THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: pan's labyrinth  (Read 20598 times)

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Re: pan's labyrinth
« Reply #50 on: 01 Feb 2007, 19:03 »

Either that, or the fairies ain't what they're cracked up to be.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #51 on: 01 Feb 2007, 19:33 »

Well Doug Jones, who played the Faun and the Pale Man, was entirely donned in make-up for his scenes, like he was as Abe Sapien (Hellboy).

As far as the box choice goes, my teacher brought up a good point in that if she had chosen the middle box, sacrifice may have not been necessary to achieve her goal. I like your point better, though, GUN.
Hate, rain on me

jolijn

« Reply #52 on: 02 Feb 2007, 01:49 »

Maybe, except we'll never know what was in the middle box. Or the right one. Maybe the key wouldn't/didn't fit and that's why she chose the left.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #53 on: 02 Feb 2007, 04:30 »

I like my explanation. It requires a bare minimum of over-analysis.

Over-analysis makes me tired. Go with the flow, kids!

Peter Harris

« Reply #54 on: 02 Feb 2007, 09:50 »

Maybe she was supposed to put the key in the fourth door that only faerie princesses can see.  I didn't see one in the movie, but then, I am not a faerie princess.

bujiatang

« Reply #55 on: 04 Feb 2007, 19:52 »

Maybe the reason why Pan's Labyrinth isn't seeing wide release, is that Americans do not want to think about Franco. 

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #56 on: 04 Feb 2007, 22:02 »

I would be genuinely surprised if most Americans knew who Franco was.

bujiatang

« Reply #57 on: 04 Feb 2007, 22:14 »

And that, partly, is my point.  It is like we ignored Spain, I can't help but imagine the whole country went on vacation.  No one translates Spanish fiction from the mid 20th century, few movies from that period are available in the States, its not like the country had done nothing for arts and entertainment it just does make it here.  And this strikes me as very very cryptic.

Who made the decision to isolate Spain? All I can see coming from this is bad education about another country. pun intended.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #58 on: 27 Feb 2007, 07:43 »

ZOMBIE-FYING AN OLD THREAD!

FInally got the chance to see this movie last night...holy crap, I think it might be one of the best movie's I've seen in ages. Just gorgeous the whole way through.

I kept waiting for the Faun to turn out to be a bad guy though...
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

bujiatang

« Reply #59 on: 27 Feb 2007, 07:49 »

I think it is awesome how the father had his own romantic fairy tale he was trying to live.  Only for it die with him too.  For me it shows how even adults have their own myths and security blankets, while they might be different from a child's myths and security blankets perhaps no more or less valid than a child's.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #60 on: 27 Feb 2007, 09:18 »

I kept waiting for the Faun to turn out to be a bad guy though...
Good, I wasn't the only one, then.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Alarra

« Reply #61 on: 27 Feb 2007, 15:29 »

Yeah, me too...I totally thought he was/should have been a bad guy.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #62 on: 27 Feb 2007, 16:14 »

I thought he was good up until Mercedes said her mother never said to trust fauns and then he got a bit more aggressive and made me doubt him. Which I didn't want to do, because he looked freaking amazing.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

jolijn

« Reply #63 on: 27 Feb 2007, 16:46 »

Well it didnt help that he spoke all mean

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #64 on: 27 Feb 2007, 18:02 »

But, then again, she did disobey the rules!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #65 on: 27 Feb 2007, 18:14 »

My favorite part was the conversation they had about the tablet.
"That's you, and that's me!"
"But what about the baby?  Who's that?"
"Uh. . ."

Yeah, he was totally sinister.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #66 on: 27 Feb 2007, 19:24 »

Yeah but you know what was awesome? When the evil guy told the rebels to give his son his watch so he could be evil like his daddy and they were all like, NO, dude, you suck, and then shot him. In the FACE.

In other words, the stepdad scared me a lot more than the faun. The faun was a bit iffy, but he did not smash some guy's face in with a wine bottle for, well, telling the truth.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #67 on: 27 Feb 2007, 19:43 »

That part made me cringe a lot. And after Mercedes cut his cheek and he was sewing it shut... The sound of it alone (I was definately looking away) was making my stomach turn.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #68 on: 27 Feb 2007, 19:48 »

Whether they used prosthetics or whatever, the sewing of the cheek-wound was definitely very well-done.

And the bottle scene.. uurgghh. I super-cringed.
Hate, rain on me

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #69 on: 27 Feb 2007, 20:49 »

SPOILERS, DUHR.

