THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 09:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Explosions In The Sky track  (Read 3926 times)

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
New Explosions In The Sky track
« on: 21 Nov 2006, 08:32 »

I don't know if this is old news or not, but I just read that Explosions In The Sky has posted a new song from their upcoming album.  Here is a direct link to the file (it's an mp4 file)

http://www.temporaryresidence.com/mp3s/explosions_welcomeghosts.mp4

I'm trying to decide how I feel about this so far.  I guess I like it, but it sounds hells of similar to "The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place." 
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
Re: New Explosions In The Sky track
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2006, 09:41 »

Thank you.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Corcarpemei

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2006, 11:57 »

Yay!   :-D

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2006, 23:40 »

love the new song. i'm seeing them in february and i'm aready extremely impatient. actually, i see them the day the new album comes out so i'll be getting it at the show. so far the new album is looking fantastic.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2006, 00:08 »

I will never understand what the appeal of this band is (saying "it's great to sleep/make-out to", like everyone I know that justifies their listning, is ridiculous).

Corcarpemei

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2006, 01:03 »

I will never understand what the appeal of this band is (saying "it's great to sleep/make-out to", like everyone I know that justifies their listning, is ridiculous).

Philistine! *pause* Just kidding.  I think it's an aquired taste, just like Agalloch, Mastodon, and the likes aren't palatable to me but I love me some Explosions in the Sky and GY!BE and such.  I actually listen to this kind of stuff a lot, i.e. beyond making out and sleeping.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2006, 01:15 by Corcarpemei »

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2006, 01:26 »

Explosions in the Sky are pretty cool.  They will most likely hit Minneapolis on this tour (finally), and I will most likely be at their concert.  Unless it is at First Ave. and is 18+ (which it most likely will be).  Goddammit.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2006, 18:43 »

I like bands that are well orchestrated such as Godspeed and the like, but Explosions (and bands similar them, i.e. Saxon Shore, Unwed Sailor, etc.) just seem so medial to me.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2006, 20:25 by ALoveSupreme »

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2006, 23:21 »

I can understand someone disliking them because their songs sound extremely similar to one-another. 

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2006, 01:31 »

I really liked The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, but I hope that this new album is different, and not just The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place AGAIN.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2006, 05:22 »

I really like EitS' first two records and think they're supremely good live and from what I can tell, really nice dudes too.

But GODDAMN do they need to explore some new sounds. And I don't even necessarily mean different instrumentation or songwriting styles or orchestration*, I just mean CHANGING THE SETTINGS ON THEIR AMPS. I swear to God, ever since The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place it's like they welded the knobs into place.

All I can really think about is how much better their sense of melody would get highlighted if they used something other than that one tone over and over again.

*: Of course, if you hired me to produce an album of theirs, I would hold them at gunpoint until they agreed to use some frigging acoustic guitars and piano or something in their songs.

I always feel like such a dick saying things like this though, I know they bust their ass to write and play their music and it's shitty to have some tard on the internet get all would-be-rock-critic about it. I just wish they'd broaden their spectrum a little bit.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Felix_

« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2006, 11:57 »

I like it and I love this band!

MORE!

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2006, 22:57 »

*: Of course, if you hired me to produce an album of theirs, I would hold them at gunpoint until they agreed to use some frigging acoustic guitars and piano or something in their songs.

Oh, so you want them to become Coldplay?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2006, 03:32 »

Yeah, because coldplay are the only band in existance to EVER use an acoustic guitar or piano.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2006, 08:27 »

Relax, don't get so defensive.  I'm just making fun.  You have to admit, though, the pacing for most of both bands' songs sound similar.  Ah, forget I said anything.

Merkava

« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2006, 05:08 »

They have a similarity to Coldplay only when they add some distortion to their guitars.

Oh irony.
Pages: [1]   Go Up