THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 17:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most disappointing album  (Read 21118 times)

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
Re: Most disappointing album
« Reply #50 on: 21 Nov 2006, 13:35 »

I'm gonna go with Cradle of Filth's new album. I love this band and have most of their albums and I even didn't mind Nymphetamine. I mean it wasn't their best album but it was ok. But the new one? I haven't even heard that many songs off it and I know to avoid it like the plague. I mean guest vocals by the jerk from HIM? How far they have fallen...
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #51 on: 21 Nov 2006, 13:40 »

I'm only miserable in that I listened to it all the way through, wrote the review and watched this damn forumbox eat my post.

Internet Superhero Protip: Write out long posts in Notepad first  :wink:
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #52 on: 21 Nov 2006, 14:49 »

Or use firefox.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #53 on: 21 Nov 2006, 17:35 »

I was extremely dissapointed in The Killer's new album, Sam's Town. Not really a song I like on the whole thing, and I seriously enjoyed Hot Fuss.

midi

« Reply #54 on: 21 Nov 2006, 17:55 »

Apoptygma Berzerk - You And Me Against The World

What the fuck did they smoke that convinced them that dropped their tried-and-tested genre-defining synthpop sound in favour of some shitty Stereophonies/Killers-lite bullshit and hiring the guirarist from Korn were good ideas?? :cry:

Cool avatar. Ghibli = cool.

Anyway, Kid A or Amnesia. What. The. Fuck.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #55 on: 21 Nov 2006, 19:02 »

Amputechture by The Mars Volta is pretty much a one trick pony, and the last song is hardly worthy of being an album ender.

The last song is hardly worth of anything. There's maybe two tracks on there which are worth listening to in places.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Vanilla Gorilla

« Reply #56 on: 21 Nov 2006, 19:17 »

prize fighter inferno.

theres a few good tracks, but that dance electronic drum machine bullshit gives me an aneurysm

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #57 on: 21 Nov 2006, 22:35 »

Amputechture by The Mars Volta is pretty much a one trick pony, and the last song is hardly worthy of being an album ender.

The last song is hardly worth of anything. There's maybe two tracks on there which are worth listening to in places.

As much as I wanted to like it, I couldn't.  It's just not that good.  There are certainly parts of songs that I like, but I usually can't listen to any of the songs on that album all the way through.  I mean, if you're completely blazed the album probably sounds alright, but otherwise, nah.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #58 on: 21 Nov 2006, 23:59 »

As much as I wanted to like it, I couldn't.? It's just not that good.? There are certainly parts of songs that I like, but I usually can't listen to any of the songs on that album all the way through.? I mean, if you're completely blazed the album probably sounds alright, but otherwise, nah.

That's the thing. None of the songs are great all the way through. Even the songs with wanky bits on before, the wanky bits were far outweighed by the proper music. Here is' about a 9:1 ratio of shit to good.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #59 on: 22 Nov 2006, 00:46 »

I can see why Jon Theodore left them.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #60 on: 22 Nov 2006, 01:30 »

Oh yeah, because he left after playing on that album didn't he? Bahaha. 'Cedric, you've gone bullshit wacko.'

Have you read the uncyclopedia entry on them? It's pretty funny.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #61 on: 22 Nov 2006, 01:44 »

Well, Jon's a nice guy. 

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #62 on: 22 Nov 2006, 01:53 »

I'm gonna go with Cradle of Filth's new album. I love this band and have most of their albums and I even didn't mind Nymphetamine. I mean it wasn't their best album but it was ok. But the new one? I haven't even heard that many songs off it and I know to avoid it like the plague. I mean guest vocals by the jerk from HIM? How far they have fallen...

Disagree strongly.

The Foetus of a new day kicking alone is worth the effort of the purchase. But there's much more on there worthy of note. Really. Trust me.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #63 on: 22 Nov 2006, 02:23 »

Oh, sush. St Anger is a good album.

