THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 06:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Great bands you don't care for?  (Read 83216 times)

NiMRoD420

Re: Great bands you don't care for?
« Reply #250 on: 27 Dec 2006, 23:14 »

Well I enjoy an honest music discussion as much as the next chap, but I try to enjoy myself as well. If people don't get me, I don't mind. I realize that I've just randomly shown up here without an introduction. Basically I'm just a bored Customer Service Representative with internet access. Been reading QC for awhile but never bothered to check out the forums before yesterday.

But everyone has to stand up for their favorite band when they're under assault, no? I'm just really tired of hearing the same old trash arguments against Tool when it's pretty clear to me that the people who spout them haven't really listened to the band fairly.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #251 on: 28 Dec 2006, 02:46 »

How the fuck do you listen to a band "fairly"

It's like when people tell me something is an "acquired taste", they mean that I am going to have to fucking MAKE myself enjoy it through sheer force of will. What a fucking crock. If a person listens to a band and doesn't like them, they're under no obligation to discover the wonderous world of Tool or whatever fucking band we're talking about.

For example there are not enough fucking drugs in the world to help me enjoy Impaled Nazerene. However, if someone here told me I just "hadn't given them enough of a chance" I would crack the shits, because I have listened to a decent chunk of their discography and I just think they're shit. The reasons I have for doing so are no more or less legitimate  than the reasons people don't like Tool.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #252 on: 28 Dec 2006, 02:52 »

Oh come on man, there aren't drugs that could make someone NOT like Armageddon Death Squad.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #253 on: 28 Dec 2006, 04:09 »

While we're on the topic of impossible bands to defend, how about that Deadsy? They released a new album, you know. The guy from KoRn called it "important music."
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #254 on: 28 Dec 2006, 06:07 »

HAIL JOHNNY

SAVER OF THREADS
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #255 on: 28 Dec 2006, 06:32 »

You know, I was just looking for some Deadsy stuff on youtube, and I came across this acoustic performance.

Guys, this is better than a lot of indie stuff I can think of.

Also, this is what they sound like normally apparently: The Key to Gramercy Park. Okay, the video looks like straight guys pretending to be Culture Club, but, well, the music ain't that bad. Crushingly unoriginal, but I can think of far, far, far more obnoxious bands. Like...well, KoRn. Limp Bizkit. Many of their peers, in fact. They're just an Orgy/Celldweller/Zeromancer rip off with bad dress sense.

Not that Orgy, Celldweller or Zeromancer had good dress sense.

But, what I'm saying is, basically, as someone who would still count themselves as a fan of Deathstars and Zeromancer, I cannot honestly proclaim hate against this. Lets all find a worst band in the world we can agree on.

Gentlemen you know who I mean.

[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #256 on: 28 Dec 2006, 06:36 »

still count themselves as a fan of Deathstars

There's your problem right there.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #257 on: 28 Dec 2006, 07:57 »

still count themselves as a fan of Deathstars

There's your problem right there.

Come off it, Deathstars are brill. They're cheesier than Marilyn Manson (an achievement in itself) and musically superior to boot. They're just a fun band, plus, if it ever bores you, you can always think to yourself that the drummer played on The Somberlain and Storm of the Light's Bane, and the whole thing just takes on a whole new dimension. I don't think they're some sort of Gods of music or whatever, but then again, I'm pretty fucking sure they don't either. I'm sick to death of people telling me its wrong to like cheese like Cradle of Filth and Deathstars, and then going off and ranting about how much they like Michael Jackson or the new Justin Timberlake record.

That said, I just remembered my ex burned me a copy of the new Cradle of Filth. Time to disable my audioscrobbler plugin and indulge.

timehat

« Reply #258 on: 29 Dec 2006, 02:24 »

Wonderwall, in defiance of all human logic, being made worse.
God...I used to respect Italy for its music.

Anyway, there are a ton of bands that are either "classic" or really well-respected in various genres I enjoy that I either totally hate or just don't really like:

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Slayer
Green Day
RHCP
Dream Theater
ELP
Pink Floyd
Dillinger Escape Plan
Pavement
Nomeansno

etc, etc

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #259 on: 29 Dec 2006, 04:00 »

Have we argued and fought enough in this thread yet??

If not, let's start again: you're a fucking idiot if you don't like Pavement. And I mean that literally. Only dumb people don't like Pavement.

NiMRoD420

« Reply #260 on: 29 Dec 2006, 04:31 »

Pavement is cool. Er, was. Still is. Damn the articles.

