the more stupid labels in jazz, but we'll let that slide for now.

- Gerry Mulligan: get a compilation of the original recordings with the Quartet, featuring Chet Baker.  Also well worth getting is the C.D. of Lee Konitz playing with this group.

- Stan Getz: the Steamer, West Coast Jazz and Stan Getz-Bob Brookmeyer Recorded Fall 1961 are all great albums.

- Miles Davis: like Mingus, uncategorisable.  But a lot of people like to put him under "cool jazz" so who am I to argue?  My personal favourite jazz album of all time is the (original) Miles Davis Quintet's 'Round About Midnight.  This particular group put out a whole string of great albums in the 1950s - Relaxin' and Cookin' are the other two best in my opinion.  Also, check out Birth of the Cool.

Hard Bop:

- Clifford Brown/Max Roach: the Clifford Brown-Max Roach Quintet was one of the great bands in jazz.  Get their self-titled album.  A Study in Brown, despite the title, is also worth getting.

- Art Blakey: Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Thelonius Monk is a great album.

- Lee Morgan: the Sidewinder.

- Kenny Dorham: Una Mas.  Also, the Complete 'Round About Midnight at the Cafe Bohemia.

. . . And that's about where I get off.  Have fun!  If I think of any more I consider essential I'll post 'em.

bitches

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #29 on: 25 May 2006, 00:32 »

For post-1960 stuff, from where you are, start with:
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Ornette Coleman - Shape of Jazz to Come
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages

Then move onto:
John Coltrane - Ascension
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity
Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz

I guess this is all 60s stuff except Ask the Ages, but that doesn't exactly sound like it came out of the 90s.

ASturge

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #30 on: 25 May 2006, 00:45 »

Tokyo Jihen - Adult

It's Japanese Jazz Pop Fusion of DEATH.

Awesome too.

quietnow

• Furry furrier
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #31 on: 25 May 2006, 00:48 »

buddy rich!!!!
Quote from: Sam
Anyone who doesn't have a crush on Kari is doing it wrong.

thedevilissix

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #32 on: 26 May 2006, 03:00 »

Quote from: Misereatur
You have to understand the Bitch's Brew was Miles expirimenting with Jazz Rock. Back then nobody did it, and Miles was really the first to realise that he could use Rock's rythem section and electric instruments in his Jazz. When the album first came out many Jazz artists called Miles a sellout and said the album was'nt Jazz. They were'nt so far off, it is'nt pure Jazz.
Its a great album, yeah, but it's not what that guy is looking for.
Plus, if he does, I'd highly recommend going over Miles' albums before that one, just to see where he came from.

As much as I'd like to go on a "PURE-BREED GENRES?! PAH!!" tirade, you're on point.  
I guess if you're looking to get into jazz from the perspective of someone already familiar with rock music, listening to Bitches' may be an effective way to do it.  

Mind you, I once listened to it followed by Birth of The Cool and my mind unwittingly tried to set up comparison between the two - even though you can't, because they're really two completely different things.  So with that in mind, it might be a better idea to listen to something like Round About Midnight.

And yup, Bitches' is on two CDs.  I meant to say that the second one was bonus material and that the two tracks were on the original cut, but my brain's been cook'd the past couple of days from writing about Mozart operas >_< Sorry guys.

Banana_Hammock

« Reply #33 on: 26 May 2006, 04:15 »

Quote from: jose

I have a rather diverse music taste, stretching from Johnny Cash to Velvet Underground to the Clash to Neutral Milk Hotel and beyond

Why?

Thanks for all the suggestions, it will take some time to work through it all. I am loving Miles Davies at the moment though, and most of everything else you have suggested that I have had a chance to sample... Except maybe the vocal stuff (with the exeption of Nina Simone), I seem to prefer instrumental jazz....

A big thanks to Inlander, your posts really helped. Thanks especially for suggesting albums, it helps to have a place to start....

jose

« Reply #34 on: 26 May 2006, 10:06 »

Why?

It's just I think you should be more self-critical about the supposed "diversity" of your music tastes if you think those artists are indicative of it.

also to add to recs.  Free Jazz classics (some already mentioned)
Albert Ayler - Live in Greenwich Village (complete impluse sessions)
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
Peter Brotzman - Nipples, Machine Gun
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come, Free Jazz

Some of these (especially the Brotzman albums) aren't exactly accessable, but they can represent some of the best of jazz (that ayler set is so incredibly awesome).  Maybe try The Shape of Jazz to Come first, its probably the most accessable followed by Out to Lunch

coloratura_siren

from the iPod of a bandnerd
« Reply #35 on: 26 May 2006, 10:44 »

