THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 17:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesser known games you like  (Read 52781 times)

Nutsaur

• Not quite a lurker
Re: Lesser known games you like
« Reply #100 on: 20 Feb 2007, 04:35 »

I'll give you Bonk acronym.

useless_connoisseur

« Reply #101 on: 20 Feb 2007, 10:58 »

How about everything made for Game Gear- Joe Montana Football, Lillehammer 94; I have a friend who buys everything he can find on Ebay that works.  The thing ate batteries and weighed at least a few pounds.  And now that I've completely lost my topic, I may as well inform you all that I once commandeered my brother's Dreamcast and played Toy Commander for twelve straight hours.

BillAdama

« Reply #102 on: 21 Feb 2007, 15:51 »

Shin Megami Tensei:  Nocturne has to be one of the absolute best RPGs ever made, but I've only ever met people who've heard of it on the 'Everything Else -- RPGs' board on Gamefaqs.

Shin Megami Tensei:  Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 rock also.

The series is basically dungeon crawlers with a cool dark atmosphere, and turn based battle system with far more heavy strategy than any other turn based RPGs I've ever seen.  Basically, you get as many 'press turns' per round as characters alive.  But if you attack the enemy's weakness or get a critical hit you get an extra press turn, and if you attack their strength or miss you lose an extra press turn. And the same rules apply to the enemies as apply to you.

Also, you know how in most games, spells that increase or decrease stats are useless because either they don't hit, or they last way too short?  In SMT, those kinds of spells are permanent, and they stack, and enemies are constantly casting them on you.  Status effects are also a major part of the game. 

Nocturne has sort of a minimalist plot more like a PC style RPG, except with a slightly more linear sequence of places you're supposed to go to.  Also, there are six different endings that you bring about by allying yourself with the various factions of the game.  There is only one controllable story character, and the rest of the party is made up of demons you recruit from battles.  Digital Devil Saga has a more traditional RPG plot, but it's real dark and creepy.  (Basically, at the start, everyone in the world is transformed into demons who must devour each other to survive, else the hunger will drive them into an animal rage.)  In it there are seven story characters and three in a battle.

Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 are also some of the best RPGs out there, but I think they're a little more well known now.

BillAdama

« Reply #103 on: 21 Feb 2007, 15:54 »

Anyone here heard of Disgaea?

Most addicting thing ever.

Disgaea 1 and 2 both rock.

There are plenty of great RPGs out there on PS2 for people who don't like Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy styled games.  Just, nobody has heard of them...

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #104 on: 23 Feb 2007, 22:46 »

Startopia, I know no greater arousal than spaceslugs now.

Yes!
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #105 on: 23 Feb 2007, 23:48 »

A.D. 1602
Caesar 3
Europa Universalis 1 &2

See a pattern?
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #106 on: 24 Feb 2007, 10:08 »

Shin Megami Tensei:  Nocturne has to be one of the absolute best RPGs ever made, but I've only ever met people who've heard of it on the 'Everything Else -- RPGs' board on Gamefaqs.

FOR THE TRUTH

Good god, these games are AMAZING

Joosbawx

« Reply #107 on: 27 Feb 2007, 10:53 »

The best RPG that I've ever played (and nostalgia plays heavily in this, beware) was 'Darklands' on my old 486...sigh.  Excellent game.  Another VERY good game (nostalgia) what just released an anniversary edition is 'Out of this World'.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #108 on: 28 Feb 2007, 03:49 »

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

I normally hate anything vampire related, but damnit, it's a Troika game!
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

XxSTUPIDNAMExX

« Reply #109 on: 06 Mar 2007, 12:19 »

Loom was definitely awesome. It makes me sad that the game's story will never be finished.

I never actually played Loom, although I do remember one mobile sprite of a pirate in the Grogg Bar in Secrets of Monkey Island advertising it.

