THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 18:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lesser known games you like  (Read 53059 times)

Marneus90

• Plantmonster
  • I found Jesus. He was in the kitchen.
Lesser known games you like
« on: 19 Dec 2006, 16:41 »

In reply to the "Great games you just don't care about??" I was thinking, what games do you play that, when you mention them, no-one has any idea what you're on about. Games you think are great, but nobody else likes it or has even heard of it.
One of the most underrated games, in my opinion, is Beyond Good and Evil. Nobody I know plays it but it's great.
98% of people believe the statistics in people's signatures. If you're one of the 2% who dont, copy and paste this into your sig.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Re: Lesser known games you like
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2006, 21:11 »

Hardly anyone my age knows of the awesomeness of LucasArts adventure games.

kompan

• Not quite a lurker
  • Go away or I will replace you with a shell script.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2006, 01:35 »

I can remember Bridge Construction Set (Pontifex 2) - great tool for every wannabe-designer. Includes various landscape, types of material (iron, steel, hardened steel, bridge lines), 2D and 3D building site view, colour marked construction points exposed to high force/damage, live preview of structure testing... sounds technical but it's very addictive.

And now I'm playing Atomic Cannon - clone of good old Tanks/Scorched Earth game. Many weapons, good graphics, music and special effects, highly configurable (humans/computers, round/deathmatch, difficulty, map size, budget limitations), long hours of fun assured.
Regards,  Kompan.  (|^.^|)        iMac G3      Mini G4     Civic 1.4

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2006, 01:37 »

The Black Cauldron by Sierra.

I love all those old Sierra adventure games.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

ackblom12

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2006, 02:04 »

Loom is one that it seems that no one but the biggest of old school gamers knows exist

BigD

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2006, 02:36 »

I still keep Dungeon Hack on my machine to just mess around with sometimes.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2006, 03:29 »

Shadow of the Colossus.
Hate, rain on me

doki

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2006, 04:16 »

there was a great game i played on my old mac called Spaceship Warlock, it was an awesome 3d adventure

then there are games like Life and Death by toolworks, where you played in surgery

one that i always thought a lot of people knew (but apparently i was wrong) was The Journeyman Project series

and my favorite was a simple game called Riddle Of The Maze

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2006, 11:08 »

"The Longest Journey" trilogy.  Third one isn't out yet...but that's besides the point.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2006, 11:13 »

Isn't the third one... never coming out? I mean, considering how well the first two sold.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2006, 11:21 »

Loom is one that it seems that no one but the biggest of old school gamers knows exist

Loom is fantastic. It was a gorgeous game for its time and stands up pretty well, I find.

The Laura Bow games were pretty good, too. Basically Detective's Quest, but still really good. Also, that reminds me that I wish more people knew about the game Deja Vu for the NES.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ackblom12

« Reply #11 on: 20 Dec 2006, 12:10 »

Loom was definitely awesome. It makes me sad that the game's story will never be finished.

doki

« Reply #12 on: 20 Dec 2006, 12:31 »

Loom is fantastic. It was a gorgeous game for its time and stands up pretty well, I find.

The Laura Bow games were pretty good, too. Basically Detective's Quest, but still really good. Also, that reminds me that I wish more people knew about the game Deja Vu for the NES.

i played Deja vu on the apple II

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #13 on: 20 Dec 2006, 12:53 »

Nethack - It's a D&Desque dungeon crawl. Starring @ as the intrepid hero, it follows his trials and tribulations battling other letters and symbols in an effort to retrieve the long lost ________ of ________.

Good times.

Zombie Nation - A giant decapitated zombie head regurgitates fireballs on an endless stream of tanks, jets, and fighter planes.  Extra credit for being really hard and having a great WTF??? factor.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

ackblom12

« Reply #14 on: 20 Dec 2006, 13:08 »

Oh yeah, and Deja Vu was also awesome.

Waking up in the bathroom with a drug induced bout of amnesia is such a great way to start your day.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #15 on: 20 Dec 2006, 21:20 »

Earthbound. I love this game to death, but the fact that no sequels have come out in years and years in the U.S. means even I forget about this game every so often.

Jagged Alliance 2. What a great frigging game. An open ended, turn based strategy game where you play a group of mercenaries trying to liberate a country from a fascist queen. Has RPG elements and a great sense of humor.

