THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 06:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best shows of 2006  (Read 22401 times)

valley_parade

• coprophage
Best shows of 2006
« on: 15 Dec 2006, 02:01 »

Okay guys, it's nearly the end of the year, and now we get to share! What were the best shows you went to this year?

I'll start with my top five:

1. Mission of Burma (7/1 @ Mass MoCA)
2. Warped Tour minus Greenley Estates (8/3 @ Fitchburg Airport)
3. I'm gonna put Trans-Siberian Orchestra right here, even though I'm not seeing them until next Friday
4. The Burdens a few weeks ago at a bar. Fun time
5. Local show, some hardcore bands, sometime mid August

Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

kallisti

• Larger than most fish
Re: Best shows of 2006
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2006, 02:14 »

Sigh. My show list has been super super short this year, as seven months of it have been spent in Rome, where NO ONE EVER COMES.

I did see a local band called Post_Modern back in March, I believe it was. They were quite fun.

While I was still in Tacoma I saw Paris Spleen, Please Give Blood, Umber Sleeping, and a few other local bands for the millionth time.

I don't think I saw any non-local bands this year.  That saddens me. I fail at answering this topic in a non-sucky manner.

Oh wait, I saw DJ Jazzy Jeff. That's the best thing to ever happen in the history of the universe, obviously.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2006, 02:25 »

I only went to three.

In no order:

1. Oasis At Sheffield. Great setlist, included one of my favourites 'Bring It On Down,' my girlfriend paid for my ticket and gave me a handjob in the car on the way home - what a gig.

2. Nick Cave A solo show with what has now become Grinderman backing him up. I've never heard a violin, a piano, a bass and some drums make so much fucking noise. Utterly brilliant.

3. Graham Coxon He was good, but his support band, Duels, were better. And it's something for me to say that, Graham is an idol of mine, I love him to bits, but Duels were just so much better. Between them they made one hell of a show.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2006, 02:42 »

Metallica in Nijmegen.

The whole of Master Of Puppets. Live. More furious than the original.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2006, 02:45 »

The TRL Fest in NYC. Hands down. Explosions in the sky, sleeping people, envy, cex, mono, fridge, tarantel.....3 nights of absolute fuckin' awesomeness.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2006, 02:50 »

That must of been awesome dude.  I'm jealous.

Sigur Ros was my best show of 2006.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2006, 02:58 »

I fuckin hate you.

I think the two bands I'd possibly kill someone to see are Sigur Ros and Motorhead.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

jcknbl

« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2006, 03:36 »

1. Man Man- summer time openning for the Fiery Furnaces at the 9:30 club. Man Man was so much better than the Friedbergers.
2. Deerhoof- Febuary at the Black Cat
3. Sonic Youth

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2006, 04:31 »

I only went to three.

In no order:

1. Oasis At Sheffield. Great setlist, included one of my favourites 'Bring It On Down,' my girlfriend paid for my ticket and gave me a handjob in the car on the way home - what a gig.

What a mess.  :mrgreen:
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2006, 04:46 »

My top five:

1. The Islands
2. Stars
3. The Blood Brothers
4. Neko Case
5. The Evaporators

Mayhaps I'll go into more detail about each show later.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2006, 05:10 »

I just wanted to quote this for next time anyone asks me why I won't touch British women anymore.

Please be more insulting about my ex girlfriend. I'm not being sarcastic, she is now a psycho-whore and as far as I can tell, even more of a slut than my anecdote implied, so let rip.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2006, 05:31 »

I feel uncomfortable referring to any girl I have slept with as a slut, just because the poor girl probably just has ridiculously low standards and I feel it isn't fit to make fun of people with self-esteem that low

Also I only really have two shows this year that have stood out for me, and that was Market Day, and Broken Social Scene, both which were so ridiculously brilliant that every other gig I went to this year looks like stale dog shit by comparison.

I know the Kidney Thieves and SkyPi both put on some good shows this year, but quite frankly I was too fucked on acid to really judge them with any objectivity, but a lot of the international acts that came out this year were pretty dissapointing, although I am still kicking myself for missing Queensryche and Motorhead.

