THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 21:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WE'RE HERE FOR YOU  (Read 10237 times)

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
WE'RE HERE FOR YOU
« on: 09 Nov 2006, 14:46 »

This is a support group for those of us who can provide or need help in a musical intervention!

Listen to crappy music?
Listen to one band all the time?

THAT'S WHAT WE'RE HERE FOR!
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: WE'RE HERE FOR YOU
« Reply #1 on: 09 Nov 2006, 14:57 »

I like Poison.  Is something wrong with me? ;)

I grew up in the midwest in the prehistoric days before Myspace and Napster, so I grew up on country and classic rock.  I'm interested in expanding my musical tastes if anyone has reccomendations.

I'll give anything a listen, and dont really have a preferred genre, so I really have no idea of where to start.

The only real advice I can offer is that I'm not a fan of Animal Collective or The Fiery Furnaces.  It's not really bad, its just too chaotic for me.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #2 on: 09 Nov 2006, 15:47 »

I can't stop listening to The Hold Steady

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #3 on: 09 Nov 2006, 21:36 »

I grew up in the midwest in the prehistoric days before Myspace and Napster, so I grew up on country and classic rock.  I'm interested in expanding my musical tastes if anyone has reccomendations.

Check out Wilco.  Get Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.  Trust me.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2006, 00:46 by !!!CPAOI!!! »

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2006, 00:27 »

I can't stop listening to Mclusky.

I don't think this is necessarily bad, though.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2006, 00:45 »

I grew up in the midwest in the prehistoric days before Myspace and Napster, so I grew up on country and classic rock.? I'm interested in expanding my musical tastes if anyone has reccomendations.

Check out Wilco.? Get Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.? Trust me.

What an outlandish, unusual choice. Particularly for this board.

Seriously, I love that album.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2006, 01:36 »

I like Poison.  Is something wrong with me? ;)

Nope.

You might want to more superior hard rock and heavy metal acts of the 70's and 80's and their spiritual successors, bands like Saxon, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Cathedral, Viking Skull, Dream Evil, Deep Purple, Angel Witch, Twisted Sister, Rainbow, Venom, Judas Priest, Dio, Tygers of Pan Tang, Grim Reaper, Warlock, Motorhead, M.S.G., Iced Earth, Queensr?che, Dokken, 3 Inches of Blood, Diamond Head, Manowar, Helloween, Demons and Wizards, Gamma Ray, Jag Panzer, Rhapsody Of Fire, Girlschool, DragonForce, Mercyful Fate, Samson, Vardis, Hawkwind, Grave Digger, Blitzkrieg etc.

To accompany this I'd also recommend growing your hair long, purchasing combat boots and a long sleeve t-shirt, drinking Jack Daniels and smoking marlboro reds.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2006, 01:55 »

Marlboro is for wimps.

This thread is a good idea, though.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2006, 02:39 »

I am personally sick of being a Cake fan. It's so sad to be hooked on a band that never evolved, started sucking, got ridiculously preachy, and basically stopped touring. Every time a track comes up on shuffle off of Pressure Chief, I kind of feel like crying a little.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2006, 02:41 »

also, jack daniels is inferior to almost all kentucky bourbon.

Which is inferior to all Scotch Whiskey.

I'm talking about image here, people! The man has to start liking decent music before he is capable of making decisions on his own. Imagine if he were to turn up to a Viking Skull concert smoking Parliaments and drinking a bottle of Malibu? He'd probably be killed!
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2006, 03:13 by KharBevNor »
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2006, 04:48 »

I'm addicted to Clann Zu.  They never really put together any sort of tangible fanbase, and they only released two full-lenght albums before splitting up, and they're not coming back.  Yet still, I picture them playing a show for me in my fantasies.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2006, 05:50 »

I like Poison.? Is something wrong with me? ;)

Nope.

