THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 10:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 11559 times)

doki

Star Trek
« on: 11 Dec 2006, 16:20 »

Ok, its time to come out of the woodwork.

I am a Trekker.

I follow adventures in deep space from the 23rd and 24th centuries.   i can tell you how a transporter works and the meaning of the word Jefferies Tube.

and i know i'm not alone.  I was curious if any of you guys watched, what your favorite series was, characters, ships, just a bit of general nerdity

for the record, i love TNG, and Bashir is one of my favorite characters from what i've seen

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2006, 23:41 »

The original series and DS9 were consistently great. TNG disappeared up its own ass and Voyager was kind of inconsistent. Don't even talk about Enterprise.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2006, 23:45 »

I would admit my love of all things Trek, that I know that Captain Kirk (whose middle name is Tiberius) succeeded Captain Christopher Pike, Commander Riker plays the trombone, Quark is really the principal from Buffy except with (sligthly) bigger ears, and that Captain Janeway is a widow, but it would be too embarrassing to reveal my geek side, so I won't.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2006, 23:51 »

Don't forget Data's cat, Spot.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2006, 02:07 »

Yes, his male cat, Spot, who later had kittens in the episode where evolution goes all wonky. I wouldn't want to admit that, either.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

doki

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2006, 03:50 »

I never saw Enterprise, but i was one of the guys in support of it.  Technology = magic in the 24th century, and EVERYBODY can be negotiated with.  i like the idea of a ship from the past and following its adventures.  did they somehow manage to screw that up?

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2006, 05:47 »

Yeah, they did. Rather than go the Battlestar Galactica route and make an awesome, realistic, gritty frontier show about explorers in the infancy of space travel, they made a big pile of crap relying on fanservice and an interesting overarching story that fell flat.

ForksOfSalvation

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2006, 16:19 »

I recently started watching star trek.  I've seen about half of TNG, and only a few of TOS and DS9, and Voyager.  I was addicted for awhile, but I've been cutting back.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2006, 22:10 »

I would admit my love of all things Trek, that I know that Captain Kirk (whose middle name is Tiberius) succeeded Captain Christopher Pike, Commander Riker plays the trombone, Quark is really the principal from Buffy except with (sligthly) bigger ears, and that Captain Janeway is a widow, but it would be too embarrassing to reveal my geek side, so I won't.

Lol.

No, seriously, is this supposed to be arcane Star Trek knowledge?

Come ooon, what was the cardassian name for Deep Space Nine? What was Spocks childhood pet and what happened to it? Why does Picard play a Ressikan flute, whats his older brother called, and what birth defect did he suffer from? Who invented data and what was his daughter called? What was the name of Christopher Pikes horse?

I mean, come on, this is pretty low grade nerdery people.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2006, 22:46 »

Damn, you're good.

I have heard the Cardassian name for DS9, but I didn't watch that show regularly.
Spock's childhood pet... shit. Oh-for-two.
Picard lived an entire adult life as someone else in The Inner Light, and that guy played the flute. Picard retained his flutability afterwards.
His brother is Robert (pronounced Ro-Bare, since he's French). His birth defect is that he's huge and butt-ugly.
Data was invented by Dr. Soong. His daughter was Lol. (lol!)
Pike had a horse? Shit.

4 out of 8. Not good enough to clinch, but could possibly nab a wildcard spot.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2006, 01:20 »

[INSERT PON FARR JOKE HERE]

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:40 »

1. Terak Nor
2. Sehlat - it's injured when Spock saves his younger self, so he euthanizes it.
5. Tango

--edit--

Poster for Star Trek XI.

Will be set in the 2250s, (note the original Starfleet logo with command gold and science blue colours) revolving around a young Kirk and Spock. J.J. Abrams (Lost, M:I:iii) is producing and supposidly directing. Rick Berman isn't involved. Matt Damon may play Kirk, but hasn't been approached yet. Lots of other rumours floating around on the tubes.
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2006, 04:46 by mberan42 »
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2006, 05:18 »

Yes, it was a sehlat! I forgot about the cartoon series, which is canon. Good one.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2006, 05:19 »

So it's not geeky enough to go to an internet forum based on a webcomic, but we have to actually talk about Star Trek and out-geek each other?

