THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: John Lennon solo career.  (Read 4364 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
John Lennon solo career.
« on: 07 Nov 2006, 20:42 »

Note: This post has nothing to do with albums produced by The Beatles as a group.

Now, a lot of John Lennon solo material is critically lauded, like Plastic Ono Band and Imagine.

I own 'Lennon Legend,' described as being his 20 best tracks without a duff one in there.
Several things struck me:
 - Half of the songs, I think, I soporific dreck.
 - Lennon's insistence on a constant delay on his voice in almost every song is irritating in the extreme. He has maybe one clean vocal on the entire collection. This annoys me.
 - 'Cold Turkey' goes on for way too long. Now, I'm an advocate of lengthy music, I just think that the closing minute or so don't really go anywhere. I also think the production on this track is shit. The guitars are rocking like motherfuckers, but the drums are being played like it's 'Imagine.'
 - I hate 'Imagine.'
 - However, I also think there are quite a few great songs on here. 'Mother' has taken a while to sink into me, probably because it's so heart-wrenching. But now that I think about it, it's beautiful. The closing 'Mama don't go/Daddy come home bit' gets to me a lot. 'Instant Karma!' is a brilliant anthem, 'STand By Me' is a great cover and vocal, 'Give Peace A Chance' is great, 'Mind Games' is good...but it seems like the bad outweighs the good a lot.

So what's everyone else's opinion on Lennon's solo stuff?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Re: John Lennon solo career.
« Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2006, 20:47 »

I hate 'Imagine.'

Me too.

I only heard Lennon's Plastic Ono Band record and liked it.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2006, 23:47 »

Actually DynamiteKid, your opinion mimics mine quite a bit, although I haven't heard anything apart from Lennon Legend either, so I could probably stand to get a bit more information. I don't hate his solo stuff, I just think its a bit mediocre, although to be fair, I am comparing him to Paul McCartneys solo work when I say that and I have heard nearly every album Paul ever made, and there are a few shit ones, so I guess it might not seem as band when viewed as a whole discography. I mean, critics fawn and wank over the weirdest songs sometimes.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 08 Nov 2006, 00:08 »

The thing is, Lennon is way more lauded - as far as I can tell - because he's dead. He died in 1980, just as they were starting a follow up to 'Double Fantasy' and they were going to tour it. And now he's critically lauded. However, in a recent Q magazine, they had a page with his whole discography, and he only had about four albums worth listening to, one of which was Lennon Legend. Why is he so lauded when he has made so few great albums outside of the Beatles? As far as I can tell, because he's dead.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2006, 02:09 »

I think Lennon had a good album (Plastic Ono Band) and a handful of great singles but overall, his solo career is quite bad.
Actually, i think the best exbeatle solo career was probably Ringo.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #5 on: 08 Nov 2006, 04:56 »

i think both all things must pass and plastic ono band are far better than anything ringo did. But overall i think he comes out on top. He did a handful of slightly above average albums while Lennon and Harrison though had each a good album (although in harrison's case, i think it is overlong and meandering) and the rest of their careers is pretty crap.

Of course, we know paul never had a solo career

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #6 on: 08 Nov 2006, 05:17 »

Have you guys listened to the Imagine album? Its full of great rockers... 'How Do You Sleep?' is one of the meanest song i have, though i'm sure there are zillions of hip-hop tracks that beat it. Its best if you realize that 'The only good thing you've done is Yesterday/and since thats done you're just another day' was originally 'and you probably pinched that bitch anyway', but they made him change it

Instant Karma, Oh Yoko, I Don't Want To Be A Soldier and a few others... classic

Harrison's album does go on a bit too long, and as for Paul... 'Those freaks were right when they said you was dead'

and he was writing before 'Freedom'

Brian Majestic

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #7 on: 08 Nov 2006, 07:41 »

Clearly the best thing Ringo did:

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #9 on: 08 Nov 2006, 08:44 »

that reminds me of a joke i was told by a liverpudlian once.

The worst thing about the beatles is that they are dying off in the wrong order.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #10 on: 08 Nov 2006, 10:13 »

I never told that as a joke.
Then again the Dante retelling i had to write when i was 15 had Paul in Hell, as his soul had been stolen by 'the pasty faced demon' (this was after he wrote 'Freedom') and Lennon's killer tortured at the centre of Hell....

i was a weird kid

Scytale

« Reply #11 on: 08 Nov 2006, 11:00 »

I saw a documentary on the making of Imagine, earlier this year. Thats the only major exposure I've had to he's solo stuff, made me really interested to pick up more, I really liked what I heard.

I thought the process he used to write the album was really interesting. John would bash something out on the piano and Yoko would go, "play it in this key" and bam all of a sudden it sounds about 10* better.Same thing with the guitars.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #12 on: 08 Nov 2006, 20:46 »

I have to say that, in fact - outside of the horrible vocal delay thing I've mentioned - I really admire the recording techniques used on Ono Band and Imagine. Much like with Bob Dylan, I admire the 'fuck it, let's do it live and tweak the shit moments' technique, although Dylan often didn't even bother with the latter part.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2006, 17:21 »

Clearly the best thing Ringo did:

I agree so strongly it's frightening.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up