Miles Davis - Miles Smiles
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
John Coltrane - Blue Train
John Coltrane - Crescent
Count Basie - Basie Big Band
Curtis Fuller - Keep It Simple
Eric Alexander - Nightlife in Tokyo
Frank Rosolino - Fond Memories of
Max Roach - Parisian Sketches
Herbie Hancock - Empyrian Isles
Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Ugetsu
Michel Camilo - Michel Camilo
Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Return to Forever - Return to the 7th Galaxy
Robin Eubanks and Mental Images - Get 2 It
Royal Crown Revue - The Contender
Stanley Clarke - School Days
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
Weather Report - 8:30
Weather Report - Heavy Weather
Béla Fleck and the Flecktones - Left of Cool
Béla Fleck and the Flecktones - Outbound
Béla Fleck and the Flecktones - Live at the Quick
Béla Fleck and the Flecktones - Live Art
Bob Mintzer Big Band - Live at the MCG
The Brecker Brothers - The Brecker Brothers Collection Vol 1
The Brecker Brothers - The Brecker Brothers Collection Vol 2
Carl Fontana - The Great Fontana
Dave Holland Quintet - Prime Directive
Dave Holland Quintet - Extended Play: Live at Birdland
Dave Weckl Band - Synergy
JJ Johnson and Kai Winding - The Great Kai and JJ
Kenny Garrett - Persuance:  The Music of John Coltrane
Medeski, Martin, and Wood - Uninvisible
Medeski, Martin, and Wood - Combustication
Marcus Miller - Silver Rain
Marcus Miller - The Sun Don't Shine
Michael Manring - The Book of Flame
Vital Tech Tones - Vital Tech Tones
Tribal Tech - Primal Tracks
Metalwood - 1
Metalwood - 2
Metalwood - 3
Metalwood - The Recline
Metalwood - Chronic
Victor Wooten - A Show of Hands
Victor Wooten - Yin Yang

That should get you started.  An even 50.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #36 on: 26 May 2006, 18:04 »

A short list

Trumpet:
- Miles Davis
- Louis Armstrong
- Wynton Marsallis
- Al Hirt
- Maynard Ferguson

Sax:
- Branford Marsallis (Wynton's Brother)
- John Coltrane

Singers:
- Ella Fitzgerald
- Louis Armstrong (Minus What a Wonderful World)
- Billie Holiday
- Nat King Cole
- Frank Sinatra

Bands/Writers:
- Duke Ellington & His Band
- Herb Albpert and the Tiajuana Brass

Those are some of my favorites and some of the most prolific of the jazz musicians.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

brew

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Jazz - Help?
« Reply #37 on: 26 May 2006, 22:45 »

Quote from: thedevilissix
And yup, Bitches' is on two CDs.  I meant to say that the second one was bonus material and that the two tracks were on the original cut

The second one isn't only bonus material though... most of the stuff on that disc is part of the original album.

For more stuff on the less accessible side, I also like:
- John Coltrane - Olatunji Concert: The Last Live Recording
- Sonny Sharrock - Black Woman
- Derek Bailey - Ballads

I've also found some Evan Parker stuff interesting too but haven't actually listened to it all that much yet.  Same with the ICP... I think I've just heard that Sonic Youth collab on record, but they were great live.  It would be cool if anyone can recommend more stuff on this side of things.

For the original poster though, I think '50s Miles, Coltrane from '65 and earlier, Monk, Mingus and Charlie Parker are the first places to look.

Mockery

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #38 on: 27 May 2006, 11:59 »

Surely at least Inlander must have heard of James Morrison...

One of Australia's finest Jazz musicians, mostly plays trumpet, but also moves to trombone and other instruments.

There's quite a bit of free music available on his website, check out the multimedia page. I recommend 'Le Belleclaire Blues'. I love it because I know the piece inside out, having performed it back in high school. Another cool thing about this track is that James Morrison plays ALL the trumpet, trombone & saxophone parts and they're dubbed together. And it comes out AWESOME.

Also check out 'Scream Machine', 'The Spot', and definitely 'What a Wonderful World'. (I mean hey, download them all, it's there & it's free, but those ones I recommend most)

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #39 on: 27 May 2006, 15:43 »

also to add to recs.  Free Jazz classics (some already mentioned)
Albert Ayler - Live in Greenwich Village (complete impluse sessions)
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
Peter Brotzman - Nipples, Machine Gun
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come, Free Jazz

Some of these (especially the Brotzman albums) aren't exactly accessable, but they can represent some of the best of jazz (that ayler set is so incredibly awesome).  Maybe try The Shape of Jazz to Come first, its probably the most accessable followed by Out to Lunch

QFT

Also, Free Jazz is one of the most amazing albums I own. The kind of album that every time you listen to it you'll find somthing new.
Warning to those who dont know Free Jazz and plan to listen to the album: 47 minutes of collective improvs from a double quartet. It will sound like mindless cacaphony at first. So start with The Shape Of Jazz To Come and work your way to it.
When I first listened to it I turned it off after 30 seconds. Now I love every second of it.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

bassbone

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #40 on: 31 May 2006, 00:16 »

Check out some Wycliffe Gordon for some amazingly soulful trombone playing. One of his albums is a pure gospel album, but it's heart and soul is jazz. ONe of the best records in my collection. Also, anything with "Jay and Kai" is a good bet. JJ Johnsen and Kai Winding are two of the greatest trombone players of all time. I know, I know, it seems like I'm focusing on trombone too much, but imo it gets short shrift in the music world. A wholly underappreciated instrument.

