THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Earth X  (Read 6418 times)

alonelyargonaut

Earth X
« on: 27 Oct 2006, 06:29 »

Has anyone been introduced to the glory that is Earth X?

They are starting to do second printings of it now, and it's great because it is now more readily available.

For those who don't know Earth X (the cycle is Earth X, Universe X vols 1 and 2, and Paradise X vols 1 and 2) is the be all end all of the Marvel Universe.  It ties everything together.  I mean literally everything!  It is nothing short of overwhelming the first readthrough.  If anyone else knows about this thing, post your thoughts.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: Earth X
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2006, 08:10 »

I know that mt local comic book shop has a copy of all of them in one big hardcover under glass

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2006, 17:15 »

yep i bought one of those!

earth x is the most amazingly ridiculous comic though.  entirely well thought out, wel executed, and complete.  there are a few spots where it gets iffy, but on the whole it is glorious

falconire

• Plantmonster
    • Supernaturals Presents
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2006, 11:57 »

I fricken loved the book. The first one was the better of the three, although to this day I wonder why blackbolt appears to be a robot when he dies. Also, John Paul Leon's artwork is the shit. And by the last book you find out that wolveirne is not a mutant after all. All in all, sweeeeet. :-)

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2006, 19:14 »

yes!  john paul leon is one of the most amazing artists ever!  but no, blackbolt is definitely inhuman, if you look you can see like bone and teeth and skin, and all. (i've read it a few times heh)  I just love the captain marvel/marvel universe concept.

CrippledVulture

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2006, 20:01 »

I often describe it to people as Marvel's version of Kingdom Come.  Convoluted as hell, but really a lot of fun.  Kingdom Come has the advantage of being much more succinct, not to mention painted in its entirety by Alex Ross.  Still, as future history comics go, Earth X is a good read.

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2006, 21:41 »

yeah i usually explain it as the marvel book of revelations come to pass.  Ross had his hand in the design and execution of Earth X, all the character designs are his, and in the really nice version of it there is a compedium of his sketchwork in the back showing all the major players.  And yeah, there is so much information crammed into it that it is convoluted, nearly impossible to guess what's coming next, and will leave you with migranes from your brain expanding trying to encompass everything

TheLanyard

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2006, 21:50 »

I know that mt local comic book shop has a copy of all of them in one big hardcover under glass

Man...I'd sure love to have that.  I can't seem to find it anywhere.  I take it it's not really for sale?

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #8 on: 01 Nov 2006, 00:50 »

it's a rare find that usually goes for between $100 and $150.

It's a black and white version of the comic (so i own the original color also because the color is just so beautiful) that is oversized, leather bound, and comes in a molded hard plastic case with all the alex ross sketches, pictures of merchandise and promotional media, footnotes, a whole ton of other apocrypha, a massive beautifully done poster (made to look like a movie) and a fairly shitty two cd set that has some computer content which is also very mediocre, and a soundtrack (which is pretty bad, i ended up making my own mix anyways

If you're lucky (like i was) you can find them on Ebay occasionally going for like $50-$60.

TheLanyard

« Reply #9 on: 01 Nov 2006, 00:52 »

Thanks for the tip.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

alexalexalex

« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2006, 06:53 »

I read earth x and right up until the end I thought (SPOILERSSSSSSSSS)

That the blonde kid was franklin richards. I got SO confused by that. I mean franklin richards goes crazy and fucks namor up, and then on the next page there's this blonde kid ruling america. Dudelikewha?

I haven't read the rest of the books though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up