THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crochet.  (Read 8739 times)

ComfortEagle

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Crochet.
« on: 25 Nov 2006, 09:20 »

Im teaching my self, I have a book and all, I can make a basic chain, but im not too sure where to go from there...

heather

• Emoticontraindication
Re: Crochet.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2006, 14:42 »

Practice single and then double crochet. Try to learn to make some of the stitches and learn their abbreviations so that when you come across them in a pattern, you'll know what they mean.

Probably the best way to start in my opinion. :) That's what I did with both knitting and crochet.

AcrophobicPixie

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2006, 15:04 »

are you learning UK or US stitches? Cause it can TOTALLY throw you for a loop, since UK stitches have half the height of US stitches. If you want easy patterns, Crochet! Magazine has very pretty patterns ranging from dumb blonde easy to oh my friggin god, that's hard, and has the abbreviations and quickie How to make a stitch thing in the back.

Jayde_T.

« Reply #3 on: 09 Dec 2006, 01:01 »

I agree with Heather. I've been crochetting since I was about thirteen, and I must say that the abbreviations threw me for a loop for quite some time. I do have a few suggestions, the first being: practice counting until it becomes second nature.

For example, a pattern tells you to should dc (double crochet) across to the end of a particular row, then states something like the row has 30 sts (stitches). The dc has 2 steps for pulling the yarn through, so I use counting similar to counting a tempo: 1 &; 2 & . . . 30 &. This lets you know that you haven't dropped or added stitches along the way. This is especially helpful when starting an unfamiliar project.

Hope this helps!

AcrophobicPixie

« Reply #4 on: 09 Dec 2006, 10:42 »

Stitch counters are the best invention EVAR!

Now, if I could only find where my roommates keep hiding them...

Jayde_T.

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2006, 00:05 »

Stitch counters are the best invention EVAR!

Now, if I could only find where my roommates keep hiding them...

LOL

That would be the very reason why I gave up using them, my couch kept eating them. :D

AcrophobicPixie

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:42 »

They're in their little container, or in the sweater I'm working on... But my roommates keep moving the little container, so one day it'll be on the coffee table, the next day in the bathroom... Don't ask me why. But they helped me so much on the sweater I'm working on, and my first hat.That, and they are handy if you wind a ball together of two different yarns, when you're finished winding, wrap the loose end around a spare split stitch counter a few times, and it helps keep the two strands together when you start a project, I've found. Made a fuzzy baby hat that way. Looked like a sage "classic Pooh" green and peach version of Faye's russian hat. We now quote Pintsize whenever we see the baby wearing it.

Jayde_T.

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2006, 22:00 »

LOL Maybe they just want to see how long it takes you to find them? At some point, I'll probably get myself another set, because they are useful.

eveisdawning

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2007, 19:10 »

I'm going to try to resurrect this thread, because I am an avid crocheter. (Is crocheter a word? It is now!!)

Anyway, I've been crocheting since I was in fifth grade. I am alternately obsessed and apathetic--I can never seem to make myself crochet during the summer. There's something flat-out wrong with crocheting when it's ninety degrees out. Plus, winter always makes me think of stuff-I-need-that-is-made-of-yarn. I am pretty crazy about making hats. I also makes scarves, and I made a really pretty filet crochet shawl with a pretty rose on the back.

I've made one blanket before and I'm in the middle of working on granny squares so I can make an afghan. (Pattern can be found here. Except, in the name of all that is holy, not in those colors. Mine are in gray and white.)

I might post some pictures of projects later. I just wanted to say hello and see if anyone here is still crocheting!
Without music, life would be a mistake. --Friedrich Nietzsche

majben

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2007, 20:58 »

I just learned to crochet and to knit a few weeks ago. I would like to make arm warmers. I saw a neat design for it using knitting but I'm supposed to crochet a final project. I would appricate it if someone could direct me towards a design I could use.

eveisdawning

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2007, 04:22 »

I made these pretty recently. I wasn't really a fan of the little bobbles on the hands, so I just left those out. I'm not really sure if this is what you were looking for (they're more wrist warmers than arm warmers, and they go over your hands).  When I made them, I also extended the first ch16 to a little more than that (I honestly can't remember how much more, but it doesn't really matter--it's whatever you want) so that they went a little further up my arm.  This pattern gives youa pretty nice basic idea to start from, though. If you don't like it going all the way up your hand, stop when you get to where it hooks over your thumb. Basically, play with it till you get what you want. It's not too difficult of a pattern.

A warning for the pattern: if you're like me, and you have really small hands, you might have to adjust it a little so that it's the right size. Try it on as you're doing it, or even just look at it and guess. Keep in mind that the yarn's gonna stretch a bit too as you wear it. :)

Hopefully that helps.
Without music, life would be a mistake. --Friedrich Nietzsche

lillythepink57

• Not quite a lurker
  • The borg were HOT!
« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2007, 22:03 »

Heya - ooh resurrection!
If you need help converting USA to UK terminology, here's a little hint i figured out:
USA name their stitches by number of times you yoh (yarn over hook) and pull through at the end.
eg. In a Double Crochet (dc) you yoh and pull through 2 loops twice = double
 then single is once and so on.
UK name their stitches by the number of loops on the hook before you yoh and pull though.
eg. In a Treble (tr) there are 3 loops on the hook, Double Crochet (dc) theres 2 etc.

Once you figure this out, its not too hard to get yourself in the right frame of mind for the patter. Just make sure
you figure out where the pattern was published BEFORE you start, otherwise things can get a bit messy. :-)
"We're on a mission from Glod"
Terry Pratchett - Soul Music
Pages: [1]   Go Up