Shreazla

• Not quite a lurker
  • Random night
« Reply #110 on: 06 Mar 2007, 22:16 »

I personally have a soft spot for all of the NES games which I grew up on.  While there are quite a few good well know games for the NES, such as Super Mario Bros 1, 2, and 3, The Legend of Zelda, and so forth, I have yet to hear of anyone who has played Little Nemo's Adventures in Dreamland.  This game was amazing, though granted not the best ever, and was quite enjoyable for me even with the childish graphics.  I also enjoyed playing a Tengen game for NES called Vindicators - a shoot-em up 1-2 player tank game, which was surprisingly difficult.
Shreazla - A Frood who knows where his towel is

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #111 on: 06 Mar 2007, 22:42 »

I totally used to play that game. I don't think I ever finished it though.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Coming Home

« Reply #112 on: 07 Mar 2007, 20:18 »

Shadow of the Colossus.
Agreed. That game was gorgeous. But now I have a 360, and it is ugly.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #113 on: 07 Mar 2007, 20:27 »

R.C. motherfucking Pro-Am.

NES style baby.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

ackblom12

« Reply #114 on: 09 Mar 2007, 21:50 »

And because I was playing this today and it occured to me that everyone I know only knows about the game because I re-bought it off Ebay, is Sanitarium.

Sanitarium is probably one of the best and most twisted adventure games I've ever played. I love it!

Bennett the Sage

« Reply #115 on: 09 Mar 2007, 22:52 »

For me..its a two-fer. On one hand, I could play Chrono Cross for hours on end for all eternity, though a lot of people think the game sucked and wasnt a worthy sequal to Chrono Trigger. But on the other hand, Indigo Prophecy just oozed cool, and deserved bigger fanfare than it received.

moggeh

« Reply #116 on: 11 Mar 2007, 03:01 »

Nethack - It's a D&Desque dungeon crawl. Starring @ as the intrepid hero, it follows his trials and tribulations battling other letters and symbols in an effort to retrieve the long lost ________ of ________.

My friends and I still all play that game daily... God I love nethack.

I've already mentioned it on another thread, but only a quarter of the people I meet seem to know about Geneforge, and I love that game(and the next 3).

muffin Man

« Reply #117 on: 15 Mar 2007, 15:25 »

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I used to have a game for the Mega-Drive (Sega Genesis for the Americans) called Soleil (Crusader of Centy) Was an amazing game, the story was basically you had just turned 14 years old and had to go train at Rafflesia training ground so that you could become a great knight for the land. So you go, but on the way you come across a physchic who gives you the power to speak to animals - but because you can talk to animals you can no longer talk to humans - anyway, you then go on a mission to save the land from some evil person using your animal friends who give you powers. Like the cheetah gives you the power to run really fast, a Lion set your sword on fire - so it did more damage, a penguin to freeze your sword - also to strengthen it.

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/genesis/centy/index.shtml

Amazing game, probably my favourite.

heyboygetasweater

« Reply #118 on: 05 Apr 2007, 09:04 »

I love Psychonauts. i need to find all the old Tim Schafer games

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #119 on: 07 Apr 2007, 19:15 »

Grim Fandango for the win.

B!shop

« Reply #120 on: 09 Apr 2007, 05:54 »

Space Station Silicon Valley on the N64 was a fun little platformer.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #121 on: 09 Apr 2007, 08:19 »

If by "little" you mean "tremendously ambitious" then I agree.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Arcane

• Not quite a lurker
  • Thinking too much makes my life complicated.
« Reply #122 on: 09 Apr 2007, 10:20 »

Jagged Alliance 2. What a great frigging game. An open ended, turn based strategy game where you play a group of mercenaries trying to liberate a country from a fascist queen. Has RPG elements and a great sense of humor.

Great game. Although I don't really get why the game desingers forgot the great multiplayer, which worked almost perfectly in Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games. I still hope that somebody would do unofficial Jagged Alliance 2 multiplayer mod, or otherwise the company would do JA3 (and don't screw it up) with good multiplayer support on lan and/or internet.

