THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 00:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: pan's labyrinth  (Read 20902 times)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
pan's labyrinth
« on: 29 Dec 2006, 21:08 »

i've wanted to see this movie more than any other for months. and now, on it's release date, i've discovered that it won't be playing at any theaters anywhere nearby. according to movietickets.com, nowhere within 40 miles. all i have to say is, "what the fuck?!?!?!"
why would such a critically acclaimed movie be getting such a limited release? and are there any plans for a wider release later on? i need to see this movie and i don't want to wait for the dvd months from now.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
Re: pan's labyrinth
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2006, 06:50 »

I believe the wider release is on January 12th.  At least, that's when it's opening at the theatre nearest me, and when I plan on seeing it.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2006, 08:52 »

Oh man. I seriously can't wait for this movie.

alexalexalex

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2006, 19:16 »

I saw it a few weeks ago at my local art gallery/cinema dealy. It's an AMAZING movie! Fucking brutal though, I nearly cried.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2006, 21:42 »

argh it looks so good! i was all prepared to wait for the 29th when i thought it was getting a wide release. damn staggered releases!

Hollow Press (my blog)

Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: 05 Jan 2007, 22:56 »

I've seen a couple previews but I dont remember if they gave anything away about the story.  So what is it even supposed to be about?  I just know I want the damn poster because its amazing.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #6 on: 05 Jan 2007, 23:03 »

It is one of those films you do not want to know about because it is so awesome. ABSOLUTELY FUCKING AWESOME. It is one of my favourite films ever now. All you are gonna get as a description is "fairy tale for adults". And then an instruction to go watch it. NOW.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Hewittv18

« Reply #7 on: 05 Jan 2007, 23:06 »

Can't wait to see it! Hopefully it will come to the silly south!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2007, 08:51 »

holy crap, i just saw it and it's frickin unbelievable! it was so damn good, easily the best movie i've seen all year and one of the best i've seen in much longer. pretty damn gruesome, yeh, but even if you don't have a strong stomach for that stuff it's worth sitting through. i didn't think it would be as good as it was. well, it was worth the wait and i'm glad they finally decided to release it on a wider scale

Hollow Press (my blog)

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2007, 19:52 »

Yeah it is awesome. Although it is completely fucking brutal.

I'd say being in Spanish made it better.

heather

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2007, 15:21 »

I finally got to see this tonight, and it was spectacular. I pretty much cried at the end. I for sure will be buying this when it comes out on dvd.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2007, 20:22 »

Wow. Just came back from a late-night screening. I'm going to be thinking about this movie for a long time.

Really interesting film, and towards the end I started to wonder how real any of the fantastical stuff was. I had a strange thought that maybe the whole point of the film was that all that stuff was a little girl's way of dealing with incredibly traumatic circumstances. That's kind of the way I'm leaning, though I haven't entirely convinced myself. I love the ambiguity of it all.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2007, 00:19 »

why would such a critically acclaimed movie be getting such a limited release?

Welcome to modern cinema. Do you have your ticket for Saw IV?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2007, 00:46 »

the economics of modern cinema make me want to cry

Garfield
Box Office: $75,253,404

Cheaper by the Dozen
Box Office: $138,507,634

Pan's Labyrinth:
Box Office: $4,834,269

Hollow Press (my blog)

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2007, 10:53 »

Don't worry. It'll make tons once it's an underground cult favorite.
Boredom Makes You Cool.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2007, 14:12 »

That's a nice dream you have there.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2007, 14:56 »

Is there a faun in the dream?

BillAdama

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jan 2007, 01:03 »

It really was an amazing movie.  They had two totally different genres going on parallel, both of which were great on their own.  Together they came together to pull off the whole escapism theme brilliantly.

The ads misrepresent the movie a bit.  Like 70% of the movie takes place in the real world and focuses on the Spanish rebellion class conflict plot.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #18 on: 22 Jan 2007, 02:47 »

I've only seen pieces of this film as part of my Film Studies group's Fantasy week, (so we watched the more fantastical bits) but it looks great and I'm hoping to borrow it from a friend. But having seen the end I agree with the explanation that she's dealing with a trauma. Seems the way the director was wanting it anyway.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #19 on: 22 Jan 2007, 03:10 »

SPOILER ALERT!!

idk, it's ambiguous. explain how the mandrake root made the mother temporarily better, and when discovered and thrown on the flames it screamed. this wasn't just witnessed by ofelia i don't think. also, wasn't one of the doors she made with the chalk found by the rebels when they stormed the mill? she managed to escape from her locked room and this only seems plausible if she used to the chalk to make a new door. just b/c the captain didn't see the faun doesn't mean it wasn't there. he didn't believe so he didn't see it but that doesn't mean it didn't really exist, in my opinion. but i'm undecided really. it's very debatable...

