THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 13:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: bad music confessional  (Read 55235 times)

livingthelie

bad music confessional
« on: 14 Nov 2006, 12:38 »

we all have it.  that one cd we have hidden under our mattress...the one we only bring out when NOONE is around, and it's dancing in our underwear time....

confession cleanses the souls, brothers and sisters.   CONFESS, so that your mind may be free.

i'll begin.

i...i like the killers.  i know.  i know.  i can't help it.  i try not to.  really, i do.  but their poppy beats, and completely obvious depeche mode ripoffs are just too much for me.  i listen to them, and i smile...oh god...i'm sick...

your turn

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
Re: bad music confessional
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2006, 13:23 »

wow...only one bad cd...your doing better than me i have about 30

the worst of the bunch

Turbo, jugulator, demolition - judas priest -i got a box set
St. Anger - Metallica - i don't know what they were thinking here, not only did they manage to alienate every old listener of the band but also and new people who hadn't heard them before
once more with feeling bonus disc placebo - the bonis disc is nothing but dance remixes...it's horrirfic
slipknot - slipknot - i made the mistake of telling someone i listened to metal and they got me this for my birthday, meanwhile i really hate throwing away presents so i havn't goten rid of this
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

livingthelie

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2006, 13:36 »

oof. slipknot.  that's bad alright.  although, at least it's not limp bizkit.  take solace in that.

also, that's not my only bad cd.  i also (god help me) against, by sepultura.  that, and the fact that i have, and can sing along to every song on, deja entandu by brand new pretty much guarantees me a seat on the train bound for hell.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2006, 13:37 »

I have nothing to confess. I have things I imagine some people might think I should be embarrassed by, such as Cyndi Lauper, The Dance Hall Crashers and Greenday, but rather than hiding these records I have a tendency to get drunk and explain, at length, just why there's nothing wrong with some good pop music.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

livingthelie

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2006, 13:40 »

i happen to agree with the fact that there is a time and place for good pop music.  i'm not talking about that (i happen to like cindy lauper, dance hall crashers, and green day as well).  i'm talking about stuff we know, absolutely, sucks, yet we cannot stop listening to.  we like it even though it's bad for us.  kind of like candy bars, or al franken.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2006, 13:43 »

I suppose a lot of people on this board could put forth the arguement that my copy of "Song for America" by Kansas falls into this catagory.

I submit that these people are soulless robots
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2006, 13:45 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2006, 13:45 »

I'm either too self-justifying or just have far too much bad taste to have any records like that. I'll even back up my liking up Lily Allen's LDN.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2006, 14:05 »

I used to to say that I had nothing in my collection to be ashamed of, but that was before I started listening to Panic! At the Disco. God help me.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Scytale

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2006, 14:53 »

I have Silverchair's Best Of, which my sister bought for me, she used to have a massive "OMG: Daniel" thing  going on and insisted I own at least on of their cds and I have to admit it's not all bad.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2006, 15:38 »

Cyndi Lauper is by no means bad music. There is nothing better than the cheesiness of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun for all kinds of inebriated dance-related antics.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

TrueNeutral

« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2006, 15:44 »

While I'm not particularely ashamed of them I do listen to some things that I know aren't very good and that most people probably hate. Most of them are leftovers from the time long past when I was into nu-metal. Some of them indicate that I was nearly going to turn emo before this forum saved me with it's music recommendations, so, uh, thanks guys!

Here's my list:
Incubus (S.C.I.E.N.C.E.*, Make Yourself, Morning View)
Disturbed (The Sickness, Believe*, Ten Thousand Fists)
Staind (Break The Cycle*, 14 Shades Of Grey)
Slipknot (The Subliminal Verses)
Godsmack (Godsmack*, Awake, Faceless, The Other Side EP*, IV)
Dashboard Confessional (Swiss Army Romance, So Impossible EP*, The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most)
Midtown (Save The World Lose The Girl, Living Well Is The Best Revenge, Forget What You Know*)
Orgy (Candyass, Vapour Transmission*)
Pantera (Power Metal, Cowboys From Hell, Vulgar Display Of Power*, Far Beyond Driven, The Great Southern Trendkill)

* denotes records I actually still think kick major ass.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2006, 16:24 »

I don't have any bad C.D.s.  I only have good C.D.s nobody else likes.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2006, 16:46 »

Sir, Judas Priest are one of the greatest bands of all time.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Lukeypoo

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2006, 19:02 »

Prozzak - Hot Show
Would be my one. I love it to death. When the occasional friend will give a listen they either think it's hillariously awesome or just stupid. Don't tell me I'm the only person that thinks that Aqua, Venga Boys, etc are just too much fun.

PS: Did you know that the two guys in Prozzak are from the Philosopher Kings? I didn't until two months ago...

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2006, 19:29 »

Incubus

Nothing to be ashamed of, Incubus are a good band.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2006, 19:34 »

I only have like 3 cds that I am vaguely embarrassed by and I'm not all that embarrassed really, AFI - DecemberUnderground (it's really just an extension of Sing The Sorrow so I like it anyway), Coal Chamber - Chamber Music (I think I've listened to it once, I wasn't impressed but I don't throw cds away) and Sevendust ?- Home. (That guy is like the Lenny Kravitz of "metal").