To be fair though, tickets for Motorhead were $120 dollars and I would have had to sit through a fucking Motley Crue set as well.

« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2006, 05:39 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2006, 05:31 »

...well back to the topic at hand

queensryche mindcrime I + II was good
fuck!...i'm dead are always good
die!die!die!
G3 as much of a wank fest as it is
decide are good especially since they had dawn of azazel as support
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2006, 05:36 »

Hahahah God I cannot believe how many gigs I wound up at this year where Fuck I'm Dead were playing. I have such a fucking intense dislike of grindcore, but theres always one really good Thrash or Melodic Black Metal band at the gigs they play and I always wind up going along for funs.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2006, 05:38 »

I have actually started to like you recently man, which is pretty amazing considering my feelings towards you about a year ago.
Your attitude towards women is baffling though. She's a 'slut' because she gave you manual stimulation? It seems pretty converse to think so little of your female companions wouldn't you say?

Well, for one thing, the car was moving and there were two other people in it.

And in all honesty, it's not that situation which is why I would call her a slut.

I think that my 'attitude to women' has been misinterpreted on this forum because I so often tend to blur the line between fact and humour.

In all seriousness, I am actually massively respectful to the women I care about, and am a hopeless romantic. I treat my ladies right, and that goes for my friends as well as any partner I may be with at any point. But a vast number of unfortunate post-relationship circumstances soured me on this particular girl.

doki

« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2006, 08:23 »

Foo Fighters at the opera house.  i had to camp out for 11 hours in the rain for those tickets, worth EVERY penny

lb969

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2006, 09:01 »

Only saw a handful of shows this year...

5: KANSAS

4: TESLA

3: FORIEGNER

2: BLUE OYSTER CULT

1: BLUE MAN GROUP

BMG was by far the best concert I have ever been to. Better than any rock concert. Those guys are INTENSE. You just can't not enjoy it!

SensoryOssuary

« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2006, 09:37 »

3. Shellac
I really, really, wanted to see these guys, since they almost never tour... but outside influences deemed it not to be. I just included this to utilize an opportunity to whine about it again.

2. Tom Waits
I've been wanting to see Tom Waits for three years, and so this could have been horrible, and I still would have creamed my pants. Luckily, it was not. His voice was excellent, and Bent Clausen provided wonderfully percussive reinterpretations of some of the numbers. The one sad aspect of the performance was the guitarist, whose paint-by-numbers blues style made some of the songs interesting, but ruined others... certain songs just don't work without Marc Ribot, I guess.

1. Daniel Higgs
Daniel Higgs is the guy from Lungfish, and he has two solo albums out now. The set started with one of his infamously elongated jew's harp numbers. He was then joined on stage by a violinist whose name alludes me. The violin was completely detuned, but she played with incredible intensity. They did some Indian-sounding vocal improvisation before Daniel switched over to acoustic guitar, with accompaniment by the "violinist" on various instruments. This was one of his very repetitive guitar ragas, which lasted for about 15 minutes before he broke out into what I believe was a Lungfish number, judging by the crowd's reaction. Granted, about 40% of the (relatively small) audience seemed to hate it, but for me, it was one of those totally unexpected moments of brilliance from a five-dollar warehouse gig.

Also, I'm going to see Gogol Bordello on Saturday, which should be fucking sweet.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #18 on: 15 Dec 2006, 09:51 »

Only show I saw this year that is worth mentioning was The Tossers with The Horrorpops (yuck!) and Sick Of It All and the Dropkick Murphys.  The set was in that order, in case I didn't make that clear.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #19 on: 15 Dec 2006, 11:34 »

1. Animal Collective (first ave-MPLS)
2. Of Montreal (Avalon-FGO)
3. Frank Black (The Venue-FGO)

I would put Two Gallants when they co-headlined with Danielson because it would have probably been #1 but I am a youngun and I am still ridiculously upset that I missed it. SO SAD. the best show this year was (probably) one that I didn't even get to see.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
« Reply #20 on: 15 Dec 2006, 11:50 »