Damn!

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2006, 12:16 »

Will be set in the 2250s, (note the original Starfleet logo with command gold and science blue colours) revolving around a young Kirk and Spock. J.J. Abrams (Lost, M:I:iii) is producing and supposidly directing. Rick Berman isn't involved. Matt Damon may play Kirk, but hasn't been approached yet. Lots of other rumours floating around on the tubes.

I have to go back in time and make this not true, while simultaneously erasing every movie from Generations forward.

doki

« Reply #15 on: 13 Dec 2006, 18:03 »

meh

im looking forward to the movie

and fuck you first contact was great

mberan42

« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2006, 20:46 »

Yeah, I actually liked First Contact. I wasn't too thrilled with Generations, though - I don't like the whole crossover premise. Yeah, I understand why they had to do it, but nonetheless I don't like it.

Insurrection was ok. A bit too new-agey for me, although it stayed pretty true to the original series.

I don't remember much about Nemesis. I think I only saw it once in the theatre. I hated how it ended, though - Data is by far my favourite character on TNG.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2006, 21:53 »

SPOILERS

But they set up a Data resurrection kinda thing earlier in that flick by having Data do a "full backup". So now they have a full backup of Data software, and a working piece of hardware that's essentially the same, too.  Gee, I wonder what they're going to do now that Data's all blowed up. Technically it's not Data, but close enough I guess.

Cheesy and horribly telegraphed, yet I can't help slightly admiring the nod to the original series and how they did basically the same thing with Spock. He "backed up" his memories into McCoy, his body got fried, but then reborn or whatever on the Genesis planet, and he got the refusion. Plus Data is like the TNG version of Spock.

mberan42

« Reply #18 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:10 »

Oh, cool. I didn't know that Data did a 'full backup' or whatever. Like I said, I've only seen it once.

ForksOfSalvation

« Reply #19 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:56 »

Does it make me less of a man that I almost teared up when data died?

I don't think so.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #20 on: 14 Dec 2006, 23:23 »

His brother is Robert (pronounced Ro-Bare, since he's French).

Good, but I meant Jean-Lucs birth defect, which was that he was born hyper-sensitive to sound. Though that would also count for Robert because it's common to all male Picards.

Pike had a horse? Shit.

Pike only appears in one episode (well, two, but it's a two parter) and he rides his horse in it. Yeah, it's called Tango.

Also, Datas daughter is LAL, not lol.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #21 on: 15 Dec 2006, 02:08 »

That premise for XI sounds terrible, by the way.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #22 on: 15 Dec 2006, 07:19 »

I love Star Trek. In all its forms. I am nowhere near a Trekkie, but I love it when I see it.

Oddly, I equally love Star Wars. I guess it's like this...

Star Trek series and movies are better, IMO, than the Star Wars films.
But the Star Wars games and mythos/universe is better than Star Trek games and mythos/universe...IMO.

doki

« Reply #23 on: 15 Dec 2006, 08:21 »

did i hear that Matt Damon was gonna dephile the role of kirk? :? :x

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #24 on: 15 Dec 2006, 08:27 »

Star Trek is Star Wars for people who want to die alone.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

doki

« Reply #25 on: 15 Dec 2006, 09:19 »

Star Trek is Star Wars for people who want to die alone.

words alone cannot describe how much that statement pisses me off

jolijn

« Reply #26 on: 17 Dec 2006, 16:03 »

the best thing about star trek are....the ships? haha. seriously though i like the ship designs but i can't be bothered to watch star trek.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #27 on: 17 Dec 2006, 22:14 »

I have the blueprints of the Enterprise D.

Yes, that's right, the blueprints. On 13 A2 sheets.

Nerdy, I know, but seriously, have you never lain awake at night wondering what deck Stellar Cartography is on?

