THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 22:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 worst bands ever.  (Read 22421 times)

The Eyeball Kid

Re: 50 worst bands ever.
« Reply #50 on: 04 Dec 2006, 17:09 »

Yeah but whats the point of writing an article with bands EVERYBODY hates? You're not going to get any discussion or people passing around the link or showing it to their friends... so no publicity. Nobody is going to defend Limp Bizkit who's halfway literate, but  put The Doors and Yes on a list and you get some debate going. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint.
The Doors backlash is pretty annoying though
and i really like 'No Rain'. it was a good song, not just a good video

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #51 on: 04 Dec 2006, 17:45 »

manowar do kindof take gayness to a new level have you seen them live they're so up themselves they're shitting out their mouths

My point is that the statement about Manowar basically equates being gay with sucking, and is quite frankly homophobic.

Also, I like the vast majority of Skinny Puppy's albums from the 90's.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #52 on: 04 Dec 2006, 18:28 »

If gay = sucks at music, that would make Queen a terrible band just 'cause of Freddy Mercury, and that's obviously not true.

Although the gay music community DOES have Lance Bass and Billy Joe Armstrong...
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #53 on: 04 Dec 2006, 18:57 »

But they also have Limp Wrist, which makes up for anything bad.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #54 on: 04 Dec 2006, 21:55 »

Is Primus that band that has one album with guest appearances from both Tom Waits and Fred Durst? 'cause thats just weird...

Well, Tom Waits does the voice of Tommy the Cat in the song "Tommy the Cat" (who'd 'a' thought it?), but I've never heard nothin' 'bout no Fred Durst motherfucker on no fuckin' Primus shit.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #55 on: 04 Dec 2006, 23:04 »

Fred Durst appears on the Anti-Pop album.

neek

« Reply #56 on: 04 Dec 2006, 23:44 »

I also find it funny that there argument for Primus was "Musicians and smart but uncool people love them, others hate them." So, people who know music like Primus you say? I will be sure to avoid them in that case. 

This implies that people who know music read Blender.

I have to agree with what Hat said: This isn't the list of worst bands. ever., but rather just a list to piss people off and bitch (hmm... journalistic trolling). So far, mission accomplished.

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #57 on: 05 Dec 2006, 00:12 »

I'm not sure why Dave Matthews Band wasn't on the list.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #58 on: 05 Dec 2006, 00:50 »

Fred Durst appears on the Anti-Pop album.

Doing what though? I mean, I figured it would have been on the Anti-pop album, seeing as he produced it, but I can't recall his voice anywhere on it.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #59 on: 05 Dec 2006, 05:20 »

My sentiments exactly.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #60 on: 05 Dec 2006, 08:41 »

But they also have Limp Wrist, which makes up for anything bad.

Weirdest morning at work ever.
Yesterday was a normal morning at work. Boring white people like John Mayer and Dave Matthews Band announced tours, along with semi-interesting white people like Ben Kweller.
But this morning I learned about Limp Wrist and the wonderful world of 'queercore' and 'gay hardcore straight edge punk'. If you're in Australia, catch Limp Wrist coming to a tiny venue near you!
I'm not homophobic, but 'queercore' belongs in the 'bad genre names' thread, and how niche is 'gay hardcore straight edge punk'?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #61 on: 05 Dec 2006, 10:12 »

Doing what though? I mean, I figured it would have been on the Anti-pop album, seeing as he produced it, but I can't recall his voice anywhere on it.

Dude, he was playing lead guitar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UQ_ZhC-1CU
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #62 on: 05 Dec 2006, 14:07 »

I'm not homophobic, but 'queercore' belongs in the 'bad genre names' thread, and how niche is 'gay hardcore straight edge punk'?