How to listen to a band fairly:

1. Get a whole album, at least, if not the available discography.
2. Crank it the fuck up and play it.
3. Actively listen to it, do not just let it be background noise.

Alternate method:

1. Go see them live.
2. See them.

That's how you get yourself a nice shiny "Fair listener" gold star.

Sheesh!

If the person in question still doesn't like the band, then it can be relegated to a matter of taste and by all means let fly with the ridicule.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #261 on: 29 Dec 2006, 04:42 »

If you don't like a band, why would you pay to go see them live? If there's logic there, I can't see it.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

NiMRoD420

« Reply #262 on: 29 Dec 2006, 04:48 »

Those wacky Brits.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #263 on: 29 Dec 2006, 04:56 »

If you don't like a band, why would you pay to go see them live?

Support acts? That said I can't really think of a single band that I've discovered through a live show.

Okay, scratch that, I can't think of a single band that I've discovered through a live show that I still liked when I played their demo in the morning and I was sober.

NiMRoD420

« Reply #264 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:03 »

I didn't realize how much I liked Queens Of The Stone Age until I saw them live. And I never knew that Kyuss or Mark Lanegan even existed until I I realized how much I liked QOTSA.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #265 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:05 »

Okay, scratch that, I can't think of a single band that I've discovered through a live show that I still liked when I played their demo in the morning and I was sober.

Swing Metal with werewolf based lyrical themes seemed like such a fucking brilliant idea when I was drunk.

Sober, not so much.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #266 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:13 »

Really? I discovered two really good opening acts at one show show earlier this year, and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. If I think enough about it I can probably find a whole lot of bands that I enjoy precisely because I saw them open for someone else.

Also Deadsy are incredibly fucking terrible. In fact I am willing to say they are on par with Insane Clown Posse, because at least the Insane Clown Posse's ideas of grandeur aren't complete delusions. Deadsy are like the insane homeless man who believes he's the king of Spain and pees on your ankle every time you go into the park. Meanwhile the Insane Clown Posse also believe they are the king of Spain but at least they're in the asylum; everyone knows about them, nobody takes them seriously, they are utterly harmless and everyone in the asylum calls them "your highness" and believes it so they've really acheived all they want. Deadsy are on the loose.

Oh, and

I'm sick to death of people telling me its wrong to like cheese like Cradle of Filth and Deathstars, and then going off and ranting about how much they like Michael Jackson or the new Justin Timberlake record.

Michael Jackson produced two positively classic records in Thriller and Bad, while Timberlake's new album is an immaculately-produced collection of subversively-written pop opuses. Calling them "cheesy" would be flying in the face of popular opinion, the critical establishment, the large chunk of the independent community which has embraced these records and general good taste.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2006, 05:17 by Johnny C »

NiMRoD420

« Reply #267 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:16 »

ICP's early stuff is fucking funny. Seriously funny!

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #268 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:26 »

Also Deadsy are incredibly fucking terrible. In fact I am willing to say they are on par with Insane Clown Posse, because at least the Insane Clown Posse's ideas of grandeur aren't complete delusions. Deadsy are like the insane homeless man who believes he's the king of Spain and pees on your ankle every time you go into the park. Meanwhile the Insane Clown Posse also believe they are the king of Spain but at least they're in the asylum; everyone knows about them, nobody takes them seriously, they are utterly harmless and everyone in the asylum calls them "your highness" and believes it so they've really acheived all they want. Deadsy are on the loose.

I cannot believe how good this analogy is.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #269 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:29 »

Strong boarding, Johnny...that was a great analogy.  Although the reference to San Diego and "your highness" makes me think of the book "Bloodsucking Fiends" by Christopher Moore...you haven't read that, have you?
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

NiMRoD420

« Reply #270 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:35 »

Reference to San Diego?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #271 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:39 »

Michael Jackson produced two positively classic records in Thriller and Bad, while Timberlake's new album is an immaculately-produced collection of subversively-written pop opuses.

All opinion isn't it? You might pursuade me with the MJ, but, seriously, Timberlakes record is shit. Everything he's ever done his shit. The only passable thing about the man in terms of a musical star is his choreography. He was also savvy enough to get some big name producers on his latest record (although you wouldn't necessarily notice) and has been lucky enough to get picked up as one of the albums of the year that supposed to prove the populist credentials of the music press. That said, I do remember one brilliant, I think it was in a paper, review of (I think just) the single that basically said that Justin Timberlake is about as hot as a liquid nitrogen enema and that the idea that he has some control of the commodity of 'sexy' is as insulting as his bland vocal delivery and uninspired beats.

You seriously think Deadsy are worse than ICP? Man I cannot even understand that value judgement. Yeah, they're not a good band, but fuck, have you heard ICP? First thing I could grab off Youtube. Or KoRn. Limp Bizkit? Even in the same 'genre' Deadsy aren't anywhere near rock bottom. Bear in mind this is an objective judgement I'm making having not heard them before yesterday. Yes, their costumes and pretensions and what not are ridiculous, but so are those of many other artists, not all of them by any means nu-metal, or whatever. MF Doom or the Animal Collective wear masks and hipsters love it, these guys wear different coloured clothes and suffer scorn? Good on them for trying something like that, even if it is half-assed and juvenile, and I've seen a lot worse to be honest. Your analogy isn't great because, to be frank, this is just an average industrial rock band with a small devoted fan-club and delusions of grandeur. Wow. Hold the presses. Musics gonna DIE.  :roll: 

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #272 on: 29 Dec 2006, 08:12 »

Although the reference to San Diego and "your highness" makes me think of the book "Bloodsucking Fiends" by Christopher Moore...you haven't read that, have you?

I haven't! Is it good? I am looking for reading right now because I made the damn fool mistake of lending away both Lolita and Vernon God Little.

Not only have I heard ICP, I've played their shit-terrible Backyard Wrestling video game which is laden with their likeness and their songs, but as obnoxious as they are I find Deadsy worse. KoRn turned into a band of such self-parody - their guitarist quitting because he found Jesus? that video which didn't get released because the frontman eats his poo? the awkward episode of some celebrity show on VH1 where he shows off Jeffrey Dahmer's car and declares his intention to open a serial killer museum? the part where he calls Deadsy (and this is key, so pay attention) important music? - that you can only laugh at them. They are not the worst band. Limp Bizkit are serious business but this isn't 1999 so nobody really gives a shit about Limp Bizkit. They're not releasing records, and everyone has agreed for a while that they are absolutely terrible. Despite the child-touching lyrics, ridiculous mission statement about how their lead singer whose name is P. Blue Exeter or some stupid garbage (and, by the way, is the demon-seed of Cher and Her Husband Before Sonny Bono) represents "academia," Deadsy still have complete fools like the gentleman from Korn calling their stuff "important music" and one of the guys from Duran Duran playing on their album. Whereas your examples have faded (rightfully) into obscurity, Deadsy have nowhere to go but up. This is what makes it important that we recognize them as ridiculously bad tripe right now.

And seriously, the only way you guys can say that the new Justin Timberlake album is bad is if your ears are completely broken. I've done you the service of making a couple of Google Searches that might help you out.

NiMRoD420

« Reply #273 on: 29 Dec 2006, 08:17 »

Muwahaha. Spicy.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #274 on: 29 Dec 2006, 08:58 »

And seriously, the only way you guys can say that the new Justin Timberlake album is bad is if your ears are completely broken. I've done you the service of making a couple of Google Searches that might help you out.

Or perhaps if, you know, we genuinely thought of it as uninspired, middle-of-the-road, self-important horse shit? Hell, Justin Timberlake can actually do better than this. I blame Timbaland.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #275 on: 29 Dec 2006, 09:01 »

and one of the guys from Duran Duran playing on their album.

How is that in any way a bad thing?

I would comment on that single one of their songs, but one of my favourite albums has a song called 'Preteen Deathfuck' on it. I presume they're probably singing from someone elses perspective.

The thing is, I don't even like this band, I wouldn't listen to them, probably, but they are so, so far removed from being the worst band ever it's just ridiculous. I'm just going to jump in to the Portal of Evils music section and take two links.

http://www.bylliremixed.8k.com/

http://www.portalofevil.com/single.php?poeurlid=32712

Seriously, Deadsy isn't such a tragedy.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #276 on: 29 Dec 2006, 09:09 »

Or perhaps if, you know, we genuinely thought of it as uninspired, middle-of-the-road, self-important horse shit? Hell, Justin Timberlake can actually do better than this. I blame Timbaland.

(actually the record should show i really have nothing against subjective opinion, if you didn't like justin timberlake that's fine - my evaluation of it says "good album" but you aren't me!)

(however if timbaland would maybe stop trying to sing the hook in every song he likes)

Khar I'm clearly not going to convince you, but that Duran Duran guy's appearance is a bad thing because it starts to lend them credibility. The nu-metal guys have faded into obscurity but Duran Duran have kitschy name recognition, nostalgia, a couple of classic tunes and twenty years which give them some cultural currency. The last thing Deadsy should have is credibility.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #277 on: 29 Dec 2006, 09:29 »

(actually the record should show i really have nothing against subjective opinion, if you didn't like justin timberlake that's fine - my evaluation of it says "good album" but you aren't me!)

(however if timbaland would maybe stop trying to sing the hook in every song he likes)

Actually the record should show that you said

the only way you guys can say that the new Justin Timberlake album is bad is if your ears are completely broken.

That sounds like an attempt at stating subjective opinion as objective fact to me. Of course, it's quite obviously done in jest, so I don't even know why I'm arguing the point. I guess it's just fun.

Like I said, I think Justin Timberlake has the potential to make albums that can be described like you describe Futuresex/Lovesounds, but FS/LS, is not it.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #278 on: 29 Dec 2006, 09:32 »

The last thing Deadsy should have is credibility.

Why not?

magdalena

« Reply #279 on: 29 Dec 2006, 09:48 »

my biggest problem is that i'll make a stand and say "I don't like this band" then i find that i like a song by them.  such as Dave Matthews Band.  i hated them, then i heard 'american baby' and was like 'wow, i like that song' and found out it was dave matthews.  also, i don't like the stones, but if someone covers a stones song, i like it.  its very weird.  i guess i just dont like mick jagger's voice.

so i try to give most bands a fair shot and just say i dont like certain songs.  because half the time i change my mind and then i look like a hypocrite.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #280 on: 29 Dec 2006, 09:53 »

Of course, it's quite obviously done in jest, so I don't even know why I'm arguing the point. I guess it's just fun.

Which is actually the main reason I come in here. Hi-five.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #281 on: 29 Dec 2006, 10:06 »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #282 on: 29 Dec 2006, 10:20 »

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #283 on: 29 Dec 2006, 10:56 »

NiMRoD420

« Reply #284 on: 29 Dec 2006, 11:43 »

Buffonerous Hi-fivery

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #285 on: 30 Dec 2006, 01:57 »

Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

NiMRoD420

« Reply #286 on: 30 Dec 2006, 02:26 »

WNBA? This is going too far. A high-five is supposed to between a man and another man.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #287 on: 30 Dec 2006, 02:41 »

« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2006, 03:03 by KharBevNor »

NiMRoD420

« Reply #288 on: 30 Dec 2006, 02:44 »

Touche. Where's my photoshop when I need it?

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #289 on: 30 Dec 2006, 02:45 »

So I guess this thread proves that Pavement is the greatest band ever because nobody argued my point. Bonerz.

NiMRoD420

« Reply #290 on: 30 Dec 2006, 02:49 »

Here's some...

And some more...

Ooh! This pavement's not doing so well.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #291 on: 30 Dec 2006, 03:59 »

WNBA? This is going too far. A high-five is supposed to between a man and another man.

Jeez man, it's just college hoops.  It's not like they're getting paid. 

NiMRoD420

« Reply #292 on: 30 Dec 2006, 04:37 »

Still! It degrades legit high-fives everywhere. We need to ammend the constitution to ban sissy-fives.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #293 on: 30 Dec 2006, 07:35 »

So I guess this thread proves that Pavement is the greatest band ever because nobody argued my point. Bonerz.

One could assert that nobody argued the point because nobody cares enough about Pavement either way to bother saying a single word on the topic.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #294 on: 30 Dec 2006, 07:39 »

My little cousin is a tiny 5 year old and I bet she gives better high-fives than the majority of you sissies.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #295 on: 30 Dec 2006, 08:06 »

One could assert that nobody argued the point because nobody cares enough about Pavement either way to bother saying a single word on the topic.

I only seem to hear of Pavement as the punchline to jokes about indie. I seriously can't recall anyone, either online or offline, ever actually talking about their music, recommending them or even commenting about them as a band.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #296 on: 30 Dec 2006, 08:58 »

Same here, nor have I ever heard a Pavement song, and I'm not sure I know anyone who has.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #297 on: 30 Dec 2006, 10:09 »

That's because the people you know or have met are idiots with no taste.  :wink:

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #298 on: 30 Dec 2006, 11:16 »

I like Pavement alright.  Radiohead is better, though.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #299 on: 30 Dec 2006, 11:48 »

That's the most backhanded praise I've ever heard.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up