Incubus

Nothing to be ashamed of, Incubus were a good band.

Fixed.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2006, 19:44 »

*sigh* yeah.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Brian Majestic

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2006, 19:54 »

Well, I listen to psychobilly often, and that's some crap music - so over 200 albums right there.

KOODustin

• Plantmonster
« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2006, 20:33 »

You all have NOTHING on me.  I have, in my possession a SIGNED Shaquille O'Neal "Here Comes The Reign" cd.  Nawgh.

Though, I can't say that I've ever listened to it...so it might not count...
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2006, 20:36 by KOODustin »

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #19 on: 14 Nov 2006, 20:37 »

I don't think I have anything in my collection right now that I'm ashamed of - I tend to go through my cd's once a year or so and take everything that makes me ill into the store for trade credit - but I've had a list of winners in the past. ?There was a time back in my younger years when I owned copies of Disturbed's Down With The Sickness (a sin for which no amount of repentance will ever make me feel absolved), that one Staind cd, and I used to be one of the biggest P.O.D. fanboys I knew of*. ?Also, I remember trying to argue the point to a friend of mine many moons ago that Papa Roach's cd Infest was a masterpiece...

*To be fair, a lot of what they did pre-Atlantic days, when they were underground was less shitty...they still were rap-metal nonsense, but at least they had some kind of passion for what they were doing then...

So now I guess I've finally acknowledged my horrible nu-metal past...I really do feel a lot better already!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

KOODustin

• Plantmonster
« Reply #20 on: 14 Nov 2006, 20:42 »

Oh yeah.  Bryan Adams.  So Far So Good.  I listened to that album like it was a fucking religion.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #21 on: 14 Nov 2006, 21:14 »

I will readily admit that I listen to a lot of very bad music. I don't hide it at all. I think that among my friends, I have the unique ability to appreciate music that isn't very good.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #22 on: 14 Nov 2006, 22:08 »

I personally say that what's in the cubboard cd-wise is a glossary and colage over-view of my life up to this point. Yes there is stuff that I do not play anymore but that are part of me. So ... no bad. Just ... me.

That said, I own two spice girls albums. Apparantly Girl Power is part of me.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #23 on: 14 Nov 2006, 22:16 »

Lindsay Lohan.

All her songs are within my range (I don't sing. My range is like negative) so it is fun to sing along to at the top of my lungs, usually whilst driving. Kelly Clarkson is another guilty pleasure, but I actually think she's good so it doesn't count.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

livingthelie

« Reply #24 on: 14 Nov 2006, 23:10 »

So now I guess I've finally acknowledged my horrible nu-metal past...I really do feel a lot better already!

when i was sixteen, i owned limp bizkit's first album. 

gah. 

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #25 on: 14 Nov 2006, 23:32 »

I used to be so into the Strokes it hurt.

I still don't think they suck, but that new album was awful and they did become poster children for over-hyped NY rock.

TrueNeutral

« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2006, 00:17 »

Incubus

Nothing to be ashamed of, Incubus are a good band.

I'm not ashamed. I just posted the stuff that most people I know consider bad. They were sortof lumped with the whole nu-metal movement, so yeah.

And yeah, Crow Left Of The Murder was pretty bad. Haven't heard the new one.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #27 on: 15 Nov 2006, 00:21 »

i own three offspring albums and the first linkin park album and when renimation came out, i down loaded that...and liked it. i don't listen to any of those currently but at times i do find myself listening to.....chevelle *cringe*
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #28 on: 15 Nov 2006, 00:23 »

I... I listen to New Found Glory.  Except for their most recent album.  What I heard from that was too crap, even for me.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #29 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:01 »

The first post doesn't make clear whether I can make fun of you all.

Please inform.

Well that depends, tommy my boy; would you say 'ha ha, you booze-fuelled pissant' to someone admitting they had a problem at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #30 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:03 »

All of my music is embarressing... Most horrific however... Hilary Duff (BOTH of her CD's actually...), NSYNC, and probably Ace of Base.

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #31 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:13 »

I like hair metal & power ballads.

I've seen Poison live 5 times. They toured with Winger once, and I liked that too. I sang along with Winger.

I'm going to go scrub myself with steel wool to get the dirty off
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #32 on: 15 Nov 2006, 04:31 »

I mean, I like everything Tim Kinsella has recorded over the years.
Is there some kind of trick to this? Like a magic eye picture?

I own several Toad the Wet Sprocket CDs, retained from my youth. I don't really listen to them anymore, but I still think "Scenes from a vinyl recliner" is a good song. It's about clowns or something.

[Edit: hey wow, free extraneous question marks. What causes that?]
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2006, 04:33 by nickyandthefuture »
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Narr

« Reply #33 on: 15 Nov 2006, 04:57 »

Pantera (Power Metal, Cowboys From Hell, Vulgar Display Of Power*, Far Beyond Driven, The Great Southern Trendkill)

Hey, I happen to think Pantera made some pretty awesome stuff.  RIP, Mr. Darrell.

