THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A misunderstood masterpiece of mainstream political art.  (Read 21957 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: A misunderstood masterpiece of mainstream political art.
« Reply #50 on: 29 Dec 2006, 07:40 »

Your name makes me want you to die, man.

Just sayin'.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

NiMRoD420

« Reply #51 on: 29 Dec 2006, 08:33 »

My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Just sayin'.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #52 on: 29 Dec 2006, 11:38 »

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're sayin', actually.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

NiMRoD420

« Reply #53 on: 30 Dec 2006, 06:41 »

Neither am I, just so to be clarifyin'.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #54 on: 30 Dec 2006, 21:36 »

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

NiMRoD420

« Reply #55 on: 03 Jan 2007, 03:09 »

That picture makes my insides giggle

Locke

« Reply #56 on: 17 Jan 2007, 16:07 »

One game that I bought for the violence but stayed for the story was Dead Rising.  It would appear to be a simple zombie-killing game, but it actually provides some very pointed political criticism at the government and public opinion.  The story really is one of the best of recent video game memory.

iconoclast

• Plantmonster
  • quaker oats for you, it's the right thing to do
« Reply #57 on: 30 Jan 2007, 12:09 »

It wasn't too long ago, it seems, that no one who did digital manipulations in, say, Photoshop, would have been considered an artist either, and yet now in some art galleries, you see entire displays dedicated to digital prints and the like.  It seems to me that there's an especially strong bias in the arts community against those things, however artisticallly valuable they may be, that come from what may seem like "nerdy" backgrounds; a sense of "if it was done on a computer, it's not real art."  Maybe this is rooted in the same line of thought that produces the analog vs. digital argument in sound?

I wonder if the backlash against computer games as art, or Photoshopping, or whatnot, stem from some people's desire to keep the title of "Artist" exclusive to a sacred few.  For how many years, art was something that only a select few people could create, but anymore, anyone with a few extra bucks to buy some (relatively) cheap equipment can do it.  Anyone that can figure out how to post on a blog can call themselves a writer, anyone with a digital camera and a Flickr account is a photographer, anyone who can play a few chords on a guitar is a musician.  I'm not saying this is inherently bad per se, but modern technology seems to have bridged a HUGE gap that once existed between the "artist" and the "common man."  Is it possible, then, that the arguments against certain forms of art, are nothing but sour grapes?

If I'm not mistaken, Joe Hocking is a game designer; I'd be interested to hear his opinion on the subject.

i'm no game designer, but i'm a graphic designer. i'm entirely used to people thinking of graphic design as "playing with computers", and other more degrading names.

we discuss this strange "difference" between art and design/craft all the time. we can't get a decisive answer.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up