THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 12:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Battlefield 2142 vs. 2  (Read 14380 times)

the_tard

Battlefield 2142 vs. 2
« on: 26 Dec 2006, 00:32 »

I've heard a lot of people say that they preferred BF 2 over 2142. Personally, I like 2142 better. I love titan mode and the new skill tree thingy, and I like the air vehicles better although I still think that there should be a bomber of some sort. Also, getting in a helicopter is not nearly as suicidal as it was in BF2. I like how they mixed they classes as well (assault can now heal and revive) and I think the weapons are just more fun. I play as support and use the auto-turret, shield, and the Ganz HMG. Wondering what your opinions are on 2142 as opposed to BF2.

Alegis

Re: Battlefield 2142 vs. 2
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2006, 01:38 »

Sure BF 2142 may not be that entirely different from 2 tech-wise, but I as well like it much more. Several gameplay changes wchich make it more enjoyable. I got much more frustrated in BF2 from the insta-prone support dudes or helicopters. Infantry is much more better now versus armor raping, and as unit you have way more options available now.

My style in BF2 was what I call "battle medic" (seeking sniper fights, medic mostly for the endurance, while maintaining highest revive score ^^). In 2142 it fits very well with assault.

Jenno

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2006, 18:44 »

I hate the flying vehicles in 2142, they feel like easy mode. It's like they took out all the maneuverability of the choppers in BF2 and replaced them with flying bathtubs.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2006, 02:26 »

I like BF2142 more than BF2, granted I only played the demo for BF2.  I love the drop pods because I don't know how many times I've managed to destroy moving transports or gunships by landing on them.  Titan mode is definitely one of my favorite modes simply because battles on the titan can get hectic. 

So far, I've played as engineer, support and recon. 

Recon is probably my  favorite class because of APM mines and the demo packs.  With a support troop dropping an ammo hub near you in the reactor room, you can drop a titan from 75% hull integrity to nothing in less than a minute.  Not to mention how fulfilling it is to sneak up on an enemy walker and cover it's legs in futuristic C4.  APM mines are just hilarious because they manage to piss some people off so much. I don't really like the Zeller advanced sniper rifle and I always seem to do better with the Park 52 or the Moretti.  With any of those rifles it takes two shots to the body or one shot to the head to kill, so the extra damage the zeller does is not worth having two less rounds per mag.  On top of that, you have a much better field of vision with the default crappy rifles.  With the starter rifles, I can walk away from a round with a few infiltrator pins but with the zeller I can't hit a damn thing. 
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

the_tard

« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2006, 02:31 »

I like playing as support, they just flat out rape anyone who comes down the titan hallway. put up a shield, turret, and ammo box and just huck nades over the shield at the door (ammo hub) until someone comes in, then mow em down with the Ganz. The shotgun s alot of fun close range, but really not as effective as other guns.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2006, 02:43 »

I really hate it when people nade spam the titan hallways, that's why I normally play on servers that will kick you if you do it. 
Do or die, guys!

the_tard

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2006, 12:24 »

I really hate it when people nade spam the titan hallways, 

<-- Guilty. Also, I just unlocked the Bauer and I'm definitely liking it. My friend tells me the Voss is alot better though. Why does the good gun always have the crappy skill tree? (pilum, bauer, sniper)

GileX

« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2006, 16:43 »

Well, it might be a good game if it didnt have TARGETED ADVERTISING BUILT INTO IT. I'm boycotting it and will until it is taken out, advertising has NO PLACE in gaming and never should and im getting very sick of it.

Alegis

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2006, 02:58 »

<-- Guilty. Also, I just unlocked the Bauer and I'm definitely liking it. My friend tells me the Voss is alot better though. Why does the good gun always have the crappy skill tree? (pilum, bauer, sniper)
First went for Voss, then Braun since I love assault. Anyways, it is situational. Voss is more handy for wide open pieces, Braun for the close combat. I switch now and then before I spawn.

the_tard

« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2006, 03:17 »

Well, it might be a good game if it didnt have TARGETED ADVERTISING BUILT INTO IT. I'm boycotting it and will until it is taken out, advertising has NO PLACE in gaming and never should and im getting very sick of it.