You might want to more superior hard rock and heavy metal acts of the 70's and 80's and their spiritual successors, bands like Saxon, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Cathedral, Viking Skull, Dream Evil, Deep Purple, Angel Witch, Twisted Sister, Rainbow, Venom, Judas Priest, Dio, Tygers of Pan Tang, Grim Reaper, Warlock, Motorhead, M.S.G., Iced Earth, Queensr?che, Dokken, 3 Inches of Blood, Diamond Head, Manowar, Helloween, Demons and Wizards, Gamma Ray, Jag Panzer, Rhapsody Of Fire, Girlschool, DragonForce, Mercyful Fate, Samson, Vardis, Hawkwind, Grave Digger, Blitzkrieg etc.

To accompany this I'd also recommend growing your hair long, purchasing combat boots and a long sleeve t-shirt, drinking Jack Daniels and smoking marlboro reds.

Replace the long sleeve t-shirt with a band shirt (Iron Maiden is a good choice) with the sleeves cut off, add a beard , full or with no moustache, and the occasional dirty old bandana.
Hate, rain on me

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2006, 06:11 »

their first album was okay.

if it helps you, no-one will remember who they are in five years.
least of all you.

Thats... probably not true.
Especially if I get my feature film based on their albums made.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2006, 06:17 »

i listen to emo music

i think there might be somethign wrong with me as well
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2006, 06:21 »

Hey, so do I.  I'm trying to think of what music I listen to to post here in order to "redeem" myself but I'm not sure what works for emo.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2006, 06:32 »

also, jack daniels is inferior to almost all kentucky bourbon.

That might be true, but sometimes you just gotta have Jack mate, love the stuff.

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2006, 13:19 »

JD isn't that bad, but there are better options. ?I usually drink Knob Creek or Glenfiddich 18yr if I'm drinking whiskey, which is rarely. ?I usually stick with Don Julio Tequila Reposado or White Russians. ?Unfortunately, I live about a half hour from the JD distillery, so almost everyone I know drinks it out of some warped sense of southern pride.

A friend of mine moved back to the states from the Shetland Isles a few years ago, and she brought a bottle of Glenfiddich 30 year special reserve. ?I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

I smoke Lucky Strikes, so I guess I'm okay there.

KharBevNor: Sabbath, Motorhead, and Queensryche are all in heavy rotation, and are all excellent bands. ?I just recently discovered the awesomosity that is Dragonforce, and I'm completely hooked on it. ?Sonic Firestorm is probably their best album, with Inhuman Rampage being a close second. ?I wasn't all that impressed with Valley of the Damned, but its still listenable. ?Mercyful Fate is also good, although I haven't heard much of them. ?I'll try and check out the rest of the bands you've mentioned, as I like a lot of the little metal I have heard, and the Power Metal Genre seems like it could wind up owning my life.

I couldn't find Yankee Foxtrot Hotel at the record shop today, but I did pick up A Ghost Is Born. ?I gave it a quick listen through, so I dont really have an opinion about it other than that ?will listen to it more indepth later to really see what its all about.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2006, 13:37 »

A friend of mine moved back to the states from the Shetland Isles a few years ago, and she brought a bottle of Glenfiddich 30 year special reserve. ?I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Christ on a bicycle that stuff is nice. I drank a bottle on a beach with a few mates once, and it basically summoned up leather armchairs and fine cigars out of thin fucking air.

Oh man, I don't get on with Luckies. I only ever buy them if I'm trying to cut down, because I can literally only smoke them voluntarily like twice a day.

If you like those bands, you will probably like pretty much all the bands I mentioned (there's a few more chancy ones in there), though some of them might, admittedly, be rather hard to locate.

Getting more Mercyful Fate would be a good start. 'Melissa' and 'Don't Break the Oath' are obligatory, as are a good few of King Diamond's solo albums, though 'Abigail' will do to begin with.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #18 on: 10 Nov 2006, 14:38 »

there has never been a person that tried bourbon and then went back to JD.
my collected thoughts on the subject here.

i listen to emo music

this article i wrote on the subject might interest you then.

well then let me rephrase what i said

i sometimes listen to comercially orientated pop punk designed to exploit the teenage angst sometimes called emo by people who have not read your article

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #19 on: 10 Nov 2006, 14:49 »

Getting more Mercyful Fate would be a good start. 'Melissa' and 'Don't Break the Oath' are obligatory, as are a good few of King Diamond's solo albums, though 'Abigail' will do to begin with.

