THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 09:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: bad music confessional  (Read 55206 times)

The Eyeball Kid

Re: bad music confessional
« Reply #100 on: 27 Nov 2006, 13:54 »

on occasion i will listen to jethro tull. i also had a major thing for the song 'all downhill from here' by new found glory. i don't know what it was about that song, maybe the over pitch corrected vocals, maybe the over the top breakdown (possibly the singer reliving his glory days in shai hulud), it was just so mtv trying to be badass that it sucked me into its tractor beam of cheese.
*hangs head in shame

eyeball kid-stop saying bad things about the spazzys! pop punk/ramones-core is where its at!

Trust me, seeing them live will remove all of that.

Exactly.
They're fun on record, and they're good the first time you see them live at a small venue... but by the second show you realize that its all the same song, you're halfway through a packed set in Come Together and oh god get me out of here

er
in my opinion, anyway

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #101 on: 27 Nov 2006, 13:55 »

I downloaded the new My Chemical Romance and Meatloaf albums this weekend

AlexAttack

« Reply #102 on: 27 Nov 2006, 17:12 »

on occasion i will listen to jethro tull. i also had a major thing for the song 'all downhill from here' by new found glory. i don't know what it was about that song, maybe the over pitch corrected vocals, maybe the over the top breakdown (possibly the singer reliving his glory days in shai hulud), it was just so mtv trying to be badass that it sucked me into its tractor beam of cheese.
*hangs head in shame

eyeball kid-stop saying bad things about the spazzys! pop punk/ramones-core is where its at!

Exactly.
They're fun on record, and they're good the first time you see them live at a small venue... but by the second show you realize that its all the same song, you're halfway through a packed set in Come Together and oh god get me out of here

er
in my opinion, anyway

i've seen them about 5 times i think and they are better in smaller venues i reckon. i guess you either love them or hate them, they're one of my favourite aussie bands.

CutMan

• Obscure cultural reference
  • "Reality is almost always wrong."
« Reply #103 on: 27 Nov 2006, 21:45 »

I've decided to pointlessly point out that I have
enough "bad" CDs to be crucified by most of you.
Mwuahahah. Hahahah. Hah. Hah. Hah. Eheh. ^^;

Example: All Disturbed CDs, most Incubus, several of H.I.M.s, both
Lostprophets CDs, Panic! at the Disco, several Godsmack, two
My Chemical Romance, and there's way more.

No shame.

Thank you very much, that is all.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #104 on: 28 Nov 2006, 01:38 »

both Lostprophets CDs,

Lostprophets have three albums. Presumably you're referring to the second two, which are shite. The first one is brilliant.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TrueNeutral

« Reply #105 on: 28 Nov 2006, 01:40 »

Example: All Disturbed CDs

I still say Disturbed is the best thing to come out of nu-metal.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #106 on: 28 Nov 2006, 06:43 »

Example: All Disturbed CDs

I still say Disturbed is the best thing to come out of nu-metal.

That's a lot like saying...well you can probably see where I'm going with this. Nu metal sucks etc etc.

CutMan

« Reply #107 on: 28 Nov 2006, 07:49 »

both Lostprophets CDs,

Lostprophets have three albums. Presumably you're referring to the second two, which are shite. The first one is brilliant.

No actually, I'm refering to the first one- which was the best, and the second one which
was all right.

You know, that's funny, I guess I totally blocked the new one's
existence from my memory. I was really dissapointed in that CD.

And agree with TrueNeutral on Disturbed probably being the best thing
to come out of nu-metal.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #108 on: 28 Nov 2006, 08:19 »

i've got several Spazzys songs and heaps of Grates b-sides (er, that might not mean much outside of Aus. Spazzys= crap female Ramones alikes)

I will poke out the eyes of anyone who says the Spazzys and the Grates are shit.

Also, everybody already knows what my favourite bad music is.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2006, 08:26 by Lunchbox »

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #109 on: 28 Nov 2006, 08:42 »

*hangs head in shame

Exactly.

er
in my opinion, anyway

i've seen them about 5 times i think and they are better in smaller venues i reckon. i guess you either love them or hate them, they're one of my favourite aussie bands.

"either love them or hate them"? I don't think they're that polarizing... sometimes its fun to hear their songs. I didn't like them the last time i saw them live... Mach Pelican is my new fave Aussie Ramones style band

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #110 on: 28 Nov 2006, 08:44 »

i've got several Spazzys songs and heaps of Grates b-sides (er, that might not mean much outside of Aus. Spazzys= crap female Ramones alikes)

I will poke out the eyes of anyone who says the Spazzys and the Grates are shit.

