THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 18:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend me some bands!  (Read 6511 times)

ozroller

Recommend me some bands!
« on: 16 Dec 2006, 15:40 »

Stuck in a rut lately, need some fresh listenin'.
So how about some recommendations based on www.last.fm/user/ozroller
I am aware that last.fm has in-built recommendations, but seeing as though these are based on "people who listened to artist X also listen to artist Y", and this doesn't work if people have varied tastes.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Re: Recommend me some bands!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2006, 15:46 »

Smog, Quack Quack and the Minutemen.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2006, 16:29 »

Relevant to your Last.FM:

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - Tyranny Of Distance
Porcupine Tree - "Stupid Dream", "Lightbulb Sun", "In Absentia"
35007 - Phase V
Innaway - Innaway
Catherine Wheel - Chrome
Camera Obscura - "Underachievers Please Try Harder", "Let's Get Out Of This Country"

Irrelevant but awesome anyway:

Aesthetic Perfection - Close To Human
Fictional - "Fictitious", "Fiction"
Rotersand - Welcome To Goodbye
Neuroticfish - Gelb
Conjure One - "Conjure One", "Extraordinary Ways"
Delerium - "Nuages Du Monde", "Poem", "Karma"

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2006, 18:36 »

Cannibal Corpse.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2006, 21:47 »

Yo La Tengo. My Bloody Valentine. Liars. Mercury Rev. Pavement. Silver Jews.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2006, 00:46 »

your Last FM is ridiculously lacking in TISM. Also maybe get some Iron On or Transport or something for fun.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2006, 00:53 »

Canal Aunt!
Hate, rain on me

camelpimp

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2006, 01:58 »

An-

Oh, nevermind. Pft. You totally took the wind out of my sails.

ForksOfSalvation

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2006, 02:24 »

I didn't look at your last.fm, but you should listen to Pain of Salvation.  :D

jcknbl

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2006, 08:09 »

Pixies, Sebadoh, Sonic Youth, Talking Heads, The Smiths, Joy Division, The Velvet Underground, Bauhaus, the Clash, Blonde Redhead, Of Montreal, Art Brut, the Black Keys

Theres a whole bunch of artists that beneath your top 50 which you've only listened to once or so. Listen to them more.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2006, 22:01 »

this doesn't work if people have varied tastes.

I assure you it does.

Also, your tastes aren't really that varied.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

TrueNeutral

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2006, 01:10 »

Eels

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2006, 05:51 »

You guys do realize that last.fm stats are HORRIBLE indicator of someone's musical taste and/or library, right?? There a bunch of bands I like that I've just never listened to lately to get them on last.fm. I think it's kind of pretentious to listen to bands just to get last.fm stats for them.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2006, 06:21 »

i agree...but if you feel that stongly about bands you don't like anymore you can always delete your stats...

my cousin played blink 182 on my account with outme relizing it

i should fix that at some stage
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

glwtta

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2006, 08:31 »

Well, according to last.fm our tastes are "Super" compatible, so I guess you should just listen to what's in my playlists...

I'm starting to have serious doubts about the scientific underpinnings of the Taste-o-Meter: "You've listened to same same six bands, once! You are soulmates!"  :|

I think it's kind of pretentious to listen to bands just to get last.fm stats for them.

But it's also pretty useful to have them on there.  Or maybe the novelty of it just hasn't worn off for me yet.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2006, 08:49 »

Last.fm's compatibility makes no sense to me. It says I have low compatibility with people I share 6 or 7 bands with, but other people I have high or 'super' compatibility with. Is it based on what bands you listen to, or how often you listen to them/how many times per song??

SpicyGunnar

« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2006, 09:40 »

Would be great if everyone could list by genre ;) just a thought.

Electronic

Growing
Telefon tel aviv
Apparat (Newer albums)

Tip : If you are a fan of various types of electronica go on www.n5md.com, a great label that has its own shoutcast radio

Post Rock/Metal

Godspeed you! black emperor (why the *peep* is this not on recommended listening. I just can't find any post rock that even comes close to being as good)
Isis (This is on RL)
Red Sparrowes

Metal
Meshuggah (Albums Destroy erase improve - Catch 33) This is my favorite metal band
Fredrik Thordendal's special defects - Sol Niger Within (Experimental fusion jazz meets Meshuggah)
Fantomas (Yeah I filed it under Metal). Delirium Cordia being my fav album

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2006, 10:34 »

Last.fm's compatibility makes no sense to me. It says I have low compatibility with people I share 6 or 7 bands with, but other people I have high or 'super' compatibility with. Is it based on what bands you listen to, or how often you listen to them/how many times per song??