In no particular order:
  • The Sleepy Jackson - The Bakery - June 16, 2006
  • Broken Social Scene - Beck's Verandah, March 2, 2006
  • Sigur Ros - Perth Concert Hall, 9 April 2006
  • Guitar Wolf - Amplifier Bar - Friday, November 3, 2006

I'm seeing Amon Tobin/Kid Koala at work tonight, so that might also be added to the list.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #21 on: 15 Dec 2006, 11:51 »

Best show I was at this year was Wilco, hands down. Sorry, Metric! Sorry, Sloan! Sorry, Wolf Parade! Wilco wins.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

The Hammered

« Reply #22 on: 15 Dec 2006, 11:53 »

Alasdair Roberts and the Decemberists probably go in number 1, even though the crowd was really annoying during Alasdair Roberts's set and I didn't like the venue. Sonic Youth and the Go! Team are a close second, but I thought Sonic Youth's set was weak at points (though when they were on, they were amazing) among a few other issues. However, I only saw a few shows this year.

Felix_

« Reply #23 on: 15 Dec 2006, 12:27 »

My faves or at least the most memorable of 2006 were probably shows by (in no particular order...) :

Katatonia / Agalloch / Daylight Dies
The Black Heart Procession
Opeth / Overkill
The Appleseed Cast

..and a few others.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #24 on: 15 Dec 2006, 13:47 »

This has, in fact, been one of my best gigging years ever. My five favourites (in no particular order):

- Broken Social Scene, Corner Hotel, Richmond: Holy shitting wow. It's so easy to come away disappointed when a band's live set is hyped through the roof, but in this instance the hype was justified, and then excelled. There are two ways of putting on a great gig, as far as I'm concerned: either a band uses the live form as an opportunity to depart from and experiment with their recorded output, or they play the songs much the same as they are on record, but just with more oomph. B.S.S. fell very much into this latter category: for want of a less cliched term, the atmosphere throughout the gig was absolutely electric. It being their first time in Australia, the band played a heap from You Forgot it in People. but they absolutely let rip on plenty of material from the self-titled album, too - including an absolutely flooring rendition of "It's All Gonna Break" to finish the night, after about two-and-a-half hours on stage. Pretty much the perfect gig.

- The Mountain Goats, Corner Hotel, Richmond (the Corner Hotel is pretty much awesome gig central in Melbourne): Now, I love the Mountain Goats, but for some reason I'd been somewhat underwhelmed when I saw them in September last year. Well, I don't know what John Darnielle and Peter Hughes did differently this timea around, but they were absolutely brilliant and had a sell-out crowd (according to Darnielle, the biggest audience he'd ever played for) absolutely spellbound throughout the night. There are too many artists who barely say a word throughout a gig, other than maybe "thanks" every now and then, but Darnielle's audience interaction is second-to-none: he regularly had the crowd in stitches, before drawing them right in to some of the most harrowing, moving songs in music today. And it was a crowd that knew the songs, as the frequent bouts of singing demonstrated - which seemed to genuinely surprise and delight Darnielle. Basically the whole gig was a big love-in!

- Okkervil River, East Brunswick Club, East Brunswick: They claimed they were incredibly jetlagged, and frequently apologised throughout the set for playing so sloppily - well, I don't know how they normally sound, but if this was how they sounded when they were tired then I think they should seriously consider exploring the performance-enhancing effects of sleep deprivation! Perhaps they were a little sloppier than usual, but to my ears it sounded instead like they were playing with the kind of ragged desperation that makes you feel like it's just you and the band against the world. It was pure rock 'n' roll. The band roared through songs like "Black" and "The President's Dead" like they were a matter of life-or-death, but didn't eschew dynamics: the second-last song of the night was a jaw-droppingly beautiful solo acoustic rendition of "A Stone".