The Arc The Lad series, original trilogy. Forget the bad-to-just-plain-average PS2 sequels. I bought the Working Designs boxset of the first three Arc games when it came out years ago, and they were/are some of the best strategy RPGs ever. I never finished the second one because it gets downright absurd toward the end in terms of difficulty and how-much-you-can-accomplish, but someday, maybe...The third one was actually my favorite, which is apparently the one nobody else likes.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2006, 23:23 »

Earthbound is brill. Also, Seiken Densetsu.

There's lots of (probably not that good) scrollers and platformers I remember from my youth that I normally only ever got to play one fourth of because they were all shareware my dad was too mean to send off for the other episodes. I mean stuff like Hocus Pocus, Crystal Caves, Commander Keen, Starfire and whatnot. From my memories, I'm pretty sure some of the Commander Keen games (4 I think was pretty good) and Hocus Pocus might have actually been genuinely excellent games.

Best unknown game of all time is almost certainly Fragile Allegiance however. Such a fucking good game! It's a space strategy from about 1996, you're a regional manager in charge of asteroid mining for some dodgy as fuck interstellar megacorp. It was so in-depth! Right down to the level of being able to customise every hardpoint on every fucking starfighter you built (which would invariably be engaged in  awesome, borderline psychedelic laser battles with whatever aliens you'd been pissing off the most, whilst missiles were raining down and shooting up left and right. The coolest things, though, were probably the really in-depth background on all the technology and races or whatnot you could read up on on your intelligence computer, and the advanced trading/diplomacy system. There were so many cool points: like when you hired people (asteroid managers, security personnel etc.) you'd get the glossy company file to make your decisions, but you could also buy up information on the black market, which would tell you how good they really were.

You could also buy up genetically engineered viruses and neutron bombs. I think the evillest thing I ever did was to unleash this plague on some aliens without their knowledge...right after I had bought up all the medicine to treat it that was available in the sector. Oh how they died. The really funny thing was, the medicine had no effect on humans! I eventually sold it back to them at vastly inflated prices AND THEN POUNDED THEM WITH MISSILES TILL THEIR LAST BASE WAS JUST A BARREN ROCK POCKMARKED WITH CRATERS AND FLICKERING ELECTRICAL STORMS!!

Such a good game.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2006, 23:40 »

My money still is all for Star Control 2.

Google "The Ur-Quan Masters" - freeware version of SC2, full version, etc. It's a fantastic game, even today. I just replayed it about 2 months ago. It's so freaking good.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #18 on: 21 Dec 2006, 06:23 »

Spaceship Warlock was awesome, I remember playing that when I was young at my uncle's.

I found a Gameboy Color cartridge of Deja Vu someone must have left here because I surely dont recall getting it.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #19 on: 21 Dec 2006, 10:07 »

Isn't the third one... never coming out? I mean, considering how well the first two sold.

Ragnar said he was still gonna do it, but he's working on an MMO right now, then he's gonna go back to it.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

camelpimp

« Reply #20 on: 22 Dec 2006, 01:48 »

I second the love for the first two Arc the Lad games (the third was awful, in me opinion).

And on the subject of Working Designs-translated games: Lunar. I played the orgininal Sega CD releases, and they blew away any other RPGs of it's day. The PSX remakes have saved them from total obscurity, but barely. I still hope for an honest to god Lunar 3, but it's just not going to happen...

Also, Soulblazer. That was really more of a game my sister played, but I must admit it does kick ass.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2006, 02:11 »

You guys, Cave Story.

Cave Story, you guys.
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

SaskiWhiteflower

• Plantmonster
« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2006, 02:41 »

Ekhm if this forum would be one from europe I would say Crimsonland... but here ... I'm not so sure ;p
Ok...now we're ready to kill you

feel good lost

« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2006, 04:28 »

Earthbound. I love this game to death, but the fact that no sequels have come out in years and years in the U.S. means even I forget about this game every so often.

Earthbound was one of the greatest games produced for SNES. Right up there with Chrono Trigger and Metroid.
If you look in the town Foursquare and go to one of the builidings you can't enter a sign next to it says. "Earthbound 2 Production Unit." or something like that. It always got me excited for a sequel, but as you said earlier - nothing to date.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2006, 04:39 »

I am a huge fan of the Gothic series.  A huge fan.  I can regurgitate almost every bit of dialogue from those games.  Love does not even begin to describe how I feel.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

perenialloser

« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2006, 05:53 »

Dunno if this would count as lesser-known (given that it was given a big ad campaign by Nintendo. Well, big for the time) but Treasure's Mischief Makers (Go! Go! Troublemakers in Japan) was one of my favourite games on the N64 by far. Just one of those really quirky 2D games that Treasure always managed to serve up. Any game that comes up with the concept of a math game in an Olympics style setting is on to something special.