Hollow Press (my blog)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jan 2007, 03:57 »

I love the ambiguity of it all.

Yeah, exactly.  Without giving away too much I absolutely love the fairly unflinching execution of it all.  At points I think maybe they went a little too over the top, showing certain things that weren't necessarily required for the story to progress, but then again these things added to the overall feel of discomfort that I realise they were shooting for.  There was only really one moment near the end of the film (ring of horses) where I felt they backed off a little, but that doesn't mean I didn't inwardly cheer a little when they did.

[5/5]

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jan 2007, 06:51 »

Amazing movie.  Amazing.  I cried, I laughed - totally brutal, but totally genius at the same time.  An emotional roller coaster?  I don't think I can explain how amazing this movie was without melting into a puddle of film critic cliches.
Just - go watch it if you haven't.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #22 on: 24 Jan 2007, 04:44 »

Saw it last Friday.  Absolutely fantastic, best film I've seen in a while.  Loved the ambiguity as well, so many little hints pointing in both directions.  I plan on dragging some more friends to see it sometime soon.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #23 on: 24 Jan 2007, 04:47 »

I am going to go see it tomorrow and I haven't been this excited about seeing a movie in a long time.

I heard it was very, very violent. Is this true?
Hate, rain on me

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #24 on: 24 Jan 2007, 04:53 »

no, i wouldn't say so. there are some moments that are very brutal but as a whole there isn't much extreme violence. there are a couple gruesome bits of torture and a fair amount of gunshot deaths but as a whole the violence is a little exaggerated on forums. the parts that are violent are very intense though.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #25 on: 24 Jan 2007, 06:05 »

The violence that is present is made all the more intense by the fact that it happens relatively rarely in the movie.  With most "violent" films, the violence is constant, and you get used to it fairly fast.  Here, you settle down after a bit of it, and then the violence returns, and it's kind of shocking every time.

Fiddler

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jan 2007, 08:30 »

Dark Flame pretty much has it right.  You just need to think about this movie as a fairy tale more in the lines of the Grimm's Fairy Tales.   Speaking of Grimm's, I have to say that Pan's Labyrinth is what I wish the Terry Gilliam movie had turned out to be and I'm so glad someone got it right.

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jan 2007, 09:52 »

I agree with Fiddler, Pan's seems to trounce previous Hollywood endeavors in blending fiction and reality- I in particular didn't find "The Brothers Grimm" to do its fairy tale background justice. These days, solid CGI work can't cover up cliches  :wink:.

But seriously, I cannot wait to see Pan's in the theater <3 (my friends who were dubious about Pan's worth shall be pleasantly surprised... and I will be the smug one! PWAHAHA!).

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #28 on: 24 Jan 2007, 13:09 »

I nearly shit my pants when that weird fucking thing with the eyes in its hand started to move.

And it wasn't even that terrifying a creature, but its motionlessness, the soundtrack, and the eerie nature of everything in that place just came together perfectly and created a fantastic suspense scene.

LEARN SOMETHING FROM THIS, HOLLYWOOD.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

bujiatang

Pan's Labrynth
« Reply #29 on: 24 Jan 2007, 21:03 »

Wicked good movie. The ending was perfectly dark. I cannot say more without spoiling.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Re: Pan's Labrynth
« Reply #30 on: 24 Jan 2007, 21:21 »

This, I'm assuming, is an entire different movie than the one currently being discussed exactly four threads below this one?

Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Peet

• Curry sauce
  • The Second Gabber
Re: Pan's Labrynth
« Reply #31 on: 24 Jan 2007, 21:33 »

Quote from: Slick
I think Astaldo should be the next Dr. Who

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Hollow Press (my blog)

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #33 on: 25 Jan 2007, 05:40 »

I finally saw it just a few minutes ago and GOD was it ever pertasterfulsum! (Perfect, fantastic, wonderful,  awesome.)

The scene with the Pale Man was one of the best movie scenes I have yet to see.. I was actually creeped out, which is rare. Also, the dude getting his face smashed in by the bottle made me wince.
Hate, rain on me

Mnementh

« Reply #34 on: 25 Jan 2007, 17:14 »

Merged.

bujiatang

« Reply #35 on: 25 Jan 2007, 21:01 »

wow, I missed the boat on that one.

alonelyargonaut

« Reply #36 on: 26 Jan 2007, 07:03 »

this was a glorious movie.  i love the fact that...

spoilers

the entire thing could easily be just a fabrication of the girl's mind

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #37 on: 26 Jan 2007, 11:37 »

*MORE SPOILERS*

If so, then how could Vidal have seen the root that Ofelia had placed, and how could the root have affected Ofelia's mother so?
Hate, rain on me

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #38 on: 26 Jan 2007, 11:41 »

YET MORE SPOILERS!
She could have gotten the root anywhere, and the mother was in a stressful situation - that could have affected her just as much as the root had.
If you think the magic was real, then that one "slip" where vidal was going through the labyrinth and saw Ofelia alone, when she imagined herself in the kingdom - now that's ambiguous!