It's Deck 31. Port side. Between an air conditioning plant and some contingency crew quarters. Also, does anyone have any idea why they've got, like, 30 fucking dolphins stashed away in big tanks on deck 14? I'm sure they must have been mentioned at least once in the series.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2006, 22:33 by KharBevNor »

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #28 on: 18 Dec 2006, 01:15 »

Which one is the Enterprise D? I have not really watched enough of the later shows to know what the hell the differences between all the different Enterprises are.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #29 on: 18 Dec 2006, 04:28 »

D is Next Generation.

That is crazy lax star trek know-how.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #30 on: 18 Dec 2006, 05:46 »

Dolphins?? I think maybe they learned a lesson or two from Seaquest DSV.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #31 on: 18 Dec 2006, 16:04 »

D is Next Generation.

That is crazy lax star trek know-how.

I am not really a huge fan of TNG, or anything after it, although I have been known to tune into DS9 from time to time, and most of the TNG movies were pretty alright. Honestly, the less dated the series looks, the less I am interested, as a general rule of thumb. Also, the more times the crew of a series visits a vastly improbable planet drastically altered in a way that resembles some kind of 1900's Earth Culture, the better.

Actually any episode with Q in it rules as well, so there is the only hole in my theory.

Yes, it was a sehlat! I forgot about the cartoon series, which is canon. Good one.

I am pretty sure this isn't the case. I can't exactly remember why, but I'm sure it gets brought up in one of the TOS commentaries. I'm sure Spocks mother talks about his pet in Journey to Babel though.

The Animated Series came out on DVD here a few weeks ago, at exactly the same time I swore I was not going to buy any more DVD's for a while, which annoyed the crap out of me.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2006, 16:12 by Hat »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #32 on: 18 Dec 2006, 16:17 »

My ultimate all-encompassing opinion of Trek:

The Original Series: Groundbreaking for its time, with several great episodes, but now incredibly dated and nearly unwatchable except for a laugh. More on this later.

TNG: Brilliant. Usually not crap, everything was top notch about this series. The plots were great, the acting was almost always at leats tolerable, and it's still not aging. I still watch this at least once a week. Because I am a nerd.

DS9: Even better. Amazing acting. Great characters. And the most impressive plot of all Trek. It was an achievement that no other Trek has been able to match and I don't think they ever will. I wish this was on as often as TNG.

Voyager: Arse. It had a good premise, ruined by bad acting, bad plots, and the miserable pitiful destruction of all the good plots that TNG started: Q, the Borg, the Maquis. It's depressing.

Enterprise: It began as more of the same as Voyager, only this time they were ruining the plots Voyager started, which is fine, because it doesn't matter. Then Berman and Braga, the fuckers who got control after DS9, started losing control. By the fourth season, Manny Coto, a relative newcomer, had reigns of Trek.

And he rocked. Enterprise makes me terrible sad, because the fourth season was really good and no one watched it.

Which leads me back around to TOS. The last season of Enterprise was pretty much the Original Series, redone with a different crew and with modern sci-fi TV standards. I want a real remake to occur, exactly like that, with Coto at the helm. It would be amazing.

I'm a geek.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #33 on: 19 Dec 2006, 00:25 »

Hmm, I was sure I read somewhere that TAS was considered canon, by virtue of Gene Roddenberry's name in the credits and TOS actors doing the voices. Amanda may have mentioned it during Journey to Babel, but the detail regarding Spock going back in time and visiting his family (including his younger self) is definitely from TAS. I used to know the name he used, too, but I've forgotten.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #34 on: 19 Dec 2006, 06:29 »

The animated series is not normally considered canon. At least, not in the official star trek publications. Like the star trek encyclopedia. Which I own.

Only current up to first contact though. I came to trekkydom young.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #35 on: 19 Dec 2006, 12:44 »

Pike only appears in one episode (well, two, but it's a two parter) and he rides his horse in it. Yeah, it's called Tango.