- Martin Martini & the Bone Palace Orchestra: Spanish Club, Fitzroy I really want to spread the word about these guys, so here's their MySpace. They're a local band who've been building quite a following, both in Melbourne and elsewhere. In winter they launched their first proper album (if you don't count an earlier live C.D.) and had a MASSIVE show in Fitzroy, the heart of Melbourne's live music scene. It was absolutely packed out, and given that a gig by these guys is a party at the best of times it was an incredible atmosphere to have several hundred people jammed in, all dancing their hearts out. Martin Martini's songs are funny, gruesome, dark, troubling, joyful, bizarre, all at once. It's like deranged carnival music (the influence of Tom Waits is clear, but filtered through a very Australian sensibility). However, a great gig is often about the context as much as the music: on the morning of the gig, I'd learned that my grandmother had died - not unexpectedly - at the grand old age of 92. So it was with some sadness that I went out that night to a gig I'd been looking forward to for weeks. The gig didn't make me forget about my grandmother - nor did I want it to - but it somehow helped me make sense of her death, and celebrate the extraordinary life she'd had. It was that, as much as anything else, that made the night so memorable.

- Vulgargrad, the Old Bar, Fitzroy: My favourite local band (and I ought to declare an interest: I knew both the trombone player and the drummer prior to the band forming). Another link for you to follow: http://www.myspace.com/vulgargrad. Vulgargrad, who play old Russian punk songs and songs of the Russian criminal underclass, are something of an ephemeral band: their lead singer, the actor Jacek Koman (you may know him from his role as Tomas in Children of Men, frequently goes back for a spell to his native Poland, putting the band on hiatus. This only makes the band's appearances all the more precious and exciting. Like Martin Martini & the Bone Palace Orchestra, whom they supported at the gig described above, they've been steadily building up a following through the old-fashioned means of just playing awesome gigs: in fact, I'm genuinely surprised that they've got a MySpace, because until very recently they had almost no internet presence at all. I know them chiefly through the two residencies they've had this year and last year at the Old Bar, which used to be my local and is still my favourite small music venue in Melbourne. Each week, as word spread, the regulars and the converts would be joined at the gigs by newcomers, until by the end of their residencies (an extended six weeks last year, four weeks this year) they had the whole place jam-packed - and we're talking about a tiny venue here - and all dancing and sweating and cheering and delirious. Doubly impressive, when you consider that Vulgargrad's entire repertoir is in Russian. Vulgargrad are the ultimate cult band: at their gigs you'll see people wearing striped t-shirts identical to the long-sleeve black-and-white horizontally-striped t-shirts the band all sport. There was nothing particularly unusual about their gigs this year: just a continuation of the rock-solid foundation they've already built up in their short career so far. I'll be eagerly anticipating their return next year.

ForksOfSalvation

« Reply #25 on: 15 Dec 2006, 14:07 »

I went to see the mars volta.  there were a lot of assholes and wankerfaces.

And dancing.

byebyepanda

• Emoticontraindication
  • do a barrel roll!
« Reply #26 on: 15 Dec 2006, 14:24 »

Local band: Lanterns

AND

Matt & Kim

SO GOOD!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #27 on: 15 Dec 2006, 17:51 »

I saw Matt and Kim play this really late show (11:30 PM, maybe?) last summer at a trendy restaurant/bar in town. Great show.

Here's another list I'm putting up: Shows I wanted to see but did not.

1. Aquabats 6/11
2. Children of Bodom/Amon Amarth 12/16
3. Slayer/Children of Bodom/Lamb of God/Mastadon 6/29
4. Ted Leo & Pharmacists 10/26
5. Ted Leo & Pharmacists/Death Cab for Cutie 11/2
6. Subluxation CD release show (local band, didn't feel like walking downtown in the rain)
7. All the bands I missed on Warped because we left early due to being really dehydrated: Joan Jett, Horse the band, Rise Against, Against Me!, NOFX, From Autumn To Ashes

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #28 on: 15 Dec 2006, 18:19 »

I think I only saw two shows this year, Sigur Ros and Islands. Islands were okay, and Sigur Ros were OH MY ZOMG INCREDIBLE.  So I think they probably win. Actually, I think theirs was probably the best show I've ever seen. Maybe.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #29 on: 15 Dec 2006, 23:16 »

Four shows I saw this year were absolutely fucking amazing, so here they are:

Circle Takes The Square with Junius and The Pax Cecilia in February.  Okay, admittedly, I went more because the Pax are all really good dudes, good friends of mine, and they're in my top 10 list of favorite bands, but CTTS was fucking wonderful as well.  I'd very much like to catch them live again.