Not very, since Limp Wrist are one of the most popular fast hardcore bands on the planet and 'I Love Hardcore Boys/I Love Boys Hardcore' is a genuine floor-filler. Damn it's good to have them back.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #63 on: 06 Dec 2006, 05:29 »

whew way to show my ignorance
oh well
http://www.liveguide.com.au/liveguide_tours.html#Limp%20Wrist here's a plug for the job i'm not doing right now
woooo
my friends are probably taking me to their shows anyway

Sofia

« Reply #64 on: 06 Dec 2006, 06:19 »

Is it just me, or has anyone EVER seen an attractive ICP fan?
I have yet to see one, I'm starting to doubt their existance.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #65 on: 06 Dec 2006, 06:21 »

You know, I have never actually talked with someone who identified themselves as an ICP fan.  By that, I don't mean I ignore ICP fans, I've just never actually met someone who said they were one.

timehat

« Reply #66 on: 06 Dec 2006, 14:05 »

They had to pick a controversial stance to have any relevance.Unfortunately that stance was that prog rock sucks, which I strongly disagree with, but they were smart for taking it.
I don't think that is a controversial stance. Isn't that what stupid "non-conformist" hipsters agree on all the time? Or has that fad died down. Is prog still uncool? Does anyone know about this?

Taber

« Reply #67 on: 06 Dec 2006, 14:10 »

Dude, he was playing lead guitar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UQ_ZhC-1CU

well, geeze, no wonder they put Primus on the list then.

[quote author = timehat]
I don't think that is a controversial stance. Isn't that what stupid "non-conformist" hipsters agree on all the time? Or has that fad died down. Is prog still uncool? Does anyone know about this?
[/quote]

I'm uncool, and I like prog rock, so chances are....

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #68 on: 06 Dec 2006, 15:10 »

You know, I have never actually talked with someone who identified themselves as an ICP fan.  By that, I don't mean I ignore ICP fans, I've just never actually met someone who said they were one.

I've got a mate who's got the 'coolest' musical taste I know... he knows EVERYTHING in every genre, collects all the zines, dresses well, whatever... and he owns all 4 ICP albums. He mostly takes them out to horrify people.

He's not your average juggallo, though, unless your average juggallo wears skinny jeans and listens to queercore and weird war and Love and prog and... everything

actually, he's just a dude with some ICP albums

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #69 on: 06 Dec 2006, 17:04 »

I think it's still pretty much the hipster consensus that if you have very complex music with long songs and unusual time signatures and complex solos and whatnot then the band is obviously concentrating more on the technical than emotional side of the music and is obviously shite, despite any evidence you may present to the contrary (like pretty much every prog album I own). Of course, these criteria are completely ignored if you're listening to Jazz, because hipsters are generally possesed of a sort of self-deprecating racial awareness which has remained completely unchanged since the sixties, which basically implies that all music made by black people must be amazing and white people have got no soul. See also: defending gangsta rap whilst criticising metal for being 'cartoonish', also the obligatory presence of one Miles Davis and one Public Enemy album on every hipsters list of favourite albums (otherwise completely populated with white middle class art rock).
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2006, 17:05 by KharBevNor »
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #70 on: 06 Dec 2006, 18:07 »

I have mixed feelings about Dave Matthews Band. I love their live shit. Their live stuff is golden. But a lot of the studio stuff is utter crap. But I like some of it. But a lot of it is just plain old crap and should never be suffered by anybody.

BUT I LIKE SOME OF IT BLUGGGHGHGHGH HEAD A-SPLODE.

Rocinante

« Reply #71 on: 06 Dec 2006, 23:37 »

Mmm, I agree with some of this list, but it is terrible in some places

Rick Wakeman? No, his stuff is a little weird, but incredibly impressive. You can't expect virtuosos to play predictable, approved music.

Primus? No, they are hella crazy, but got some good stuff. See above, and apply to Claypool

Alan Parson's Project? No, some really cool stuff here. Who else has made a decent Poe concept album? No one, that's who.

Yngwie Malmsteen? Lord no, his newer stuff is crappy, but his greatest hits are very good. Maybe not overly-versatile, but man, can he make with the meedlies!

Kansas? Shut up Blender, just shut up.

the_tard

« Reply #72 on: 07 Dec 2006, 09:15 »

Lol! I was skimming through this looking for bands I knew and proudly sporting my Doors shirt when I came across the Doors themselves in the list. Didn't see that coming. They're not the best, but they certainly do not deserve to on that list. Don't diss the Lizard King man...

