THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 14:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesser known games you like  (Read 52938 times)

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
Re: Lesser known games you like
« Reply #50 on: 29 Dec 2006, 13:54 »

Except for like, Kirby's Air Ride. But nobody remembers or cares about that game anyway.

I thought that game was fun.

I enjoyed Snowboard Kids and Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon on the N64 back in the day.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

ackblom12

« Reply #51 on: 29 Dec 2006, 14:02 »

Goemon and Lunar were both great franchises, but they were really niche markets in the US. Kinda like Earthbound. 10 people in the US know what that game is, but I'll be damned if those 10 people don't think it's one of the best franchises ever.

GileX

« Reply #52 on: 29 Dec 2006, 17:52 »

LOL, lunar was crazy but fun. I never played sonic team, i saw the preview then decided no, seems that it was terrible. Now im glad i didnt play it, today i saw another sonic game, it was like "Sonic: Gem team or Gem heroes or something" i forget, but it had the word gem in it and it was for the ps2.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #53 on: 31 Dec 2006, 14:01 »

Guys I recently discovered the game Jurassic Park: Trespasser. Apparently the reaction was lukewarm. I view this as a mistake. I think if someone could remake this game without the flaws that it talks about in the article and with modern graphics I would be a very happy gamer.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ackblom12

« Reply #54 on: 01 Jan 2007, 13:31 »

Oh shit, I'm ashamed I didn't think of this game earlier!

Sanitarium. This is one of the most deranged, twisted and dark games (that was well done I might add... fuck Manhunt) I've ever had the joy of playing.

Old School adventure game where a man travels through his damaged psyche after a car accident. All he knows is that he stole a car, and was on his way to spread some very important news before he crashed. Such a dark and twisted game, especially the circus and the initial town you show up in.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #55 on: 01 Jan 2007, 13:46 »

I really wanted to play Sanitarium but I can't find a copy of it anywhere.

ackblom12

« Reply #56 on: 02 Jan 2007, 02:56 »

I ended up Ebaying it when I couldn't find my copy last year. Got it for around $15 if i remember right.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #57 on: 02 Jan 2007, 03:27 »

I enjoyed Snowboard Kids

Those games were absolutely fantastic.  My favourite racing games ever.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #58 on: 03 Jan 2007, 05:51 »

Earthseige 2

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

If you are a woman, which you are not, I will marry you.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

SaskiWhiteflower

• Plantmonster
« Reply #59 on: 06 Jan 2007, 22:51 »

I really enjoyed Cool Boarders 2... Still playin it sometimes.

http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/ps/cool_boarders_2.jpg

Echo Night was kinda cool

http://www.cheatcc.com/psx/pics/echo3.jpg
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2007, 22:54 by SaskiWhiteflower »
Ok...now we're ready to kill you

8ilbo

« Reply #60 on: 07 Jan 2007, 07:34 »

Echelon and its sequel, Wind Warriors....odd Russian low altitude futuristic flight combat....

By my reckoning I'm 3rd in the world ranking - I've never seen more than four people online at the same time  :roll:

Also James Pond: Bubble-oh-seven....none of this Robocod nonsense which is all people seem to know about these days...was one of my first games....

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #61 on: 09 Jan 2007, 23:05 »

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

If you are a woman, which you are not, I will marry you.

Yeah, and I already have a faux male online lover. Sorry :(

But, yes, Earthseige 2 was fuckin' ace.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Gurkburk

• Furry furrier
  • For I am a happy, happy pokemon!
« Reply #62 on: 11 Jan 2007, 01:00 »

Startopia, I know no greater arousal than spaceslugs now.
Quote from: Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said
"Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.

zacha

• Emoticontraindication
  • Cloudy Wolf
    • Life, Love & Why
« Reply #63 on: 11 Jan 2007, 03:07 »

Well.
The Sierra adventure games (the questy ones) are really good games which was popular a decade before everyone else at my age got interest in computer games... so to my generation they are kinda "lesser known".
The same goes to Lucas Arts adventure games... although I wasn't brought up on those so I don't like them as much.

But to name a "contemporary" game that I like and not many know of I would say... hmm... hmm... warning forever! that's a pretty unknown classic (check it out if you like challenging "spaceshipgames")
"Everything I have written may be wrong."

My life, My love, My why

Psychopickle

« Reply #64 on: 24 Jan 2007, 06:36 »

Anyone here heard of Disgaea?