No, I don't I will trust you, thanks.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #64 on: 22 Nov 2006, 05:55 »

I was extremely dissapointed in The Killer's new album, Sam's Town. Not really a song I like on the whole thing, and I seriously enjoyed Hot Fuss.

I lost hope in the notion that the follow up would be half decent after listening to Brandon Flowers going on about Bruce Springsteen (why the hell do bands have to 'do a springsteen'? It's like some benchmark of faux maturity or something and it's quite frankly tedious), but even then, when I listened to it, I felt a resounding 'meh' tremble through my entire being.

And I did like Hot Fuss, in parts.

soak

« Reply #65 on: 24 Nov 2006, 18:00 »

Sam's Town is terrible. Flowers can claim he is going for Springsteen but it comes of like bad (worse) Meatloaf. Has anyone listened to the chorus of Bones?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #66 on: 24 Nov 2006, 23:59 »

Didn't he say something retarded to the effect that their new album was one of the best in the last 20 years or something? I think I recall hearing something to that effect.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #67 on: 25 Nov 2006, 00:36 »

Didn't he say something retarded to the effect that their new album was one of the best in the last 20 years or something? I think I recall hearing something to that effect.

That's nothing. The guitarist from Kasabian said something like 'I think we've truly made a classic album that people are going to be talking about for the next 50 years.'

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #68 on: 25 Nov 2006, 10:16 »

Sam's Town is terrible. Flowers can claim he is going for Springsteen but it comes of like bad (worse) Meatloaf. Has anyone listened to the chorus of Bones?

I don't think anyone should even be talking about The Killers like they have ever released quality material.

Coonstar

« Reply #69 on: 25 Nov 2006, 11:35 »

Man whatever the hell happened to modesty? It did get assaulted and left dismembered by a ditch?

Dig Me Out is definitely not the best Sleater-Kinney album, but I still dig the heck out of it (punpun :P). Sigh. Words and Guitar!

I totally agree with whoever said that The Dresden Doll's Yes, Virgina was disappointing. I think I only listened to it twice and didn't bother with it again. Oh well, sophomore slump!

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #70 on: 25 Nov 2006, 18:45 »

Four Cornered Night by Jets to Brazil
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffff

Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #71 on: 25 Nov 2006, 22:28 »

... The guitarist from Kasabian said something like 'I think we've truly made a classic album that people are going to be talking about for the next 50 years.'

A snippet of converation from 50 years into the future:
"Oh my god - I was just looking through my dad's record collection, and found this record by a band called Kasabian, so I played it, thinking my dad had quite cool music taste, and seriously man, it's fucking terrible. Those must have been hard times for music if a band like that could sell records. Plus, I think I must have been adopted."

Maybe Kasabian dude had a point.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #72 on: 26 Nov 2006, 20:09 »

Disagree strongly.

The Foetus of a new day kicking alone is worth the effort of the purchase. But there's much more on there worthy of note. Really. Trust me.

Well tiny puppy, chances are because I love Cradle so damn much I'm probably gonna buy it anyway, praying all the while that I'm wrong and it is actually good. And if it isn't, I'm coming after you. Like a fucking pottery wheel, you dig?
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #73 on: 26 Nov 2006, 21:37 »

Shudder To Think - Funeral At the Movies/Ten Spot. Why, Dischord, why? Why unleash such bland mediocrity under your usually so excellent name?
The Get Up Kids - On A Wire. What a good idea, to replace amazing pop songs with bland MOR shite. Morons.
Bilge Pump - Let Me Breathe. This should be amazing, but somehow they managed to make it just average. I think it's mostly the production but I still wonder how that manages to have such a profound effect on what really are fantastic songs live.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #74 on: 26 Nov 2006, 21:46 »

Disagree strongly.

Well tiny puppy, chances are because I love Cradle so damn much I'm probably gonna buy it anyway, praying all the while that I'm wrong and it is actually good. And if it isn't, I'm coming after you. Like a fucking pottery wheel, you dig?