Having been 5 days since seeing Pan's Labyrinth, I'm still trying to piece together why I am so in love with this movie.

The Pale Man was the most amazing horror sequence I've ever witnessed across any media, bar none, although I found Ofelia's greed a bit odd, especially considering the scary-ass monster sitting at the table next to her. When he came to life and started chomping on fairy-faces, she seemed to recoil from the fact that anything could harm her or her friends, which might support the idea that it was her own fantasy world. While I thought the Pale Man's stance, with his hands up by his face, was almost silly, I couldn't help but feel all-the-more drawn in, and the paintings that Ofelia saw as she scanned the dining room only added to this perverted fairy tale. I certainly agree that he (it?) reminded me of a Silent Hill monster, but the entire scene was pulled off ten times better than any similar Hollywood experience.

The Faun still gives me shivers. I never fully trusted his character during the movie, nor did I after the ending, but perhaps that's to be expected. If he was waiting so long for Ofelia to waltz by, I imagine he had reason to be as impatient (and indeed, as straightforward) as he was. When she had an "accident", he was perhaps rightly outraged, as she could have been built up in his mind as the perfect ruler. Can anyone tell me why the movie is called "Pan's Labyrinth", when his name is never mentioned throughout the film? EDIT: So I wiki'd the name origin, and it stems from the faun-like Greek god Pan. Go figure.

As a side note, does anyone know if there's an official soundtrack? Some of these songs make me want to cry like a little girl.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2007, 20:54 by Melodic »
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #70 on: 28 Feb 2007, 06:57 »

Available on iTunes.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #71 on: 28 Feb 2007, 07:15 »

So, I saw the movie a few days ago and here's what I think.

Holy God were the special effects well done. From the cheek being sewn shut to the bottle in the face to getting shot to hell at the end, everything was amazingly well done and the movie deserved its Oscar for Best Cinematography (Well, it deserved Best Foreign Language Film, too, but hey.). I thought the movie was beautiful and the soundtrack was really very good.

HOWEVER.

I left the theater enjoying the movie, but wishing there had been MORE to it. The two storylines were so completely seperate that it disheartened me. The girl's storyline could have been its own movie, the war story could have been its own movie, and both would probably have had more focus and worked better than the mash-up they had. It felt to me as if two different people wrote two different stories and then they stuck 'em together at the same time. I would have absolutely LOVED this movie if it had combined the elements of fantasy and reality a little more effectively. As it is all you get is the scene with the root being tossed in the fire and the ending. And even the ending only kind of.

Having just seen Science of Sleep a week earlier, a movie that SO effectively blended fantasy and reality, maybe my expectations were too high. I really enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth, but I just felt it wasn't as good as it could have been, especially with such a unique visual style, presence, atmosphere and set of ideas.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #72 on: 28 Feb 2007, 08:43 »

I agree with that it deserved 3+ awards, Children of Men should have had best cinematography without a shadow of a doubt. I'm really kind of upset about it.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #73 on: 28 Feb 2007, 11:21 »

Melodic, the title refers to the god Pan from Greek mythology. He is a god of nature and is in the form of a FAUN (wink wink nudge nudge). The faun is actually sometimes called Pan in cast listings of the movie.
Hate, rain on me

Lukeypoo

« Reply #74 on: 28 Feb 2007, 11:49 »

I just saw Pan's Labyrinth last night and it was one of the best movies I've seen at theatres in ages. The art style was gorgeous, the story was brilliant and the actors were immaculate. I highly recommend seeing this movie in theatres if you can.

SPOILER
That Pale Man was one of the coolest monsters I've ever seen. And the tension in that room before she ate the grapes was so masterfully done. Those paintings of the babys being murdered and the pile of childrens shoes were so horrifying and such a great touch.

Best $5 I ever spent :)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #75 on: 01 Mar 2007, 14:53 »

Children of Men should have had best cinematography without a shadow of a doubt. I'm really kind of upset about it.

I couldn't agree more and I was shocked that it didn't win. Pan deserved the best foreign film win but I would contest that it did not have the best cinemotography at all. COM was amazingly done and some of the shots were simply mind blowing.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #76 on: 01 Mar 2007, 16:46 »

thats just my problem. pan's was cool looking but from a cinematic viewpoint the filming was nothing more than standard. children of men had some of the most incredibly put togethe scenes, especially all of the one shots, of which there were many many many.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up