Converge's off-date in Pittsburgh with Robinson and a couple other grind bands.  While Converge was doing their 5-day stint with the Sounds Of The Underground tour, they had one of their scheduled shows drop out, so they hooked up with a local VFW show that was going on.  Converge at a VFW in front of maybe 150 kids = priceless. 

Modern Life Is War opening for Ignite and Strike Anywhere, back in .  My first chance to see MLIW, and it was with a bunch of dirty ass punk rock kids.  So basically, everyone was there to have a good time and enjoy themselves, instead of trying to out-scene each other like the hardcore 'tough guys' usually end up doing.  This venue, you got extra credit for having the biggest smile on your face while the bands were playing, not for having the sickest sleevework, or the most cr00shal pit moves...it was awesome.

Converge/Some Girls/Modern Life Is War/Ringworm/Blacklisted in Cleveland last month.  This is not just the best show I've seen this year, this is one of the best shows I've seen EVER.  Some Girls is intense as hell...Ringworm's set was legendary, and Converge just keeps getting better and better everytime I see them.  I'm still waiting for them to bring back "Jane Doe" into their setlist, but I don't know if that'll ever happen.

I saw a few local shows as well, but they weren't anything particularly moving.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #30 on: 16 Dec 2006, 01:44 »

- Okkervil River, East Brunswick Club, East Brunswick: They claimed they were incredibly jetlagged, and frequently apologised throughout the set for playing so sloppily - well, I don't know how they normally sound, but if this was how they sounded when they were tired then I think they should seriously consider exploring the performance-enhancing effects of sleep deprivation! Perhaps they were a little sloppier than usual, but to my ears it sounded instead like they were playing with the kind of ragged desperation that makes you feel like it's just you and the band against the world. It was pure rock 'n' roll. The band roared through songs like "Black" and "The President's Dead" like they were a matter of life-or-death, but didn't eschew dynamics: the second-last song of the night was a jaw-droppingly beautiful solo acoustic rendition of "A Stone".

God damn it, sometimes you think you have watched a real great gig in the past year and then you read something like this and your heart sinks. My goal is to go back in time and attend that concert, Inlander.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #31 on: 16 Dec 2006, 06:19 »

I went to see the mars volta.  there were a lot of assholes and wankerfaces.

And dancing.

I can't imagine how unfathomably boring it must be to see them live.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #32 on: 16 Dec 2006, 06:50 »

Sigur Ros was my best show of 2006.

i saw sigur ros at madison square garden and , while it was a dream come true since they're among my favorite bands, i found the venue was really not conduscive to great sigur ros listening. too big, too many people. i would have much prefered a more initmate setting. but the music was still brilliant. and in response to a later comment about missing great shows, i had the opportunity to see both okkervil river and broken social scene this year and passed both of them up.....for some reason. i don't think i'll ever be able to fathom why i did that.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

adara

• Plantmonster
« Reply #33 on: 16 Dec 2006, 08:07 »

1. The Hold Steady
2. Jason Anderson
3. The Flaming Lips with Ween and Sonic Youth
4. The New Pornographers
5. I went to a "tribute band festival" which sounds kind of silly, but Hotter than Hell (KISS), The Machine (Pink Floyd), Lez Zeppelin (...), and Toys in the Attic (Aerosmith) were a lot of fun.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #34 on: 16 Dec 2006, 08:07 »

- Okkervil River, East Brunswick Club, East Brunswick:

God damn it, sometimes you think you have watched a real great gig in the past year and then you read something like this and your heart sinks.

I should admit that prior to that gig I hadn't got around to listening to any Okkervil River, so a large part of the excitement of that night for me was the excitement of discovery. Perhaps somebody who was already familiar with all of their songs wouldn't have been so blown away? I don't know.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #35 on: 16 Dec 2006, 08:30 »

I didn't see a single show in 2006.