.... like a pottery wheel ...

Meant to be kicked round? Squidy? Dressed in mud? As a prop in 'ghost'?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #75 on: 27 Nov 2006, 07:16 »

Bloc Party- Silent Alarm. 99% of the time I listen to an album that gets ridiculous hype and THEN I go buy it, but for whatever reason I took a gamble on this one. I don't hate it, but yet I don't really like it. I realize they added some tracks unto the American version, but it feels overlong and mediocre to me.

Boards of Canada- The Campfire Headphase. I love love love BOC, and had high hopes that they might change up the formula on this one and still be as great as ever. It's not saying much when I admit that this is my least favorite BOC album since I still like it, but it's just sort of 'meh' compared to everything else they've done.

Pixies- Bossanova. I know one or two people who swear by Bossanova, but it's always struck me as their weakest album by far. Yes, I even like Trompe Le Monde more.

Sigur Ros- (). I know this has been mentioned before, but I heartily agree. I was riding on a wave of Sigur Ros exhilaration when I bought this album a day after it came out. I like it more nowadays, but for the past however many years it's been out, I've hardly listened to it. It's way too long and repetitive, and almost singlehandedly killed my desire to want to buy any of their other stuff. Turns out I just picked the wrong album to get into them with...

Sleater-Kinney- One Beat. Not a bad album by any means, but I like all their other stuff so much better. The Hot Rock is so powerful to me that it makes me smile and cry at the same time.

Wire- Chairs Missing. I think I am a freak because I do not love this album. I love Pink Flag, but this one just doesn't do it for me. I feel like broken record, but: not bad, I just like their other stuff better.

Yo La Tengo- Summer Sun. If you took And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out, made it *feel* longer, mellowed out all of Yo La Tengo's noisy edges, and released it between two vastly superior albums (And Then Nothing and I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass), then you'd have Summer Sun. Granted I haven't heard anything pre-Painful, but it's my least favorite Yo La Tengo album.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #76 on: 27 Nov 2006, 21:10 »

Bloc Party- Silent Alarm. 99% of the time I listen to an album that gets ridiculous hype and THEN I go buy it, but for whatever reason I took a gamble on this one. I don't hate it, but yet I don't really like it. I realize they added some tracks unto the American version, but it feels overlong and mediocre to me.

That album has classic pop-record syndrome; a handful of great singles, maybe a couple of good album tracks, the rest utter filler and wank.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #77 on: 28 Nov 2006, 08:41 »

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank.

öde

« Reply #78 on: 28 Nov 2006, 16:48 »

Four Cornered Night by Jets to Brazil

Don't think I've listened to this the whole way through but the first track is awesome.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #79 on: 29 Nov 2006, 02:54 »

Do you remember the songs that Rowlf sang on the Muppet show?
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

camelpimp

« Reply #80 on: 29 Nov 2006, 23:26 »

Joy Division's "Substance".

I could go into a spiel about the fact that if this was your first Joy Division purchase that was unwise, as it's a collection of b-sides, twelve inches, EPs, etc. not an album and so isn't a good introduction to the band.

But, instead...fuck you, you're wrong. Fuck you.

As far as biggest disappointment, I'm going to say the most recent Mars Volta album. Frances The Mute was a masterpiece. I didn't expect it to be as good as that, or anywhere near. But I expected it to be worth listening to, for fuck's sake.

I know, I know. I'm willing the band another try (and there WERE goods songs on it, but the majority was boring) but it's not on the top of my agenda right now.

And seriously, most everyone gets pissed off when I say Disintegration was seriously fucking boring? It had a few good songs on it, but I can't listen to it all the way through. And cripies, it's not like I can't take depressing music.

And since someone mentioned Kasabian: yeah, their first album is pretty damned disappointing. I was actually LESS disappointed by their second album (yes, I bought it. What are you going to do about it) because I was expecting it to be total crap. I never said that anything I did made sense.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up