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #73 on: 07 Dec 2006, 09:33 »

Yngwie Malmsteen? Lord no, his newer stuff is crappy, but his greatest hits are very good. Maybe not overly-versatile, but man, can he make with the meedlies!

and, on occasion, the squeedlies.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #74 on: 07 Dec 2006, 09:35 »

See also: defending gangsta rap whilst criticising metal for being 'cartoonish'

Heyyy, is that a reference to the argument you and I had where I called Black Metal "a novelty at best?"  I'll have you know that I have since rescinded that stance.  I still don't like it that much, but I respect the artists more now.  Anyway, I did also acknowledge that gangsta rap is pretty much just a novelty.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2006, 09:41 by Flaming Ostrich »

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #75 on: 07 Dec 2006, 09:36 »

Everyone be quiet.  the_tard obviously wants us to acknowledge that Syd Barrett was some sort of genius or other.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #76 on: 07 Dec 2006, 11:59 »

If by "genius" you mean "fucking crazy raving madman", then yes. He was. As a whole, I like post-barret Floyd more than Barret-Floyd, but the two(?) albums he contributed to were pretty fucking fun.

Then again, as an acid freak, my objectivity is somewhat damaged on this topic.

Also I am kind of disappointed Rush were not on this list. I could have really gotten offended about it if they had been. As it is,the compilers just wind up looking like wankers.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #77 on: 07 Dec 2006, 12:01 »

Never liked drugs, never liked prog.

I'm not saying the two are directly related but I don't believe they're mutually exclusive.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

agirlnamed_aly

« Reply #78 on: 13 Dec 2006, 09:51 »

Everything's pretty much agreed with except for The Doors.

Even though ICP is basically the worst band to have ever existed, I still feel like Avenged Sevenfold deserves that number one spot. They are shittiest band EVER.

kallisti

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #79 on: 13 Dec 2006, 10:35 »

mmm...

1.Nickelback
2.Nickelback
3.Nickelback
4.Nickelback
5.Nickelback
6.Nickelback
7.Nickelback
8.Nickelback
9.Nickelback
10.Nickelback

That said, most people have already expressed my sentiments about a lot of the list.  Tin Machine were shit in Bowie-land, but pretty decent otherwise.  Oingo Boingo and Primus didn't suck. I saw the Spin Doctors live (lead singer sans beard) when I was 15 at the Ohio State Fair (ha).  I actually liked Toad the Wet Sprocket.  And nobody sucks as much as Nickelback.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction.

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #80 on: 13 Dec 2006, 10:56 »

They had an article for the fifty worst songs ever, which was only cool because they had Ted Leo pick five songs from their list, grab his acoustic guitar, and play them for change in New York's Union Square.? They were: "We Built This City" by Starship, "From a Distance" by Bette Midler, "I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd, "Party All the Time" by Eddie Murphy & Rick James, and "What's Up?" by 4 Non Blondes.

Is there somewhere that I can hear his version of Party all the Time? i really, really need to hear that.

Also, am I the only one here who likes the Gipsy Kings?

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #81 on: 13 Dec 2006, 13:13 »

I don't think any of his versions of those songs were ever recorded anywhere.  However, if you meet him, and he happens to have his guitar on him, maybe he'll play it if you ask really, really nicely.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #82 on: 13 Dec 2006, 15:16 »

my parents love the Gypsy Kings, so i was subjected to them for most of my life. bad stuff. 'No Rain' didn't just suceeed 'cause of the video - it was a good song/catchy song/whatever, i liked the song. so Blind Melon shouldn't be on the list. and Oingo Boingo? WTF?

cor_nocae

« Reply #83 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:11 »

They seem to have forgotten about Bon Jovi.

Rocinante

« Reply #84 on: 14 Dec 2006, 09:46 »

I didn't think Bon Jovi was that bad. But he seems like the sort that you either like somewhat, or hate immensely. I don't know any hardcore Bon Jovi fans.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2006, 22:23 by Rocinante »

kallisti

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #85 on: 14 Dec 2006, 14:13 »

I wish I didn't.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction.

Kirbo

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com
« Reply #86 on: 14 Dec 2006, 14:56 »

Of all the bands on that list I have to disagree with the inclusion of the Crash Test Dummies.

They aren't a serious band, they're just fun to listen to, and a welcome departure from most of the stuff I heard in the 90's.

Also, Blender licks nards.
"Are you really the messiah?
Yes I am." - Gord Downie

http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com/twisb.html

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #87 on: 14 Dec 2006, 15:31 »

Also, am I the only one here who likes the Gipsy Kings?

Their cover of Hotel California on the Big Lebowski soundtrack is pure genius.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #88 on: 15 Dec 2006, 06:11 »

Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" version of that song for the suck, lol amirite?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up