THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: City Of Heroes / Villains ?  (Read 4339 times)

Sideways

City Of Heroes / Villains ?
« on: 09 Jan 2006, 07:58 »

I used to play the shit out of City of Heroes... got tired of it, wanted something deeper, got into WoW.  Now I don't have the time for something deeper, and want to get back into a faster-paced MMO.  I know that City of Villains is out now, and I wanted to know what everyone thought?

Has anyone played it?  Is it good?  Is it bad?  What's new?

As for CoH, the last free 'expansion' I was present for was the 'Arena' and PvP combat.  I beta-tested it, and then when that release went live, I stopped playing.  What has come out since?  Any new hero archetypes (other than the Kheldians)?

Thanks for any info!

sultanofsuds

« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2006, 10:13 »

I tried CoV, and to be honest I am pretty impressed.  It has five new classes unlike those in CoH.  As well there is a different contact gaining system where you get new contacts by doing missions.

Some new features in both games include super bases PvP zones (areas that both heroes and villains can enter) some polishing up of the character creation screens, and a combined rate for playing both CoH & CoV (ie if you have one, you don't have to pay any extra monthly fees to play the other.)

However they also included enhancement diversification, which reduces the effectiveness of enhancements if the bonus they grant reaches above a certain point.  (ie bonuses above 70% are slightly reduced, bonuses above 100% are severely reduced.)  It's supposed to encourage people to avoid putting only one or two types of enhancements on a power, and to spread their enhancement slots more evenly.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!:)

Peet

• Curry sauce
  • The Second Gabber
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2006, 10:31 »

I play the shit out of City of Heroes (Defiant server, name of Baruk). I got City of Villains because it lets you make a base with your supergroup, and I was pretty disappointed with it.

What's good is that the locations, costumes and mission maps are more detailed.

What's bad is that it's very laggy, largely due to the above.

What's new? Nothing much, really. The powersets are basically the same with the addition of a couple of new ones (plant control and thorn shooting) and a new archetype, the mastermind, who can summon minions to fight for him. This means that literally half the server is a mastermind. The maps are fancier, there's some new baddies (although we still have some of the old ones; Hellions, Skulls) but it plays like a community mod of CoH. I don't play it much.
Quote from: Slick
I think Astaldo should be the next Dr. Who

Sideways

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2006, 15:46 »

I'm really enjoying it so far... a vast improvement over City of Heroes.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2006, 16:08 »

if I weren't already a slave to EVE, CoH/CoV would DEFINITELY be my MMO of choice...
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
Re: City Of Heroes / Villains ?
« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2006, 01:40 »

Holy crap this thread is old. o.o
Here's a bump :-D

I play City of Heroes, not so much Villains.. Don't get me wrong, they added alot of great graphics and cool missions.. but the powers in villains dont seem as balanced or at least they dont seem to have a direct point on a team.

Like on Heroes, you've got a Defender, who's sole job is to protect the team, buffs/debuffs. Not much dmg.
On Villains you've got a Corruptor who's primary is dmg, but it sucks, and it's secondary is buffs/debuffs. So it really doesnt make sense. It's no where near Blaster dmg, but it's basically a blaster/defender. I dont get it, but then it's not my cup of tea.

On Heroes, I play on Champion. My main character is an ice/ice blaster. Ive had him for about a year and a half, and change.

Issue 8 is about to hit.. I'm pretty excited. Not so much for issue 8, but mostly because it means issues 9 and 10 are that much closer - Glee :-D!

With I8 we get Police Band radio mission + safeguard missions (where we stop vandals from destroying Paragon City, and robbing banks) which should be cool.
We'll also get a complete do-over for the Faultline zone.. which I saw on the test server, and it's awesome. Like a mix between Founders Falls, and the Hollows.. kinda.

We'll also be getting Veteran Rewards which retroactively reward players for having paid for their account.
Every 3 months of paid (and played) time, you'll get a new goodie, like respecs, Wings, trenchcoats, samurai armor, non-combat pets.. unslottable inherent powers. Just some snazzy stuff.

Now, what I'm really psyched about will be issue 9. With that comes the new Inventions system, which will give us special enhancements for our powers (kind of like hamidon origin enhancements) Like.. instead of just a Damage enhancement, it'll be Dmg/Accuracy.. or even things like Dmg/Acc + Chance of Psionic Damage, or +Chance for Lethal DoT.
There's an invention enhancement for every type of normal enhs, including flight speed, teleport, etc.
They will cost both Invention salvage, and influence.. and it seems we're also getting a consignment building- Wenthworths. Think the Auction House from FFXI.

Now before you get all "But CoH was great cuz theres no Player Based Economy! DOOM"
remember that in other games with a "PBE" if you will, you can't buy that armor, or that weapon unless someone else made it, or you make it yourself. There's just no place to get it.. so therefore you must partake in the PBE.
In CoH you'll still have normal enhancement stores. You wont be forced to have to deal with the Auction House. So.. just like the way they implemented PVP, it's purely your choice.

Issue 9 to 11 seem to be about unfolding a new story arc within the game.
It looks like the flooding of Faultine has to do with some strange Moon anomoly.. and Rocket pads seem to be getting constructed. Coincidence? I think not.
I'm getting my hopes up for a Moon zone o.o

Also they've explained before that we're getting a new power set for each Archetype.
A few new Epic Archetypes (which will be unlockable via Trials)

In my honest opinion.. it seems like now is a really good time to be in City of Heroes :-D
Boredom Makes You Cool.

automorphist

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2006, 14:49 »

Time for some self-indulging promo of me, server Defiant Character Nephillim supergroup generic supergroup 101.

Look me up  :mrgreen:

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2006, 02:23 »

Lol.
Why'd you guys get Generic'd?
Boredom Makes You Cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up