Also gotta give a shout to Psyvariar (PS2), kind of an underrated shmup over here, but bleeding well addictive if you got into it.

the_tard

« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2006, 11:04 »

Commander Keen ftw. remember playing that when I was about 5-ish. I'm gonna look it up now and see if I can't find it for fun.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: 22 Dec 2006, 11:22 »

Summon Nights: Swordcraft Story 2

I wish I had played the first but if it was anything like the second then I would have loved it.

doki

« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2006, 12:11 »

You guys, Cave Story.

Cave Story, you guys.

Dude, i am adictted to this now.  i cant contain either my hatred or my joy

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #29 on: 22 Dec 2006, 15:28 »

Does EVE qualify? because next to WoW it's EXTREMELY lesser known. EVE doesn't have TV ads (though it totally should). http://ccp.vo.llnwd.net/o2/video/2/RevelationsTrailer.wmv

iIf we're going for more obscure, give Perimeter a try. imagine an RTS where your troops can instantly turn themselves into a different type of troop. From soldier to rocket buggy to flying gunship to artillery platform to tunneling assault vehicle to laser sniper to FLYING laser sniper and more. now have two sides doing that to each other, their troops constantly shifting in search of an edge, or to set off a weakness, and suddenly you know what Perimeter's all about.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #30 on: 22 Dec 2006, 22:21 »

props to Commander Keen and Soulblazer.

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
« Reply #31 on: 22 Dec 2006, 22:50 »

You guys, Cave Story.

Cave Story, you guys.

Dude, i am adictted to this now.  i cant contain either my hatred or my joy

Save Curly!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: 23 Dec 2006, 05:52 »

Ekhm if this forum would be one from europe I would say Crimsonland... but here ... I'm not so sure ;p

Crimsonland is fucking brilliant, but the best Reflexive Arcade game by far is Jets and Guns, which is a side scrolling shooter game that features music by Machinae Supremacy and levels of destruction and mayhem so high they verge on the psychedelic.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ackblom12

« Reply #33 on: 23 Dec 2006, 06:24 »

Earthbound is brill. Also, Seiken Densetsu.

There's lots of (probably not that good) scrollers and platformers I remember from my youth that I normally only ever got to play one fourth of because they were all shareware my dad was too mean to send off for the other episodes. I mean stuff like Hocus Pocus, Crystal Caves, Commander Keen, Starfire and whatnot. From my memories, I'm pretty sure some of the Commander Keen games (4 I think was pretty good) and Hocus Pocus might have actually been genuinely excellent games.

Best unknown game of all time is almost certainly Fragile Allegiance however. Such a fucking good game! It's a space strategy from about 1996, you're a regional manager in charge of asteroid mining for some dodgy as fuck interstellar megacorp. It was so in-depth! Right down to the level of being able to customise every hardpoint on every fucking starfighter you built (which would invariably be engaged in  awesome, borderline psychedelic laser battles with whatever aliens you'd been pissing off the most, whilst missiles were raining down and shooting up left and right. The coolest things, though, were probably the really in-depth background on all the technology and races or whatnot you could read up on on your intelligence computer, and the advanced trading/diplomacy system. There were so many cool points: like when you hired people (asteroid managers, security personnel etc.) you'd get the glossy company file to make your decisions, but you could also buy up information on the black market, which would tell you how good they really were.

You could also buy up genetically engineered viruses and neutron bombs. I think the evillest thing I ever did was to unleash this plague on some aliens without their knowledge...right after I had bought up all the medicine to treat it that was available in the sector. Oh how they died. The really funny thing was, the medicine had no effect on humans! I eventually sold it back to them at vastly inflated prices AND THEN POUNDED THEM WITH MISSILES TILL THEIR LAST BASE WAS JUST A BARREN ROCK POCKMARKED WITH CRATERS AND FLICKERING ELECTRICAL STORMS!!

Such a good game.

You sir, have have caused the last 12 hours of my life to go MIA by bringing this game up.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #34 on: 23 Dec 2006, 09:39 »

Anyone else play Gothic?  The most immersive RPG I have ever laid hands on. 

Hell, I like Startopia, too.  Anyone else played that?
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

MeowMix217

« Reply #35 on: 25 Dec 2006, 13:57 »

Quake 3 Fortress!! based off the original Quake World, it was a mod for Quake 3. AMAZING!!!!!!