I'll see about the Mercyful Fate & King Diamond next time I'm near a record shop.? My town doesn't even have a record shop, let alone one with a good selection, so it might be a while.

Also, what's with all the ?s that keep popping up in my messages?
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2006, 15:51 by thegreatbuddha »

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #20 on: 10 Nov 2006, 15:51 »

The Russians?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #21 on: 10 Nov 2006, 16:01 »

c:/audiio/soundFX/rimshot.mp3
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #22 on: 10 Nov 2006, 16:54 »

Power Metal Genre seems like it could wind up owning my life.
oh dear...i have issues with overly agressive power fan's...maybe it's just manowar though

personally i think you should get memory garden

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #23 on: 10 Nov 2006, 17:02 »

I'll look for it next time I'm at the record store.

What's it like?

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #24 on: 10 Nov 2006, 17:07 »

You should really try Bowmore. I will state that any Bowmore will give any Glenfiddich a run for its money.

Besides ... there's a Bowmore 'Dusk'. And there has never been a better reason to do random version of a CoF song.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #25 on: 10 Nov 2006, 22:57 »

i listen to emo music

this article i wrote on the subject might interest you then.

Tommy, I made this image just for you, and was waiting for the right opportunity to unveil it.

[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Coonstar

« Reply #26 on: 11 Nov 2006, 00:51 »

Hahaha yes, I am so guilty of listening to one band all the time. It changes on a monthly basis, but it still irritates the hell out of my friends. Nobody even asks me what I'm listening to anymore because it's bound to be the same thing from several months ago.

I don't know why it takes me so long to process albums in my brainz, but it does, and it takes weeks of continous listening for me to milk the hell out of it.

Okay during August, September, and October I pretty much just listened to either Siouxsie & the Banshees or Stereolab. For Siouxsie, specifically: Hyaena, Kaleidoscope, Nocturne, and a best of CD. For Stereolab: Mars Audiac Quintet, Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements, Margerine Eclipse, and Emperor Tomato Ketchup.

Since the end of October until now I've been listening to Bauhaus on repeat. And I'm still stuck on the Crackle greatest hits, and In the Flat Field.

Somebody intervene please and make me receptive to other than one band at a time.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #27 on: 11 Nov 2006, 01:16 »

That's..is that Hawthorne Heights?

Hi. My name is Shane. I like Thursday.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #28 on: 11 Nov 2006, 01:46 »

The. Band. Called. "Thursday".
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #29 on: 11 Nov 2006, 04:37 »

The. Band. Called. "Thursday".

i saw them live

they sucked

big time

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #30 on: 11 Nov 2006, 04:45 »

i never could get the hang of thursdays.

Kudos to that man, although he may well have already boarded the Heart of Gold at this point.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #31 on: 11 Nov 2006, 05:10 »

what day of the week did you see them on though?

well i saw them on a friday...but taking back sunday was at the same concert so they kindof had to even out the day's to apease both bands

i'm entirerly convinced from that performance that the lead seinger of taking back sunday is gae

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #32 on: 11 Nov 2006, 05:39 »

Hahaha yes, I am so guilty of listening to one band all the time. It changes on a monthly basis, but it still irritates the hell out of my friends. Nobody even asks me what I'm listening to anymore because it's bound to be the same thing from several months ago.

God I am so fucking guilty of this. I spent Rocktober just listening to the Machiavelli and The Four Seasons album OVER AND OVER AGAIN and it drove my housemates mad. Movember has pretty much been New Pornographers month. It is kind of horrible, but at the same time completely fucking awesome.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #33 on: 11 Nov 2006, 05:40 »

comercially orientated pop punk designed to exploit the teenage angst

DE-POP
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2006, 05:42 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls