THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 04:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Handmaid's Tale  (Read 3770 times)

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
The Handmaid's Tale
« on: 12 Nov 2006, 16:37 »

. . . by Margaret Atwood. Just finished reading it. Anyone else read it? (Or, at a stretch, seen the movie?)

Seems like a book worthy of discussion.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Re: The Handmaid's Tale
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2006, 20:49 »

I've read it. But it was a while ago, so if I were to make an attempt at discussing it, I'd need something to go on in terms of reminding me what went on in it.

I recall being disappointed by the ending, although the book itself was good.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2006, 03:53 »

Which aspect of the ending, the ending of the novel itself or the "historical notes" appendix?

I thought the ending of the novel itself was fine, it's certainly not the only novel or story to end on such an ambiguous note. But the appendix fudged the issue a bit - while it was amusing to read, it seemed to be almost as if Atwood was saying "But really it's okay, I got a bit dark in this novel but it all ends happily eventually." Which weakened the impact of the novel for me, somewhat.

hoax

• Plantmonster
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2006, 05:27 »

I have read the book MANY times and seen the movie!  Margaret Atwood is one of my favorite writers.

I do see what you guys are saying about the ending.  But here's my question:  If you think it's unsuitable, how would you have ended the book?
"Don't worry, I don't have low self-esteem.  It's a mistake.  I have low esteem for everyone else."
--Daria Morgendorffer

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2006, 05:50 »

I think the novel is great and ends perfectly, and in a perfectly suitable manner. I think that the appendix, though amusing, is unnecessary and possibly a little detrimental to the novel that's gone before it. I'm not really sure why Atwood put it in there, other than for a bit of a laugh. I really see the novel and the appendix as two seperate entities.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2006, 10:58 »

i'm going to go on record as saying that i don't like margaret atwood the novelist. she gets the recognition that a number of more interesting and far superior canadian writers deserve. she is, on the other hand, a splendid poet and a great literary analyst.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2006, 22:23 »

My brother read a load of Atwood books since he was studying The Handmaids Tale and loved them all except the Handmaids Tale (unlucky I suppose, or perhaps an inevitable consequence of studying a book?) which sort of put me off since we have a pretty similar taste in books, films, music etc. Oryx and Crake by Atwood is currently on my 'to read' list but Ive got a stack of books I HAVE to read for my studies first so its a fair way down the list. If I enjoy that I will probably read Handmaids Tale at some point.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Jillybean

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2006, 19:20 »

I have a huge seething hatred for this novel.  And most of Atwood's stuff, come to think of it.  But particularly this novel.  Been a while since I've read it, but I'll always remember how much I loathed the main character, she was so objectionable at times.

And yes, it may be a realistic study of what somebody would do under the circumstances, but I just found it quite depressing.

Mikendher

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2006, 08:36 »

This is one of my top 5 books of all time. It's perfectly conveys the idea of essentially living in the corner of a bedroom. Such an amazing dystopia, although I really abhor the appendix. It should have ended when the novel ends.

Coonstar

« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2006, 03:48 »

I liked the appendix, the light-heartedness and the distant treatment of the main story gave it a cruel twist.

hoax

• Plantmonster
« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2006, 04:50 »

Oryx and Crake is a good read as well, but my favorite Atwood novel is The Blind Assasin.

Edited for sticky keyboards and not reading the post before clicking "submit"
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2006, 09:42 by hoax »
"Don't worry, I don't have low self-esteem.  It's a mistake.  I have low esteem for everyone else."
--Daria Morgendorffer

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2006, 20:20 »

The movie was strange for me because it was shot in places that I frequented.

Also, it's "Crake".
Pages: [1]   Go Up