Huh? You mean like server ads? I don't really find them that annoying, it's not like they pop up in-game, they're only on the loading screen. If ads are popping up while yu're playing then it's not from battlefield. (unless I've got it totally wrong and you're talking about something else)

Alegis

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2006, 03:23 »

I haven't seen a single ad yet.

Besides, you can block the port from which the ads come easily. See the web!

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2006, 03:37 »

i've got something like 15000 global points in BF2, and I played the BF2142 beta, and I have to say, so far, I like BF2 more. I'm not sure how much has changed between the beta and the retail release however, so I am up for revising my opinion.

2142 just seemed more cluttered, and I disliked titan mode.

GileX

« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2006, 18:07 »

I know i can block them, but its the principle that matters. I may be able to block them but some people who dont know what a port is, may have a little more trouble

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2006, 21:05 »

That's a fairly stupid reason.

"I'm not tying my shoe laces because many people don't know how to."

Fabio

« Reply #14 on: 03 Jan 2007, 05:33 »

I've started playing this recently, i never played 2 so i can't say which is better, 2142 seems a bit fast paced not enough actually

"OH GOD I'M PINNED DOWN, COME SAVE ME GUYZZ" combat kinda stuff

it's all run run run ..i still love it though

...come play with me sometime   IGN: zombie carl

Iron_Fist

• Larger than most fish
  • Derp-derpa doo.
« Reply #15 on: 03 Jan 2007, 15:37 »

I played 2142 on my friends account, assault titan map. Man it was hectic, I was one of three guys defending the reactor and I managed to get about 15 kills in the space of 2 minutes. Assault is broken.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Jenno

• Furry furrier
« Reply #16 on: 03 Jan 2007, 17:45 »

The Australian version doesn't have the advertising "feature", thankfully that shit is illegal here.

Fabio

« Reply #17 on: 03 Jan 2007, 18:50 »

From defending the titan as assualt i managed to come 4th one round with 62 kills, i was so proud of myself =P

nihilist

« Reply #18 on: 03 Jan 2007, 19:24 »

I had a few problems with BF2 that drove me nuts, though it was better than BF:V.  Specifically: the in-game menu being one resolution, and the game itself being another; the difficulty in moving around massive maps; the $10 expansion packs that should have been part of the game as a patch, especially Armoured Fury.

I'm digging on 2142 pretty nicely, even fired up a clan to compete in CAL.  Titan mode is a good way to get lots of career points, but the thing starts to fucking chug like nothing else when the titan shield comes down.  (I'm running it on an AMD X2 4000+, 2GB RAM, 7900GLX SLI mode, so it ain't my damn hardware.)  Personally, I am a support gunner, though I started off as a sniper.  I will fucking destroy you with whatever support gun I'm using.  Those things also have a pretty stupid range on them; I've taken down snipers with them while they were trying to take me out.  I also like the fact that the maps aren't so massive, that there is a nice selection of vehicles, and it isn't armour-heavy.

The one horribly bad thing about 2142:  Fall of Berlin.  That map is by far the worst designed map.  It is so easy to hold everybody at the damn choke point flag, and it is nearly impossible to try to sneak by the right or left sides to try to cap one of the rear flags.  Drives me up the damn wall.

ronin

« Reply #19 on: 03 Jan 2007, 20:21 »

I had a few problems with BF2 that drove me nuts, though it was better than BF:V.  Specifically: the in-game menu being one resolution, and the game itself being another; the difficulty in moving around massive maps; the $10 expansion packs that should have been part of the game as a patch, especially Armoured Fury.