Most addicting thing ever.

godinpants

• Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #65 on: 24 Jan 2007, 10:47 »

Super BC Kid on snes.
Out of everyone i know who owned a snes, no one had it. but i loved it.

I also agree with whoever before mentioned Commander Keen and Crystal Caves and HOCUS POCUS! I loved that game.

I remember this game, might've been called "vinyl: amazon warrior" or something like that, but for the life of me i cant find anything about it now.

There was this one called "Rescue Rover" where you had to save this dog, by pushing things around in a sokoban style.
Maybe just that as well "Sokoban", some of the most challenging puzzles you will ever come up against. http://www.pimpernel.com/sokoban/

Check out the Thinking Rabbit Versions for some real challenges.

Toeofdoom

« Reply #66 on: 25 Jan 2007, 18:04 »

Anarchy online is cool (Free MMO, can pay for expansions if you want too).

worms world party rocked,

and im trying out Space cowboy now.

What i wouldnt give for a Space combat sim written with physics like they have in all the novels, ie. realism ... apart from the obvious suckiness of crossing interstellar distances at the speed of light. If anyone knows of such a game, i demand you tell me immediately  :evil:

godinpants

• Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #67 on: 25 Jan 2007, 18:11 »

Speaking of space combat.

Isn't it always nice in movies and games, when two fleets of space battleships approach each other, that they both seem to have the same idea of what is "up".

Toeofdoom

« Reply #68 on: 25 Jan 2007, 18:15 »

Absolutely >.>

I mean, some games will get a few things right, like Eve online got the scale of most things in AUs and stuff, but then your ship is limited to say, 300 m/s rather than actually accelerating realistically. A game with a relativistic space flight engine, with black holes and gravity and stuff would be so cool. :D and wormholes for interstellar flight, and some faster thing like warp is in eve. but no "im gunna crash into a planet and go right through or bounce off" kinda shit.

Alphapenguin

• Plantmonster
  • Commander in Chief, Owl Liberation Front
« Reply #69 on: 26 Jan 2007, 06:52 »

Knights of Honor is a European RTS game (sort of like the Age of Empires games, but not) that I'm now addicted to. It's a medieval style RTS, like a lot of games in the Age of Empires mold, but with less emphasis on military conquest and more on economics, diplomacy, and backstabbing (you can send spies to infiltrate an enemy court and assassinate their king).

My only complaint is that the AI is a bit off-kilter, and it gets a bit unbalanced at times. For example, in one campaign I played through, an AI-controlled Wales once managed to take over all of Great Britain and France, and move on through Germany and Spain. Frigging WALES.

No offense to the Welsh, but you ain't exactly a military powerhouse.

Another time, while playing as Bohemia (basically the old-school Czech Republic), I took over most of Poland, Hungary, and the Balkans - and the rest of the world applauded me for it. I was confused and proud at the same time.

All in all, a fun game that nobody's ever heard of.
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #70 on: 26 Jan 2007, 06:57 »

Everyone ever has heard of Panzer Dragoon Orta, but nobody has played it.  I wonder why - relatively recent system, cheap, TOTALLY FUCKING AMAZING!  They made up their own language!  It's raaaaaaaaaaaad.

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #71 on: 26 Jan 2007, 07:05 »

The first two Suikodens were astonishing.  My favorite games!

Master Of Orion

The Secret Of Monkey Island

Full Throttle

Mr u Suk

« Reply #72 on: 26 Jan 2007, 08:11 »

The Bouncer.

one of the launch titles for the PS2, perfect fighting system (when ya got used to it), GREAT characters (i would say that Sora from KH is almost a physical rip of Sion, but Sion is 3X more B.A.). although it was short there was an amazing story compacted into about 2.5 hours...like a movie.

Scytale

« Reply #73 on: 26 Jan 2007, 09:14 »

Ultima Online was a big one for me I absolutely loved that game.

Other cool games were the two crusader games, I think no regret was the best one. Hell all the old Origin games were good like Wing Commander

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #74 on: 26 Jan 2007, 09:30 »

Bethesda is an amazing developer if you overlook that one drag racing game they put out...

but probably my favorite, lesser known game is The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

freaking, seven hours a day for three weeks straight....i beat most of it.

ackblom12

« Reply #75 on: 26 Jan 2007, 11:07 »

I'm not entirely certain Morrowind counts as "lesser known" considering it was a smashing success for both the X-Box and the PC.

hmm, a franchise that for its time was fairly well known, but nowdays it's hard to find anyone thats even heard the name of the games, is Quest for Glory.

