THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 08:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't watch movies on my laptop.  (Read 2130 times)

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Can't watch movies on my laptop.
« on: 22 Nov 2006, 00:55 »

Just wondering if anyone might have any ideas about this situation. Seeing as I'm currently on a residential course, I would certainly appreciate being able to watch some DVDs on my laptop. However, I can't watch DVDs or downloaded movie files on my laptop. they start fine, but within a few minutes it pauses, then the sound goes completely and the picture speeds up as if it's running through in fast forward. I did seem to have some success with it over the weekend when I disabled all of the security on the laptop as I thought it may be down to the computer's protection being over efficent. However, that trick seems to have lasted only so long and now it's back to the same situation, whether the security is disabled or not.

It's a Windows laptop, and the software I'm using is simply Power Cinema, which was just part of the laptop. However, the problem occurs whether I am using power cinema, or watching a video file on windows or quicktime also for example.

Does anyone have any other ideas I might try before I resort to having it sent away to be fixed. If it turns out to be something I could fix myself I would certainly appreciate the help.
She looked me over and I guess she thought I was all right...
All right in a sort of a limited way for an off night.

Ulmassir

• Not quite a lurker
Re: Can't watch movies on my laptop.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2006, 10:01 »

Not wise with computers or anything by a longshot, but.. eh. Have you installed all the drivers for your devices like your dvd rom? Have you consulted any online FAQ's or anything like that?

I don't have much useful advice here, sorry...

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
Re: Can't watch movies on my laptop.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2006, 06:41 »

it is, in all probability, not a hardware issue.

my recommendation: completely uninstall "power cinema" and then run a registry cleaner to get rid of its leftover keys.

then install the latest version of the xvid codecs, VLC, and a DVD player. you might have to find extralegal methods for a free DVD player. or you can install the latest version of Windows Media player. I'm assuming you've got a valid product key for your windows install. otherwise, all bets are off.

http://www.videohelp.com is a helpful site.
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2006, 06:43 by dennis »
Pages: [1]   Go Up