THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 10:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Immortal Technique?  (Read 3935 times)

frankydizzle

Immortal Technique?
« on: 18 Nov 2005, 07:24 »

Not emo/indie/punk/metal or anything. . . he's actually a rap artist, and a damn fine one at that. Don't know how many of you out there in the interweb on this (of all) forums actually listen to the diverse music range that I do, but I've found him to be enjoyalbe, with intelligent lyrics and excellent beats.

I like music. You'd be hard pressed to find music that I don't like. . . Except for Coldplay and Incubus. I don't like them. Oh, or Hoobastank.

Other than that, throw anything at me. Pop, metal, hard rock, emo, techno, classical, opera, country, rap, R&B, so forth and so on.

I hope there are other music fans out there like me who enjoy music for music's sake.

FWD

HeroX

Immortal Technique?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2005, 07:56 »

technique is incredible. deffinitely one of the more talented rappers out there. i'm also a big fan of weerd science. not political, but some good hip hop none the less.

AdamIsConceited

Immortal Technique?
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2005, 08:18 »

So you don't like all Incubus or just recent releases?

frankydizzle

Immortal Technique?
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2005, 08:24 »

Haven't been a fan of the last two albums. . .

But if you can introduce me to some old stuff that's good, I would not object in the least :)

FWD

MilkmanDan

Immortal Technique?
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2005, 10:03 »

Technique is pretty good. He was pretty major on the battle scene, mainly due to his trademark 'stupidly complicated ways of killing you' rhymes. Most people go for the classic "I lyrically kill you / stab you / etc". Whereas he goes straight to actually murdering your family and torturing you to death. I got a bunch of freestyles and battles he did, and they're damn good.
His proper songs ain't as great. They mostly sound just like his freestyles, which I find gets a little tiring after a while. The songs where he takes a different approach are great though. "Dance with the Devil" for example. That song is dark as fuck, but it works. Some of the lines he comes out with are incredible though.

Arcen dawn

Immortal Technique?
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2005, 10:14 »

obnoxious is fucking awesome, so is most of revolutionary vol. 2 for that matter.  He came to boston recently but due to my extreme whiteness i decided not to go to the show

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
Re: Immortal Technique?
« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2006, 22:45 »

I just started listening to Technique... 10 minutes ago.  This is very good stuff

(it was recommended I start a new topic for this, since it's an old thread... I thought such an action was frowned upon.  I'll admit I'm confused)

Don't know how many of you out there in the interweb on this (of all) forums actually listen to the diverse music range that I do

This is one of the more annoyingly ridiculous statements I've ever read.  I'm guessing this guy didn't stick around.  Perhaps for the best.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2006, 10:53 »

You're apparantly extremely proud of yourself for listening to different genres of music.

But anyway, on topic. I like Immortal Technique. But I actually kind of prefer some of the slightly more mainstream alt rappers. Not necessarily as underground as Technique. Like Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def (who's gotten pretty damn big now) The Roots. Dilated Peoples I suppose still isn't very known. Except for that one song. Fugees were good too. Glad they're coming back. But ya, Immortal Technique's songs got old to me pretty quickly, I liked them, but I can't listen to them that much. Whereas I can pretty much play "Serenity In Murder" by Jedi Mind Tricks over and over again.

And of course Jedi Mind Tricks is probably my favorite rap group. And one of my favorite musical artists in general. And did anyone check out The Roots new album? Pretty amazing stuff. Oh, and Edan! Everyone should probably find a way to get your hands on Beauty and the Beat this instance cause it's pretty much an amazing piece of work.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:05 »

I personally prefer Atmosphere.  Specifically, Homework.  But hey, nothing wrong with Immortal Technique.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2006, 12:35 »

Here I was thinking this was a BM thread  :oops:

agirlnamed_aly

« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2006, 09:48 »

Technique is a great lyricist, but after a while his whole "IMAGANGSTAIMMAKILLYOU!!11ONE!" act does get tiring and outplayed.

I personally prefer Atmosphere.

I honestly love all his tracks. "Say Hey There" and "Don't Ever Fucking Question That" are two of my favorite songs.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2006, 10:48 »

Technique is a great lyricist, but after a while his whole "IMAGANGSTAIMMAKILLYOU!!11ONE!" act does get tiring and outplayed.

I personally prefer Atmosphere.

I honestly love all his tracks. "Say Hey There" and "Don't Ever Fucking Question That" are two of my favorite songs.

My favorite is Scapegoat.  give it a spin if you haven't already.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2006, 14:13 »

I hope there are other music fans out there like me who enjoy music for music's sake.

the only thing more self-righteous than this post.. is immortal technique's music. i find his music to be pretty trite and dullard. with maybe a few lines that make chuckle here and there i dont find his 7 minute rants about communism all that interesting. maybe its because i'm not from the south-west, or north-east of the USA, but I really don't care to listen to him talk about how important his message is.

atmosphere bug me too, something about slug's voice i just cant get over. white people in general shouldnt rap, they sound so angry. deep puddle dynamics are good but fall into a similar pit of using too many long words that dont mean anything but sound angry and flow together so they must be rap lyrics.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

ZeNbRaIn

« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2006, 02:34 »

Immortal Technique is obviously a fairly informed guy, although you feel perhaps not so open minded. His flow is fairly good, his message is admirable but theres something forced about his actual lyrics. It feels like someone labouring to promote their political agenda rather than expressing something they feel on a deep emotional level. And that song about rape is awful, like a bad Alice Cooper song being covered by Chuck D. If Immortal Technique wrote an essay on politics and philosophy i'd read it and discuss it as a purely intellectual thing but music should be emotional, and hearing the same conspiracy theories i've heard for the past 5 years just doesn't provoke me. It's like the guy down the pub who makes good points but bores the shit out of you and makes you want to just go play a game of pool and eat salted snack treats. If i'm feeling angry i'd rather listen to Sole, for humour and wit Buck 65 or Clouddead, just something to nod my head and have a lil smoke to i'll stick some dilated peoples, J5 or cypress hill on.

feel good lost

« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2006, 08:20 »

And of course Jedi Mind Tricks is probably my favorite rap group.

You are the man. I love Vinny Paz from JMT. If you like JMT check out Army of the Pharohs. Bunch of undergound dudes like 7L, Celph Titled, Esoteric, etc.

But on Immortal Technique - I think he is an amazing rapper especially with freestyling, but as much as he tries to support the fact that the third world countries need to rise up and all that...at times HE sounds like a communist himself. He might want to work on fixing that.

NiMRoD420

« Reply #15 on: 27 Dec 2006, 06:32 »

Listen you motherfuckers!!

Immortal Technique is the best. He's the motherfucking Immortal Technique. The dominant species. But he's not all that's going on with NYC hip hop. Check out Non Phixion, Ill Bill, anything that Necro does beats for. But especially the Non Phixion.

Also: MF Doom is essential for a healthy hip hop diet.

Jooooosh

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #16 on: 27 Dec 2006, 10:18 »

Immortal has the skill, but he doesnt have the emotional dilivery. PLus his stuff gets repetetive. Its so hard to find a good rapper that doesnt do the same shit in every song but there are a few of them out there. Im really into Eyedea fromE&A and Sage Francis at the moment.
fast-food for thought
Pages: [1]   Go Up