THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 07:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yr Favourite Local Bands  (Read 16178 times)

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Re: Yr Favourite Local Bands
« Reply #50 on: 22 Nov 2006, 16:44 »

Honestly, its been so long since I saw Arcane live, and they still haven't gotten their album out, I just plain didn't bother.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #51 on: 25 Nov 2006, 08:47 »

All these bands just about make up for the Kaiser Chiefs! I've seen most of these bands in scotland before, and the ones I haven't seen.. you should make them tour.

Only if you'll send Snowblood back down again. We miss them.

On behalf of my city I feel I should fully apologise for The Kaiser Chiefs. We didn't mean it to happen. After all, we never paid attention to them, they were just that band the funny looking guy that worked at Josephs Well did, we never knew they'd start inflicting themselves all over the place. We didn't see it coming with Forward Russia either, so we obviously haven't learned. If anyone has any advice on how to prevent these people from getting out in future, please contact Leeds city council.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
« Reply #52 on: 25 Nov 2006, 11:36 »

Unfortunately I don't know too many local bands. Haven't been to a concert in a while actually. The last band I saw and really liked was Perfect Red.
Boredom Makes You Cool.

SensoryOssuary

« Reply #53 on: 25 Nov 2006, 12:59 »

I live in Detroit. My favorite band from that area is The Dirtbombs.

Most good non-techno Michigan bands are not from Detroit, but from Ann Arbor or Ypsilanti, so here are a few:

Wolf Eyes
His Name is Alive
Saturday Looks Good to Me
MC Trashpedal

alexalexalex

« Reply #54 on: 25 Nov 2006, 17:59 »

Only if you'll send Snowblood back down again. We miss them.

Mmmm, snowblood. Those guys really don't play enough. Maybe when the next album is out?

I forgive you for the kaiser chiefs. For my part, I could have stopped snow patrol when they still lived in dundee... Oh, hindsight

Joey JoJo

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.myspace.com/punchthedj
« Reply #55 on: 25 Nov 2006, 18:10 »

I'm so glad I come from Brighton...

The Maccabees - Bloc Party/Futureheads new pretenders, bloody brilliant

The Pipettes - Big now, and the best doo-whoppy girly goodness ever

The Indelicates - Julia (formerly of The Pipettes)'s other band, they have a song called 'Waiting For Pete Doherty to Die' and it's absolutely beautiful

My Little Problem - Really Elliott Smith-like, brilliant

Restless List - Instrumental, experimental, so very danceable

Actress Hands - the good bits of britpop and pavement

British Sea Power - generally awesome. Have trees.

Brakes - Even better and made the best disco tune with 'All Night Disco Party' and did spiffing satire with the song 'Cheney', which lasts for about 10 seconds and goes 'Cheney, Cheney, Cheney...stop being such a dick'

Winteria - first band to get lumped with the label 'tweemo'. Plus, they kicked my ex out of their band, which wins them points.

This City - somewhere between Pretty Girls Make Graves, At The Drive In and The Automatic.  It makes you forgive the fact that they all have matching emo fringes.

Nick Cave (well, Hove and not Brighton, but it's near enough) - even though he's now more orange than David Dickinson under an orange light bulb

Miss Pain - arty electro scenesterish goodness

The Black Tulips - like the Dresden Dolls with more people and slightly more theatre

The Lodge - dirty indie rock n roll, they just supported Juliette and The Licks on tour and she appears to be in love with them

The Guillotines - retro blues-y rock n roll - they've just blagged a support slot to The Horrors

Dirty Social Disorder - retro stooges-y filthy rock n roll

Deadbeat Descendent - as above but more retro-y

Enid Blitz
- a couple of their members used to be in The Dawn Parade who were ace until the singer sacked everyone, so they moved to Brighton and formed an even better band

Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster - more of the town's resident scenesters/drunks than a band, but brilliantly funny live nonetheless

Electric Soft Parade - terminally underrated, so their members have formed other bands as well...

and finally..

Star Scream, who aren't strictly speaking from Brighton but a neighbouring town, but they play insanely loud blitzkrieg glamourous rock with fancy effects and brilliant songs and deserve to be heard by everyone.

So, for future reference, The Kooks are NOT Brighton's only band. And they suck noodles.

I know I'll think of millions more, but these are the best local ones that spring to mind, and they're all ace.

The Kooks suck the big one.
Two more bits of Brighton based aural goodness:

http://www.myspace.com/floorsandwalls - Floors and Walls. Think a white Dizzee Rascal fronting Rage Against the Machine.
http://www.myspace.com/redcortinas - Red Cortinas. A kind of British Sublime-esque type band.
When I asked my doctor why it hurt when I urinate, he pointed out that my penis was on fire.  I guess that's why he's the doctor.

alexalexalex

« Reply #56 on: 25 Nov 2006, 22:13 »

http://www.myspace.com/floorsandwalls - Floors and Walls. Think a white Dizzee Rascal fronting Rage Against the Machine.
http://www.myspace.com/redcortinas - Red Cortinas. A kind of British Sublime-esque type band.

red cortinas are AWESOME!!!! I can see myself getting into floors and walls too, kinda like sonic boom 6 a little.

Ok, I'm gonna extend my range a little and recommend...

Taking Chase

The 44s

My Own Religion

The Upstarts

and

Tauntra!

alexhack

« Reply #57 on: 26 Nov 2006, 21:00 »

well, i'm in tulsa oklahoma and we actually have quite a few pretty cool bands, at least regional bands are pretty good anyway, only a handful of really good ones in tulsa.  but if you're interested you should check them out, you may like them, and they rock.

scales of motion - indie rock, really good.

copy copy - post-hardcore ish with some awesome riffs.

damezumari - awesome old-school screamo type band, very diy, very awesome

operator dead:post abandoned - crazy metalcore type stuff, quite awesome

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up