The algorithms much more complicated than that. It's based on relative chart positions moderated by the overall popularity of the artist in question, meaning in practice that if you both listen to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, that means less than if you both listen to two very obscure artists, the idea being if you've both sought out these lesser known acts there's probably more you've got in common.  Also, if one of you has an artist as your number one, and the other as your number 100, thats less compatibility than if one has the artist at number forty and the other at number sixty. It's quite clever really. Also, the taste-o-meter only lists the six or so most compatible bands. In the beta it used to display a number which showed you exactly how many artists you had in common but they got rid of it for some reason. The damn thing also has a tendency to really search to get those six. I've seen it chuck up Radiohead and Modest Mouse for me before, artists I must have listened to, at the most, between one and five times each, at various points throughout the last two years.

Have you tried your last.fm recommendations btw, because my musical taste is pretty much all over the paste but mine are normally spot on.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2006, 10:56 »

Yeah, I never really understood how the taste-o-meter works. It's usually right in terms of the meter, somehow, but for me it keeps using bands like Queens of the Stone Age which is a swing and a miss.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #19 on: 18 Dec 2006, 11:25 »

Listen to Clann Zu.  Please.  They are sooooooooooo good.  http://www.clannzu.com/discography
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2006, 20:31 »

The algorithms much more complicated than that. It's based on relative chart positions moderated by the overall popularity of the artist in question, meaning in practice that if you both listen to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, that means less than if you both listen to two very obscure artists, the idea being if you've both sought out these lesser known acts there's probably more you've got in common.  Also, if one of you has an artist as your number one, and the other as your number 100, thats less compatibility than if one has the artist at number forty and the other at number sixty. It's quite clever really. Also, the taste-o-meter only lists the six or so most compatible bands. In the beta it used to display a number which showed you exactly how many artists you had in common but they got rid of it for some reason. The damn thing also has a tendency to really search to get those six. I've seen it chuck up Radiohead and Modest Mouse for me before, artists I must have listened to, at the most, between one and five times each, at various points throughout the last two years.

Have you tried your last.fm recommendations btw, because my musical taste is pretty much all over the paste but mine are normally spot on.

Huh. Well, thanks for clearing that up. I haven't tried my recommendations, mostly because it keeps recommending me stuff I already have heard or don't want to hear.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2006, 22:00 »

One problem with recommendations, if you've joined too many groups, it will be giving you recommendations posted by those groups as well as ones on your chart. It will also occasionally throw up some rather odd things based on obscure elements of your taste, which can be awesome or it can suck. Last.fms given me some amazing new stuff to listen to, but it also keeps trying to recommend me The Magnetic Fields and Franz Ferdinand. The formers probably something to do with Neutral Milk Hotel and Cat Power (Who I very rarely listen to) and the latters probably got something to do with Placebo and British Sea Power. It kinda annoys me though. 

Though its kinda funny to see that stuff popping up next to M?tilation, Absurd and In Slaughter Natives

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2006, 07:17 »

Funny, I'm not a member of any groups. And I only have two friends on last.fm, one of whom uses last.fm maybe once a week.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2006, 07:21 »

Friends won't affect your recommendations. Unless they personally recommend you something, in which case it will come up seperately.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2006, 11:16 »

Well, I'm behind a router, and neither foosic nor last.fm work for me.  I probably have to forward a port, only problem is, I have no idea which one it is.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

glwtta

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #25 on: 19 Dec 2006, 12:21 »

Well, I'm behind a router, and neither foosic nor last.fm work for me.  I probably have to forward a port, only problem is, I have no idea which one it is.

I'm behind the corporate NAT here, and last.fm is working just fine, so it must be doing everything over 80 (we have pretty strict firewall rules).

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #26 on: 20 Dec 2006, 00:08 »

Yeah, last.fm only works over 80. You (Dimmukane) probably don't have it set up right.

Pages: [1]   Go Up