THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 18:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend some CD Ripping software?  (Read 6203 times)

kokeyjoe

Recommend some CD Ripping software?
« on: 05 Dec 2006, 07:01 »

Hi all,
I just got a new computer a couple months ago, and lo and behold, my stack of new CDs is starting to pile up again.  They need to be ripped and put on my hard drive, post-haste!

I used to use a program called DMB Poweramp music converter or something like that, maybe dB PowerAMP, I dunno... I downloaded it a couple days ago, and the new version sucks the much.  Like, I couldn't even figure out why it wouldn't let me rip a CD.

Long story short, can anyone recommend some ripping software that'll let me easily set filenames and how many k (128k, 192k, 256k, etc.).  Having it be freeware would be great, as would having it be reliable.

Thanks!

ScrambledGregs

Re: Recommend some CD Ripping software?
« Reply #1 on: 05 Dec 2006, 07:25 »

Uhm I just use iTunes. I'm pretty sure it lets you set quality/bit rate, but I haven't futzed with it since I downloaded it, and it's been working great for me. Simple, easy, and fast.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #2 on: 05 Dec 2006, 07:31 »

I tried using iTunes before, and there was some reason I stopped using it.  I can't remember what that reason was, though...  :|

Maybe I'll download it again and try to find out, hehe.  Thanks.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3 on: 05 Dec 2006, 16:47 »

1. Get Exact Audio Copy
2. Follow the EAC Guide here.

Also, the only acceptable bitrate for mp3 is V0 VBR. (The red setting for LAME in the guide)

kokeyjoe

« Reply #4 on: 05 Dec 2006, 17:30 »

I should also mention, by the way, that this ripping is not actually for sharing.  It's just for me to cram as much of my own music on to my 20 gig mp3 player as I can manage.  So, 128k is fine for me, but the ability to switch into a higher quality is nice, when needed (for mix CDs or the occasional swap-a-roo between me and my brother).

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #5 on: 05 Dec 2006, 21:00 »

Audiograbber is what I use. It's a great program - you can choose a million different formats to rip to, bit rates, etc... You can use a variety of encoders, depending on your likes. (I use the LAME encoder, available directly on the download page.) There's also freedb support as well.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

kokeyjoe

« Reply #6 on: 06 Dec 2006, 00:13 »

I thiiiink I have used Audiograbber in my past.  Perhaps a long, long time ago.  That grabbing icon is very familiar, either something I *do* remember from my past, or some sort of repressed recurring nightmare from my childhood.  Regardless, I'll download it and give it a shot, because I don't think I've tried using that since, like, 1998 or something.  Thankee, Sai.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #7 on: 06 Dec 2006, 00:21 »

Yeah, Audiograbber here too. I quite like it. EAC sounds nice though, might try it out.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #8 on: 06 Dec 2006, 01:49 »

for mp3's of which I could care less since I don't do much ripping anyways:  Windows Media Player.  Always in 320kbps.  Otherwise, EAC.  I might check out Audiograbber...does it also transcode?  I've got some stuff I want to be able to play from my hard drive on my 360, but it doesn't take FLAC, APE, M4A, MPC, or OGG. 
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Splunkle

« Reply #9 on: 06 Dec 2006, 07:38 »

EAC may seem like any other ripping program.  Until you have a CD that no other program will rip properly because it is scratched.  Then EAC will rock your world.

Also, please, please don't use CBR. CBR is for old folks who can't figure out all this new-fangeled technology.  VBR V0 For The Fukcing Win, kay?

Will

• Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #10 on: 06 Dec 2006, 07:51 »

I've always just used Winamp.  It's nothing fancy, but I can set it up to format the ID3 tags the way I want, and I'm kind of anal about that. 
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #11 on: 06 Dec 2006, 08:00 »

EAC may seem like any other ripping program.? Until you have a CD that no other program will rip properly because it is scratched.? Then EAC will rock your world.