I second a lot of what's said further up. John Coltrane's Blue Train is always a good bed. So is the Count Basie Orchestra, one of the most swingin' bands of all time. If you can check out Duke Ellington Meets Count Basie which has both bands playing together some incredible charts. One of the best ways to get into Jazz is to go to local shows and talk to the musicians. They'll be able to help.

Fortnight

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #41 on: 31 May 2006, 04:17 »

Raymond Scott!! EEEEEEEEEE

penpen17

Jazz - Help?
« Reply #42 on: 31 May 2006, 05:58 »

ELLA FITZGERALD

Also, some of Regina Spektor's stuff is very jazz-influenced (especially 11:11)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
All Inclusive "Recommend Me For Music" Thread
« Reply #43 on: 04 Oct 2006, 19:53 »

I really like that new Nachtmystium album, but I know precious little about the genre as a whole. TELL ME ABOUT SOME OTHER BANDS YOU THINK I MIGHT ENJOY.

Bonus points if the recording quality isn't complete trash, but I realize that may be asking a bit much since I guess that is part of the black metal "sound"?
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: All Inclusive "Recommend Me For Music" Thread
« Reply #44 on: 04 Oct 2006, 20:00 »

Yeah, shitty sound quality is more or less 'the deal' with black metal.

While they're not techinically 'pure' black metal, Absu is amazing.

EDIT: Khar and Troll probably have the final word on this, but I'd also suggest Satyricon, Xasthur, and Ulver. Maybe Immortal too.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2006, 20:13 by Storm Rider »
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Scytale

« Reply #45 on: 04 Oct 2006, 23:41 »

Heres a pretty varried selection that will help get you started, most of these have the more traditional production, trust me after a week you be used to the sound.

Ulver - "Bergtatt" (first folk bm album, theres a flute passage that is astounding and Garm's voice is amazing, one of the best singers I've heard in any genre)
Nokturnal Mortum - "Ne-Christ and "Lunar Poetery" (Ukrainian folk BM band, really good keyboards)
Judas Iscariot - "Of Great Eternity"  "Distant in Solitary Night" and "Heaven in Flames" (Only American band in my list)
Burzum - "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" and "Filosofem" (All Burzum is pretty much essential, Vargs, not the most technically competent musician, but he is one of the greatset composers ever)
Immortal - "Pure Holocaust" (Fast BM, blastbeats and all done right)
Gehenna -"Seen through veils of Darkness (The Second Spell)" (getting into the melodic BM now)
Old Man's Child - "Born of the Flickering" (Amazing album)
Darkthrone - "Under a Funeral Moon" (The production is absolutely horrible but you won't notice it)
Beherit - "Drawing Down the Moon" (This is what started the 'suicidal bm' subgenre, very good)
Emperor - "In The Nightside Eclipse" (really good, Ihsahn is another amazing composer)
The Covenant - "Nexus Polaris" (Don't get the remixed version, its rubbish, spacey melo dm)
Summoning - "Dol Guldur" (BM with heavy ambient leanings, influenced by tolkein, highly reccomended).
Bathory - "The Return" (One of the albums that started the genre, production is atrocious, in a good way.)

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #46 on: 05 Oct 2006, 03:33 »

Seeing that the only black metal I have is INM and three Gorgoroth songs from when Pest did vocals, I am probably not of any help. I do know however that Mayhem has their entire "Pure Fucking Armegeddon" demo on their website somewhere. You might want to give that a go.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #47 on: 05 Oct 2006, 04:00 »

I find it immensely funny that every recommendations thread invariably has someone saying:'Wait until Khar gets on, he can help you out.'

That being said: I'd recommend Negura Bunget. Romanian BM. Yummie. And they have the best site anywhere: http://www.negurabunget.com/.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #48 on: 05 Oct 2006, 04:13 »

When it comes to reccomending sub-genres of metal Khar really is THE man. I do like metal but not so much stuff like black metal.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #49 on: 05 Oct 2006, 04:53 »

I'd go with Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord (especially The Work Which Transforms God) and Dodheimsgard's 666 International for some decent BM. Dodheimsgard are pretty avant-grade and it take a few listens to get into.

Also, obviously, Absu for some kick ass folk black from Texas.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up