...unique but overrated
- 5 (15.6%)
...awful, and I don't get him
- 0 (0%)
...Tom waits for no one
- 4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tom Waits...??  (Read 5419 times)

ScrambledGregs

Tom Waits...??
« on: 03 Dec 2006, 07:47 »

Well??

Having only recently began to listen to Tom Waits, I would say he's an amazing genius. I look forward to digging through his back catalogue in the same way I remember getting hot and heavy about Bob Dylan and Captain Beefheart.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
Re: Tom Waits...??
« Reply #1 on: 03 Dec 2006, 10:20 »

I wouldn't say he's a genius, but that he's more creative than the average bear (the average musician bear, that is).  I like him, but he's a tad overrated.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #2 on: 03 Dec 2006, 11:05 »

i stole my username here from a guy who runs a Tom Waits site, who stole it from a Tom Waits character.
i think he's a genius, and i go through periods of just listening to his stuff

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #3 on: 03 Dec 2006, 11:53 »

how much i love tom waits: if he ever toured around here, i am one of the guys who would attend, dressed as tom.

if i could find the shoes, that is.

my 'favorite artists' often change on a weekly basis, but tom has been #1 for going on five years now. zoom.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #4 on: 03 Dec 2006, 13:02 »

I tend to like his earlier stuff better, before he started picking up the creepy circus vibe.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

alexalexalex

« Reply #5 on: 03 Dec 2006, 20:58 »

I'm the opposite! I don't like all the weepy ballads he does but I do love the crazy stuff and the rockin' bluesy stuff. Don't so much care for the beat poetry and jazzy stuff either. It should be noted that I love that he does it all though. Putting all that shit on one record is amazing

Soidanae

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #6 on: 04 Dec 2006, 07:59 »

I like his pre-Swordfish stuff and his post-swordfish stuff that still has musicality.

On a side note, I have Tom Waits covering "Heigh Ho".  From Snow White.

It's sick.  In the totally awesome way.
I believe these are the days of lasers in the jungle, lasers in the jungle somewhere.  Staccato signals of constant information, a loose affiliation of millionaires and billionaires, and baby, these are the days of miracles and wonders.

alexalexalex

« Reply #7 on: 04 Dec 2006, 10:05 »

That's on Orphans. Truly badass record (especially Bastards)

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #8 on: 04 Dec 2006, 15:55 »

how much i love tom waits: if he ever toured around here, i am one of the guys who would attend, dressed as tom.

if i could find the shoes, that is.

my 'favorite artists' often change on a weekly basis, but tom has been #1 for going on five years now. zoom.

We have a local band who dresses like Tom Waits and plays dancable gypsey jazz. They're called Waiting for Guiness and they're pretty good. There are also 'Tom Waits moments' on random albums, like Modest Mouse and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #9 on: 04 Dec 2006, 21:19 »

Has anybody seen that new 3-disc collection he released recently?  I saw it at one of the chain stores around town, but it was $60, so I passed on it.  I'm wondering if it's worth maybe the price of getting it used on Amazon or something.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #10 on: 04 Dec 2006, 21:52 »

It's only like 32 bucks on InSound, but it's the "regular digipak version", which probably means it doesn't have all the cool packaging.
Amazon has it for 45 bucks.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #11 on: 05 Dec 2006, 02:34 »

He's definitely unique, and often amazes me, but I find a lot of his stuff hit or miss.  I usually get what he's after (I think), it just doesn't thrill me. He does have some pretty interesting/funny/unique stuff, though.

His cover of the Seven Dwarfs song is bizarre. I like. "Step Right Up" and the like are cool, but sometimes a bit repetitive. Maybe that's the point.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Brian Majestic

« Reply #12 on: 05 Dec 2006, 03:17 »

Interestingly, I was going to post a Tom Waits Appreciation Society thread because of the following exchange with Greg Kot of the Chicago Tribune:

Q. People talk about songs being lifelines.

A. Well, they're fishing for a compliment, see.

Q. Bono thinks you can change the world with a song.

A. Who?

Q. The singer in U2.

A. Oh, right. OK. Like "Kumbaya"?

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #13 on: 05 Dec 2006, 08:45 »

Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #14 on: 06 Dec 2006, 12:24 »

Last night at the open mic poetry night i paid out the people who acted, sung, and looked like Tom Waits.
i love the guy to death, but at this point you're like a growly elvis imitator

Felix_

« Reply #15 on: 06 Dec 2006, 13:57 »

For me he's a genius who never fails to amaze. I've basically enjoyed ever single record he's ever recorded.

Brilliant musician.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #16 on: 08 Dec 2006, 07:01 »

I got "Blood Money" and I really like it. What should I go for next?
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #17 on: 08 Dec 2006, 07:39 »

I would say Swordfishtrombones or Real Gone.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #18 on: 08 Dec 2006, 20:30 »

Just because he released them simultaneously, kind of as companion pieces, I'd say 'Alice.'  If memory serves correctly, 'Alice' is the "prettier" and less twisted album, while 'Blood Money' was meant to be a little darker.  I know if I'm wrong, someone will correct me in less than three posts anyway...
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Soidanae

« Reply #19 on: 09 Dec 2006, 02:23 »

Well, Edward's got another face on the back of his head.  That's kinda twisted.
I believe these are the days of lasers in the jungle, lasers in the jungle somewhere.  Staccato signals of constant information, a loose affiliation of millionaires and billionaires, and baby, these are the days of miracles and wonders.

Half arsed ninja

« Reply #20 on: 09 Dec 2006, 03:41 »

My favourite Tom Waits song would have to "The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)".  My personal favourite albums has to be Nighthawks at the Diner and Rain Dogs

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #21 on: 09 Dec 2006, 20:03 »

My favourite Tom Waits song would have to "The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)".  My personal favourite albums has to be Nighthawks at the Diner and Rain Dogs

Oh man, I forgot about that one! Great song.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Jed

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #22 on: 09 Dec 2006, 21:38 »

I bought my first Tom Waits album (Used Songs) at last years summer and completely fell for it. It's so great. Nowadays I am missing only two of his albums. I like his early stuff the most, because it has a certain feeling to it.
"To say that Columbus discovered America is by no means inaccurate! I discover things people already knew about all the time!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up