Sorry, I just wanted to be the first asshole to post that.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #36 on: 16 Dec 2006, 12:15 »

Okkervil River have this ridiculous talent for making me cry. I could be all "whee happy happy" and the second Will Sheff opens his mouth, I'm sobbing. (they are the most emotional band I have ever listened to. I love them.)
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #37 on: 16 Dec 2006, 15:59 »

I feel uncomfortable referring to any girl I have slept with as a slut, just because the poor girl probably just has ridiculously low standards and I feel it isn't fit to make fun of people with self-esteem that low

Or maybe they just like fucking? Slut is the most ridiculous term. Anyway...

The Nightmare Before Christmas - The Stooges, The Melvins (twice!), Deerhoof, Magik Markers, Hair Police, Peter Brotzmann/Han Bennik, Wolf Eyes, Negative Approach, My Cat Is An Alien, The Notekillers - amazing, but it needed more Shellac.
La Quiete, Get Stuffed, Knives, The Patron Saint of Lost Causes - my old band's second ever gig and it was with the best screamo band in the world. They were fucking great, although admittedly not as good as at Summerslam last year.
Tubers, Jupiter Lander, The Patron Saint of Lost Causes - my old band's last ever gig and it was with Tubers, who I'd never heard before but really impressed, and Jupiter Lander. A great way to go out.
DJ Scotch Egg, Germlin - A load of other people played this gig at the Brudenell but I've forgotten them. These guys are firmly lodged in the memory.
Ghost Mice, Soophie Nun Squad, Antisocial Mixtape - Ghost Mice played in a field behind the pub and Soophie Nun Squad made the PA blowing up into an excuse for more crowd interaction and general silliness. I'd wanted to see that band for years and they didn't disappoint.
Clorox Girls - amazing rock and roll fun. Beer can wars with the audience, so many covers and they helped clean up the venue afterwards.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #38 on: 16 Dec 2006, 19:59 »

I saw Dragonforce twice, awesome both times.

One of my favourite bands was t'other night at a bar in the city called Carpe Diem. The best non-pro guitarist I have seen was playing with his new band, man I wish I could play like that guy.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #39 on: 16 Dec 2006, 21:02 »

I should admit that prior to that gig I hadn't got around to listening to any Okkervil River, so a large part of the excitement of that night for me was the excitement of discovery. Perhaps somebody who was already familiar with all of their songs wouldn't have been so blown away? I don't know.

That's what I'd done with Burma. I'd heard maybe one or two of their songs the day before, and decided "what the hell, it'll be fun".

Skittish

« Reply #40 on: 16 Dec 2006, 21:47 »

1) Ryan Adams
2) The Hold Steady
3) My Morning Jacket
4) Broken Social Scene
Tie:
5) The Black Keys
5) Nine Inch Nails

Coolhanderik

« Reply #41 on: 16 Dec 2006, 22:32 »

1 - Architecture in Helsinki
2 - Joanna Newsom
3 - Tie between Broken Social Scene and Mogwai
4 - Clap Your hands Say Yeah
5 - Dungen

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #42 on: 16 Dec 2006, 22:47 »

I can imagine Dungen would be a pretty sweet show.

Coolhanderik

« Reply #43 on: 16 Dec 2006, 23:06 »

Yeah they were. Plus, I got to see them in Sweden, so it was extra cool.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #44 on: 17 Dec 2006, 00:40 »

I would probably put the show I went to last night on my list, if it weren't for the fact that I spent 3 bands sets edging my way closer and closer to the front, and during Fakers set, immediatly before the New Pornographers played, some fucking stupid bitch barged her way right upto the very front, and proceeded to yell WOOOOOOOOOO! every five fucking seconds right in my ear, which set me on edge for the rest of the evening.

Although I must admit, seeing The Grates live really brought some life back into their records for me, since I had gotten so sick of them by now.

I dunno, I would probably put the show at 5, below Ratatat and Love Outside Andromeda, it could have made 2 or three, but I was far too sober to deal with stupid fucking whores who were essentially trying to get a backstage pass so they could sleep with Fakers bassist. I tapped another girl that was right next to her on the shoulder and mouthed the words "Knock that fucking bitch out for me please" but I guess she wasn't game.

