THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 00:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The RIAA baffles me...  (Read 3081 times)

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
The RIAA baffles me...
« on: 12 Dec 2006, 08:55 »

My friend IM'd me this story from Punknews.org.  Apparantly, the RIAA is, at the same time, pushing to "lower artist royalties" while also trying to encourage people not to download music illegally?!?!?  I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this - let's take the only reason for people to still actually buy music - ie, they want to support the artists - and run right over that, then try to convince people that they shouldn't pirate?  It confuses me how these people still think that they're actually doing any good for the industry...morans...your thoughts?
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

jcknbl

Re: The RIAA baffles me...
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:26 »

Uh, the logic is record companies want to make more money.

camelpimp

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:53 »

This may be unorginal, but...

Saying the RIAA is a horrible, hypocritical organization is akin to saying Hitler wasn't a great guy.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:02 »

In other words, fucking obvious?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:08 »

And an understatement.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2006, 12:52 »

And similar to the title of three or four Anal Cunt songs.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2006, 12:53 »

I went back in time and pushed over an old lady on the way to the voting booth to cast my vote for Hitler?

(Note: lyric might not be exactly correct)
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2006, 14:02 »

Mechanical royalties currently are out of whack with historical and international rates. We hope the judges will restore the proper balance by reducing the rate and moving to a more flexible percentage rate structure so that record companies can continue to create the sound recordings that drive revenues for music publishers.

By more flexible percentage rate structure they mean a structure in which they are able to bend the artist over and forcibly enter their hind quarters.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2006, 19:58 »

^^
With objects the size of aerocopters.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2006, 20:19 »

Uh, the logic is record companies want to make more money.

I understand this...I'm just saying I can't bring myself to figure out how they think that this is going to decrease 'illegal' downloading.  I know there are a lot of fence-sitters; hell, on this forum in an earlier thread, we had the discussion of "why would you buy cd's anyway"...I'm saying that for those of us who still have this naive, deluded view that paying for music actualy helps the artist, this is not going to make a convincing argument for that case...

Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Spinless

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2006, 20:54 »

They don't. They think that they'll just sue more people until somebody has actual control of the internet.
 See, my biggest fear is somebody controlling the internet. I read earlier about newspapers, or 'waste papers' wanting to restrict news websites because they're destroying sales.
The RIAA is evil, they'll fuck innocent people in the ass and NOTHING can be done about it. Just sit tight and pucker up when it's your turn. It'll cost you less money if you settle.
Hopefully, over here in the UK the people in charge won't let things get THAT silly.

Brian Majestic

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2006, 21:34 »

Well this is clearly going to help the majors from losing bands to the increasingly-relevant independent labels.

jcknbl

« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2006, 00:22 »

I understand this...I'm just saying I can't bring myself to figure out how they think that this is going to decrease 'illegal' downloading.  I know there are a lot of fence-sitters; hell, on this forum in an earlier thread, we had the discussion of "why would you buy cd's anyway"...I'm saying that for those of us who still have this naive, deluded view that paying for music actualy helps the artist, this is not going to make a convincing argument for that case...

And you're obviously right about that- it clearly will encourage downloaders. And thats the thing corporations never care about anything down the line. All they care about are this quarter's profit margins. They'll even sacrifice profits 5 years from now in exchange for a few point jump in the stock market.

(obviously there are your exceptions but this is the basic logic of corporations.)

Raven_1959

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2006, 03:26 »

I'm surprised no-one's noticed this:
... so that record companies can continue to create the sound recordings that drive revenues for music publishers.
Far be it from me to jump to conclusions, but isn't it the artists that make the music?  Really sums up the RIAA.

kompan

• Not quite a lurker
  • Go away or I will replace you with a shell script.
« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2006, 03:48 »

Naaaah, you understand it all wrong!
Artists are like tax payers: they don't need all the money they earned, and a special organization has to take care of the rest of it. Of course building such organizasion to help those people managing their money generates huge costs, which have to be recompensated with higher fees... and at the end of this, organization is already a powerful independent being itself, and noone even remembers, what was the reason to create it in the first place.
Regards,  Kompan.  (|^.^|)        iMac G3      Mini G4     Civic 1.4
Pages: [1]   Go Up