Have you been to any Grates gigs in Sydney? you woulda seen me around if so....

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #111 on: 28 Nov 2006, 09:07 »

Nope, I get free concerts in Newcastle because I work at the Bar On The Hill, which is the Uni bar! The Grates were awesome, but we have not seen the Spazzys there yet.

valentine

« Reply #112 on: 28 Nov 2006, 10:24 »

My Chemical Romance.
They are the bane of my existance. But I can't help. it's just so.. good.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #113 on: 28 Nov 2006, 10:30 »

She's actually a groupie.

Nope, I get free concerts in Newcastle because I work at the Bar On The Hill, which is the Uni bar! The Grates were awesome, but we have not seen the Spazzys there yet.

I go to free concerts because i'm either there as a music journo, there with Liveguide.com.au, or if that fails the Grates will get me in... at their last show Alana was like "I'm Alana from the Grates and I demand that this girl gets into the show!" that wasn't me though...
I'm the biggest Grates groupie on this board, i bet - seen them 8 times, got their drawings on my bag, promised Alana a Neutral Milk Hotel mix i haven't made yet, run their flickr group, got set up with a girl after their show when Pae said she was my girlfriend (the girl, not Pae) and got us drunk on Jager, then put us on the door to the Newcastle show (i couldn't go though)... went to their soundcheck party last show and insulted Craig Nicholls from the Vines... crazy stuff.

um
i probably should not have admitted that

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #114 on: 28 Nov 2006, 10:33 »

Ugh, this is turning into the message board from the N.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #115 on: 28 Nov 2006, 11:36 »

Picking the best band to come out of nu-metal is like picking your favorite Uwe Boll movie.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #116 on: 28 Nov 2006, 12:02 »

I have the second My Chemicalm Romance album which I think is surprisingly ok.
I have 2 HIM albums which I quite like.
I have the old JT album plus several tracks from the new one.
AFI are my favourite band and I have every album.
I have numerous Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir albums.

I feel no shame in any of this. They're all well written, well made albums. HIM and MCR are the only ones that I'm supposed to feel bad about anyway. Fuck y'al.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #117 on: 28 Nov 2006, 12:08 »

It seems everybody i've talked to has listed the new MCR album as their guilty pleasure, from P-Fork to John Darnielle to random indie people.
Face it - its a fun album, like Meat Loaf. Death is scary, and we can get all NMH about it or we can pump our fists to complete insanity

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #118 on: 28 Nov 2006, 14:07 »

They have three albums. I have "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge". I'm getting "The Black Parade" next week...
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #119 on: 28 Nov 2006, 21:24 »

Picking the best band to come out of nu-metal is like picking your favorite Uwe Boll movie.

Finally, someone finished my above post.

Narr

« Reply #120 on: 28 Nov 2006, 23:23 »

"either love them or hate them"? I don't think they're that polarizing... sometimes its fun to hear their songs. I didn't like them the last time i saw them live... Mach Pelican is my new fave Aussie Ramones style band
"I used to be in a heavy metal band.  People either loved us or hated us.  Or thought we were okay."
-Mitch Hedberg

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #121 on: 28 Nov 2006, 23:50 »

SUCK SATAN'S COCK!  -Bill Hicks
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

TrueNeutral

« Reply #122 on: 28 Nov 2006, 23:57 »

Well yeah, but if they're the first motion pictures you see I bet they'll stick with you.

Also, Alone In The Dark, definately. That shit was hilarious.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #123 on: 29 Nov 2006, 00:28 »

They have three albums. I have "Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge". I'm getting "The Black Parade" next week...

I thought that album was shit. A bad pop album for 14 year old emos. I liked the first album a lot when it first came out (when I bought it I had to mail-order it) and they were, in fact, the first band I ever saw live. I thought they were great (though this was, remember, my first gig), and I thought Gerard Way had the most ludicrously camp speaking voice I'd ever heard. I'd cooled off them a lot by the second album anyway, but I completely loathed it, and all its carefully calculated angst. I've only heard the title single off the new album, but it's one of the two tolerable new songs I can remember hearing on the radio this year. There's a nice eighties feel to some of the guitar work. I might have to check out the rest of it at some point when I feel like I need some cheese, though it feels more like one of those rare few songs I can tolerate when it comes on the radio, rather than anything I would actually buy or otherwise own. I also like the over-the-topness of their vids. I think I remember someone once describing them as "the neutron bombs that ended the teenage angst arms-race" or something similiar. I know that my attitude towards them is at least partly influenced by their popularity, though I also think their new stuff is far too sheeny and over-produced. I love bands like Killing Miranda and Zombina and the Skeletones which are, objectively, much sillier than MCR.