Locke

« Reply #39 on: 26 Jan 2007, 12:38 »

Its nominated for a shit lot of academy awards, including best foreign film, which it should bloody well win.

Seriously amazing film.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #40 on: 26 Jan 2007, 22:39 »

it actually freaked me out...in a good way

afterward my friend and I were joking as a way to get rid of how freaked out we were
I absolutley loved this movie, I am glad that she picked it over Smokin' Aces

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #41 on: 27 Jan 2007, 01:59 »

YET MORE SPOILERS!
She could have gotten the root anywhere, and the mother was in a stressful situation - that could have affected her just as much as the root had.
If you think the magic was real, then that one "slip" where vidal was going through the labyrinth and saw Ofelia alone, when she imagined herself in the kingdom - now that's ambiguous!

Vidal cannot and does not deserve to see a creature that is completely of the Underworld.
Hate, rain on me

jolijn

« Reply #42 on: 27 Jan 2007, 04:31 »

Awesome movie! The most intense part for me was
.SPOILIN.
The thing with the eyes in its hands. It was like something out of a Silent Hill game or movie. I didn't really understand why the fairies wanted her to open the middle box though. Was that relevant?

How was the FX done on this movie? Was it just all makeup or some CGI... or what, because it looked amazing.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #43 on: 27 Jan 2007, 05:48 »

YET MORE SPOILERS!

Vidal cannot and does not deserve to see a creature that is completely of the Underworld.
MORE SPOILERS
Well, now you're just makin' up the rules.  I could also say "Well, Ofelia has a history with mental disorders and is borderline/schizophrenic."  That doesn't make it true though.
There were suggestions in either direction - is it real? (the fact that the fairies, around everyone else, were insects, but she still called them fairies) is it fake? (the chalk on the wall when she is trying to escape her room)
I think it's up to the viewer to decide, and I decided that the girl gets the cut in the end.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #44 on: 27 Jan 2007, 09:02 »

I realize the ambiguity. I was half-being a smartass. You raise some good points though. Good work.
Hate, rain on me

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #45 on: 27 Jan 2007, 16:40 »

Saw it today after great leagues of effort (which failed) to get a girl to go see it with me.

Deh. Nowhere near the level of quality as this thread would have you believe, personally.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #46 on: 27 Jan 2007, 19:49 »

I realize the ambiguity. I was half-being a smartass. You raise some good points though. Good work.
[/quote
Still being half a smartass?  I can't tell.
They should come up with a punctuation point for those using sarcasm/irony and it should be highly sarcastic ironic.
I know it's always good work, though, to take threads rull serious, so I guess I'll stop being a tard either way.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #47 on: 29 Jan 2007, 19:21 »

being the fairy tale fanatic i am, i absolutely LOVED this movie. the faun looked amazing. the ambiguity of the story was played off very well. even though it was quite graphic at points, it lets the viewer understand just how awful those people were. i will definitely be buying this.

and this isn't really a spoiler, but the thing with the eyes in the hands FREAKED ME OUT. ugh. they really matched his appearence with what he was.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Peter Harris

« Reply #48 on: 01 Feb 2007, 15:04 »

This movie was pretty good.  I have to say it blew me away.  I didn't think that the winter season was going to offer anything better than The Prestige, but I was wrong.  It offered TWO movies that were better, and one of them was Pan's Labyrinth.

The other one, which I actually thought was far superior to Pan's Labyrinth, was The Children of Men.  One of my favorite Michael Caine performances to date, solid performances by Clive Owen, Julainne Moore and Chiwitel Ejiofor (one of my new favorite performers), and a great premise.  Amazing use of special effects to get the little details down instead of big special flashy effects, and some of the most amazing sets I have seen in any movie.  (There is a seven minute shot following the characters through the bombed out streets of the future.  No cuts, no computers - they built the whole goddamn city.)  And personally, I thought it was a better film than Pan's Labyrinth.

GirlwithaGun

« Reply #49 on: 01 Feb 2007, 18:41 »

Awesome movie! The most intense part for me was
.SPOILIN.
The thing with the eyes in its hands. It was like something out of a Silent Hill game or movie. I didn't really understand why the fairies wanted her to open the middle box though. Was that relevant?

How was the FX done on this movie? Was it just all makeup or some CGI... or what, because it looked amazing.

I'd say that the fairies told her to open the middle box as a test.  If she was the real princess, she'd know that it was the left one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up