So my top five is

Market Day
Broken Social Scene
Ratatat
Love Outside Andromeda
The Grates/The New Pornographes

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #45 on: 17 Dec 2006, 08:09 »

This could be a tough one. Let me see...

1. Kid Koala / Amon Tobin, last freaking night. Absolutely incredible - in the words of one punter, "that was the dopest shit I have ever seen." KK did some incredible things to records, including manipulating Moon River in very incorrect yet harmonious ways, a mashup of Wolfmother's Dimension, De La Soul's classic The Magic Number bleeding into KK's own Skanky Panky (sampled live, impressive as hell)... The list goes on. Amon Tobin... an hour and a half of evil, evil, and extremely enjoyable drum'n'bass sampling. Gig o' the year.

2. The Herd, September. Get-up-and-jump hip-hop with a political edge, great crowd, I ran into a friend I haven't seen for ages, I loved it.

3. The Presets/Digitalism, June. Electro rock stuff, lots of fun to be had.

4. Michael Franti and Spearhead, September. If you've ever seen a Franti show, you know what I mean.

5. Paul van Dyk, April. Bassy tech-house with a trance flavour. Not really what I was expecting, but what the hell, I loved it anyway.

Special Mentions: Coldcut and Stanton Warriors at Parklife, Regurgitator at Stonefest.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #46 on: 17 Dec 2006, 08:26 »

1) Ryan Adams
2) The Hold Steady
3) My Morning Jacket
4) Broken Social Scene
Tie:
5) The Black Keys
5) Nine Inch Nails
Why do I have a sneaking suspision that you too were at Lollapolooza? Anywho, my top 5 of the year were (in no particular order):

1) Alkaline Trio (Goddamnit tour)
2) Wilco (in Toronto)
3) Built to Spill
4) The Go! Team
5) Sleater-Kinney OR Of Montreal (I was really stoned, making it a pretty amazing show)

Honourable mentions include Mogwai, eels, Ryan Adams and Thievery Corporation.
I like the way you work it.

Scytale

« Reply #47 on: 18 Dec 2006, 16:02 »

Two picks for me

Anarazel (Metal For the Brain)
I never really cared for them before but they bought the house down at MFTB with an awesome set concluding with one of the greatest Venom covers I have ever heard. To hear a packed venue screaming along to "In League With Satan" at the top of their lungs is one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed.

The Mars Volta (Big Day Out)
Only reason I bought tickets to BDO, really amazing, regardless of what you think of them TMV put on a truly excellent live show, I'd definately reccomend seeing them, highlight for me was the extended version of 'Drunkship of Lanterns' they played, it was one of my favorite songs off deloused and they extended it out to about 25 minutes long, was awesome.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #48 on: 18 Dec 2006, 17:45 »

Oh, one other awesome gig I went to this year that deserves to be commemorated: the Go! Team at the Prince of Wales Bandroom, St. Kilda. A useful measure of how enjoyable an indie gig is, is the number of people not dancing. (Sadly, there'll always be a few hipsters standing at the back of the room with their hands in their pockets.) Well, such was the Go! Teams exuberance - and the awesomeness of Ninja as a front-woman - that there were only about half-a-dozen sorry saps furiously resisting the urge to move, in a packed-out venue.

Unfortunately, there's one thing that ensures that this gig missed out on the top 5 I posted earlier: the sound quality was absolutely disgraceful. The venue owners should be ashamed of themselves, asking people to cough up A$45 and then providing such an awful sound-system that it was barely possible to distinguish one note of music from another. It was so bad that nowadays, if I see that a band is playing at the Prince Bandroom then I'll decide not to go. It would probably just be a waste of my money. The fact that the Go! Team put on such an enjoyable show even despite such an obstacle, just goes to show what an awesome live act they are.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #49 on: 19 Dec 2006, 01:04 »

Shit, I forgot about Constantines and Julie Doiron and Feist, all of which were separate shows and great.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up