Three if you're counting The Cage.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #36 on: 19 Dec 2006, 22:45 »

It seems kind of cheating to count the Menagerie and the Cage, as almost all the footage in The Cage gets re-used in The Menagerie.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #37 on: 19 Dec 2006, 22:57 »

That's because The Cage was the original pilot, presented to the network but never aired. The Menagerie came later and provided a nifty way to use that original footage. You probably knew that already, though.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #38 on: 20 Dec 2006, 01:15 »

Well, yes.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #39 on: 20 Dec 2006, 02:31 »

Nerds.

I love me some TNG.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #40 on: 20 Dec 2006, 10:10 »

It seems kind of cheating to count the Menagerie and the Cage, as almost all the footage in The Cage gets re-used in The Menagerie.

Yeah I know, I just wanted to make up for the fact that I do not know the differences between Ship classes.

Also as much as I don't like what I've seen of Voyager, I really like the Doctor Character. It seems like my favorite character in all the series is the Doctor, except for TNG. Not sure why that is. Bones has always been my long time favorite just because he's the only one that would ever bother to argue with Spock about anything.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #41 on: 21 Dec 2006, 02:22 »

Also as much as I don't like what I've seen of Voyager, I really like the Doctor Character. It seems like my favorite character in all the series is the Doctor, except for TNG. Not sure why that is. Bones has always been my long time favorite just because he's the only one that would ever bother to argue with Spock about anything.

Beverly Crusher isn't such an interesting character, and I'm pretty sure she gets a lot less screen time than particularly Bones or the EMH.  Voyager and TOS revolve around dangerous away missions. Even though the EMH can't leave the ship (or even the medical bay, as far as I remember) he is normally to be found patching someone up in pretty much every episode of Voyager. And in TOS, Bones is pretty much joint second in command, as far as seniority goes. He has a major part in every episode I can think of, he has catchphrases (actually, so does the EMH: "Please state the nature of your medical emergency"), the whole shebang. There are whole episodes of TNG where Crusher doesn't even get screen time (She has a few episodes devoted to her of course, but hey, so does Reginald Barclay). There seemed, indeed, to be more focus on her son.

I mean, to be honest, I had to think for a good ten seconds before I could remember her full name. Also, come to think of it, she doesn't even last the whole series. She goes off to some starfleet hq position and gets replaced by Dr. Pulaski.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2006, 02:26 by KharBevNor »

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #42 on: 21 Dec 2006, 02:43 »

Actually theres at least one episode I can recall that doesn't have Bones in it, but that was a really weird episode. It was the one with the dude who got all the God-like powers. I can't remember a whole lot about it except that you shouldn't watch it on acid, and the guy made a grave for kirk with the name as "James H. Kirk".

Hahahah oh man I just remembered a deadpool comic where Deadpool is picking on some Star Trek geek during a job and starts mouthing off about Deforest Kelly, and then burns him to a stump declaring "Damnit, I'm a Doctor, not a Zippo Lighter!!"

Also, has anyone noticed that whenever something went weird in TOS, it always involved Sulu turning into a pirate, or a cowboy or something?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #43 on: 21 Dec 2006, 03:01 »

Hmn, yes, he does that a lot. Then again, that sort of shit happens quite a lot to other people as well.

And, yes, of course, you're talking about the second pilot, the first actual Star Trek episode aired. 'Where No Man Has Gone Before', it is called I believe. The one where they go to the edge of the galaxy yeah? As far as I'm aware I think they over-packed it a bit with effects and action to try and address the criticisms that had been levelled at The Cage. As far as I remember, Kirk, Spock and possibly Scotty are pretty much the only regular characters in it (or at least, the only ones we tend to think of as regular characters, ie, people who made it to the movies).

To be honest, if I wasn't pretty sure Gene Roddenberry was a quite tight-laced fellow (I've always imagine him as a sort of sci-fi writer equivalent of Mr. Rogers) I would imagine that quite a lot of the original Star Trek might have been written with the aid of psychedelic drugs. Of course, Roddenberry didn't write most of the episodes, and I have no idea about the artists, guest directors etc. so who knows. Though to be fair to it, you've got to remember that the original Star Trek was written in an entirely different sci-fi tradition to what we have today, a tradition which, in fact, Star Trek probably helped shift quite a bit. There was always more of a legacy in Star Trek to things like Flash Gordon and Amazing Tales magazine than 'serious' sci-fi. One of the reasons that TNG is so much less dated, to our eyes, is that it was operating in much more the same culture: In the 20 years since ToS we'd been exposed to things like Alien, Blade Runner and The Neuromancer. We knew where computers were going, and we knew that we almost certainly would not be wearing miniskirts and silver jumpsuits in the future.