In Finland Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) got much less attention that it should have gotten. Probably the best singleplayer game for Xbox and it got good reviews (few popular finnish game-medias gave 98 out of 100), but players just didn't buy it. Maybe too hard or singleplayers just aren't in?

Also Rollercoaster Tycoon (the first one only). Maybe the best simulator, I just love it. Somehow I can play it weeks and months with money-code, so I don't have to worry about money and I just keep design more and more beautiful amusement parks. :)

Then also Golden Sun 1-2 for GBA, way too undervalued.

+ Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. I have it for Xbox, great game.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2007, 10:23 by Arcane »
Communicating via bad english. || http://arcku.deviantart.com/

B!shop

« Reply #123 on: 10 Apr 2007, 04:02 »

If by "little" you mean "tremendously ambitious" then I agree.
Well, yeah. I was younger at the time, so I guess I didn't appreciate it as much froma  design standpoint.

If only Springy-Thingy's existed in real life. =/

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #124 on: 12 Apr 2007, 05:42 »

One of my favorite games from when I was younger was Beyond the Forbidden Forest for the C64. God, that game had some great, violent deaths! Anyone here ever play that?

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #125 on: 16 Apr 2007, 07:11 »

Well, since there's already a thread for lesser known RPG's, I'll stick outside that genre:

Far and away, best obscure game I've ever played was Tomba for Playstation. You play a pink haired savage boy ina 3D animated 2D sidescroller (Pretty much the same idea as New Super Mario Bros.). It has epic amounts of sidequests and is just ridiculously simple platforming fun. Sadly, I've never been able to track down a copy of the sequel.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

SeanBateman

« Reply #126 on: 16 Apr 2007, 20:47 »

One of the most underrated games, in my opinion, is Beyond Good and Evil. Nobody I know plays it but it's great.

I came to this thread to post that game. I've been playing through it recently, and it's been really fun, but it's a little too easy. The storyline is great though.

Postino

« Reply #127 on: 17 Apr 2007, 03:49 »

Anyone ever play Way of the Samurai for PS2? Great, very fun amazing game. It was very short but had a lot of replay value.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #128 on: 17 Apr 2007, 08:18 »

I always had a soft spot for Square's non-RPG offerings. Einhander (sp??) was a pretty good 3Dish shooter, while The Bouncer was a pretty good beat-em-up that was hampered by touchy controls and stupid AI.

Postino

« Reply #129 on: 17 Apr 2007, 09:09 »

In way of beat'em up I always thought Eihergez (sp?) was pretty good. The fact that you were able to use old school Square characters in the battles was a nice addition. I mean yeah it wasn't the best fighting type game in the world but the integrated dungeon crawler with the fighting game, it was not a bad offering. Speaking of dungeon crawlers does anyone remember Vagrant Story? That was one of my favorite games of all time, simply for the atmosphere and weapon customizing system.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #130 on: 17 Apr 2007, 09:49 »

Someone already mentioned Master of Orion, and that game is still fun as hell to me even now.  Xcom ufo defense, and Xcom Terror from the deep are also awesom as far as I'm concerned.  Cool stories, with attainable goals to get to the next step and eventually invade mars...  Really cool stuff there.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Narr

« Reply #131 on: 17 Apr 2007, 21:39 »

Pretty much anything by Nippon-Ichi.  The first Disgaea went under everyone's radar (except mine!) when it first came out and I pretty much singlehandedly started a craze for the game due to my awesome salesman skills at GameStop when it came out.  One guy told me that he would give me his firstborn child for recommending it.  I personally LOVED Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom was a blast.

I am a huge fan of fighting games, and NO ONE has played Garou: Mark of the Wolves here in the United States but a few dedicated, hardcore fighter enthusiasts or Neo-Geo emulator people.  It is such an absolutely amazing game.  The graphics are so incredibly fluid TO THIS DAY.  It was so ahead of its time.  I am glad they are starting to encorporate Garou characters into the KoF games (King of Fighters XI is due out the end of June, just as an FYI.)