At the very least though, they do actually, on some level rock. Something very few mainstream rock bands seem to be bothering with nowadays.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2006, 01:49 by KharBevNor »
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #124 on: 29 Nov 2006, 00:52 »

Yeah, Ghost of You and I'm not OK have pretty good videos. And they're pretty good songs too.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #125 on: 29 Nov 2006, 00:58 »

AFI are my favourite band and I have every album.
I challenge you to an AFI album...um, off.
(As in, I bet I have more of them than you do and I'm not afraid to say it).

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #126 on: 29 Nov 2006, 01:51 »

both Lostprophets CDs,

No actually, I'm refering to the first one- which was the best, and the second one which
was all right.

Good choice. Start Something had maybe one good song on it, the title track, which - surprise surprise - was absolutely nothing like anything they've done before or since.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #127 on: 29 Nov 2006, 02:32 »

I challenge you to an AFI album...um, off.
(As in, I bet I have more of them than you do and I'm not afraid to say it).
You probably do. I don't have Very Proud of Ya. I do however have a signed copy of Art of Drowning. I also have every other CD of theirs.

CutMan

« Reply #128 on: 29 Nov 2006, 04:08 »

both Lostprophets CDs,

was all right.

Good choice. Start Something had maybe one good song on it, the title track, which - surprise surprise - was absolutely nothing like anything they've done before or since.

Ah, very true. Now if they'd just explore what they did in that song....

Saddens me, because I'm quite certain they wont.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #129 on: 29 Nov 2006, 05:34 »

It seems everybody i've talked to has listed the new MCR album as their guilty pleasure, from P-Fork to John Darnielle to random indie people.
Face it - its a fun album, like Meat Loaf. Death is scary, and we can get all NMH about it or we can pump our fists to complete insanity

I disagree with this and with Khar. The second album was fun and basically hormonally-addled. The new album is terrible. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Here is a game I have invented which is kind of like the Google Image Search game. It is called the "hidden track" game. This is the procedure for playing:

1) Find an album with a hidden track.
2) Listen to the hidden track.
3) Is the hidden track good? If yes, then you are listening to a good album. If no, then you are listening to a bad album.

By that token:

TV on the Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain
Hidden tracks: "Randomness," "Snakes And Martyrs," "Hours (El-P Remix)," "Things You Can Do"
The first track is just weird randomness but the other three tracks are good. Good album.

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
Hidden track: "Blood"[/b]
Awful track. Bad album.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

CutMan

« Reply #130 on: 29 Nov 2006, 05:42 »

I disagree with this and with Khar. The second album was fun and basically hormonally-addled. The new album is terrible. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Here is a game I have invented which is kind of like the Google Image Search game. It is called the "hidden track" game. This is the procedure for playing:

3) Is the hidden track good? If yes, then you are listening to a good album. If no, then you are listening to a bad album.

By that token:

TV on the Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain
Hidden tracks: "Randomness," "Snakes And Martyrs," "Hours (El-P Remix)," "Things You Can Do"
The first track is just weird randomness but the other three tracks are good. Good album.

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
Hidden track: "Blood"[/b]
Awful track. Bad album.

Wow, that method really made.... Absolutely no sense what so ever and didn't back up
your claim that the new album is horrible.

So a diverse album with all sorts of experimentation
is worse than a hormonally addled album?

I'll add "hormonaly-addled" to my list of "Things That Make Things Good" list.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2006, 05:54 by CutMan »

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #131 on: 29 Nov 2006, 06:11 »

I've been freaking out about dying lately and listening to the title track from Black Parade this morning made things alot better. I don't know how and i don't know why, but sometimes you just need to pump your fist into the void.

Wow.
That sounded lame.
But its true

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #132 on: 29 Nov 2006, 07:11 »

Any picture of AFI's frontman, What'sHisFuck, automatically trumps any picture of the entirety of MCR for sheer embarassing, How-the-fuck-do-people-take-this-band-seriously-ism.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #133 on: 29 Nov 2006, 09:06 »

Ah, so it is only acceptable to listen to bands who look like four or five random people dragged out of a third year interactive media class. Well of course. I suppose it is also okay to listen to bands who dress in cute strange costumes or wear their pyjamas while they play or something because that's just so quirky and adorable and of course every sweep of eyeliner is a leaden statement of misery and serious intent.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #134 on: 29 Nov 2006, 09:27 »

No, it's just that MCR are shit.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

CutMan

« Reply #135 on: 29 Nov 2006, 09:43 »

*almost writes up something about how judging people by appearances
is stupid, injecting a sarcastic remark about how we should all decide
what is good, normal, and cool, and laugh at those who dissagree*

*is warned that two more replies have been made, sees them*

*deletes said message*

...Whoah, uh, are you being serious Tommy? ^_^;

To stay on topic, I recently bought a Rise Against album.
I think it's spectacular, but does it count round these here parts?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #136 on: 29 Nov 2006, 09:50 »

While my game is potentially dangerous, it also works very well. Take Coheed and Cambria's latest album.

Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness
Hidden track: I don't know what it's called.

Shitty attempt at bluegrass that doesn't fit in with the rest of the album and is actually terribly done. Bad album.

CutMan

« Reply #137 on: 29 Nov 2006, 09:53 »

While my game is potentially dangerous, it also works very well. Take Coheed and Cambria's latest album.

Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness
Hidden track: I don't know what it's called.

Shitty attempt at bluegrass that doesn't fit in with the rest of the album and is actually terribly done. Bad album.

God, are you for real? I mean really, seriously. No way, you can't be
saying that stuff with a straight face, can you?

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #138 on: 29 Nov 2006, 09:53 »

Today MCR made me incredibly happy.

This much is true.

Are you sure you aren't accidentally listening to My Bloody Valentine??

But I kid.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #139 on: 29 Nov 2006, 09:58 »

Tommy, I think once you try my method you'll find out how well it works and how good it makes you feel.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #140 on: 29 Nov 2006, 10:01 »

Shane, it gets easier if you imagine this guy saying it.

Oh, man. Don't get me started. I saw them live.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #141 on: 29 Nov 2006, 10:03 »

Today and yesterday MCR made me almost not depressed.

This much is true.

I need to listen to the Black Parade again.
I think i have a problem

CutMan

« Reply #142 on: 29 Nov 2006, 10:07 »

God, are you for real? I mean really, seriously. No way, you can't be
saying that stuff with a straight face, can you?

You should calm down Sir.
We realised a while ago on the forum and in our real lives that music is subjective. Thus, we pretty much just try to make each other laugh through our flippancy and deliberately pithy opinions. We don't mean it, we are just having fun because our everyday lives are stressful, scary and boring. Listen to whatever you like, we can't stop you.

Ah, no, see, another trapping of the internet. I wasn't upset.
I was just curious as to how you could actually really believe that.

And it's not that you can't stop me, it's just that it would require
you to figure out where I am and spend all the money and time to
fly to where I am, torture me, break my spirit and take away all
my CDs.

Er, I hope you're not getting any ideas.

Narr

« Reply #143 on: 29 Nov 2006, 10:57 »

But that would mean Stone Temple Pilot's Purple is a bad album, but it isn't a bad album.

Although the hidden track IS good for a laugh and I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for.

glwtta

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #144 on: 29 Nov 2006, 15:50 »

confession cleanses the souls, brothers and sisters.   CONFESS, so that your mind may be free.

Rammstein.

I am completely gay for Rammstein.  Of course if it ever comes up in conversation, I smirk in a superior fashion and start expounding on how they are just Laibach for adolescents.

Oh, and to whoever listed "Ace of Base" - you sir, are on crack.  Ace of Base is the shit, I will defend that one in any kind of gladiator-style murder-dome of your choice.  :-P

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #145 on: 29 Nov 2006, 16:24 »

I have a Mountain Goats cover of 'the sign'

thesonglessbird

« Reply #146 on: 29 Nov 2006, 21:49 »

Lady Sovereign.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #147 on: 30 Nov 2006, 00:35 »

I am completely gay for Rammstein.  Of course if it ever comes up in conversation, I smirk in a superior fashion and start expounding on how they are just Laibach for adolescents.

It's a pretty much accepted fact that all rivetheads will openly decry Rammstein, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie at any opportunity, but still have a ton of their CDs hidden behind their Skinny Puppy and :wumpscut:.

Narr

« Reply #148 on: 30 Nov 2006, 01:24 »

Rammstein and Rob Zombie are supposed to be stuff we're ashamed to listen to, as well?

Shit, guys.  This thread is depressing.  Seems like every time I see a new post in the thread, it's someone naming a band I like that they feel is bad music they have to confess to listening to.  I had no idea it's not posh.

Next I'm going to be told I should be ashamed of liking The White Stripes.

Marneus90

• Plantmonster
  • I found Jesus. He was in the kitchen.
« Reply #149 on: 30 Nov 2006, 02:07 »

every piece of music I own is not a regretted purchase. Well, I say every, what I mean is everything except that Lost Prophets album, Start Something
*shudder*
it had one or two decent tracks, then I got the album and it was absolute shite!
98% of people believe the statistics in people's signatures. If you're one of the 2% who dont, copy and paste this into your sig.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up