Apparently, from other threads I've seen in here, I'm not supposed to like The Strokes, but I happen to like all of their stuff as far as albums go.

Something I know I'm supposed to be ashamed of but am not:  Creed.  I think I own all three albums they made, as well.  Admittedly, I didn't realize how big of a total fuckface cuntwad that Scott Stapp is else I probably would have never listened to the band at all.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #34 on: 15 Nov 2006, 05:14 »

Cyndi Lauper is by no means bad music. There is nothing better than the cheesiness of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun for all kinds of inebriated dance-related antics.

I've often said, and will continue to say, that nothing Fugazi, Slint or Skyclad have ever done is as good a song as Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time"
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

jcknbl

« Reply #35 on: 15 Nov 2006, 05:28 »

Dude, you posted why I was writing  and said exactly what I was thinking I wrote:

"I'd submit that Time After Time is one of the top 5 songs of all time."

Re:  bad music

I have a lot of Sublime- most of the music I don't consider very good but nostolgia has me listening on occasion. I think Everclear has become an absolute disaster of an act but I still listen to So Much For the Afterglow quite a bit. Again nostolgia but I also think its a great album. So bad band, good album.

I also agree that the Killers write some catchy songs but I sort of define catchy as good. They are annoyingly earnest though. I guess I have a pretty broad definition of good music though.

qtownstegy

• Larger than most fish
  • I lie to myself constantly!
« Reply #36 on: 15 Nov 2006, 07:03 »

I have some Good Charlotte, Smash Mouth, The Offspring, Avril Lavigne, and probably the thing I'm least proud of, Christina Aguilera.

Quote from: Blue Kitty
"Man, why is it that whores find my Myspace?  I mean, my name is the Blue Kitty, not, 'Hey whore, I will add you'"

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #37 on: 15 Nov 2006, 07:08 »

Sir, Judas Priest are one of the greatest bands of all time.

i absolutly agree with you with the exception of the short period of when owen "the ripper" wilson was their front man and the turbo cd

other than that they're my favorite band

*Sights*

• Larger than most fish
  • " "" "
« Reply #38 on: 15 Nov 2006, 08:47 »

I think what would be embarassing about my taste is just how eclectic the sum of its shameful parts is:

1. When i was 12, i used to wear a Yankees cap. I think we all know why. Lord...please spare me.

2. Strangely enough, i also had a soft spot for cheesy New Age pseudo-celtic music.

So there you have it, a nu-metal kid who also happened to appreciate the badassness of Enya.

Oh yeah, and i've had The Girl from Ipanema on repeat for like two days now.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2006, 09:17 by *Sights* »

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #39 on: 15 Nov 2006, 08:55 »

i...i like the killers.

Man the first three tracks on the new album are absolutely dynamite. It definitely swerves downwards at track four, the title of which is way fucking embarrassing, and only picks up for "This River Is Wild," "Bones" and "Exitlude." Also their live performance is awkward as all hell.

And there is nothing wrong with Prozzak. Prozzak are modern geniuses.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Brian Majestic

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #40 on: 15 Nov 2006, 09:32 »

I have some Good Charlotte, Smash Mouth, The Offspring, Avril Lavigne, and probably the thing I'm least proud of, Christina Aguilera.

I'd argue Aguilera is the one to be most proud of from that bunch!

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
« Reply #41 on: 15 Nov 2006, 10:03 »

Wow, I used to have all sorts of bad rap-metal from middle school days, but now that I've gotten rid of that I'm really not ashamed of anything. I listen to some stuff some metalheads would kill me for, but I don't care. 

There is a bit of random pop stuff in my library I like listening to and realize that is very commerical music, but I just don't care, everything from Boston to Rammstein to A.F.I. to Billy Idol. There is other pop in my library that I think perfectly respectable music on its own terms.

penpen17

« Reply #42 on: 15 Nov 2006, 10:12 »

I occasionally listen to Ashlee Simpson. And i enjoy it.

edit:? Well, I enjoy it for about 10 minutes, before I get bored and have to switch to something else
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2006, 10:14 by penpen17 »

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #43 on: 15 Nov 2006, 12:07 »

does this mean you have the cd because the radio dosn't play more than 3 minutes in a row as far as i know

Taber

« Reply #44 on: 15 Nov 2006, 13:33 »

Nickelback. Do I win?

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #45 on: 15 Nov 2006, 14:28 »

did you read the rest of the thread?

Spinless

« Reply #46 on: 15 Nov 2006, 17:52 »

This thread makes me feel a lot of things.
Makes me feel intelligent and sophisticated. More so than you guys.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2006, 17:57 by Spinless »

Spinless

« Reply #47 on: 15 Nov 2006, 17:53 »

No, really, like, how old are you all? 10?

Spinless

« Reply #48 on: 15 Nov 2006, 17:54 »

I'm sorry, a lot of you are probably hard of hearing.

Right?

Spinless

« Reply #49 on: 15 Nov 2006, 17:55 »

No, I really do apologise. I mean, a lot of you probably don't have the internet, so you can't have heard any good music at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up