THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 12:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pursuit Of Happyness  (Read 4371 times)

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Pursuit Of Happyness
« on: 28 Dec 2006, 12:28 »

I vaguely remember someone posting something about this, but I couldn't find anything doing a search, so here's a new topic:  Who all has seen this yet, and what were your thoughts?

I watched it tonight, and it was a lot less shitty than I expected it to be.  Certain parts of it were, of course, rather predictable, but apart from that and the sort of  "I want an Oscar too!" vibe that I got from Will Smith, it really wasn't that bad a film.  I enjoyed it, I got a chill or two at points, and overall it was much better than I had anticipated.

My only real major problem was the deliberate mis-spelling of Happyness was explained in only a half-assed manner, and really contributed next to nothing to the story.  That, and the predictability, but when it's a "based on a true story" film, you don't have much room to maneuver around that I guess...
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

bandm

Re: Pursuit Of Happyness
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2006, 18:35 »

Ah, I was wondering if there was a reason, or if there was some new American spelling that I was not aware of. Either way, the word hurts my eyes too much and I can't go to see the movie because of it. Bad spelling is evil.

AllBad

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2006, 23:48 »

I enjoyed it, which surprised me, too.
I thought it was an original storyline, and I thought the various interviews with the original man whose life they base the film on were interesting, but yeah, I didn't expect too much from the film.
Yet, while I doubt Will Smith is actually going to -get- that Oscar, I did like watching it.

I need to check up on who all is nominated for which Oscars this year...

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2006, 04:41 »

i'm pretty sure the deliberate misspelling is a marketing ploy. "Pursuit of Happiness" brings up way to many hits on google.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2006, 12:04 »

I'm fine with that, if they had bothered to put more than 7 half-assed seconds into writing it into the storyline better.  Although, I wonder, is that also the title of the book?  Does marketing play into it so much then?
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Guardian 452

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2006, 13:43 »

I liked the movie a lot.  It was a lot better than I would've given it credit for.

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2006, 09:34 »

I certainly want to see this movie.

I'm one of those people that don't normally see typos, or any gradual misspellings.

I watched a thing on TV, about the movie, and the guy behind it. Very inspiring, I say.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #7 on: 02 Jan 2007, 18:43 »

i'm pretty sure the deliberate misspelling is a marketing ploy. "Pursuit of Happiness" brings up way to many hits on google.

No matter what dennis ever posts, I always find myself having a hard time being able to argue with Gregory House.  It's convenient when I agree with him, though, as is the case here.  Then I feel smart and like maybe someday I'll get to write on the dry erase board.

Entilzah

« Reply #8 on: 02 Jan 2007, 19:05 »

Does marketing play into it so much then?

Answer....Yes

Marketing play a major key role in everything we see.....whether we realize it or not.

bujiatang

« Reply #9 on: 03 Jan 2007, 06:59 »

nothing is free.

I saw it and liked it.  Smith has never done better work.

JCnNJ

« Reply #10 on: 03 Jan 2007, 07:17 »

Never done better work?  Not even when he played Ali?

bujiatang

« Reply #11 on: 04 Jan 2007, 03:11 »

I'd say so.  He was very good in that one too, but I think he was better in this one. 

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #12 on: 04 Jan 2007, 12:22 »

I think he put a lot of personal feelings into it.

When they visited the bathroom they had to stay in, Smith wanted to stay in there, just for a moment, by himself, and he cried.

So yeah, I'm sure it's his best work to date.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #13 on: 04 Jan 2007, 16:58 »

He cried, huh? Did he shed a single tear?

kokeyjoe

« Reply #14 on: 04 Jan 2007, 17:23 »

I cried when he exploded the living hell out of those aliens with his F-16.  Five times.

Edit:  Oh yeah, and that one other time when he made a joke at Carlton's expense.  Tear-jerkingly good.

everythingisalright

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2007, 22:07 »

Is it just me that didn't enjoy this movie? I was really disappointed to be honest, i was expecting a lot more and maybe thats why i didn't enjoy it as much as i thought. I think that mainly i just struggled to find the storyline in it. The emotional and realistic part of it however was excellent. I did by the way, enjoy the joke "knock knock, whos there? nobody...nobody who?" that made me giggle.

Thorondel

« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2007, 18:48 »

Yeah, I really did enjoy this movie. I found the cinematography to be well done, if nothing amazing, the story to be somewhat happyer than I expected. Well, the ending at least. I do think that it was the best acting I've ever seen Will Smith do; I was very impressed with it.

The one thing I didn't like was the scene where Will Smith's son drops his Action Figure, and can't go get it. It just struck me as unnecessary and trite, because I immediately made me think of that Star Trek episode or movie (I saw it forever and a half ago) where the little girl drops her doll on the Enterprise, and the other million and a half similar scenes. Overall though, it was very well done, and an inspiring, if emotionally draining, movie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up