I'm digging on 2142 pretty nicely, even fired up a clan to compete in CAL.  Titan mode is a good way to get lots of career points, but the thing starts to fucking chug like nothing else when the titan shield comes down.  (I'm running it on an AMD X2 4000+, 2GB RAM, 7900GLX SLI mode, so it ain't my damn hardware.)  Personally, I am a support gunner, though I started off as a sniper.  I will fucking destroy you with whatever support gun I'm using.  Those things also have a pretty stupid range on them; I've taken down snipers with them while they were trying to take me out.  I also like the fact that the maps aren't so massive, that there is a nice selection of vehicles, and it isn't armour-heavy.

The one horribly bad thing about 2142:  Fall of Berlin.  That map is by far the worst designed map.  It is so easy to hold everybody at the damn choke point flag, and it is nearly impossible to try to sneak by the right or left sides to try to cap one of the rear flags.  Drives me up the damn wall.

A Recon guy/squad with half a brain will usually work their way around using the active-camo.

Iyeshakintaro is my usernick.

nihilist

« Reply #20 on: 03 Jan 2007, 20:46 »

Support guys have a helmet that tracks camo'd recon guys.  Besides, it is pretty easy to see the shimmer running around.

I'll add you when  I get home in six hours time.

ronin

« Reply #21 on: 03 Jan 2007, 22:46 »

Support guys have a helmet that tracks camo'd recon guys.  Besides, it is pretty easy to see the shimmer running around.

I'll add you when  I get home in six hours time.

Only tracks activation/deactivation.
Didn't stop me using it to knife my support kit using mate.
;)

nihilist

« Reply #22 on: 03 Jan 2007, 23:15 »

then he was a turd stabber who didn't have a team off asshats covering him.

(yes, my clan is called asshats.  big whoop, wanna fight about it?)

Also: quoting the person right about you gets you -5 QC points.

Fabio

« Reply #23 on: 04 Jan 2007, 00:54 »

Gaargh, it annoys me that i got knifed 3 times by my friend (of coarse we were on opposite teams) last game i played i found him prone on the floor facing the other way, I run up to knife him, 2 swipes nothing, then he turned around and shot me.. -_-

nihilist

« Reply #24 on: 04 Jan 2007, 22:00 »

I rolled the same guy eight times in a row.  He really hated me.

Fabio

« Reply #25 on: 05 Jan 2007, 00:21 »

Mine's really piss me of half the time i'm running along BAM dead...wait 15 seconds.... walk along BAM dead >_<

Sometimes i can't even tell what killed me i'll run up to a silo and "CLUGH" dead... 0_o

nihilist

« Reply #26 on: 05 Jan 2007, 01:52 »

I generally can avoid APMs, except when the shiteating knob on the other team uses them as an offensive weapon.  "I can't actually kill people with guns.  Oh, I know what I'll do.  I'll wait around a corner with an APM in my hand, and throw it at the enemy!"

Fabio

« Reply #27 on: 05 Jan 2007, 03:18 »

I've never used an APM myself and never will they're so goddamn annoying, mr mike what's your soldier name?

nihilist

« Reply #28 on: 05 Jan 2007, 06:41 »

In game?  morbid79

ronin

« Reply #29 on: 05 Jan 2007, 07:16 »

If i'm sniping, i'll use them as a knifer deterent.

If i'm more spec-ops suited, ie Carbine, Det pak, I'll use them to cover myself from being hit from behind.

nihilist

« Reply #30 on: 05 Jan 2007, 07:37 »

I don't really ever stop.  Movement is survival for me.

Though if you jump to prone (you know what I'm saying), I will spend the entire round hunting you down as often as I can to shoot you.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #31 on: 06 Jan 2007, 05:04 »

I'll use APM's, but I never use them offensively unless I'm totally screwed.  If I'm sniping and someone gets close then I usually just rely on the pistol.  The only thing that bothers me about the pistols Iron sights is the fact that it seems to be almost impossible to actually see what you are shooting.
Do or die, guys!

ronin

« Reply #32 on: 06 Jan 2007, 08:33 »

Good rule of thumb is if you can see the top of an enemy's head in your sights, it's a good shot.
;)

the_tard

« Reply #33 on: 06 Jan 2007, 14:05 »

I also started out as recon and moved to support. You can only get ganz sniped so many times before you wanna give some back.

nihilist

« Reply #34 on: 08 Jan 2007, 20:14 »

Man, I need more time so I can actually play games.

