THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 04:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Templar, Arizona  (Read 2458 times)

salada

• Curry sauce
Templar, Arizona
« on: 11 Dec 2006, 05:30 »

Templar, Arizona, written+drawn by Spike (That'll link to the newest page, or there's a TOC here). I think this comic deserves a mention here. It's a recent favourite of mine -- I found it through one of the Project Wonderful banners on QC (which are often kinda interesting, and quite frankly I'm more likely to click on them than the big ones) -- and is made of awesome.

It's a wacky kind of alternate-reality slice-of-life comic, which updates 2 or 3 times a week. I love the attention to detail in the art and the effort that's obviously gone into creating a complete 'world' for the comic (subcultures, brand names, environmental stuff, etc etc). Characters are great too.

It's been mentioned on the forums here once before, but only in passing. Anyone else read it?

Shishio

Re: Templar, Arizona
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2006, 07:35 »

I've read some of it.  The art is incredible, and the story is decent.

Ally

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2006, 04:24 »

I love this comic a whole lot. I actually disagree with you, Shishio; I think the writing and the story is one of the reasons I like it so much. Spike basically created a whole city with a really unique culture. I remember reading somewhere in an article about it that the writing is so convincing, that people were trying to remember what Copy Shops were. Copy Shops are, in the story, like a place for publishing your own books - and I realized myself that I hadn't figured out that she had created them. I thought they were real, and I vaguely remembered hearing about them from somewhere.

Basically, I think that it is a very good marriage of visual and written storytelling. To me, that is what a really good comic should do; rely both on art and writing to make a point.

So check it outttt. But start from the beginning, it gets pretty confusing (lots of characters to keep track of).

Shishio

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2006, 20:26 »

Well admittedly, I have only read a little of it, and I do intend to catch up some day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up