SaskiWhiteflower

• Plantmonster
« Reply #36 on: 25 Dec 2006, 17:24 »

Flaming I played the first Gothic... yea it's pretty god damn nice :)

SaskiWhiteflower

• Plantmonster
« Reply #37 on: 25 Dec 2006, 17:24 »

And the cave story is awesome :) IIIIIII like it :)

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
  • Time for some thrillin' heroics.
« Reply #38 on: 25 Dec 2006, 20:06 »

MechCommander. Damn, that's such an awesome game, even though I've played it through at least 6 times now.

I mean, team-based RTSes are awesome to begin with. And the one thing that makes them better? Make it a team of giant freakin' robots!

Makes me sad all over again that M$ has 'suspended development' of further Battletech games. *Sniff*

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #39 on: 28 Dec 2006, 09:22 »

Earthseige 2
Tribes 2

Earthseige 1 wasn't nearly as good, Earthseige 3 ended up becoming Starsiege, an online computer game and one I just wasn't very good at. These games were also the precursor Tribes series, an online computer game that I was pretty freakin' good at. Tribes 1 was a lot of fun but 2 just blew the damn thing out of the water. Tribes 3, however, suffered the same fate as the third Earthseige game, in my opinion, and just wasn't nearly as good as its predecessors.

Earthseige 2 was an amazingly fun mech game and, while it followed a very linear and not too original storyline, the missions you went on were so psychotic, engrossing, challenging and downright fun that they made you care. Terrific weapons (Plasma Cannon! ELF!) pretty good AI on both enemies and allies and a lot of fun mission based objectives you had to take care.

Tribes 2 is one of the most fun experiences I've ever had in online play. Once you got the hang of the jetpack and once you figured out the maps, you could pull off the most insane stunts. I've never had more fun playing capture the flag than this. Such an immersive game, too. You could destroy the electricity generators in enemy bases, preventing any enemy characters from having anything but the weapons, armor and accessories you spawned with. There were vehicles, there were deployable mines and turrets, you could purchase accessories such as the energy pack (use your jetpack longer), repair pack (repair your generators, turrets, etc), shield packs (take more damage). A team had to communicate well and everybody had to play a role, you couldn't just all storm the other team and expect to accomplish anything. Amazing game.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

The Cosmic Fool

« Reply #40 on: 28 Dec 2006, 10:07 »

Black & White is a lesser known game that I loved to death. Being a god is tough if you love to micromanage everything.

GileX

« Reply #41 on: 28 Dec 2006, 17:17 »

I loved sonic adventure on the Dreamcast, sonic adventure 2 sucked penis but the original made up for it (yes it was that good).

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #42 on: 29 Dec 2006, 00:20 »

The original Sonic Adventure was ace. I liked the mix of exploration bits with action bits.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #43 on: 29 Dec 2006, 00:56 »

Man, when was that game released, like 1999?

What I am trying to say is that there have been no good Sonic games since that one came out.

Seriously Sega, what the fuck are you doing?

ackblom12

« Reply #44 on: 29 Dec 2006, 01:44 »

Man, when was that game released, like 1999?

What I am trying to say is that there have been no good Sonic games since that one came out.

Seriously Sega, what the fuck are you doing?

Meh, Sega hasn't done to bad, it just seems that the Sonic Team has made it there life mission to destroy the Sonic franchise.

Will

• Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #45 on: 29 Dec 2006, 01:49 »

I used to have Echo The Dolphin for the Sega Game Gear.  I loved that game...
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 29 Dec 2006, 02:13 »

You'd think Sega would be more protective of their flagship franchise. I guess I'm just used to Nintendo delaying a game for 3 years until they can put a good one together rather than daring to tarnish a character with a clunker.

Except for like, Kirby's Air Ride. But nobody remembers or cares about that game anyway.

ackblom12

« Reply #47 on: 29 Dec 2006, 02:20 »

Kirby's what ride? That game does not exist.

Actually, One thing I have noticed about the console fanbase is the seeming hatred for delays that are longer than a single week on game releases. Maybe it's cause I've been gaming on my PC since i was a wee lad, and I've been with Nintendo for about the same amount of time, but console delays are jack shit to the PC.

Hell, Zelda was on par with the average delay time for PC games.

But yeah. Sonic Team can blow me.

camelpimp

« Reply #48 on: 29 Dec 2006, 02:42 »

Maybe that's why Working Designs went under. Well, I think they went under. How could they not? It was, what, a year delay for the Lunar 1 remake?

ackblom12

« Reply #49 on: 29 Dec 2006, 02:57 »

They definitely went under.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_Designs

Of course delays were kinda there specialty. That and they were delays on games that a majority of America didn't really want at the time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up