Mores the pity.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #44 on: 21 Dec 2006, 03:24 »

Beverly Crusher isn't such an interesting character, and I'm pretty sure she gets a lot less screen time than particularly Bones or the EMH.  Voyager and TOS revolve around dangerous away missions. Even though the EMH can't leave the ship (or even the medical bay, as far as I remember) he is normally to be found patching someone up in pretty much every episode of Voyager. And in TOS, Bones is pretty much joint second in command, as far as seniority goes. He has a major part in every episode I can think of, he has catchphrases (actually, so does the EMH: "Please state the nature of your medical emergency"), the whole shebang. There are whole episodes of TNG where Crusher doesn't even get screen time (She has a few episodes devoted to her of course, but hey, so does Reginald Barclay). There seemed, indeed, to be more focus on her son.

I mean, to be honest, I had to think for a good ten seconds before I could remember her full name. Also, come to think of it, she doesn't even last the whole series. She goes off to some starfleet hq position and gets replaced by Dr. Pulaski.

Beverly Crusher took a position with StarFleet Medical for one season and was replaced by Dr. Pulaski, but she came back for the remainder of the series, and they actually gave her some reasonably interesting things to do. Also, she and Capt. Picard are old friends, as her late husband and Picard were crewmates, and they tried to play up the tension between them. The series finale, which takes place several years in the future, mentions "Captain Picard" but it turns out to be none other than the former Beverly Crusher, implying that they do get married at some point.

In the early seasons, there was definitely more of a focus on Wesley the Wonder Boy, but then he became a transcendental being and went galaxy-hopping with The Traveler, and I don't think we ever see him again. Beverly is devastated, of course, and Picard comes to her quarters late one night with a bottle of wine and a special mix CD, and... well you get the idea.

Okay, I may have made that last part up. But she does eventually become Beverly Picard.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #45 on: 21 Dec 2006, 04:11 »

That's not quite right. In the last episode of TNG, Picard is time-hopping around with Q. He marries Crusher in one of the alternative timelines we visit. I'm reasonably sure all the future histories in that episode are destroyed anyway. Worf was the governor of a klingon planet and Data was a Cambridge professor in one of them. Anyway, it can't be the case because they're most certainly not married in the TNG films. I even just checked Memory Alpha (I feel like a nerd for even knowing it exists) to be sure. But yeah, my knowledge isn't quite so hot on either the second half of TNG, or the ends of either Voyager or DS9, because of the time I basically stopped watching TV with any regularity, when I was about 14. Cut off my viewing and re-runs and whatnot. ToS is the only series where I can categorically say I have seen every episode. Or at least I'm pretty damn sure I have.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 21 Dec 2006, 04:16 »

It's still a possible future, even if it's not the actual future.

And the EMH did eventually get to leave the medical bay, after Voyager was sent back in time to 1999 where a time traveler from the 29th century had accidentally crashed, causing a technology mogul to try to reverse engineer the future tech and become vastly rich. Among the 29th century technology was a portable holographic emitter that The Doctor could wear that they took back with them to the 24th century.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #47 on: 21 Dec 2006, 05:04 »

I'm pretty sure events since have made it impossible, if in fact that episode itself happening didn't do that.

Ah, yeah, I thought the EMH got a device so he could leave sick-bay. It's just, when I tried to think what it was and when, the only things I could come up with were things like 'Light Bee' and 'Hard Light' and then I was all 'shit, did I actually just confuse Star Trek and Red Dwarf?' and I wisely decided to shut up.

Man, I feel like drinking some more and going to watch some Red Dwarf.

Pages: [1]   Go Up