I'm currently playing through them for the *insert impossibly large number* time. Also greatly anticipating when the AGD remake of QFG2, my favorite of the series.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/ Lookie!

rasufelle

« Reply #76 on: 26 Jan 2007, 11:11 »

You want a good Bethesda Softworks game?  Elder Scrolls Legends: Battlespire.  Fighting controls suck to no end when you have to use the mouse to both look around and swing your weapon, but the graphics are, like, totally sweet.

Legend of the Dragoon.  One of the GREATEST RPGs ever created, yet highly overlooked since it was released for the PS1 right at the start of the "next generation consoles" thing in 2000.  Good graphics, engrossing, and ABSOLUTELY the best videos and opening scenematic of any game I've ever played.

Or, another awesome game that most people never played- Casper for the PS1.  That game was great!

Ooh, goin' real old school though:  Haunted House on the Atari 2600.  And Zaxxon on the Colecovision.  Or how about Guardian Heroes from the Sega Saturn, or the original Panzer Dragoon?

Come to think of it, I've played, like, WAY too many video games in my life.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #77 on: 26 Jan 2007, 09:53 »

Another rulllll awesome game is Lands of Lore - Guardians of Destiny (just a random thought, but destiny is an anagram of density.  crazy!)  It was so cool - my first real PC game.

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #78 on: 27 Jan 2007, 17:33 »

Is Shenmue II one of those lesser-known games? I had it for the Xbox.

It was such a great game. Fighting was pretty good, and I liked the story a lot. They left it wide open for a sequel or three, but I don't think there's ever going to be a Shenmue 3.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #79 on: 27 Jan 2007, 18:34 »

Privateer. I loved flying around and that sort of thing. Freelancer too, which should have been more like Privateer.

I also love Fantasy Zone on the SMS/Mega Drive to bits.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

zacha

• Emoticontraindication
  • Cloudy Wolf
    • Life, Love & Why
« Reply #80 on: 29 Jan 2007, 09:09 »

Save Curly!
(I didn't... stupid me)
I'm not entirely certain Morrowind counts as "lesser known" considering it was a smashing success for both the X-Box and the PC.

hmm, a franchise that for its time was fairly well known, but nowdays it's hard to find anyone thats even heard the name of the games, is Quest for Glory.

I'm currently playing through them for the *insert impossibly large number* time. Also greatly anticipating when the AGD remake of QFG2, my favorite of the series.

http://www.agdinteractive.com/ Lookie!
Well... I have to agree. The second is the best of them. I mean aziza, laffin, the treewoman(can't remember her name), the groucho marx saurus seller, the astrologer. Those caracters is hard to forget. And the story, aaah. Sure the 4 elements is a classic but this game takes it farther than the clich?s...
(oh, and the possibility to see a princess naked and therefore totally losing the ability to become paladin is also a classic :D )
"Everything I have written may be wrong."

My life, My love, My why

ackblom12

« Reply #81 on: 29 Jan 2007, 15:06 »

Julanar was the tree woman :)

Really, the ad thing is that even though QFG2 is my favorite, it's like picking your favorite hot woman out of 5 amazingly hot sisters. In the end, you just try to pick them all.

Observer

« Reply #82 on: 29 Jan 2007, 15:13 »

BAHAMUT FUCKING LAGOON

Also, Starscape. Hella lasers!

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #83 on: 30 Jan 2007, 07:27 »

Another rulllll awesome game is Lands of Lore - Guardians of Destiny (just a random thought, but destiny is an anagram of density.  crazy!)  It was so cool - my first real PC game.

The first Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos was the best game ever. It was way ahead of it's time. Guardians of Destiny was awesome too, but then they ruined the whole series by coming out with Lands of Lore III (which was a vile FPS.) I miss those games, and I really wish I could find the old disks for that and somehow get it up and running...

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #84 on: 30 Jan 2007, 10:10 »

yeah, it was, but almost nobody but me and my friend Greg have played it where i'm from...so it's lesser known to me.  :/

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #86 on: 31 Jan 2007, 18:30 »

By the way, I know everyone knows of Psychonauts, but did anyone ever play it?
I've got to say it was amazing.  Everyone I've converted says so, but nobody I have met has played it on their own initiative.