Planescape: Torment is another one that it seems few people have actually played, even people who loved Black Isle.  If you can find this game, do yourself a favor and pick it up.  The story is untouchable.  Literally, it's video game story telling at its absolute finest.

How many people here played Betrayal at Krondor?  That game is actually what got me into reading fantasy novels!  The story was done by Raymond E. Feist and I was a huge fan of his back in the day.  It was brilliant.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #132 on: 17 Apr 2007, 22:38 »

I believe Mark of the Wolves is coming to the Wii's Virtual Console. I know they're planning on bringing Neo-Geo stuff, so it only makes sense for SNK to do that.

Postino

« Reply #133 on: 17 Apr 2007, 23:08 »

I have read the Betrayal at Krondor book series, but I have been unable to find the game. Which is sad because Feist's books are pretty good.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #134 on: 18 Apr 2007, 13:21 »

It's worth mentioning again: the first Disgaea has been re-released by Nippon Ichi. I think for now it's only available from their website, but Amazon has a listing for it as "New; will ship soon."

I have a copy of Vagrant Story that's been collecting dust for YEARS. I absolutely hated the game when I first got it was a gift, but someday I feel like it'll click for me.

Narr

« Reply #135 on: 18 Apr 2007, 21:28 »

I have read the Betrayal at Krondor book series, but I have been unable to find the game. Which is sad because Feist's books are pretty good.
It's freeware now.  It was made freeware when the game sequel came out, as an attempt to hype it up.  I just googled for it half-heartedly with no luck, but I'm sure you could find it with a little effort.

It's DOS, though, so you'll need a DOS emulator if you're on XP or Vista.

elcaset_dreams

« Reply #136 on: 18 Apr 2007, 23:30 »

when playing with others: Sunset Riders and Knights of the Round, not to mention Zombies ate my Neighbors all for snes.

by myself... shining force on sega, chrono trigger or ff3 for snes, or just about anything square put out for the playstation.

Narr

« Reply #137 on: 19 Apr 2007, 17:09 »

The only thing Square ever made that went under the gamer radars was Einhander.

But Sunset Riders and Knights of the Round?  That brings back good times.  KotR was pretty rad.

Johnny Evilguy

« Reply #138 on: 21 Apr 2007, 20:02 »

The only thing Square ever made that went under the gamer radars was Einhander.

But Sunset Riders and Knights of the Round?  That brings back good times.  KotR was pretty rad.

Its a shame too, Einhander is a great game... It was worth trading Saga Frontier 1 for it....

Sunset riders: The best character was the poncho guy...

Anyone heard of Ikaruga? I still call it the most difficult shooter on the planet

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EGNSdcy-apU

EDIT: How can I forget about Dragonforce?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cUplX_KTITk
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2007, 20:11 by Johnny Evilguy »

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #139 on: 23 Apr 2007, 07:30 »

Ikaruga was such a great game, but god damn was it hard. I realize that was the point, and it was aimed at old school shoot-em-up fanatics, but it had such tantalizingly cool mechanics I almost wish they'd make the game less memorization heavy.

Mr_Seth

« Reply #140 on: 23 Apr 2007, 20:45 »

My favorite game ever? Nostril Hockey. It's not a video game, but the rules are simple.

1) Put a 3x5 card down on the middle of a table. This is the "puck". You may bend up the corners before the game to make it easier.

2) Players lean over each end of the table and attempt to blow the puck off the other end of the table - but they may only blow through their nostrils, and may not touch the puck in any way.

3) At any time, you may punch the other player in the face to forfeit the game; if they punch back, however, the game ends with whoever wins the ensuing fistfight.

4) You win the game if:
        A) You blow the puck over any end of the table besides yours.
        B) You are punched in the face and do not punch back.
        C) You win the ending fistfight.
        D) Your opponent loses.