Also, please, please don't use CBR. CBR is for old folks who can't figure out all this new-fangeled technology.? VBR V0 For The Fukcing Win, kay?

V0 goes between which bitrates?  I can hear the difference between a 192-320kbps variable and a straight 320kbps constant, which is why I always pick constant.  And I can just barely tell the difference between 320kbps constant and FLAC/WAV.  So I always opt to rip the sharper version, regardless of file size.

And EAC does work miracles on scratched CDs, I can attest to that.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 06 Dec 2006, 22:22 »

Yeah, any suggestions for transcoding? I have some m4a that I wanna flip into mp3, suggestions? (Audiograbber only does wav to mp3 conversion, unfortunately.)
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #13 on: 06 Dec 2006, 22:52 »

Hmm... I have a program on my home computer that I use for transcoding... Lemme see if I can google it to remember what it is.

Ease Audio Converer

"Ease Audio Converter is a powerful audio converter, which can convert audio formats MP3, WAV, WMA, OGG, AAC, APE, FLAC, MP4, M4A, MPC(MusePack), AC3, ofr(OptimFROG), SPX(Speex), and WavePack from one to another. It can convert from MP3 to WAV and OGG, and WAV to MP3 and WMA. It has a recording function that allows you to record from line-in (cassette, LP, etc.) streaming audio, or any other source available on your system ."

Shareware allows 5 songs at once; $25 for the full version.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Will

« Reply #14 on: 06 Dec 2006, 23:15 »

I think I have the most ass-backwards way of converting from m4a to mp3...I'll use Nero to make an ISO file simulating an audio CD with the m4a's, mount it to my virtual drive, and then rip the "disc" with Winamp.  Takes me a little bit of time, but it works.  Gross over-complications FTW!!
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

FireStarter

« Reply #15 on: 07 Dec 2006, 05:01 »

Here, not only will I give you some good ones, but I'll give them to you free....Do you PirateBay? yes I do.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
« Reply #16 on: 07 Dec 2006, 08:17 »

Dimmukane: V0 targets 245Kbit/s and ranges between 220-260Kbit/s. I find it basically indistinguishable from 320Kbit/s CBR in 99.999% of cases.

Supersheep, 10101110: Mediacoder would work very well for what you're doing.

Brief Guide:

1. Add your files/directory (top left)
2. Choose your output directory (top right)
3. Choose the Audio tab (bottom left)
4. Set Source as Mplayer, Encoder as LAME MP3
5. Set your LAME settings (bottom right)
6. Click Start.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #17 on: 07 Dec 2006, 17:45 »

Jenno, that's a great avatar.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #18 on: 07 Dec 2006, 21:55 »

Dimmukane: V0 targets 245Kbit/s and ranges between 220-260Kbit/s. I find it basically indistinguishable from 320Kbit/s CBR in 99.999% of cases.

I guess I've got sensitive ears.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #19 on: 07 Dec 2006, 22:30 »

Jenno FTW! Thankee for that! (Thanks also to Mberan, but I like my programmes free.)
The speakers on my laptop are pretty crap, so I can't even tell the difference between 128 and 192, let alone anything else.

Will

« Reply #20 on: 07 Dec 2006, 22:48 »

I think I have a mild case of OCD or something when it comes to music; I have no problem playing m4a, or wma files, I just get irritated whenever i have two or three different file types in my music folder.  This has nothing whatsoever to do with audio quality of one over the other, I think I just like the way that "*.mp3" looks or something...

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #21 on: 07 Dec 2006, 23:34 »

I think I have a mild case of OCD or something when it comes to music; I have no problem playing m4a, or wma files, I just get irritated whenever i have two or three different file types in my music folder.  This has nothing whatsoever to do with audio quality of one over the other, I think I just like the way that "*.mp3" looks or something...

heh.  I use foobar2000, it uses the same icon in different colors for different file types.  So I'd actually like to dl something that has one song in one file type, one song in another, so i can have a magical rainbow folder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up