8ilbo

« Reply #35 on: 08 Jan 2007, 22:28 »

Both shade into insignificance when compared to BF1942....

Mostly because 1942 actually works

Mostly I'm a C4-whore  :oops: :-D

nihilist

« Reply #36 on: 08 Jan 2007, 22:43 »

2142 works quite nicely for me.  1600x1200, everything cranked fully, 80-90FPS solid.

Fabio

« Reply #37 on: 08 Jan 2007, 23:56 »

Everything max is the way to play ^-^

But now and then randomly, not to often i might add, the game just closes to desktop, really sudden like...

nihilist

« Reply #38 on: 09 Jan 2007, 01:31 »

Oh yeah, that still happens.  It is pretty balls.

Fabio

« Reply #39 on: 09 Jan 2007, 01:48 »

I'm pretty sure it happens to everyone it used to happen every game i played in about the first 10 minutes, untill i turned the mic off =/

nihilist

« Reply #40 on: 09 Jan 2007, 01:56 »

I don't have the in-game voice comm active; we use TS2.

Doesn't happen very frequently, perhaps three or four times.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #41 on: 09 Jan 2007, 02:17 »

The only problem I've been having recently is that it will drop the connection frequently, but that isn't something that is specific to 2142.  I'm pretty sure that it's Time Warner's fault.  It started when they merged with Adelphia.   My dad had adelphia but now he's on Time Warner and he's experiencing the same crap I am.
Do or die, guys!

nihilist

« Reply #42 on: 09 Jan 2007, 03:44 »

Could be that or some firewall-related issues.

8ilbo

« Reply #43 on: 09 Jan 2007, 03:48 »

Battlefield 2 doesn't agree with zone-alarm at all...you have to half shut it down to stop BF2 crashing...

I have BF2 because it was cheap, and now so I can play POE2....to pay for 2142 irritates me because I'm paying for an not-really-updated engine and a game thats little more than a mod. From what I understand. Plus I hate funding EA any more than I have to.  :-P

nihilist

« Reply #44 on: 10 Jan 2007, 12:09 »

Hrm.  I have been meaning to ask...  I belong to a clan that competes in CAL for 2142, the 8v8 conquest league.  We're looking for another player or two.  Anybody up for it?

Fabio

« Reply #45 on: 12 Jan 2007, 16:59 »

I would be interested, give me some infomation through IM and/or i'll give you my msn or something :D

I'm a very decent standard due to my mass of counterstrike playing but the 8v8 thing may need getting used to i normally go into 32v32 matches.

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
  • Time for some thrillin' heroics.
« Reply #46 on: 13 Jan 2007, 00:49 »

No offense, but bo-friggity-hoo. Suck it up. Ads are on every single other flat surface on the planet. Deal with it.

Anyways. I've only played the demo for 2142, but I really, really wanted to play with the Battlewalkers (Yeah, I'm a mecha fanboy). Sadly, they weren't near as much fun as I hoped. They're slow, and they got stuck on EVERYTHING. I prefer 2 a bit more, although that's probably because I've been playing 2 for a year and a half nonstop now.

nihilist

« Reply #47 on: 13 Jan 2007, 01:28 »

I would be interested, give me some infomation through IM and/or i'll give you my msn or something :D

I'm a very decent standard due to my mass of counterstrike playing but the 8v8 thing may need getting used to i normally go into 32v32 matches.

Pubbing/large scale gaming is totally different from 5v5 and 8v8 games.  But yeah, assuming you have some spare time and are dedicated, it'll be good.  We generally play from 8PM-midnight EST.

Fabio

« Reply #48 on: 13 Jan 2007, 02:01 »

hmm, well i would be very into that idea but what time is 8PM- midnight over here in england...=/ unless you're in england too..

nihilist

« Reply #49 on: 13 Jan 2007, 02:27 »

Heh, hence the EST.  GMT -5.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up