5) You lose the game if:
        A) Your opponent wins the game, for any of reasons A-C above
        B) You touch the puck.
        C) You manipulate the puck via any method other than blowing through your nostril
        D) You make any Chuck Norris jokes during the game. Chuck Norris is a chump; Bruce Lee could kick his derierre any day. Even dead.
        E) You are Chuck Norris.
        F) You ever kick your opponent. Punching is encouraged in Nostril Hockey; kicking is not.
        G) You high-stick your opponent.
        H) You think about/bisect the bean.

Stranger Dan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #141 on: 24 Apr 2007, 01:09 »

You are all horrible people because none of you are playing Lunar Knights for the DS or Earth Defense Force 2017 for the XBox 360 right now.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #142 on: 24 Apr 2007, 13:48 »

By the way, I know everyone knows of Psychonauts, but did anyone ever play it?
I've got to say it was amazing.  Everyone I've converted says so, but nobody I have met has played it on their own initiative.

I want to buy it very badly, but it is mysteriously absent from every retailer of video games in a surrounding 5-mile radius.  I've played the demo of the PC version however.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #143 on: 24 Apr 2007, 16:47 »

I actually have Lunar Knights, so fuck you.

Stranger Dan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #144 on: 24 Apr 2007, 17:08 »

You are a good person then, Storm Rider.

zacha

• Emoticontraindication
  • Cloudy Wolf
    • Life, Love & Why
« Reply #145 on: 24 Apr 2007, 23:09 »

Well. I just began playing Conflict Freespace.
It wasn't that unknown back when it was released but I guess noone really knows what it is today.
(It's FUN!)
"Everything I have written may be wrong."

My life, My love, My why

ackblom12

« Reply #146 on: 05 May 2007, 12:38 »

King of Dragon Pass in now added to my list. Think of a much deeper "The Lost Tribe" except with vikings, magic and lots and lots of pillaging.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #147 on: 08 May 2007, 15:17 »

Shadow of the Colossus.

hate to break it to you but ICO is more a lesser known game.  SOTC made greatest hits.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #148 on: 08 May 2007, 15:26 »

Ill defintiely second mischief makers though.

what about startropics?

edit: also, guadian legend for NES
« Last Edit: 08 May 2007, 16:20 by will: wanton sex god »

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #149 on: 12 May 2007, 18:47 »

Earthbound is brill. Also, Seiken Densetsu.

There's lots of (probably not that good) scrollers and platformers I remember from my youth that I normally only ever got to play one fourth of because they were all shareware my dad was too mean to send off for the other episodes. I mean stuff like Hocus Pocus, Crystal Caves, Commander Keen, Starfire and whatnot. From my memories, I'm pretty sure some of the Commander Keen games (4 I think was pretty good) and Hocus Pocus might have actually been genuinely excellent games.

Best unknown game of all time is almost certainly Fragile Allegiance however. Such a fucking good game! It's a space strategy from about 1996, you're a regional manager in charge of asteroid mining for some dodgy as fuck interstellar megacorp. It was so in-depth! Right down to the level of being able to customise every hardpoint on every fucking starfighter you built (which would invariably be engaged in  awesome, borderline psychedelic laser battles with whatever aliens you'd been pissing off the most, whilst missiles were raining down and shooting up left and right. The coolest things, though, were probably the really in-depth background on all the technology and races or whatnot you could read up on on your intelligence computer, and the advanced trading/diplomacy system. There were so many cool points: like when you hired people (asteroid managers, security personnel etc.) you'd get the glossy company file to make your decisions, but you could also buy up information on the black market, which would tell you how good they really were.

You could also buy up genetically engineered viruses and neutron bombs. I think the evillest thing I ever did was to unleash this plague on some aliens without their knowledge...right after I had bought up all the medicine to treat it that was available in the sector. Oh how they died. The really funny thing was, the medicine had no effect on humans! I eventually sold it back to them at vastly inflated prices AND THEN POUNDED THEM WITH MISSILES TILL THEIR LAST BASE WAS JUST A BARREN ROCK POCKMARKED WITH CRATERS AND FLICKERING ELECTRICAL STORMS!!

Such a good game.

Where can i get a copy of this game?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up