THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 21:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: twee pop!  (Read 7769 times)

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
twee pop!
« on: 27 Nov 2006, 07:49 »

So I need more twee pop. I like the more energetic songs by Tullycraft, such as Wild Bikini and Radio Theme. Anyone got any recommendations?
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Re: twee pop!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2006, 08:13 »

I enjoy the music of Australian band The Lucksmiths, although they may not be as upbeat as you might like and you will have to learn to love the singer's fairly thick accent.

I fully approve of Tommy's suggestion of Beat Happening though -- I saw Calvin Johnson play only a few weeks ago and it was quite delightful. What a nice man. Perhaps if you like them you would like the Magnetic Fields too?

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2006, 08:34 »

If we're going with twee on K Records, I would say All Girl Summer Fun Band is pretty much the ultimate.

Ballboy is really good! They sing songs about wanting to be astronauts. The Boy Least Likely To became quasi-popular here with the song "I'm Glad I Hitched My Apple Wagon to Your Star". Of Montreal is one of my absolute favorite bands-and their early stuff is super twee. Aim for any album before Satanic Panic in the Attic, though their first album-Cherry Peel is an excellent place to start. Danielson Famile/Br. Danielson/Danielson is really good too. Jeffrey Lewis is really good-I recommend the song "The Chelsea Hotel Oral Sex Song" or "You Don't Have to be a Scientist to do Experiments on Your Own Heart".

For classification purposes my definition of twee is basically indie or otherwise obnoxiously cutesy bubblegum pop.

If you really like twee a whole lot, I would recommend just getting into old girl groups!
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2006, 08:43 »

So I need more twee pop.

No you don't. Nobody needs more twee pop.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2006, 10:01 »

The other day I was thinking that Architecture In Helsinki classifies as twee prog, but the idea is both stupid and terrifies me. Can you imagine...King Crimson but cute?? I can, and let me tell you, you don't want to.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2006, 11:58 »

All Girl Summer Fun Band seconded!

Also...
Tilly and The Wall, The Pipettes, Smoosh, The Chalets, Johnny Boy and if you venture a little more into indie/post britpop goodness, Long Blondes.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2006, 13:45 »

The other day I was thinking that Architecture In Helsinki classifies as twee prog, but the idea is both stupid and terrifies me. Can you imagine...King Crimson but cute?? I can, and let me tell you, you don't want to.

I'm sorry... i can't hear you. I'm still thinking of Kelli from AiH's sexy sexy dancing last night.
They're the happiest band ever, both on record and in real life. They will save your life. They will make you dance. Their first album is more 'tradtionally' twee, but their second is pure awesome.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2006, 14:12 »

Everyone should own the first Beat Happening album, unless they are possessed of a black heart like Steve Albini's.

All Girl Summer Fun Band are indeed also excellent. Just go and buy lots of things on K, it's a great little label.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Spinless

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2006, 14:28 »

black heart like Steve Albini's.

...?

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2006, 20:39 »

Don't you know of his black, black heart?? Steve Albini is the anti-christ of the twee pop religion.

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2006, 00:28 »

did he kick a puppy? or forget to leave the toilet seat down?
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #11 on: 28 Nov 2006, 01:39 »

Paul McCartney, anyone?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

alexalexalex

« Reply #12 on: 28 Nov 2006, 02:19 »

Bunnygrunt?

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2006, 02:34 »

- The Besties (if you like Tullycraft, you should like the Besties)
- The Smittens/Colin Clary (Colin is Mr. Twee.? James Kochalka draws him with one eye.)
- Cars Can Be Blue (Whee!)
- Bunnygrunt (even though they have already been mentioned.  Listen to "I mock you with my monkey pants" GOGOGO)
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 2006, 06:48 »

Everyone should own the first Beat Happening album, unless they are possessed of a black heart like Steve Albini's.

Yeah totally.

You know what kind of gifts Steve Albini gives to kids?? Copies of Shellac and Big Black albums.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2006, 06:55 »

What if the kids are music critics?
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2006, 08:40 »

The last two times Calvin Johnson played in Sydney he made me sad

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2006, 10:32 »

He told you that in one week he slept with more girls then you will in your life?

To be fair, he tells us all that.

Just the low-fi folk thing and the mood i was in got me down. Well that and the first time i was sitting right next to my crush who didn't like me
but mostly the low-fi ness. i dunno... it was funny seeing him sitting behind the merch tent at a tiny Sydney venue though
Pages: [1]   Go Up