Peter Harris

« Reply #87 on: 01 Feb 2007, 11:28 »

I can get pretty addicted to Kingdom of Loathing sometimes...

Warshrike

« Reply #88 on: 03 Feb 2007, 08:41 »

Someone else who's play Jagged Alliance 2!! Wewt!!
JA2 was friggin awesome, I got so hooked on the demo I HAD to track down the full version.

Another game I'll mention is Warlords Battlecry. An excellant game series, and WLBCII Is one of my favourite games like, ever. Release 2002, beats the ass out of every other Fantasy Strategy I've played. Think Warcraft III but good.

Exile. www.spiderwebsoftware.com (I think that's the right link, too lazy to check myself. Try dropping the software.)
I love the Exile series, and when I get around to it, will buy all four games(1, 2, 3 and Blades) full versions. I wish they would convert Avernum IV back to exile(Avernum being the 3d version, which I don't like due to the changes)

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #89 on: 04 Feb 2007, 01:55 »

Legend of the Dragoon.  One of the GREATEST RPGs ever created, yet highly overlooked since it was released for the PS1 right at the start of the "next generation consoles" thing in 2000.  Good graphics, engrossing, and ABSOLUTELY the best videos and opening scenematic of any game I've ever played.

You just reminded me that I lost the second disk, so I can't play it.  Thanks.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

rasufelle

« Reply #90 on: 05 Feb 2007, 21:31 »

I love LoD SOO much, at one point I had THREE COPIES of the game just IN CASE I lost a disk.

The same with FF VII and FF IX.

And RE:Director's Cut.

And a few others.

Who here actually played the original Frequency?  Great game, especially going back and playing it now and seeing when they didn't use effin' COVER ARTISTS to do the game songs.  Guitar Hero, you stand no chance against authentic Gwen Stefani vocals.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #91 on: 06 Feb 2007, 15:22 »

I PLAYED AMPLITUDE (which rawked.  hardcore.)

rasufelle

« Reply #92 on: 06 Feb 2007, 20:00 »

Shadow Hearts.

The only RPG I've ever played where some of the enemies attack you by SLAPPING YOU WITH THEIR PENIS.  Or the headless zombie girls whose legs split wide open and they bite you?  Weird, and yet quite fun.

An interesting side note: when I took this game in to GE to trade it in, one of the games I got- without knowing it- turns out to be the game that Shadow Hearts is a pseudo sequel to, Koudelka.  When these guys split from Square, I think they lost their minds and replaced them with fountains of gaming awesomeness.

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
« Reply #93 on: 12 Feb 2007, 02:40 »

I don't think that i need to mention old lucasarts adventures or Roguelikes...

Has anyone mentioned Ultima Underworld yet? That rocked ass in so many levels.
So did System Shock, both of them.

Combat Mission 1-3
Absolutely great strategy games.

And hey people, everyone that matters knows the Jagged Alliance series.
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

Vanilla Gorilla

« Reply #94 on: 12 Feb 2007, 08:58 »

Crystalis, this game was awesome, anybody else spend countless hours on this shit?

Mnbvcx

« Reply #95 on: 12 Feb 2007, 11:07 »

Man, Nobody ever seems to know about the Marathon Trilogy, which is definitely one of the best FPS series' in existance.

Also, has anybody here ever played ANY Turbo Grafx 16/CD games? I wouldn't be alive today without the help of the glorius TG-16.

GruntyBalboa

• Plantmonster
  • Work was fun
« Reply #96 on: 14 Feb 2007, 14:01 »

Jet Force Gemini. It was one of the few games I had for my N64, but it was a lot of fun. One of my regrets is having never beaten it...

Vanilla Gorilla

« Reply #97 on: 14 Feb 2007, 14:27 »

i completely forgot about jet force gemini, that game was bad assery at its finest!

GruntyBalboa

• Plantmonster
  • Work was fun
« Reply #98 on: 14 Feb 2007, 21:46 »

The Shuriken was was fun. Homing decap's were fun.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #99 on: 14 Feb 2007, 22:44 »

Also, has anybody here ever played ANY Turbo Grafx 16/CD games? I wouldn't be alive today without the help of the glorius TG-16.

Bonk FTW.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up