THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 20:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairy Tales That Don't Make Sense  (Read 4616 times)

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Fairy Tales That Don't Make Sense
« on: 04 Mar 2007, 07:35 »

Why didn't the three bears just put some milk in their porridge to cool it off, instead of going for a walk? Surely experience would have told them that it was going to cool at different rates since it was in different sized bowls. Also, it was probably all cold and lumpy by the time they got back anyway, since Goldilocks had enough time to break up the furniture and then fall asleep.

Also, why on earth would the miller go bragging that his daughter could spin straw into gold when she clearly couldn't? What would possess someone to make such an outlandish claim? Why on earth would the king believe this claim?
Ho, ho, ho!

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
Re: Fairy Tales That Don't Make Sense
« Reply #1 on: 04 Mar 2007, 09:32 »

Firstly, I don't think that the stories would have been very INTERESTING if they did the obvious thing.

Secondly:
--The Three Bears: They are bears. Where would they get milk from? Do you really think that any cow would come within ten feet of a -bear-, much less let one MILK it?! I mean, I know this is the land of fairy tales, but still...

--Rumplestiltskin (...how does ANYONE spell that?!): I think it was an honor thing, trying to talk up his daughter, get her married off. Make her seem a lot more impressive then she really was. He never thought that he might have to make her PROVE that. The moral of that story: Don't make claims, because they're gonna get your daughter killed unless you believe in leprechans!

Morokrat

« Reply #2 on: 04 Mar 2007, 14:21 »

1. the german spelling would be "Rumpelstilzchen".

2. they are fairy tales, and, as such, not meant to make sense. and they mostly do not, because, if they would, the whole construct of moral teachings that is being built by problems and situations removed from the reality of the children would not work. seriously, while we're at it, why didn't snow white's mother just stab her? why didn't haensel+gretel's parents simply make sure they would not come back? because the story just wouldn't work that way.

doki

« Reply #3 on: 04 Mar 2007, 14:33 »

you wanna talk about not making sense?

how come we still allow things like Cinderella to see the light of day in todays politically correct nightmareworld

come on! the message is "if you are beautiful, everything will work out!" what kind of message is that, seriously?!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4 on: 04 Mar 2007, 15:25 »

because most of these tales are meant to teach some sort of lesson.

the cinderella thing for modern day times is pretty silly, though, because it applied only to women for the time period in which it was written, because, well, that's what they wanted women to be - pretty and submissive.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2007, 15:29 by Linds »
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Jesus

« Reply #5 on: 04 Mar 2007, 16:12 »

SOME DUDE KISSED ME, I WAS CRUCIFIED, RESURRECTED, THEN ASCENED BODILY INTO HEAVEN.

NOW THEY SELL FIGURINES OF ME FOR YOUR DASHBOARD. SERIOUSLY, I GAVE UP ON THIS PLACE A LONG TIME AGO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up